Gay Bashing: Would You Try to Stop It?

Gay Bashing: Would You Try to Stop It?

There are 45 comments on the abcnews.go.com story from Mar 24, 2009, titled Gay Bashing: Would You Try to Stop It?. In it, abcnews.go.com reports that:

With the election of the first African-American president, the nation ushered in a new era of tolerance and acceptance. The visible shift in American ideology brought forth bright expectations for people across the spectrum. But will all communities benefit from this change? With sexual orientation hate crimes consistently on the rise in the past decade, we wondered.

(ABC News)Watch the story on "What Would You Do?" tonight at 10 ET.

To test Americans' increasing open-mindedness, we staged a verbal gay-bashing scenario at a local sports bar in Linden, N.J. We hired actor Vince August to play a homophobic patron. Dusty St. Amand and Dominic Benevento, a gay couple in real life, played the targets of his slurs. Two additional actors, Traci Hovel and Brad Lee Wind, played a heterosexual couple at the opposite end of the bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at abcnews.go.com.

Since: Jul 07

Cincinnati, OH

#26 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Resorting to name-calling again, are we? Ok. I'll take the higher road on this one.
LOL

The higher road being the road that leads away from you having to explain how your trolling is helping to destroy religion in this country.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#27 Mar 24, 2009
devons wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL
You should probably read the article first before commenting.
Plus you just proved my point. Thanks.
I know you are an ass just pretending to get attention. Does it ever bother you that you are helping to destroy religion in this country?
If someones feels that thier religion is being "destroyed" as you put it...then Obviously THAT person Doesn't have the Faith they proclaim to have. It's sooo obvious.
MandM

Montgomery, AL

#28 Mar 24, 2009
devons wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
The higher road being the road that leads away from you having to explain how your trolling is helping to destroy religion in this country.
Actually, my posting, and others, has helped some people who are seeking refuge from the homosexual lifestyle. Has it helped you? Otherwise, I could keep posting!

Since: Jul 08

Wayne, IL

#29 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that you don't like me over your atheist friends, but I think that jumping in would give me the opportunity to share the Gospel with them. I would not do it to advocate their lifestyle, but to share God's message of redemption to lost souls.
What are you smoking? How in the world do you envision interjecting yourself into an event where one group is bashing another, and in the resolution there's an opportunity to proselytize? It's simply wrong for anyone to be bullied. Frequently when I'm out with my wife and children, I have to speak to someone about offensive language, but it's never turned into a preaching opportunity. Here's the procedure: Make the inappropriate behavior stop. Illicit an apology if there is one. Move on.

Cincinnati, OH

#30 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, my posting, and others, has helped some people who are seeking refuge from the homosexual lifestyle. Has it helped you? Otherwise, I could keep posting!
ROFL

You silly.

I must admit you've given me a few laughs....but then I remember your passtime is helping destroy religion in this country.

Cincinnati, OH

#31 Mar 24, 2009
Disgusted American wrote:
<quoted text>If someones feels that thier religion is being "destroyed" as you put it...then Obviously THAT person Doesn't have the Faith they proclaim to have. It's sooo obvious.
I agree that there are those that live on the fence about their faith. People like MandM send them to the side that would rather believe there is no God....just idiots like MandM.

Those like MandM on these boards give the nice quite religious folks that use their faith for good a bad name.

“Proud to be Mahu”

Since: Sep 07

Sacramento, CA

#32 Mar 24, 2009
If you would not stand up to it and stop it, then you are tacitly condoning it. Hell yes, I would stop it -- there is no place for violent abuse of someone simply because of the way they are, whether that be due to race, gender, or sexuality.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#33 Mar 24, 2009
This reminds me of the piece one the stations did where they had a gay couple sitting on a park bench being affectionate. People started calling the police who actually came and told the men to stop. Unfortunately the police station was aware of the news story so radioed the officer to inform him he was being taped for television. The officer's demeanor quickly changed. It's too bad that call came when it did because if those men had refused, saying they were not breaking the law, the officer, I'm sure, would have arrested them with a trumped up charge.

It would have been interesting for this particular news story to have taken place in some smaller more redneck town where the whole bar would have been ready to bash the gay men.

“Clobbering Back ”

Since: Jun 08

One post at a time.....

#34 Mar 24, 2009
We would. Most bashers pick a person that they feel that can overtake. If we saw someone in trouble that person would then have to deal with the two of us. We know how to fight.

I would recommend that anyone thinking about bashing to make sure you health insurance is paid up.

I did not read the article, but just the title so if my response is not on point please forgive me.

“That's Mama Luigi to you too”

Since: Jun 08

Orange County,CA

#37 Mar 24, 2009
uncle ted wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Thats to bad maybe a good ass kickin would have put the dicksmokers back in the closet where they belong.
If don't like Gay snuggling Cover your eyes, rather then spending 10-20 years for assault and battery, where you could be someone's bitch.

“Married as I can be!”

Since: Jun 07

Las Vegas

#38 Mar 24, 2009
Cockroach_Sleeper wrote:
yes, but it would piss me off. pissed because I live in a cockroach country where stopping a gay-bashing cockroach with deadly force is necessary.
buy a gun and protect yourself and your family. the cockroaches hate you and will kill when they have the chance.
cockroach = christian
christian = cockroach
I understand your vehemence, but is it really necessary to bash Christians (I'm not, btw)? There are literally thousands (if not millions) of gay Christians, you know.

Location hidden

#39 Mar 24, 2009
ABC 20/20 with John Quinones is great tonight.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Littleton, NH

#40 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
Look, people bash people. People kill people. People do some pretty vile things to other people. Whether you're in the homosexual lifestyle or not, this is the core of mankinds nature and shows that we are not innately good people.
Wrong. By far, most of us are good people. You are an obvious exception.

Littleton, NH

#41 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, my posting, and others, has helped some people who are seeking refuge from the homosexual lifestyle.!
Really? Your postings may have helped them realize that they need to be saved from people like you, not from who they are.
nanotech

Aurora, CO

#42 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, is that true? Well, where can we all send a donation in your name to Exodus. Please provide the name, address, contact person and number of souls you have disrupted from their orientation. We'll be glad to get that contribution in the mail. Hurry now...

Littleton, NH

#43 Mar 24, 2009
Shadow Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
If don't like Gay snuggling Cover your eyes, rather then spending 10-20 years for assault and battery, where you could be someone's bitch.
Now stop getting Uncle Ted excited! You know his heart condition.

“Son of Abraham”

Natural Deviant

#44 Mar 24, 2009
uncle ted wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Thats to bad maybe a good ass kickin would have put the dicksmokers back in the closet where they belong.
Poor Uncle Ted. Bet you've never grown enough balls to actually say that to man when he can look you in the eye, eh?

“Son of Abraham”

Natural Deviant

#45 Mar 24, 2009
2 points:

1) ABC didn't advertise this segment, at all. I had to check the info to make sure it was coming up. I found it a bit odd ABC advertised everything else in this program yet neglected to say anything about this part of the program.

2) Notice the homophobe because, for a lack of a better term, a total fag when the gay guy confronted him about it. It's just like every other homophobe. They become chicken shite the 1st moment a gay man actually calls their bluff.

“Son of Abraham”

Natural Deviant

#46 Mar 24, 2009
oops, that's "became" not "because"

“Married as I can be!”

Las Vegas

#47 Mar 24, 2009
MandM wrote:
<quoted text>
There's that word again, and you keep using it! Please, define what you mean by "lifestyle!"

Do you define a "lifestyle" by whom someone has sex with? Is that how you define your OWN lifestyle?

Homosexuals live as varied and diverse "lifestyles" as heterosexuals do. For you to think any differently certainly paints YOU in a very prurient shade! When you think "homosexual lifestyle," you're thinking only about the sex!

Amazing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenilworth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Plumber (Apr '13) Jun 17 Chris333 2
News Library Director Susan Calantone Resigns Jun 7 Doctor DooLittle 1
News Scott Leahy, 37, Avenel (Jul '07) May '16 kiss 82
News Company president stole $1M in dental supplies,... May '16 Pete f 1
News Merck beats 1Q profit views with tight cost con... May '16 Elise Gingerich 1
Curious about a 30 year old murder (Apr '06) May '16 Enidi 293
T R U M P can save the USA Apr '16 Josh Mountaineer 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kenilworth Mortgages