SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! What freedoms have you lost?
The National Defense Authorization Act passed with large margins in both the House and the Senate on the last day of last year – even as tens of thousands of Americans were frantically begging their representatives to secure Americans' habeas corpus rights in the final version.

Under the act, anyone can be described as a 'belligerent". As the New American website puts it,

"[S]ubsequent clauses (Section 1022, for example) unlawfully give the president the absolute and unquestionable authority to deploy the armed forces of the United States to apprehend and to indefinitely detain those suspected of threatening the security of the 'homeland'. In the language of this legislation, these people are called 'covered persons'.

"The universe of potential 'covered persons' includes every citizen of the United States of America. Any American could one day find himself or herself branded a 'belligerent' and thus subject to the complete confiscation of his or her constitutional civil liberties and nearly never-ending incarceration in a military prison."

And with a new bill now being introduced to make it a crime to protest in a way that disrupts any government process – or to get close to anyone with secret service protection – the push to legally lock down the United Police States is in full force.

Overstated? Let's be clear: the NDAA grants the president the power to kidnap any American anywhere in the United States and hold him or her in prison forever without trial. The president's own signing statement, incredibly, confirmed that he had that power. As I have been warning since 2006: there is not a country on the planet that you can name that has ever set in place a system of torture, and of detention without trial, for an "other", supposedly external threat that did not end up using it pretty quickly on its own citizens.

As former Reagan official, Bruce Fein points out, on 1 March, we won't just lose the bill of rights; we will lose due process altogether. We will be back at the place where we were, in terms of legal tradition, before the signing of the Magna Carta – when kings could throw people in prison at will, to rot there forever.

We didn't care, or we didn't care enough – and here we are. We acclimated, we got distracted, the Oscars were coming up … but the fake "battlefield" was brought home to us, now real enough. Though it is not "we" versus Muslims in this conflict; it is our very own government versus "us". As one of my Facebook community members remarked bitterly, of our House representatives, our Senate leaders and our president, "They hate our freedoms."

The NDAA is, in the words of Shahid Buttar of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee, "the worst threat to civil liberties since COINTELPRO. It gives the government the power to presume guilt rather than innocence, and indefinitely imprison anyone accused of a 'belligerent act' or terror-related offense without trial." He points out that it gives future presidents the power to arrest their political critics. That may even be understating things: it is actually, in my view, the worst threat to civil liberty in the US since habeas corpus was last suspended, during the American civil war.

History shows that at this point, there isn't much time to mount a defense: once the first few arrests take place, people go quiet. There is only one solution: organize votes loudly and publicly to defeat every single signer of this bill in November's general election. Then, once we have our Republic back and the rule of law, we can deal with the actual treason that this law represents.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
The National Defense Authorization Act passed with large margins in both the House and the Senate on the last day of last year – even as tens of thousands of Americans were frantically begging their representatives to secure Americans' habeas corpus rights in the final version.
Under the act, anyone can be described as a 'belligerent". As the New American website puts it,
"[S]ubsequent clauses (Section 1022, for example) unlawfully give the president the absolute and unquestionable authority to deploy the armed forces of the United States to apprehend and to indefinitely detain those suspected of threatening the security of the 'homeland'. In the language of this legislation, these people are called 'covered persons'.
"The universe of potential 'covered persons' includes every citizen of the United States of America. Any American could one day find himself or herself branded a 'belligerent' and thus subject to the complete confiscation of his or her constitutional civil liberties and nearly never-ending incarceration in a military prison."
And with a new bill now being introduced to make it a crime to protest in a way that disrupts any government process – or to get close to anyone with secret service protection – the push to legally lock down the United Police States is in full force.
Overstated? Let's be clear: the NDAA grants the president the power to kidnap any American anywhere in the United States and hold him or her in prison forever without trial. The president's own signing statement, incredibly, confirmed that he had that power. As I have been warning since 2006: there is not a country on the planet that you can name that has ever set in place a system of torture, and of detention without trial, for an "other", supposedly external threat that did not end up using it pretty quickly on its own citizens.
As former Reagan official, Bruce Fein points out, on 1 March, we won't just lose the bill of rights; we will lose due process altogether. We will be back at the place where we were, in terms of legal tradition, before the signing of the Magna Carta – when kings could throw people in prison at will, to rot there forever.
We didn't care, or we didn't care enough – and here we are. We acclimated, we got distracted, the Oscars were coming up … but the fake "battlefield" was brought home to us, now real enough. Though it is not "we" versus Muslims in this conflict; it is our very own government versus "us". As one of my Facebook community members remarked bitterly, of our House representatives, our Senate leaders and our president, "They hate our freedoms."
The NDAA is, in the words of Shahid Buttar of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee, "the worst threat to civil liberties since COINTELPRO. It gives the government the power to presume guilt rather than innocence, and indefinitely imprison anyone accused of a 'belligerent act' or terror-related offense without trial." He points out that it gives future presidents the power to arrest their political critics. That may even be understating things: it is actually, in my view, the worst threat to civil liberty in the US since habeas corpus was last suspended, during the American civil war.
History shows that at this point, there isn't much time to mount a defense: once the first few arrests take place, people go quiet. There is only one solution: organize votes loudly and publicly to defeat every single signer of this bill in November's general election. Then, once we have our Republic back and the rule of law, we can deal with the actual treason that this law represents.
Honestly I read about two paragraphs of that diatribe. That's a lot of words for just one question I asked you! What rights did you lose?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
What rights did YOU lose?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

What freedoms did you lose?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>What rights did YOU lose?
Simplified for simple minds:
Under NDAA, no one is safe from indefinite detention, effectively undoing the First, Fourth and Fifth Amendments.

Those are huge rights to lose. I lost them and so did you.

Indefinite detention policies are considered human rights violations under international law. Understanding this, President Obama swore to veto the bill, and then broke that promise while Americans celebrated the New Year, violating his oath to uphold the United States Constitution and revoking hard-won legal rights.

His signature was accompanied by a reassuring statement that Obama would never use the power, because the provision “is inconsistent with our most important traditions and values as a Nation.” Though poetic, this has no legal force and future executives are not bound by his promises.

But there may be hope. Just don't count on it.
WASHINGTON, May 18, 2012 — A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction on Wednesday to prevent the Obama Administration from exercising the indefinite detention authority granted to it by the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
Simplified for simple minds:
Under NDAA, no one is safe from indefinite detention, effectively undoing the First, Fourth and Fifth Amendments.
Those are huge rights to lose. I lost them and so did you.
Indefinite detention policies are considered human rights violations under international law. Understanding this, President Obama swore to veto the bill, and then broke that promise while Americans celebrated the New Year, violating his oath to uphold the United States Constitution and revoking hard-won legal rights.
His signature was accompanied by a reassuring statement that Obama would never use the power, because the provision “is inconsistent with our most important traditions and values as a Nation.” Though poetic, this has no legal force and future executives are not bound by his promises.
But there may be hope. Just don't count on it.
WASHINGTON, May 18, 2012 — A federal judge issued a preliminary injunction on Wednesday to prevent the Obama Administration from exercising the indefinite detention authority granted to it by the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act.
Nobody has lost their 1s,t 4th or 5th Amendment rights! I know this for a fact. This is what I do for a living. Name me ONE just ONE person who has lost just ONE of those you mentioned? I also want to know what FREEDOMS YOU lost, after all I have a simple mind!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
What freedoms did you lose?
As a freedom loving American citizen, I am not free to walk the streets anywhere and not be on film. Being watched by somebody. Somebody I don't even know.

I am not free to sit in my backyard and smoke a doobie. Not that I want to. I don't do drugs. But as an adult fully capable of making my own decisions in life- as long as they don't infringe on someone elses rights- I should be able to put any substance in my body that I want without the fear of being "kidnapped" and thrown in prison. Who is someone else to tell me what I can and can't do with my own body?
(BTW, this has NOTHING to do with abortion- which is murder and infringing on someone else's right to live.)

I am not free to drive my truck without some cop peering in my window to see if my seatbelt is on- again my body, my decision.

Big brother has intruded on our lives bigtime and you know it.
This is BOTH parties, my friend.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody has lost their 1s,t 4th or 5th Amendment rights! I know this for a fact. This is what I do for a living. Name me ONE just ONE person who has lost just ONE of those you mentioned? I also want to know what FREEDOMS YOU lost, after all I have a simple mind!
Maybe nobody lost them YET. But the power has been given to the president. Read the bill. Obama signed it while everyone was preoccupied with New Years celebrations. FACT.
ugh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

If they take a woman's right to abort a baby do you guys realize how many young, single mothers there will be? Not to mention there will be sooooo many kids up for adoption? Who is gonna take care all of those kids and where are they gonna find a home. If they find a home. I'd rather a girl abort a baby than give it a terrible life growing up. If a woman was raped and had a baby then that child will be picked on, beaten up, and eventually commit suicide. Look at the future. Not what suits you at the moment
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
As a freedom loving American citizen, I am not free to walk the streets anywhere and not be on film. Being watched by somebody. Somebody I don't even know.
I am not free to sit in my backyard and smoke a doobie. Not that I want to. I don't do drugs. But as an adult fully capable of making my own decisions in life- as long as they don't infringe on someone elses rights- I should be able to put any substance in my body that I want without the fear of being "kidnapped" and thrown in prison. Who is someone else to tell me what I can and can't do with my own body?
(BTW, this has NOTHING to do with abortion- which is murder and infringing on someone else's right to live.)
I am not free to drive my truck without some cop peering in my window to see if my seatbelt is on- again my body, my decision.
Big brother has intruded on our lives bigtime and you know it.
This is BOTH parties, my friend.
I can walk the streets here and not be on film. Does my right to film you trump your right not to be filmed? What gives you the right to photograph birds especially if they are on somebodies private property? Should you have the right to do 100 mph down the street in your car? Should you be able to work an illegal alien for One dollar an hour if both of you agree on it? Should you be able to wallk down the street naked? Why should you have to buy health, auto and home insurance? You may never need any of those. You are free to sit in your backyard and smoke dope, you are free to rape a child, you are free to murder. God gave you free will, you can do whatever you want you just have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Do you believe there should be any laws? Which laws? The ones that benefit only you?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
Maybe nobody lost them YET. But the power has been given to the president. Read the bill. Obama signed it while everyone was preoccupied with New Years celebrations. FACT.
NOBODY has lost ANY FREEDOMS granted by the Constitution of the United States.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

ugh wrote:
If they take a woman's right to abort a baby do you guys realize how many young, single mothers there will be? Not to mention there will be sooooo many kids up for adoption? Who is gonna take care all of those kids and where are they gonna find a home. If they find a home. I'd rather a girl abort a baby than give it a terrible life growing up. If a woman was raped and had a baby then that child will be picked on, beaten up, and eventually commit suicide. Look at the future. Not what suits you at the moment
WOW! My momma warned me there was people like you out there!
ugh

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Oh you have a mom? I thought you were raised by douchbags from the way you talk.
Churmudgeon

Oxford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

old friend wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why do we support Israel? One reason, rich Jews in new York and Florida have politicians in their hip pocket because they give allot of campaign money out to politicians who support Israel, both democrat and republican.
I think we should just pack up and leave the middle east. we only get less than10% of our oil from there. That whole region isnt worth one US soldier,s life!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I can walk the streets here and not be on film. Does my right to film you trump your right not to be filmed? What gives you the right to photograph birds especially if they are on somebodies private property? Should you have the right to do 100 mph down the street in your car? Should you be able to work an illegal alien for One dollar an hour if both of you agree on it? Should you be able to wallk down the street naked? Why should you have to buy health, auto and home insurance? You may never need any of those. You are free to sit in your backyard and smoke dope, you are free to rape a child, you are free to murder. God gave you free will, you can do whatever you want you just have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Do you believe there should be any laws? Which laws? The ones that benefit only you?
That's a whole lot of questions. Don't you know anything?:)

"you can do whatever you want you just have to suffer the consequences of your actions."
Consequences according to who?
If my actions do absolutely nothing to infringe on the rights of another person, why should there be "consequences?" BTW, I'm not talking about doing 100mph. That DOES infringe on others and puts them in danger. We need some laws. How many laws do we have? Is it even possible to enforce them all?
Churmudgeon

Oxford, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
I always said that before being allowed to vote you should have to take a short quiz.
First question: What form of government do we have; a democracy or a republic?
Its a Republic and I want to keep it that way. A Democracy is two wolves and a sheep on a island voting on what to eat.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>WOW! My momma warned me there was people like you out there!
She was right! They are WAY out there and you just proved it!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

<quoted text>
That's a whole lot of questions. Don't you know anything?:)
"you can do whatever you want you just have to suffer the consequences of your actions."
Consequences according to who?
If my actions do absolutely nothing to infringe on the rights of another person, why should there be "consequences?" BTW, I'm not talking about doing 100mph. That DOES infringe on others and puts them in danger. We need some laws. How many laws do we have? Is it even possible to enforce them all?
You don't think smoking dope puts other peoples lifes in danger?

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I think we should just pack up and leave the middle east. we only get less than10% of our oil from there. That whole region isnt worth one US soldier,s life!
Agreed.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2012

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Its a Republic and I want to keep it that way. A Democracy is two wolves and a sheep on a island voting on what to eat.
Now we are getting into an area where we can agree.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 14,181 - 14,200 of28,689
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Keiser Discussions

Search the Keiser Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
People 44 min sherrygillmore 6
huddlehouse 1 hr Tom 20
Do you know Jesus? (Jun '08) 1 hr guest 14,693
I Am A Rose 3 hr Weiner Schintzel 9
grill shrimp spices 3 hr my truths 1
Lepanto Auction (Feb '10) 5 hr idawhore 77
How come 12 hr really 3
•••
•••