Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and ste...

Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and stepfather

There are 176 comments on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and stepfather. In it, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that:

Jason and Nora "Beth" Bruce and their children spent their last night together at one of their favorite places, Milestone Church in Keller.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
You Wish

Fort Worth, TX

#164 Jun 25, 2008
Apparently your reading skills aren't up to par...it's not even going to trial...there was not enough evidence. IF they couldn't get him on intoxication manslaughter they can't get him on reguar manslaughter....youshould brush up on your reading and law skils before you post uneducated and uninformed posts.

BTW...where's Renegade and his smart a** comments...he knows everything...He doesn't have much to say now that there's insufficient evidence. Hmmmmmm.....funny how that all works out.
always reading

United States

#165 Jun 25, 2008
How funny you're writing about brushing up on reading & law skills...maybe you should work on your spelling and writing skills. I'm assuming you meant regular when you wrote "reguar" and skills when you wrote "skils". Maybe someone else should brush up on some things before writing an uneducated post! Colton may not have prison time to serve for now but rest assured we all reap what we sow. I hope he's made some changes in his life since the accident.
Longhorn Dad

Fort Worth, TX

#166 Jun 25, 2008
always reading wrote:
How funny you're writing about brushing up on reading & law skills...maybe you should work on your spelling and writing skills. I'm assuming you meant regular when you wrote "reguar" and skills when you wrote "skils". Maybe someone else should brush up on some things before writing an uneducated post! Colton may not have prison time to serve for now but rest assured we all reap what we sow. I hope he's made some changes in his life since the accident.
Since he was tailgating me driving south on highway 156 just last week,in his new white truck, I'd say "nothing's changed". As to my skills, I'd say, I'm right on top of things. For a grand jury to no-bill (this doesn't mean not guilty so let's make sure that is understood "you wish") it just means insufficient evidence for the charges of "intoxication" manslaughter. Believe it or not there is still such a thing as "involuntary manslaughter" which occurs when there is no intent to kill, however death does occur due to "recklessness" or criminal negligence. Recklessness is defined as wanton disregard for the dangers of a particular situation, for instance, "speeding" or "running a red light". There is also "misdemeanor manslaughter" which covers a person who causes the death of another while committing a misdemeanor. This may automatically lead to a conviction if the misdemeanor involved a law meant to protect human life. Then, of course, we all know that many violations of safety laws (is running a red light a violation of a safety law) are infractions, meaning that a person can be convicted regardless of mens rea.
Renegade1980

Aubrey, TX

#167 Jun 25, 2008
You Wish wrote:
Apparently your reading skills aren't up to par...it's not even going to trial...there was not enough evidence. IF they couldn't get him on intoxication manslaughter they can't get him on reguar manslaughter....youshould brush up on your reading and law skils before you post uneducated and uninformed posts.
BTW...where's Renegade and his smart a** comments...he knows everything...He doesn't have much to say now that there's insufficient evidence. Hmmmmmm.....funny how that all works out.
Here I am...I saw that article. He lucked out on this negligent uneccesary killing spree. Wouldnt doubt if he had a friend or relative on the grand jury. All I can say is it's a matter of time before that punk goes out drinkin and running lights and smokin up the dope, probably on crack or cheese by now and kills someone else again.
Maja

AOL

#168 Jun 25, 2008
Renegade1980 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here I am...I saw that article. He lucked out on this negligent uneccesary killing spree. Wouldnt doubt if he had a friend or relative on the grand jury. All I can say is it's a matter of time before that punk goes out drinkin and running lights and smokin up the dope, probably on crack or cheese by now and kills someone else again.
Killing spree? Do you REALLY think he INTENTIONALLY went out and DELIBERATELY killed these people? Really!
That 'punk' you refer to has changed his life because of this event! He will NEVER be the same - as I know the Bruce family will never be the same as well. Can we all just see this as something terribly awful that happened and hope and PRAY that this has changed lives for the better? It's not like this type of accident hasn't happened before to other families and it's not likely that because of this, it will not happen again to others. Just watch the news! Please don't take my comments as a way of an excuse for driving fatalities, but it DOES happen! And who is to say that it couldn't happen to anyone of us!
While I'm happy for Colton, the sting will never go away. I know, my brother-in-law was killed in an automobile ACCIDENT. But I NEVER blamed the driver of the other vehicle - for I knew accidents happen. While my family has suffered, we have made peace with it. And that's the biggest obsticle to overcome. And because of it, we are all stronger. We have no chips on our shoulders. No anger to stuff inside. No bitterness to harbor.
I will continue to pray for the Bruce children and their families. And for Colton. I would hope that those of you who can let go of your anger, resentment AND blame to do the same.
Forgiveness is powerful!
Longhorn Dad

Fort Worth, TX

#169 Jun 26, 2008
Maja wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing spree? Do you REALLY think he INTENTIONALLY went out and DELIBERATELY killed these people? Really!
That 'punk' you refer to has changed his life because of this event! He will NEVER be the same - as I know the Bruce family will never be the same as well. Can we all just see this as something terribly awful that happened and hope and PRAY that this has changed lives for the better? It's not like this type of accident hasn't happened before to other families and it's not likely that because of this, it will not happen again to others. Just watch the news! Please don't take my comments as a way of an excuse for driving fatalities, but it DOES happen! And who is to say that it couldn't happen to anyone of us!
While I'm happy for Colton, the sting will never go away. I know, my brother-in-law was killed in an automobile ACCIDENT. But I NEVER blamed the driver of the other vehicle - for I knew accidents happen. While my family has suffered, we have made peace with it. And that's the biggest obsticle to overcome. And because of it, we are all stronger. We have no chips on our shoulders. No anger to stuff inside. No bitterness to harbor.
I will continue to pray for the Bruce children and their families. And for Colton. I would hope that those of you who can let go of your anger, resentment AND blame to do the same.
Forgiveness is powerful!
At least he still has a "life" to change. Unfortunately, that's not the case for the Bruces. It's great that you didn't blame the driver of the vehicle that killed your brother-in-law. I don't know the circumstances behind that accident. However when someone is notorious for driving recklessly, I'm not sure they should be blameless in any "accident" their recklessness causes. Haslet residents have commented for years that he (Colton) is going to kill somone with his reckless driving. I've witnessed one of his accidents and heard about many others. If I'm not mistaken he had one a few years ago where a passenger in his vehicle was severly injured. My point, intoxicated or not, he caused the accident and should be held accountable. I believe he will be held accountable for any role he played in the death of the Bruces.
Praying for the littles

Fort Worth, TX

#170 Jul 2, 2008
Any updates on this? Have they changed the charges to involuntary manslaughter yet? Sounds like this kid definitely needs a wake-up call before he kills anyone else.
still touches my heart

United States

#172 Feb 21, 2010
Just wondering if Colton has turned his life around. Did this change his life?
Hmmm

Mesquite, TX

#173 Mar 18, 2010
john wrote:
I went to school with colton and he is a good kid. Everyone out there is making it look like he intended to kill those people. why? do yall really think he ment to do this.? colton is a nice person and would never mean to do harm to anyone. The fact is that he is very sorry and his life has been changed forever. Colton is not a bad guy, hes my friend and i support colton.
Get drunk and behind the wheel and you just loaded a automatic weapon and carrying it around with you with the safety off and pointed directly at everyone around you. The chances that it will accidently fire are huge. If you look at it that way, then you know the risk. He didn't want to fire it, but he also knew it could happen and didn't do what he could to mitigate the chances of it happening by calling someone, taking a cab, or just plain not putting himself in that position in the first place.

Does not mean he murdered those people, but he is responsible for their deaths and should pay accordingly. It is easy to judge when you are not the victim or know any of the parties. It is much harder when you know both or if Colton's best friend was in the car with him and he died.
Vehicular Homicide

Jonesboro, AR

#174 Apr 1, 2010
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Get drunk and behind the wheel and you just loaded a automatic weapon and carrying it around with you with the safety off and pointed directly at everyone around you. The chances that it will accidently fire are huge. If you look at it that way, then you know the risk. He didn't want to fire it, but he also knew it could happen and didn't do what he could to mitigate the chances of it happening by calling someone, taking a cab, or just plain not putting himself in that position in the first place.
Does not mean he murdered those people, but he is responsible for their deaths and should pay accordingly. It is easy to judge when you are not the victim or know any of the parties. It is much harder when you know both or if Colton's best friend was in the car with him and he died.
It's called Vehicular Homicide if you are UNDER THE INFUENCE & behind the wheel in Texas. I hope by now they have passed the law about Cell Phones & driving that kills just as many people.(Injures more) A DRUNK DRIVER on a CELL PHONE killed my Best Friends & one of my Closest Cousins. coincidence??:(
Grandpa Joe

Mesquite, TX

#175 Apr 5, 2010
Vehicular Homicide wrote:
<quoted text>It's called Vehicular Homicide if you are UNDER THE INFUENCE & behind the wheel in Texas. I hope by now they have passed the law about Cell Phones & driving that kills just as many people.(Injures more) A DRUNK DRIVER on a CELL PHONE killed my Best Friends & one of my Closest Cousins. coincidence??:(
No, it is not. Your definition is Driving under the Influence. If you happen to get into an accident and kill someone you CAN be charged with Vehicular Homicide.

You also made an incorrect statement that cell phone use while driving kills just as many people. Also an incorrect statement. Though we can prove that any distration to the driver will decrease his/her ability to react, the exact same conclusion can be made from radios, GPS units, talking to passengers, eating food, etc. The only cause and effect is based upon the distraction and reaction time. Drinking and drugs change the mental ability to react biologically whereas distractions change the mental ability to react based upon the distraction itself.

The greater the distraction, the greater the probablility for an accident. Thus, you could surmise that talking on a cell phone can increase the probability of an accident. Texting, dialing, messing with the radio, gps, etc. Have a greater probability as the eyes leave the roadway to give attention to the distraction.

It has also been proven that the same conversation on a cell phone and with someone sitting next to you in a car has the same effect when using hands free devices. Holding the cell phone makes it harder to do the other distractions such as radio, have two hands to control all the devices in the car, etc. Same can be said of eating a sandwich or drinking water.

How about tired drivers. These guys account for a huge number of fatality accidents.

How about stupid people. They account for far greater probability of accidents. Should we outlaw that too?

The nut is the distraction added culpability for the accident, and if something is legal outside of the vehicle, it will happen inside of the vehicle no matter how many laws we enact. It is the accountibility before and after that is important. And what actions by either or both parties were the result of the accident.

Sad fact is there are actions that may be worse than being legally intoxicated behind the wheel, but the DUI will lose every single time. An example is someone driving down the road at 100 MPH racing his buddy and runs into a car driving 40 MPH. THe 100 MPH kid was sober, the 40 MPH car was just over the legal limit. The 100 MPH kid dies, the 40 MPH driver has a high probability of facing DUI involving death charges.
Brett

Jersey City, NJ

#176 May 1, 2010
Sad
Wondering

Fort Worth, TX

#177 Sep 6, 2011
Wondering how this played out? Are the kids okay? The driver face consequences? Does anyone know? Touched my heart years ago.
Anon

United States

#178 Aug 6, 2012
Colton did nothing wrong. His light was green and there were MULTIPLE witnesses that saw that his light was green. Not theirs. They are the one to blame for this. Not Colton. They ran the red light. Not Colton. My heart goes out to those poor kids, but the parents are the ones who ran that red light. Not saying he was right to drive while he was drinking, but he wasn't fall down on his butt drunk. He wasn't even buzzed! If he would have had one sip of alcohol, he would be accused of drunk driving! But his light was green, and it was the vans fault that the crash happened. Colton did nothing wrong, except for driving while drinking.
Good gosh, why do you think they dropped the case? Because they had evidence that Colton's light was green and theirs was red.
Everyone was a victim. Even Colton.
true

Roanoke, TX

#179 Sep 4, 2012
Anon wrote:
Colton did nothing wrong. His light was green and there were MULTIPLE witnesses that saw that his light was green. Not theirs. They are the one to blame for this. Not Colton. They ran the red light. Not Colton. My heart goes out to those poor kids, but the parents are the ones who ran that red light. Not saying he was right to drive while he was drinking, but he wasn't fall down on his butt drunk. He wasn't even buzzed! If he would have had one sip of alcohol, he would be accused of drunk driving! But his light was green, and it was the vans fault that the crash happened. Colton did nothing wrong, except for driving while drinking.
Good gosh, why do you think they dropped the case? Because they had evidence that Colton's light was green and theirs was red.
Everyone was a victim. Even Colton.
He is such a victim huh??? Will he be a victim next time he kills someone because he is high an drunk? I am from Montague county but live in Keller and I remember when this happen his name has always stuck in my head (Colton's) so when I saw him name in the sheriffs report a couple of months back I thought oh yea he is really a changed man huh! He was arrested for drug possession by the way!
Becca

Stephenville, TX

#181 Oct 13, 2015
wake up wrote:
Colton could be a victim as these children might become. Not all children are raised with a firm hand with parents love.
We are not sure who really raised Colton. Was he given things just to get rid of him?
Spoilt! Parents who were not there for him?
What will take place with these children?
will they be drinkers? fast drivers? We pray not.
I have read all the stories written and feel there are more than one kind of victim.
I see some say he was living with his parents and others say No! Not there.
Had his parents kicked him out???? Do they feel guilty now? Does anyone know for sure?
Who and how will these poor kids be raised?
There needs to be some serious help with their little minds to be sure they are not always looking over their shoulder with the fear of another car wreck. That seems the most important thing at this moment.
They need really expert guidance. to prevent to much or not enough.
If one ends up with big troubles will others know what troubles they have seen and help or will it be said, They should never have touched alcohol but yet who knows what will come about in this world or what might warp their lives.
I pray they will be OK. Receive the proper hands in their life and be as their parents would want.
I just feel a heavy spot in my heart for them. I pray I am wrong but, feel such a burden for the whole group. I will continue to read and pray for "All of the Families"
It is not my job to try to condemn Colton or Family for their love of him. I am not their Judge and Jury.
I just think it is in "Poor Taste" to say something as I am not walking in their shoes and say, Thank you Lord, I at this time am not. I have Children and grand children and who knows when one might get a wild hair. They are not brought up to do this sort of thing. Then how many are?
I will not cast the first stone.
All things work to the good for those who love the Lord and I pray this is true in this case.
Just stop the petty cursing and wait for the answers.
No, I am not a family member of any of them. I don't know them but have a heavy heart for them all!
I am the victim of this wreck and I would like you to know me and my brother are being raised by out Chirstian grandparents and attend a Christian private school. We do not fear because we know the Lord keeps us safe. Thank you for your prayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Mary M. Robb, DDS (Apr '15) Apr 14 Big bad tough john 2
Looking for chad a isaacs? (Apr '13) Apr 5 Big bad tough john 97
Keller Cops (May '07) Apr 4 Chris 77
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 1 haha 981
train noise (Feb '12) Mar 31 Big bad tough john 29
In search of Great Dane Stud Mar '16 Big bad tough john 3
A home that embodies Colleyville (Oct '15) Mar '16 Nelson Thibodeaux 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keller Mortgages