Update: Two drivers airlifted with ma...

Update: Two drivers airlifted with major injuries

There are 17 comments on the Lake County Record-Bee story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Update: Two drivers airlifted with major injuries. In it, Lake County Record-Bee reports that:

The drivers of both vehicles involved in a head-on collision on Highway 29 Monday afternoon were airlifted to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital with major injuries, according to California Highway Patrol officer Dallas Richey.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lake County Record-Bee.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 30, 2010
I wonder why he missed the lane and turned into the nearest (north) lane. Also, did the other car slow at all when he started to emerge from the side road? Many do not, and even speed up angry at the encroachment of another car playing a dangerous game of chicken. Not saying she did, but people seem to be doing that more and more as the population degenerates from urban influx.
tch

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Dec 1, 2010
drivers these days are TOTAL idiots! i've never seen more selfish and careless driving ever. big rush at dusk in the rain ,yappin on your cell phone , tailgating with your kids in the car. school zones are even dangerous. the police could sure make some revenue from these 'working' parents that drive like brainless chimpanzees in their big rush to get their kids to school while risking the lives of others. unbelievable the lack of courtesy on the roads today. no respect and no consideration for anyone else. i pray to see these morons leave the roadway and crash with severe injuries. wake up people! hope you crash and get sued!
lucerne sfb

United States

#3 Dec 1, 2010
Pay attention to driving and not the distractions. Good driving is not rocket science.
Marzocco

San Francisco, CA

#4 Dec 1, 2010
That intersection is one of the most dangerous ones in our county if you don't drive in the area too often. The demarcation between the north and south lanes is not clear and it easy to confuse the two. The northbound lane should have HUGE arrows pointing north right across Main Street so the merging traffic is aware which lane to enter.
And talking on the phone, yelling at your kids or dogs, changing the station on your radio or trying to light your cigarette doesn't help.
pot head

United States

#5 Dec 1, 2010
Marzocco wrote:
That intersection is one of the most dangerous ones in our county if you don't drive in the area too often. The demarcation between the north and south lanes is not clear and it easy to confuse the two. The northbound lane should have HUGE arrows pointing north right across Main Street so the merging traffic is aware which lane to enter.
And talking on the phone, yelling at your kids or dogs, changing the station on your radio or trying to light your cigarette doesn't help.
And for Chico following a school bus.
Yes

United States

#6 Dec 1, 2010
Like I said yesterday on the other thread. It's probably time to eliminate ingress from Main on to 29 here. Just have an exit from 29 into town on Main. It is a dangerous intersection with vehicles merging at that point since vehicles coming north down Sand Hill on 29 have gathered speed and are approaching the light at Live Oak Dr. Make the 29 southbound access from the light controlled intersection at Live Oak Dr. This is what the State planned to do if and when they ever built the 4 lane expressway from Lower Lake to Lakeport.(Not likely anytime soon). It would probably mean improving/widening Live Oak Dr from Main St to 29, which would not be popular with those property owners. Just allow northbound traffic to get off 29 at Main, not get on. There have been numerous accidents there over the years and many, many close calls. I can't remember one accident at the 29/Live Oak Dr intersection since the light went in.
JCW

Clearlake, CA

#7 Dec 1, 2010
This is a wide corner to hit the Southbound lane correctly. I think Cal-Trans should repaint the lanes regularly, with arrows, etc. Also, people going North toward Lakeport, should slow down. There is a light at the corner. You also have to wait your turn and not try and out run the other person. The right-of-way would appear to be the person on the 29. For both parties to have to be airlifted, it must have been a big hit with too much speed involved and the person entering the hiway not paying any attention to the painted lines in the road. I hope they are both okay and let's just slow down people.

Since: Jun 09

San Francisco, CA

#8 Dec 1, 2010
I know the problem is three and or four things in play at on time in a small space. Pulling out south bound and making the left turn and merge into traffic that was either just all been at stop and or taking off SB from Live Oak and someone zips past all the people in line on the right lane and appears from the right very fast with a string of traffic behind them. Then the traffic coming down the hill north bound seems to be at a quicker pace because they appear from a blind turn in the road, and maybe someone has a right turn signal. I have been there when the road was damp, and I have to go and end up needing to go faster making the left turn SB29 into a narrow lane that is banked the wrong way for my speed and entry, Either going to slow or to fast can screw up a good merge into traffic. Some of you may have seen this happen more than one time. We could have been anyone of the cars driving North or South, exiting 29 or trying to make that left. It is one of those bad intersection we have to deal with. Drive slow and we can live to read different stories about a Top Cop wearing City Managers hat also. Hmm, being your own boss, kind of cool !!!

Question, why do so many people end up in the Reach copter being transported to hospitals outside of Lake County? It does strike me as a little odd if we have two hospitals here in the county?!?!?!
Tel

San Francisco, CA

#9 Dec 1, 2010
They don't have trauma centers like the ones in Santa Rosa.
Wishing

Kelseyville, CA

#10 Dec 2, 2010
Simply caused by impatient driver. Unless the driver who turned into the oncoming lane was BLIND - the crash occurred because the driver was trying to HURRY onto Hwy. 29 from Main St. before the vehicle already on Hwy. 29 got there.

It is not the fault of the intersection. It is not the fault of the painted lines on the highway. It is the fault of a driver who was in a hurry.
cjs

Kelseyville, CA

#12 Dec 2, 2010
Question, why do so many people end up in the Reach copter being transported to hospitals outside of Lake County?

It's hard enough getting a good contractor in Lake County, let alone a doctor.
Insurance

Waterloo, IA

#13 Dec 2, 2010
We should all have Reach Insurance. It's inexpensive (was $40.00) a year. These hospitals are just not equipped to handle trama patients. Not sure what Deadbud has, but Sutter Lakeside now only has 25 beds.
Koalabear2525

Union City, CA

#14 Dec 2, 2010
at lease the C H P office is close by .
Sherrie

Peoria, AZ

#15 Dec 2, 2010
My sister was the driver of the Mazda that was hit head on.....No she was not speeding, and yes she did try to get out of his way that is why the impact was left frt to left frt. For those of you wondering she is in critical condition but is going to be ok over time. From what I hear the driver of the other veh has multiple broken bones is also in critical condition but is going to be ok too.
Curtis E Goodwill

San Francisco, CA

#16 Dec 2, 2010
Thankful for that.
Unfortunate

Waterloo, IA

#17 Dec 3, 2010
Sherrie, glad to hear your sister will recover. The other driver also. Lake Co. has way too many serious accidents. Slow down, pay attention.
Jeffro

Sacramento, CA

#18 Dec 8, 2010
Wishing wrote:
Simply caused by impatient driver. Unless the driver who turned into the oncoming lane was BLIND - the crash occurred because the driver was trying to HURRY onto Hwy. 29 from Main St. before the vehicle already on Hwy. 29 got there.
It is not the fault of the intersection. It is not the fault of the painted lines on the highway. It is the fault of a driver who was in a hurry.
How exactly do you know this? Were you there?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kelseyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Someone empezzeling $ fr Little Leauge Aug 26 Godfrey 1
Kelseyville Liitle League Vendor Jevin Stiffs a... Aug '17 IntheNewsAgain 1
Price of water in Lucerne Jul '17 vjsacramento 1
Red, White, and Blue Extravaganza Jun '17 howefortunate 1
News County looks to cut energy cost Jun '17 Solarman 1
News Gang ties alleged in torture case (Jan '10) Jun '17 jjbateman5678 1,218
News Lake County sheriff cuts off agencies' access t... (Apr '13) May '17 Don White 20

Kelseyville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kelseyville Mortgages