Tobacco heir brings anti-smoking...

Aug 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KPC Media Group, Inc.

Patrick Reynolds, grandson of R.J. Reynolds who founded the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co., speaks to East Noble Middle School students during a convocation Wednesday afternoon in Kendallville.

Comments
21 - 40 of 58 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2011
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
<quoted text>
I see that Mr. Reynolds is not adverse to keeping the fortune his family made selling cigarettes. Not only that, but he has created a new niche for himself reliant upon smoking: he charges 10,000 per lecture for the anti-smoker cause and he has created a "non-profit" business to protect himself from taxes.
Again, what exactly is the rule that says he should have an aversion to keeping the money?[By the way, the proper word is "averse" unless you are for some reason trying to say he does no harm to keeping the fortune etc..]

It would, I submit, be noteworthy if he did NOT keep the money (though he seems to have used it to create the organization mentioned), but is NOT noteworthy that he elected to keep and utilize it.

You have a pretty twisted set of standards there, Bubbastein.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
Patrick's father disinherited Patrick and his brother and four half-brothers. He received $500,000 from his father's fourth wife in agreement not to contest the will.[10] He inherited $2.5 million from his grandfather in 1969, when he was 21.
So, does it say anything about stock holdings?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
I see from the linked page that they say he sold his tobacco stock in '79. It doesn't say how much he had or what he got for it.

It turns out I saw him in a movie on TV just a couple of days ago. Didn't realize it till I looked into that write-up.

“"Sanity is not statistical." ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what exactly is the rule that says he should have an aversion to keeping the money?[By the way, the proper word is "averse" unless you are for some reason trying to say he does no harm to keeping the fortune etc..]
It would, I submit, be noteworthy if he did NOT keep the money (though he seems to have used it to create the organization mentioned), but is NOT noteworthy that he elected to keep and utilize it.
You have a pretty twisted set of standards there, Bubbastein.
The word actually is "adverse" not "averse"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Arthur Dent wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not mean to be stereotypical or anything, but you have four posts in this topic, and every one of them all you talk about is money.
In the end, all that counts for either BT or anti-smokers is exactly that: MONEY.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
How much were they worth, and seriously, if you were the child of a billionaire and you were specifically cut out of the will, how would you feel and what direction would you take?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
<quoted text>
The word actually is "adverse" not "averse"
One of them is, but it doesn't make sense in context. Of course, that makes sense in the context of its being posted by you.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Fighting nicotine addiction for five years might leave a person somewhat angry in and of itself.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Hugh Jass wrote:
Fighting nicotine addiction for five years might leave a person somewhat angry in and of itself.
HMMMM Maybe, but I think the reality of being virtually ignored and cut out of hundreds of millions of dollars by one's father would REALLY make anyone angry. It would make one so angry that he would make retribution his life's work. Looks like that's what he did. Frankly, I understand that, but the reason for his campaign against his father is pretty obvious.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
One of them is, but it doesn't make sense in context. Of course, that makes sense in the context of its being posted by you.
Your grammar correction is the correct one. I was the one who made the error in the use of the two words.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

goldstein wrote:
<quoted text>
HMMMM Maybe, but I think the reality of being virtually ignored and cut out of hundreds of millions of dollars by one's father would REALLY make anyone angry. It would make one so angry that he would make retribution his life's work. Looks like that's what he did. Frankly, I understand that, but the reason for his campaign against his father is pretty obvious.
It is obviously easier for you to make the assumption that it is a campaign against his father (dead of smoking-related disease) than to accept the possibility that he is conscious enough of the horror perpetrated by his family--even if it is only brought home through his personal battle with tobacco use--that he is doing what he can to reduce the impact.

Motivations at the level of career choice are seldom as simplistic as you would have us believe.

The person in question was, apparently, not mentioned in his father's will, but his mother was second out of how many wives that father had? Not mentioned anywhere is what sort of divorce settlement his mother received and how much of that went to him. A later wife gave him half a million dollars to let the will stand.

Add to this some other motivators, including his very personal awareness of what tobacco smoking does to freedom of choice.

Then, he was an actor and is now a public speaker. He took a shot at being a singer. In each of these professions a strong and healthy set of lungs is a definite plus. Despite the number of successful actors and singers who smoked like chimneys, smoking is NOT good for the pipes. Here, again, is another plausible source for his antipathy toward smoking and his awareness of smoking's associated problems.

Who knows what else in his life might have pushed him toward his current career?

It is entirely too strong to say that it looks like he devoted his life to retribution. There IS an appearance that such a motivation is plausible, but no more than that. It is equally plausible (and slightly less unacceptably simplistic, given the number of items outside of his family interrelations) that he devoted his life to reparation, as he has suggested.

Or maybe someone just blew smoke in his face at the wrong time and he got ticked and off he went. Who knows?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

One can only wonder if Patrick had inherited his "rightful" share whether he would have taken this road. It is doubtful. In the end, it is sadly my contention that in life it is usually simply about the money. Most multi-millionaires and their heirs have little concern about how they came to be so filthy rich. Although Mr. Reynolds managed to squeak out a couple of million from his family, I can understand his indignation at having gotten so little in comparison to his father's wealth. That would make me and most others very angry. Some would seek retribution to deal with it.

“POOR BRAINWASHED ANTISMOKER”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
One can only wonder if Patrick had inherited his "rightful" share whether he would have taken this road. It is doubtful. In the end, it is sadly my contention that in life it is usually simply about the money. Most multi-millionaires and their heirs have little concern about how they came to be so filthy rich. Although Mr. Reynolds managed to squeak out a couple of million from his family, I can understand his indignation at having gotten so little in comparison to his father's wealth. That would make me and most others very angry. Some would seek retribution to deal with it.
a really good guess would be that had really been a heir to the family business and fortune, he would be exactly part of what he is mouthing off against and probably paid to do so
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

goldstein wrote:
One can only wonder if Patrick had inherited his "rightful" share whether he would have taken this road.
A pathetic existence if that were all one could do. Such conjecture is completely unnecessary and provides nothing more than a fantasy world.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

"Understanding" and "presuming" are not the same thing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
A pathetic existence if that were all one could do. Such conjecture is completely unnecessary and provides nothing more than a fantasy world.
LOL YOU live in a fantasy world. Understanding the motivations of mankind is pretty simple, especially where money and revenge are at stake.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Whatever lights your smoke, I guess.

Doesn't really matter to me what you believe is the reason he is doing what's right.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Hugh Jass wrote:
Doesn't really matter to me what you believe is the reason he is doing what's right.
Well, Mr. Reynolds has plenty of company within the anti-smoker movement. Stanton Glantz commented, ""The main thing the science has done on the issue of ETS, in addition to help people like me pay mortgages" and the infamous John Banzhaf

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
so why do you keep posting about it then? If it means nothing to you simply move on, other folks have a right to their own thoughts and are not in dire need of yours

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2011

Judged:

Huge is amazingly speedy hopping threads trying to tell others what they think

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kendallville Discussions

Search the Kendallville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
A county informant named John Ireland is in K-v... Jul 10 Shut up 4
Review: Raber's Discount Grocery (Jan '11) Jul 4 betty 7
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Jun 29 Lord Hater 92
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Jun 27 Go Blue Forever 1,302
Jerry Ramey Jun 24 Still looking 1
Sally Lehman (Jan '12) Jun '14 bre46755 9
Apartment/house rentals in Kendallville (Help) Jun '14 kakaka 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kendallville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••