Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and ste...

Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and stepfather

There are 176 comments on the Fort Worth Star-Telegram story from Nov 9, 2007, titled Kids lost dad in '02, now mom and stepfather. In it, Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that:

Jason and Nora "Beth" Bruce and their children spent their last night together at one of their favorite places, Milestone Church in Keller.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
MaJa

AOL

#1 Nov 10, 2007
My heart is broken for all involved in this tragic accident. The children, their family and friends. But my heart also goes out to the other victim in this accident, Colton McGuffin. I have known Colton for almost 10 years and can attest that he is a sweet-hearted person who would never intentionally hurt anyone. I understand why the media has focused on the negative aspects of him as we all need someone to blame in incidences such as these. But I must speak out to the other family who had their lives shattered that night. Colton's life will never be the same, I know Colton, and I know he is sickened by what happened. He, as all of us, has made some bad choices in his life. This was an accident. Plain and simple. No one is to blame.
TnT

Little Elm, TX

#2 Nov 10, 2007
Colton is not a vicitm by any means, it is no different than taking a gun and shooting them. The two children who lost their mom and stepdad because of him are the only victims. He chose to drive drunk and take his chances, he is to blame. It's sickening and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison. It's not an accident, he chose to get in his vehicle and drive. He should of thought about the consequences before he drove.
RockTheBoat

AOL

#3 Nov 10, 2007
MaJa wrote:
My heart is broken for all involved in this tragic accident. The children, their family and friends. But my heart also goes out to the other victim in this accident, Colton McGuffin. I have known Colton for almost 10 years and can attest that he is a sweet-hearted person who would never intentionally hurt anyone. I understand why the media has focused on the negative aspects of him as we all need someone to blame in incidences such as these. But I must speak out to the other family who had their lives shattered that night. Colton's life will never be the same, I know Colton, and I know he is sickened by what happened. He, as all of us, has made some bad choices in his life. This was an accident. Plain and simple. No one is to blame.
I don't feel sorry for anyone who willingly and knowingly climbed into a vehicle, after they were drunk and ultimately caused an accident which resulted in the death of these people who happened to be the parents of these two darling children who won't have their parents for the holidays or forever for that matter. No excuses, just like the mother of the man who drove a car drunk and killed a police officer, she came on this board and proclaimed his innocence. He drove drunk. Period. So did this man. Or, apparently there is an assumption that he was drunk, and if he was.....no excuses. If he was drunk, I hope he pays for this for the rest of his life.

Keller, Texas
June

Brandon, MS

#5 Nov 10, 2007
MaJa

I can not believe the nerve of you to call Colton a victim. He is no victim here. The kids that lost their parents as a result of Coltons stupidity to drive while intoxicated and run a red light. The kids went under surgery because they suffered injuries because of this stupid @sshole. While he walks away from jail on bond and with no injuries. Those kids and their family are the only victims here. Colton should of been the one to pay with his life. I agree with RockTheBoat, he should pay for the rest of his life. Although the only ones that are going to live with this tragedy for the rest of their lives are the kids. How very sad.
Truth

The Colony, TX

#6 Nov 11, 2007
MaJa wrote:
My heart is broken for all involved in this tragic accident. The children, their family and friends. But my heart also goes out to the other victim in this accident, Colton McGuffin. I have known Colton for almost 10 years and can attest that he is a sweet-hearted person who would never intentionally hurt anyone. I understand why the media has focused on the negative aspects of him as we all need someone to blame in incidences such as these. But I must speak out to the other family who had their lives shattered that night. Colton's life will never be the same, I know Colton, and I know he is sickened by what happened. He, as all of us, has made some bad choices in his life. This was an accident. Plain and simple. No one is to blame.
An accident? Perhaps. But one that could have easily been prevented had Colton McGuffin's friends & family seen to it that he had been held fully responsible for his past bad decisions. Instead, they pitied him as a "victim" and saw to it that he got off lightly. To my mind, this makes them and you, MaJa, accessories before the fact to his current and future crimes.

When Robert Heinlein said "Do not cripple your children by making their lives easy.", Colton's family and friends should have been listening.

It is past time that you and others of Colton's friends & family shoulder your responsibilties and do everything in your collective power to see that this never happens again by withdrawing all support for this criminal.
FJKDSL

Ada, OK

#7 Nov 11, 2007
I don't feel sorry for anyone who willingly and knowingly climbed into a vehicle, after they were drunk and ultimately caused an accident which resulted in the death of these people who happened to be the parents of these two darling children who won't have their parents for the holidays or forever for that matter. No excuses, just like the mother of the man who drove a car drunk and killed a police officer, she came on this board and proclaimed his innocence. He drove drunk. Period. So did this man. Or, apparently there is an assumption that he was drunk, and if he was.....no excuses. If he was drunk, I hope he pays for this for the rest of his life.

Keller, Texas

So... ROCKTHEBOAT, you say all of this but I have been reading some past articles and you are the one that keeps bitching and trying to start shit with everybody because of the "you are innocent until proven guilty"!!! What are you doing here then??? It appears you are accusing somone of being guilty before he's been proven that way!! Now I do not believe that this kid is innocent and I do not like the fact that he was obviously drunk, and they proved it, then they let him out on bond, but my point is you need to shut the HELL up and quit trying to start stuff with people. You are sorry RockTheBoat, and I wish I knew where you lived because I would come to you house and take a big ol shit on your front door mat!!!

FJKDSL
RockTheBoat

AOL

#8 Nov 11, 2007
FJKDSL wrote:
I don't feel sorry for anyone who willingly and knowingly climbed into a vehicle, after they were drunk and ultimately caused an accident which resulted in the death of these people who happened to be the parents of these two darling children who won't have their parents for the holidays or forever for that matter. No excuses, just like the mother of the man who drove a car drunk and killed a police officer, she came on this board and proclaimed his innocence. He drove drunk. Period. So did this man. Or, apparently there is an assumption that he was drunk, and if he was.....no excuses. If he was drunk, I hope he pays for this for the rest of his life.
Keller, Texas
So... ROCKTHEBOAT, you say all of this but I have been reading some past articles and you are the one that keeps bitching and trying to start shit with everybody because of the "you are innocent until proven guilty"!!! What are you doing here then??? It appears you are accusing somone of being guilty before he's been proven that way!! Now I do not believe that this kid is innocent and I do not like the fact that he was obviously drunk, and they proved it, then they let him out on bond, but my point is you need to shut the HELL up and quit trying to start stuff with people. You are sorry RockTheBoat, and I wish I knew where you lived because I would come to you house and take a big ol shit on your front door mat!!!
FJKDSL
FJ....I'm not starting anything with anyone, I do stand behind "you are innocent until proven guilty", BUT in this case and any case involving a blood alcohol over the legal limit, that would be HUGELY different. I can't even believe you would question that. Reread what I said, IF the tests come back and confirm he was legally drunk, that would speak volumes in my mind. As for feeling the need to relieve yourself on my front door mat, please do, I need to do a little target practicing. ;D

Keller, Texas
john

San Angelo, TX

#9 Nov 11, 2007
I went to school with colton and he is a good kid. Everyone out there is making it look like he intended to kill those people. why? do yall really think he ment to do this.? colton is a nice person and would never mean to do harm to anyone. The fact is that he is very sorry and his life has been changed forever. Colton is not a bad guy, hes my friend and i support colton.
June

San Lorenzo, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2007
john wrote:
I went to school with colton and he is a good kid. Everyone out there is making it look like he intended to kill those people. why? do yall really think he ment to do this.? colton is a nice person and would never mean to do harm to anyone. The fact is that he is very sorry and his life has been changed forever. Colton is not a bad guy, hes my friend and i support colton.
You ask why everyone out there is making it look like he intended to kill those people? What the hell do you expect people to think of a person that gets behind the wheel intoxicated? Do you expect everyone to feel sorry for him after what he did to that family? He ruined their lifes and you have the nerve to say he feels very sorry or that it has changed his life. Him feeling very sorry is not going to change the fact that he killed two innocent people or how he injured three kids. Two of which he left without a mom and dad and had to have surgery because of this so called good guy you speak of. If he never really meant to do any harm then he shouldn't of been behind the wheel. As for supporting your friend, I hope you do while he's in prison for the rest of his life.
June

San Lorenzo, CA

#11 Nov 11, 2007
FJKDSL wrote:
So... ROCKTHEBOAT, you say all of this but I have been reading some past articles and you are the one that keeps bitching and trying to start shit with everybody because of the "you are innocent until proven guilty"!!! What are you doing here then??? It appears you are accusing somone of being guilty before he's been proven that way!! Now I do not believe that this kid is innocent and I do not like the fact that he was obviously drunk, and they proved it, then they let him out on bond, but my point is you need to shut the HELL up and quit trying to start stuff with people. You are sorry RockTheBoat, and I wish I knew where you lived because I would come to you house and take a big ol shit on your front door mat!!!FJKDSL
It so obvious that the only one wanting to start any shit with RockTheBoat is you. That and you also want to start some shit on his front door. How lame is that.
Mythoughts

Haltom City, TX

#12 Nov 11, 2007
I do not know Mr. McGuffin, but yes, he too is a victim, and also his family. It was definitely his fault and he will and should pay the consequences; however, to see the cold-hearted judgmental views posted about this reiterates how cold and sad our society has become. He is a 22 year old young man who made a very bad decision to driver after drinking and I believe in the laws that punish this; however, do not think that anyone that does this has no conscience. I can bet that many of you who posted this site have made mistakes that could have resulted in trajedy and fortunately for you, a different outcome occurred. Remember that this young man also has a family who is suffering through this all. Our society has got to become less judgemental and become a much more caring society or we will never overcome trajedies such as this. My prayers go out to the families of the deceased, as well as the families of the driver.
JustUs

Dallas, TX

#13 Nov 11, 2007
I was also heartbroken for the McGuffin family, having known them for years. WAS - until I was forwarded an e-mail his mom sent out to a few close friends. I was shocked and sickened when I read that "this was not Colton's fault" and went on to read how Chili's is to blame because he had just left there after drinking margarita's with friends. Yes, the family "holds Chili's responsible for serving him too many drinks." omg I couldn't believe it!! Funny thing is I know where they live and he wasn't coming from Chili's - he was about 200 yards from HIS STREET and coming FROM his house! Not going to his house.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out being that his family is VERY wealthy.

22 year old with no real job who still lives with his parents. I've no doubt that the truck is in his parents name since they hand him money left and right. This is a perfect example of a child who never had to take any responsiblity for his actions and have always had mom and dad bail him out - literally at times!!

So, maybe he is a victim - the victim of a rich family raising spoiled brats who think they're invincible and that the rules don't apply to them.
June

San Lorenzo, CA

#14 Nov 12, 2007
JustUs wrote:
I was also heartbroken for the McGuffin family, having known them for years. WAS - until I was forwarded an e-mail his mom sent out to a few close friends. I was shocked and sickened when I read that "this was not Colton's fault" and went on to read how Chili's is to blame because he had just left there after drinking margarita's with friends. Yes, the family "holds Chili's responsible for serving him too many drinks." omg I couldn't believe it!! Funny thing is I know where they live and he wasn't coming from Chili's - he was about 200 yards from HIS STREET and coming FROM his house! Not going to his house.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out being that his family is VERY wealthy.
22 year old with no real job who still lives with his parents. I've no doubt that the truck is in his parents name since they hand him money left and right. This is a perfect example of a child who never had to take any responsiblity for his actions and have always had mom and dad bail him out - literally at times!!
So, maybe he is a victim - the victim of a rich family raising spoiled brats who think they're invincible and that the rules don't apply to them.
Tell that to the people coming in here saying he is the victim. How pathetic. If this had been his first time then maybe some people wouldn't be making such a big deal but, like the article says, he has prior convictions. Geez! what a victim he is. A rich spoiled brat I believe that he is. How sad that his family has to make excuses for his actions. They should instead help him by letting him learn that when you do something wrong you have to take responsibility for your own actions. Bailing him out and making lousy excuses that it's someone elses fault and not his is only going to make him think that he can do whatever the hell he wants and mommy and daddy will get him out of trouble again. Well I hope that doesn't happen in this case.
Kellermom

Lewisville, TX

#15 Nov 12, 2007
Mythoughts wrote:
I do not know Mr. McGuffin, but yes, he too is a victim, and also his family. It was definitely his fault and he will and should pay the consequences; however, to see the cold-hearted judgmental views posted about this reiterates how cold and sad our society has become. He is a 22 year old young man who made a very bad decision to driver after drinking and I believe in the laws that punish this; however, do not think that anyone that does this has no conscience. I can bet that many of you who posted this site have made mistakes that could have resulted in trajedy and fortunately for you, a different outcome occurred. Remember that this young man also has a family who is suffering through this all. Our society has got to become less judgemental and become a much more caring society or we will never overcome trajedies such as this. My prayers go out to the families of the deceased, as well as the families of the driver.
I agree with you!!!!!!!!! It takes more energy to be compassionate, but it sure feels better. If everyone that made a bad choice, but wasn't caught got put in jail for life we would have very few people walking around.
MaJa

AOL

#16 Nov 12, 2007
JustUs wrote:
I was also heartbroken for the McGuffin family, having known them for years. WAS - until I was forwarded an e-mail his mom sent out to a few close friends. I was shocked and sickened when I read that "this was not Colton's fault" and went on to read how Chili's is to blame because he had just left there after drinking margarita's with friends. Yes, the family "holds Chili's responsible for serving him too many drinks." omg I couldn't believe it!! Funny thing is I know where they live and he wasn't coming from Chili's - he was about 200 yards from HIS STREET and coming FROM his house! Not going to his house.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out being that his family is VERY wealthy.
22 year old with no real job who still lives with his parents. I've no doubt that the truck is in his parents name since they hand him money left and right. This is a perfect example of a child who never had to take any responsiblity for his actions and have always had mom and dad bail him out - literally at times!!
So, maybe he is a victim - the victim of a rich family raising spoiled brats who think they're invincible and that the rules don't apply to them.
You know, everyone is jumping to conclusions here. Yes, Colton was at Chili's - and he only had 2 drinks! He was NOT on his way home, yes. He was on his way back to Chili's as he forgot his wallet at his house! He was in a hurry to get back to Chili's to pay his bill! Has anyone heard that there are 2 witnesses that said HIS LIGHT WAS GREEN when he 'plowed into that SUV'? Hummm....may the truth come out and may all you who throw stones at him eat your own words!!
Yes, Colton's family has money...but just because you have money doesn't automatically make you spoiled!
And here's a thought: I wonder how many of YOU have had a drink or two at a restaurant and driven home. If you were the one who "ran a red light" as the media has WRONGFULLY reported and ran into that family would you appreciate this shunned attitude from the public? Something to think about! How many of you are teetotalers? I wonder what you all would be saying now if Colton had NOT had 2 drinks - if he was COMPLETELY free of alcohol in his system! Would you be so harsh? This could have happened to ANY ONE OF YOU! It was an ACCIDENT!! The truth shall set you free...know the facts before you nail him to a cross!
MaJa

AOL

#17 Nov 12, 2007
One more thing, if YOU were his Mother - would you not try to protect your son? I don't blame her for her comment!!! And you should be ashamed of yourself for your lack of support to her at this time!!! I'm sure Colton AND his family are feeling disowned and ostracized by everyone! People are mean! You prove that!

“Boldly going nowhere...”

Since: Oct 07

Newport News, VA

#18 Nov 12, 2007
I am not pointing fingers at anyone I just want to say the family and children are in my prayers...
JEvans

Dallas, TX

#19 Nov 12, 2007
MAYBE YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD STOP BELIEVING EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ON TV OR READ IN THE NEWSPAPER, I HAVE THE UPMOST SYMPATHY FOR THOSE POOR CHILDREN, BUT COLTON HAS BEEN SUBJECTED TO THE MEDIA AND PORTRAYED IN AN UNFAIR WAY! YOU AND MOST PEOPLE DO NOT EVEN KNOW THE REAL STORY AND SHOULD KEEP YOUR OPINIONS TO YOURSELF UNLESS YOU DO KNOW!
JEvans

Dallas, TX

#20 Nov 12, 2007
He was headed back to Chili's to pay his bill, he ate a hamburger and fries and had 2 margaritas, went to pay and didn't have his wallet, he had gotten home, but went back out to go pay for his bill, like an honest man. Colton is a good guy, people should know that.
JEvans

Dallas, TX

#21 Nov 12, 2007
JustUs wrote:
I was also heartbroken for the McGuffin family, having known them for years. WAS - until I was forwarded an e-mail his mom sent out to a few close friends. I was shocked and sickened when I read that "this was not Colton's fault" and went on to read how Chili's is to blame because he had just left there after drinking margarita's with friends. Yes, the family "holds Chili's responsible for serving him too many drinks." omg I couldn't believe it!! Funny thing is I know where they live and he wasn't coming from Chili's - he was about 200 yards from HIS STREET and coming FROM his house! Not going to his house.
It will be interesting to see how this pans out being that his family is VERY wealthy.
22 year old with no real job who still lives with his parents. I've no doubt that the truck is in his parents name since they hand him money left and right. This is a perfect example of a child who never had to take any responsiblity for his actions and have always had mom and dad bail him out - literally at times!!
So, maybe he is a victim - the victim of a rich family raising spoiled brats who think they're invincible and that the rules don't apply to them.
He had been living with his grandparents the last few years, working for his grandfather, yes he worked for his family, but he brought home his own paycheck too. That is the most insencitive statement I have heard so far in this whole tragic situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arm our schools! May 18 Anonymous 1
News Police: Haltom City arson suspect was angry abo... (Jul '08) May 3 corey 30
*New*Looking For Chad Isaacs Redemption Apr '18 CuriousMove 5
Truant Grandchild What can be done? Who can help? Apr '18 Anonymous 1
News Paying red-light camera ticket can be tricky (Oct '09) Apr '18 rrr 32
Shooting in NRH TX sept 24th around 10PM wakefi... (Sep '11) Mar '18 Sak 56
Review: Crystal Diane Meehan Feb '18 crystal 2

Keller Jobs

Personal Finance

Keller Mortgages