Tobacco heir brings anti-smoking...

Aug 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KPC Media Group, Inc.

Patrick Reynolds, grandson of R.J. Reynolds who founded the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co., speaks to East Noble Middle School students during a convocation Wednesday afternoon in Kendallville.

Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“"Sanity is not statistical." ”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

Did Mr. Reynolds give away the money that he inherited from RJR?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
Even in the short form provided by Topix it says clearly that he founded an organization aimed at undoing the harm associated with generating that money. Such "founding" is not cheap.

Ensuring that the money is used in such a targeted manner is, I submit, more impressive and socially conscious than throwing it away in protest would be.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

For anyone who actually cares about the story, here is a fuller version that you needn't sign up for:

He’s an heir to the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. fortune, but champions a smoke-free society.

He could sit back and count his millions, but instead founded the Foundation for a Smokefree America and travels the world reminding people of the dangers of tobacco and smoking.

Wednesday, Patrick Reynolds, grandson of R.J. Reynolds who founded the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co., producer of Camel cigarettes and Winston cigarettes spoke to East Noble Middle School students about the pitfalls of using tobacco products and how tobacco companies use Hollywood celebrities, sports stars and advertising to market their products to young people.

Reynolds’ grandfather started the company in 1875, and he died of pancreatic cancer in 1917.

Patrick Reynolds watched his father, R.J. Reynolds Jr., and his oldest brother, R.J. Reynolds III, and other members of his family die from cigarette-induced emphysema and lung cancer.

“My father died when I was 9, and I carried this guilt and anger in me for quite a while until I received counseling and came to realize smoking is a health hazard,” he told the students. Reynolds made the decision to speak out against the industry his family helped build.

“I want my family on the right side for a change,” he said.

The RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. is the second largest producer of tobacco products in the United States. Its cigarette brands include Camel, Kool, Winston, Salem, Doral, Eclipse, Lucky Strike and Pall Mall. Its tobacco product line also includes smoking tobacco and chewing tobacco. Five of the 10 top-selling cigarette brands in the nation are RJ Reynolds’ products. It’s estimated that one in three cigarettes smoked in the U.S. is a Reynolds brand.

Patrick Reynolds first spoke out publicly in 1986 at a congressional hearing in favor of a ban on all tobacco advertising.

Using slides and a video presentation, he showed the students in the middle school gym how tobacco companies use cartoon characters such “Joe Camel” and the Marlboro Man to appeal to young people ages 11-14 to use their cigarette products.

“Fifty percent of the U.S. population in the 1960s smoked, and where did tobacco companies want to display their cigarettes in the grocery stores? Next to the candy,” he said.“They’ve got to get people hooked when they’re young.”

Mounting evidence that smoking and chewing tobacco could lead to serious health problems only made Reynolds more committed to his goal of a smokefree society, and he took his appeal to youth in schools in a program called “The Truth About Tobacco.”

“You may think one or two cigarettes is OK, but if you start smoking, you’ll be hooked in two weeks,” he told the students.“Smoking is addictive.”

According to the American Lung Association, 23.5 percent of high school students in Indiana smoke, and the number of kids who begin smoking daily each year is 9,900. Approximately 21.2 percent adult Hoosiers smoke, ranking Indiana as the fifth-highest state in the nation for rate of smokers.

An estimated 9,700 Hoosiers die each year from smoking, and health care costs directly caused by smoking total $2.08 billion.

“It’s not cool to smoke or chew tobacco,” Reynolds said. He advised the students to just say “no” if they’re offered a cigarette, even if it’s by a friend.

“Today only 20 percent of Americans smoke,” said Reynolds.“Twenty-nine states have banned smoking in bars and taverns. I can see a time when it will be smoke-free.”

Tobacco-Free Northeast Indiana helped sponsor Reynolds’ visit.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

Here's a useful snippet:

“I want my family on the right side for a change,” he said.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

If the money is so distasteful to him, he should give it all away. Did he?

“POOR BRAINWASHED ANTISMOKER”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
If you read Golden leaf one can assume he is just bitter at his father and the company he got left out of. His father caught his mom (on a boat I think) with another man and he did not see his father again until his pa was dying. The only thing he got was from his grandma (I think)..of course thats from memory. I think he was broke pissed and found a gravy train at the expense of what he is pissed at. The book is online
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
<quoted text> If you read Golden leaf one can assume he is just bitter at his father and the company he got left out of. His father caught his mom (on a boat I think) with another man and he did not see his father again until his pa was dying. The only thing he got was from his grandma (I think)..of course thats from memory. I think he was broke pissed and found a gravy train at the expense of what he is pissed at. The book is online
NO NEED TO READ THAT LINDA

JUST READ THIS
Its me Linda B wrote:
Dryer sheets and vents are attacking us
hahahahaha

you are a freakin loon!
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
If the money is so distasteful to him, he should give it all away. Did he?
Where exactly did he say the money was distasteful to him, oh arbiter of ethos?

For someone who rails against the idea of being told to smoke outside or away from other people, you sure do have some strong opinions about what someone ELSE should be required to do.
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
<quoted text> If you read Golden leaf one can assume he is just bitter at his father and the company he got left out of. His father caught his mom (on a boat I think) with another man and he did not see his father again until his pa was dying. The only thing he got was from his grandma (I think)..of course thats from memory. I think he was broke pissed and found a gravy train at the expense of what he is pissed at. The book is online
Cute little soap opera you got going on there, addict.

Read just the beginning of the snippet of the article provided by Topix:

"He’s an heir to the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. fortune, but champions a smoke-free society. He could sit back and count his millions, but instead founded the Foundation for a Smokefree America ..."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Where exactly did he say the money was distasteful to him, oh arbiter of ethos?
For someone who rails against the idea of being told to smoke outside or away from other people, you sure do have some strong opinions about what someone ELSE should be required to do.
I see that Mr. Reynolds is not adverse to keeping the fortune his family made selling cigarettes. Not only that, but he has created a new niche for himself reliant upon smoking: he charges 10,000 per lecture for the anti-smoker cause and he has created a "non-profit" business to protect himself from taxes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Patrick's father disinherited Patrick and his brother and four half-brothers. He received $500,000 from his father's fourth wife in agreement not to contest the will.[10] He inherited $2.5 million from his grandfather in 1969, when he was 21.[8] He studied drama at the University of California.[3] He recorded three unsuccessful pop singles in 1982.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Reynolds...

So, it looks as if Mr. Reynolds was desperate for a new fortune. Perhaps the direction he took to become an anti-smoker presented him with that opportunity.
non-smoker

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
Patrick's father disinherited Patrick and his brother and four half-brothers. He received $500,000 from his father's fourth wife in agreement not to contest the will.[10] He inherited $2.5 million from his grandfather in 1969, when he was 21.[8] He studied drama at the University of California.[3] He recorded three unsuccessful pop singles in 1982.[2]
So, it looks as if Mr. Reynolds was desperate for a new fortune. Perhaps the direction he took to become an anti-smoker presented him with that opportunity.
I suppose that's why he can't shut down R.J.Reynolds co.?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Hugh Jass wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute little soap opera you got going on there, addict.
Read just the beginning of the snippet of the article provided by Topix:
"He’s an heir to the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. fortune, but champions a smoke-free society. He could sit back and count his millions, but instead founded the Foundation for a Smokefree America ..."
oh poo on you, he is a vengeful person IMO

Above: In the wake of his parents’ divorce when he was three, Patrick longed for his father. But Dick had abandoned his sons, much as he done to his older sons by first wife, Blitz. Dick moved on to his new life with Muriel, sailing his new yacht, the 110' sailing yacht Aires, in the Pacific islands.

http://www.tobaccofree.org/book/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

non-smoker wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose that's why he can't shut down R.J.Reynolds co.?
I believe I read something about him wanting control (on the board) and was shut out. He is just a pissed off little boy out to make a buck while getting even IMO
non-smoker

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Don't Vote For Anyone Who Smokes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

I bet some RWJF money jingled his pockets
non-smoker

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
<quoted text> I believe I read something about him wanting control (on the board) and was shut out. He is just a pissed off little boy out to make a buck while getting even IMO
What, getting even, not ahead?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

non-smoker wrote:
<quoted text>
What, getting even, not ahead?
think he will do the brainwashing th echildren thing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

goldstein wrote:
Oh, I see. Stipulating rather than squander time checking your alleged facts, I see you think having only $3 Million makes him desperate?
Hugh Jass

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Its me Linda B wrote:
<quoted text> oh poo on you, he is a vengeful person IMO
Well, and certainly a non-vengeful person like you would provide a valuable opinion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kendallville Discussions

Search the Kendallville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
A county informant named John Ireland is in K-v... Jul 10 Shut up 4
Review: Raber's Discount Grocery (Jan '11) Jul 4 betty 7
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Jun 29 Lord Hater 92
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Jun 27 Go Blue Forever 1,302
Jerry Ramey Jun 24 Still looking 1
Sally Lehman (Jan '12) Jun 24 bre46755 9
Apartment/house rentals in Kendallville (Help) Jun '14 kakaka 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kendallville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••