Tobacco heir brings anti-smoking...

Aug 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KPC Media Group, Inc.

Patrick Reynolds, grandson of R.J. Reynolds who founded the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co., speaks to East Noble Middle School students during a convocation Wednesday afternoon in Kendallville.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, Mr. Reynolds has plenty of company within the anti-smoker movement. Stanton Glantz commented, ""The main thing the science has done on the issue of ETS, in addition to help people like me pay mortgages" and the infamous John Banzhaf
Why is it that so many militant smokers know just that much of the quote and never give it the context? It was clearly something said as self-effacing humor, and I believe it was part of a speech to a convention of like-minded people, wasn't it? I don't recall, personally, how he finished the sentence. Hang on a sec, I'll google it and see if I can find something useful or if I get swamped by all the vindictive partial quotes from smokers.

Still there? Okay. Well, I didn't find anything direct. The best I could find was an article mentioning a reference in a book by a militant smoker.

It seems the real gist of the sentence is that the science has made it acceptable for the people who were having problems with secondhand smoke to speak their minds and demand that something be done. "Legitimizing" their concern is apparently how he phrased it.

Strange that you folk almost always get all indignant about the comic relief he built into his statement. All that does is make you seem devoid of any sense of humor on top of deceitful.

“POOR BRAINWASHED ANTISMOKER”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that so many militant smokers know just that much of the quote and never give it the context? It was clearly something said as self-effacing humor, and I believe it was part of a speech to a convention of like-minded people, wasn't it? I don't recall, personally, how he finished the sentence. Hang on a sec, I'll google it and see if I can find something useful or if I get swamped by all the vindictive partial quotes from smokers.
Still there? Okay. Well, I didn't find anything direct. The best I could find was an article mentioning a reference in a book by a militant smoker.
It seems the real gist of the sentence is that the science has made it acceptable for the people who were having problems with secondhand smoke to speak their minds and demand that something be done. "Legitimizing" their concern is apparently how he phrased it.
Strange that you folk almost always get all indignant about the comic relief he built into his statement. All that does is make you seem devoid of any sense of humor on top of deceitful.
your word is not good enough

A self-described "lunatic" on the issue, Dr. Glantz then
excoriated the American Cancer Society for its alleged decision to terminate
an employee for intemperate behavior in connection with a local smoking
ordinance. "He [the employee] may be a little impolitic which I of course
view as a plus. But you know activists need [to be] rewarded[.]*** I had
no objection to all the people who were given awards on the first day [of the
conference], but I did notice that there was not a single lunatic among
them ***." He further confessed that "[t]he main thing the science has
done on the issue of ETS, in addition to help people like me pay mortgages,
is it has legitimized the concerns that people have that they don't like
cigarette smoke. And that is a strong emotional force that needs to be
harnessed and used." Glantz concluded by stating that "we are all on a roll
and the bastards are on the run and I urge you to keep chasing them."
http://www.pipes.org/Articles/Bliley.html

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Lunatic fits him perfect IMO
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
A self-described "lunatic" on the issue,
Ah, yes. Someone else devoid of a sense of humor, and/or pretending to be so utterly obtuse for political purposes. Bliley? Let's see, now, that would be the guy whose 'bacce-lackey behavior combined with his sharing a home town with the company's main US office led the more polite to refer to him as "the Senator from Philip Morris"? Yeah, I guess probably the latter explanation fits him.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
Dr. Glantz then excoriated the American Cancer Society for its alleged decision to terminate an employee for intemperate behavior in connection with a local smoking
ordinance.
Nice, informative bit here, do you think? Nothing but innuendo and implication. "intemperate behavior"? Hello, what is that when it is up and dressed? "Excoriated"? again, this whole chunk sounds like a political hack spinning something said with humor and trying to make it sound somehow damning. Consider the source.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
"He [the employee] may be a little impolitic which I of course view as a plus. But you know activists need [to be] rewarded[.]
Note the indication that there is content removed in order to present the quote so as to "make the point" that--well, that WHAT, exactly? That Glantz doesn't like the idea of restraint for the sake of being "politic" where a major threat to public health is concerned? Pretty dastardly guy, huh?

Or is the content replaced by "to be" what would have destroyed the illusion Bliley wished to create?

Again, there seems to be an effort to demonize someone for having a sense of humor. Again, the "reporting" of the situation seems to be the source of the problem, and makes no more real sense than a locker room pep talk full of meaningless disparagement of the opposition.
Its me Linda B wrote:
<quoted text>your word is not good enough
A self-described "lunatic" on the issue, Dr. Glantz then
excoriated the American Cancer Society for its alleged decision to terminate
an employee for intemperate behavior in connection with a local smoking
ordinance. "He [the employee] may be a little impolitic which I of course
view as a plus. But you know activists need [to be] rewarded[.]*** I had
no objection to all the people who were given awards on the first day [of the
conference], but I did notice that there was not a single lunatic among
them ***." He further confessed that "[t]he main thing the science has
done on the issue of ETS, in addition to help people like me pay mortgages,
is it has legitimized the concerns that people have that they don't like
cigarette smoke. And that is a strong emotional force that needs to be
harnessed and used." Glantz concluded by stating that "we are all on a roll
and the bastards are on the run and I urge you to keep chasing them."
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Perhaps it is from Bliley that you learned the tactic of squawking that Glantz had no medical education.

Here's a quote from the linked page:

"Glantz has a long record of public statements demonstrating his commitment to that political agenda, notwithstanding the lack of scientific
support for his claims concerning ETS. While his training is in mechanical engineering rather than medicine or some other relevant discipline, he has
pontificated on every conceivable smoking-related topic, such as advertising and economic issues, about which he plainly can make no claim to professional competence."

Let's see, now, is he saying that medical training WOULD qualify a person to address advertising and/or economic issues? Inexcusable rhetoric, if the purpose was to inform rather than to inflame.

As to the disparagement of Glantz's background, here is a chunk from his CV:

"University of Cincinnati, OH, BS, 1969, Aerospace Engineering

"Stanford University, CA, MS, 1970, Applied Mechanics

"Stanford University, CA, PhD, 1973, Applied Mechanics and Engineering Economic Systems

"Stanford University, CA, Postdoc, 1975, Cardiology

"University of California San Francisco, CA, Postdoc, 1977, Cardiovascular Research"

Please not that, nearly two decades before Bliley made these allegations in a report to the legislators of our country, Glantz spent years doing POSTDOCTORAL level study on cardiology--the medical discipline involving the human heart--and doing research in that discipline.

In the section on "Honors and Awards", these entries appear:

"(1975-77)
Bay Area Heart Research Committee Senior Research Fellowship"

"(1986)
Janssen Lecture of Society for Cardiac Anesthesia"

"(1992)
Fellow, American College of Cardiology"

PLUS--and please note that this is the period in the middle of which Bliley delivered this "report" to Congress--there is this:

"(1992-1997)
Associate Editor, Journal of the American College of Cardiology"

Bliley stands revealed as not only deceptive but an outright LIAR in his zeal to paint the tobacco industry's detractors as villains. He LIED to CONGRESS.

THAT is your idea of a good and credible source?

“"Sanity is not statistical." ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
Perhaps it is from Bliley that you learned the tactic of squawking that Glantz had no medical education.
Here's a quote from the linked page:
"Glantz has a long record of public statements demonstrating his commitment to that political agenda, notwithstanding the lack of scientific
support for his claims concerning ETS. While his training is in mechanical engineering rather than medicine or some other relevant discipline, he has
pontificated on every conceivable smoking-related topic, such as advertising and economic issues, about which he plainly can make no claim to professional competence."
Let's see, now, is he saying that medical training WOULD qualify a person to address advertising and/or economic issues? Inexcusable rhetoric, if the purpose was to inform rather than to inflame.
As to the disparagement of Glantz's background, here is a chunk from his CV:
"University of Cincinnati, OH, BS, 1969, Aerospace Engineering
"Stanford University, CA, MS, 1970, Applied Mechanics
"Stanford University, CA, PhD, 1973, Applied Mechanics and Engineering Economic Systems
"Stanford University, CA, Postdoc, 1975, Cardiology
"University of California San Francisco, CA, Postdoc, 1977, Cardiovascular Research"
Please not that, nearly two decades before Bliley made these allegations in a report to the legislators of our country, Glantz spent years doing POSTDOCTORAL level study on cardiology--the medical discipline involving the human heart--and doing research in that discipline.
In the section on "Honors and Awards", these entries appear:
"(1975-77)
Bay Area Heart Research Committee Senior Research Fellowship"
"(1986)
Janssen Lecture of Society for Cardiac Anesthesia"
"(1992)
Fellow, American College of Cardiology"
PLUS--and please note that this is the period in the middle of which Bliley delivered this "report" to Congress--there is this:
"(1992-1997)
Associate Editor, Journal of the American College of Cardiology"
Bliley stands revealed as not only deceptive but an outright LIAR in his zeal to paint the tobacco industry's detractors as villains. He LIED to CONGRESS.
THAT is your idea of a good and credible source?
So, do you have a thing for Glantz? You are pretty bent on extolling the virtues of a mechanical engineer posing as a medical doctor.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
<quoted text>
So, do you have a thing for Glantz? You are pretty bent on extolling the virtues of a mechanical engineer posing as a medical doctor.
Apart from respecting the man who, as a student journalist, uncovered a covert weapons research program at his university, I am impressed by the sheer amount of work evidenced by all the studies bearing his name as an author.

As to his early (as in only up through his doctorate--got one?) education and experience (as a rocket scientist--you one?), that would be impressive on its own, so I can see why you would be obsessed with him as that.

HOWEVER, a decade and a half of POSTdoctoral study in cardiology and a decade or two as a professor at a fairly prestigious medical college certainly give the lie to your parroted assertions that he lacked credibility when addressing medical/health matters.

He scares you that badly does he? Good.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Apart from respecting the man who, as a student journalist, uncovered a covert weapons research program at his university, I am impressed by the sheer amount of work evidenced by all the studies bearing his name as an author.
As to his early (as in only up through his doctorate--got one?) education and experience (as a rocket scientist--you one?), that would be impressive on its own, so I can see why you would be obsessed with him as that.
HOWEVER, a decade and a half of POSTdoctoral study in cardiology and a decade or two as a professor at a fairly prestigious medical college certainly give the lie to your parroted assertions that he lacked credibility when addressing medical/health matters.
any evidence to pay his mortgage according to the self described lunatic himself

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

wonder if I could get one of those freebie doctors titles without attending med school and earning the title like real doctors?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Note the indication that there is content removed in order to present the quote so as to "make the point" that--well, that WHAT, exactly? That Glantz doesn't like the idea of restraint for the sake of being "politic" where a major threat to public health is concerned? Pretty dastardly guy, huh?
Or is the content replaced by "to be" what would have destroyed the illusion Bliley wished to create?
Again, there seems to be an effort to demonize someone for having a sense of humor. Again, the "reporting" of the situation seems to be the source of the problem, and makes no more real sense than a locker room pep talk full of meaningless disparagement of the opposition.
<quoted text>
Bilrey was just one member of congress and only one of an investigation "COMMITTEE", why was there an investigation?

Mr. Chairman, I am testifying today in order to report to the
Subcommittee the results of my extensive investigation of the EPA's handling
of the controversy surrounding environmental tobacco smoke or "ETS". As you
know, in the past the Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I do think he as a pharm a foundation flunky is dangerous to a free society so he can pay his mortgage

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, yes. Someone else devoid of a sense of humor, and/or pretending to be so utterly obtuse for political purposes. Bliley? Let's see, now, that would be the guy whose 'bacce-lackey behavior combined with his sharing a home town with the company's main US office led the more polite to refer to him as "the Senator from Philip Morris"? Yeah, I guess probably the latter explanation fits him.
I suppose you think anyone who knows tobacco exist, has seen tobacco, touched tobacco or lives where tobacco growns is a tobacco lackey..sicko,,

“Tobacco is a serious no-no in most of the world, but here in Brown County it has paid for a lot of college educations,” said Tim McKeown, an insurance agent and chairman of the Brown County Chamber of Commerce.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_...

maybe th eUS economy would be in better shape if its not so obsessed with tearing down a truly successful American success that employs Americans as well as provides much needed taxes
Oh Yeah

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
wonder if I could get one of those freebie doctors titles without attending med school and earning the title like real doctors?
It's me Linda B, Anything is possible in this country. You can be an illegal & get a green card & get all the medical help you want for free, plus write it off on your taxes, plus send all your money back across the border. While Americans pick up the bill for all that & suffer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2011

Judged:

Oh Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
It's me Linda B, Anything is possible in this country. You can be an illegal & get a green card & get all the medical help you want for free, plus write it off on your taxes, plus send all your money back across the border. While Americans pick up the bill for all that & suffer.
Actually I don't think they have to have a green card, unless ts changed, US medical facilities are on the border for their healthcare...shameful
Hugh Jass

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2011

Judged:

Too much trash talk waiting for me to wade through.

Fact 1 is, I wasn't the one who brought up Glantz, so someone else must "have a thing for him".

Fact 2 is that you folks all seem to have a thing going for people who lie to Congress, given your support for the tobacco companies AND your continual quoting fo Bliley.
Mojo

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Judged:

More propaganda from the anti's. Nothing to see here, move along.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 58 of58
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Kendallville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Kendallville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance