Preserving dark place in TX history

Preserving dark place in TX history

There are 11 comments on the Abc13.com story from Feb 19, 2011, titled Preserving dark place in TX history. In it, Abc13.com reports that:

Saturday marks a dark anniversary for the Japanese American community. Just months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed Executive Order 9066.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Abc13.com.

Letty

Mineral, TX

#1 Apr 15, 2011
I agree

“Rudeness is the weak man's”

Since: Nov 08

imitation of strength.

#2 Apr 15, 2011
It is a tragedy that we need to remember and never repeat.
paul shykora calgary

Calgary, Canada

#3 May 18, 2011
...YES IT ''ALL''...Happened,here....
Rod

United States

#4 May 18, 2011
Crystal City, Texas had one of the interm camps it is a shame that no one tought about preserving one of the residenceses. Part of one of the schools is still used by the independent school district.
Hopefully plans will be made to not destroy it. The Historical group should solicit funds from the state, I am sure that other people would also help, this is a time in history that should never be forgotten.
The swimming pool is on city property and was covered up with dirt.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6 Feb 15, 2012
Is it true FDR knew about the attacks before it happened?
citizen

Laredo, TX

#7 Feb 15, 2012
After seeing the video, I'm very bothered with our city manager- Alfredo Gallegos. His statements are disingenuous about the history of the interment camp. He goes on to say that making money out of this tragedy is what he is banking on for our city. For those who fell victim of the interment camp I apologize for those statement of our city manager, he is a young "business minded politician" he doesn't represent the majority our city. Sorry
citizen

Laredo, TX

#8 Feb 15, 2012
Alfredo Gallegos statement that "the interment camp had to happen, he is glad it happened in Crystal City" is very disingenuous. Who ever reads this and speaks to Mr. Gallegos; please advise him that the story is about "dark place in Texas history" it is not a happy time in history. it's about not forgetting what happened.
the predictor

Houston, TX

#9 Feb 20, 2012
If the USA ever gets into a war with Mexico again, like the last war with them when we stole a big portion of their land to expand all the way to the west coast, camp will be opened to lock up all Hispanics, just mark my words! German Americans were not locked up during WWII because they were "white", only the yellow skin Japanese! The USA will soon get tired of all the illegals invading our country and will try to put a stop to it by rounding up all Hispanics and put them in reservations and not allowed to leave those designated locations. This is what will happen in the future. I can predict the future by lifting up the balls in my hand of my 10 year old bulldog! I predicted 911, the earthquake in Japan, a black USA president, the death of Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the downfall of the USSR, the high gas prices, and many other events way before they occured but nobody believed me and called me crazy! I know more frightful things are in the future but do not want to cause a panic!

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10 Feb 20, 2012
the predictor wrote:
If the USA ever gets into a war with Mexico again, like the last war with them when we stole a big portion of their land to expand all the way to the west coast, camp will be opened to lock up all Hispanics, just mark my words! German Americans were not locked up during WWII because they were "white", only the yellow skin Japanese! The USA will soon get tired of all the illegals invading our country and will try to put a stop to it by rounding up all Hispanics and put them in reservations and not allowed to leave those designated locations. This is what will happen in the future. I can predict the future by lifting up the balls in my hand of my 10 year old bulldog! I predicted 911, the earthquake in Japan, a black USA president, the death of Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the downfall of the USSR, the high gas prices, and many other events way before they occured but nobody believed me and called me crazy! I know more frightful things are in the future but do not want to cause a panic!
can you predict what day you will die?
or even better
what day you will leave topix permanently?
Interment Camp

Uvalde, TX

#11 Feb 20, 2012
Last Sunday Crystal City came out on the Texas Country Reporter at 9:00 AM Channel 5. Really, really nice.
It was about the Internment Camp during WW2.Historical.
No, it is not about forgetting, but preserving historical events.
citizen

Houston, TX

#12 Jul 16, 2014
Where's this at?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kenedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Audie Perez 4 hr Wondering 4
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 16 hr CheeseSniff 1,050
Kenedy is the devils playground 17 hr Smilingbobinkenedy 1
Oh yeah! (Sep '12) Jan 14 grit 4
Roberta cano Jan 13 Gym bunny 1
free movies Jan 13 Lost my cookies 3
Joe Zaiontz Jan 12 gross 11

Kenedy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kenedy Mortgages