Dissolution of the Village Of Keeseville

Posted in the Keeseville Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 70 Comments Last updated Aug 27, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Life Long Resident

Gloversville, NY

#1 Jan 18, 2013
It has come to my attention by way of the United States Postal Service there is a Citizens Against Dissolution as a letter to SWAY our family away from dissolving the Village.

The interesting thing was there was no return address and simply signed CITIZENS AGAINST DISSOLUTION.

Personally I do not like to be swayed against a vote as I would rather hear the facts and not "IN OUR OPINION" letter.

Then in closing to hears Village Residents will lose their jobs and government will get bigger and the identity will be gone forever.

BOGUS.

People lose jobs everyday by downsizing government and companies. Government will not change perhaps hire some of those employees on with the Town's and furthermore Keeseville is not going anywhere.

Keeseville will be Keeseville whether on the Town of Ausable or Town of Chesterfield side divided simply by a County.

There as no numbers enclosed to show how no savings would be made. Again, just in "OUR OPINION."

So folk, please do not let a letter like this SCARE YOU, PERSUADE YOU as this is America and we have our own free will say.

In conclusion to hear that the Village Government is the purest form of government and that we have the ability to visit locally and questions and concerns be taking care of by neighborhood folks and if we do not like them to vote them out.

I have to laugh out loud as what will change with the Town of Ausable or Town of Chesterfield.

Point made are they local. Yes.
Are they local citizens. Yes.
Can we still vote them out if we do not like them. Yes.

Regardless of my vote yes or no.

This letter is nothing more than a political ploy. Whomever is on the committee there has to be some motive and not for the best of Keeseville.

By the way. Who is on this committee?

That should explain things.

That is my OPINION. What is yours.

Either way excercise your RIGHT TO VOTE before the government takes that right away from you.
Keeseville an

Plattsburgh, NY

#2 Jan 18, 2013
Yes you beat me to it. I was just about to open a post on the same subject after getting this anonymous B.S. letter in the mail. Who is this so called citizens against dissolution? If I had to guess its probably that shady mayor. Whoever it is must be scared of losing their village job and benefits. And my house is assessed for $100,000, so I am voting to dissolve. And if your house isn't assessed for that much, you should probably think into the near future, because once the housing market rebounds, YOUR property will be assessed for more than it is now. This chance to dissolve is now, and we probably won't have this opportunity again. Also, if the water goes up some, big deal, we are still saving the few hundred dollars from not paying village taxes. And if one town tries to jack the other on water, we'll just jack them back on sewer!
Life Long Resident

Gloversville, NY

#3 Jan 18, 2013
Keeseville an wrote:
Yes you beat me to it. I was just about to open a post on the same subject after getting this anonymous B.S. letter in the mail. Who is this so called citizens against dissolution? If I had to guess its probably that shady mayor. Whoever it is must be scared of losing their village job and benefits. And my house is assessed for $100,000, so I am voting to dissolve. And if your house isn't assessed for that much, you should probably think into the near future, because once the housing market rebounds, YOUR property will be assessed for more than it is now. This chance to dissolve is now, and we probably won't have this opportunity again. Also, if the water goes up some, big deal, we are still saving the few hundred dollars from not paying village taxes. And if one town tries to jack the other on water, we'll just jack them back on sewer!
Two great minds think alike. Deejeevuu! Great point. We would pay by the water & sewer use anyhow and if not paying Village tax would perhaps equal out. That letter I felt was not well thought out just a rambling letter to confuse taxpayers and residents of the Village. Yes, anonymous though we are as well so will give them that. You might be right though.

One last thought. If we could find out who is on that committee as if someone from the board or the Mayor would that be a conflict of interest. I know the mayor is not suppose to persuade one way or the other. Would you know if the board is to have a public opinion or would they have to be neutral. Anyone know the laws?

Also, what if the committee or group are not even Village residents and perhaps Town residents to keep the Village from dissolving thinking their taxes might go up. That too would be a call for a revote if the case.

Some valid points made.

Any further thoughts?
keeseville an

Plattsburgh, NY

#4 Jan 18, 2013
look at the press republican online. a new story just came out on this. seems like all the points in the letter sent to us relate to the people on the village board ideas. crooked politics if you ask me and i believe holderman voiced his opinion in the news letter sent with the last water bill trying to persuade the residents. Dale Holderman can go the f--k back to peru for all i care, i'm glad i didn't vote for him. i also tend to believe that he may be drinking at the meetings up there that dont get over until 11 p.m.
Life Long Resident

Gloversville, NY

#5 Jan 18, 2013
keeseville an wrote:
look at the press republican online. a new story just came out on this. seems like all the points in the letter sent to us relate to the people on the village board ideas. crooked politics if you ask me and i believe holderman voiced his opinion in the news letter sent with the last water bill trying to persuade the residents. Dale Holderman can go the f--k back to peru for all i care, i'm glad i didn't vote for him. i also tend to believe that he may be drinking at the meetings up there that dont get over until 11 p.m.
Will personally use Monday to try and get some answers as to the legality of "persuasion" tactics as I believe they all to refraim from swaying voters on this issue. Keep in mind, you gave an opinion as a resident. I gave an opinion as a resident. We did not ask the voters to vote yea or nea! If drinking at the meeting which I will make a point of looking into again, myself. If so than drinking and driving can be called upon. This is for the safety of our community. Thanks in advance for the "tips!"
StoptheBS

Peru, NY

#6 Jan 19, 2013
It is interesting that a full page ad can be taken out in the Vally News by those favoring dissolving but those with a different idea can not voice their opinion. And to say someone is drinking at "meetings" is quite an accusation. Which one and where. I am sure we would all like to see this!
You should be ashamed of yourself but then again where would we be without the drama!!
village resident

Plattsburgh, NY

#7 Jan 19, 2013
I have seen the letter but didn't receive it and I am in the village. I wonder where they get their info. todays paper.....Mr. King you think you'll have time to sway those old people to vote your way while your driving them to the poll like you did years ago????
StoptheBS

Peru, NY

#8 Jan 19, 2013
If you live in the Town of Ausable you might have seen the results of the last great movement to make Village government smaller. A 49 percent increase in taxes for village residents. With one phone call I found out tHat this was due to the past Mayor getting rid of the codes officer, the Village court and the Dog Control officer. I am wondering now if this is the end, or is this the beginning! They haven't taken over all the things the Village does yet like plowing, grass cutting,ect... Someone has to do the work and it is not free! The difference if the Village dissolves is "YOU" will not have much of a say in how your tax dollars are spent. Remember, only 1/2 of the voters will be in each town. The town boards will have the entire town to worry about not just the little hamlet of Keeseville. YOUR vote now will be diluted to the point of not mattering much in the overall scheme of things. The founders of Keeseville had the best interest of the community in mind a hundred years ago and I think it still holds true today, with support of the community Keeseville could move forward to bigger and better things, it just takes a "Community to raise a child".
I would like to point out that this opinion was submitted without attacking anyone personally, using profanity or telling anyone to get out of town.

Since: Jan 13

Peru, NY

#9 Jan 19, 2013
So,leaving politics aside, the best thing to do is vote. This is my first time on this website, and seeing different views, makes me wonder why the former mayor supported the dissolution first hand. It should not even be a discussion here! The effects of her move are seen in the last tax bill. Just as some of you, I called and asked why? The explanation was simple: getting rid of some services, and this is not ok! Expect more increase if you vote to dissolve! My view is, look at what happened in Malone and other towns making this decission. Once you make it,you can't take it back!! Just think rationally, that's all I ask! The village is on the right track! let's make it stronger! together!
StoptheBS

Peru, NY

#10 Jan 19, 2013
Nice reply, it is a good thing to see that folks can have a civil conversation without accuations and the like. Whatever the outcome, we all still live here and need to be neighbors and a community.

Since: Jan 13

Peru, NY

#11 Jan 19, 2013
StoptheBS wrote:
Nice reply, it is a good thing to see that folks can have a civil conversation without accuations and the like. Whatever the outcome, we all still live here and need to be neighbors and a community.
You're welcome! I hope people leave the nastiness aside and look at the big picture. Either someone agrees or not, this forum with anonymous names and people that you could't track, it's not the place to express oppinion. However, as a civil citizen and tax payer, I must say that there are accredited sources of information, newspapers, and other forms of expression. If someone needs to write, write it there, with a real name! I could post my real name, but don't see the need. But I agree you, Stop the BS! For real!
keeseville an

Plattsburgh, NY

#12 Jan 19, 2013
friends of Keeseville wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome! I hope people leave the nastiness aside and look at the big picture. Either someone agrees or not, this forum with anonymous names and people that you could't track, it's not the place to express oppinion. However, as a civil citizen and tax payer, I must say that there are accredited sources of information, newspapers, and other forms of expression. If someone needs to write, write it there, with a real name! I could post my real name, but don't see the need. But I agree you, Stop the BS! For real!
so you're saying that it's ok to send all the village residents an anonymous letter through the u.s.p.s. persuading them to vote NO to the dissolution and only signing their name as "Citizens Against Dissolution?" i am not very happy myself about receiving this letter in my mailbox yesterday and as a matter of fact, it makes me want to dissolve the village even more so now.
Stick2gether

Plattsburgh, NY

#13 Jan 19, 2013
Village or no village we all need to work together. If we keep the village I would like to see more workers for the village to have a better up keep. These men working now are just pushed to hard during the winter hours. It is not the money that I'm looking at it is the things that make the town or village better. To be honest I could care less if my taxes went up a $100 a year as long as it was for the good of the community.

Since: Jan 13

Peru, NY

#14 Jan 19, 2013
keeseville an wrote:
<quoted text>
so you're saying that it's ok to send all the village residents an anonymous letter through the u.s.p.s. persuading them to vote NO to the dissolution and only signing their name as "Citizens Against Dissolution?" i am not very happy myself about receiving this letter in my mailbox yesterday and as a matter of fact, it makes me want to dissolve the village even more so now.
I am saying that if there is group supporting the dissolution, it's nothing wrong with having a group against it. If you think it's ok one side to blame the other, than I won't agree with you. BUt if people in this community want to stand one way or the other, it's their right. This is a free country and having letters sent or ads in papers is the same thing. It means they care, no matter where they stand. But for you to say that one way of doing things is wrong, and the other is right, it's not correct in my books. However, the more tension between the two supporting groups, the more truth about what it involves sufaces.People are exposed to a real campaign. Presidents of the country fought publically. Why is it wrong for Keeseville? Personally, I see it as a progress. Isn't it the point of free decision? Everyone could make phone calls on both sides - the viilage office or the Ausable office - and get the facts they want. Moreover, it's no secret at all! That's all I say and all I did. I called and found out why my taxes went up. It's not the Keeseville who gets the money, but ausable. Check it for yourself! And I really appreciate that you kept a decent talk, this time. Otherwise, you will be left alone on this forum!
Life Long Resident

Gloversville, NY

#15 Jan 20, 2013
friends of Keeseville wrote:
<quoted text>
I am saying that if there is group supporting the dissolution, it's nothing wrong with having a group against it. If you think it's ok one side to blame the other, than I won't agree with you. BUt if people in this community want to stand one way or the other, it's their right. This is a free country and having letters sent or ads in papers is the same thing. It means they care, no matter where they stand. But for you to say that one way of doing things is wrong, and the other is right, it's not correct in my books. However, the more tension between the two supporting groups, the more truth about what it involves sufaces.People are exposed to a real campaign. Presidents of the country fought publically. Why is it wrong for Keeseville? Personally, I see it as a progress. Isn't it the point of free decision? Everyone could make phone calls on both sides - the viilage office or the Ausable office - and get the facts they want. Moreover, it's no secret at all! That's all I say and all I did. I called and found out why my taxes went up. It's not the Keeseville who gets the money, but ausable. Check it for yourself! And I really appreciate that you kept a decent talk, this time. Otherwise, you will be left alone on this forum!
You Are Very Correct. The Best Thing To Do Is VOTE. Excercise Your Rights. The Right To Vote. I must say though seeing that sent letter by the post office and the article in the press the wording is identical which leads me to believe the mayor sent the letters. If wrong than why are the quotes IDENTICAL from the press as the letter. DIRTY politics and unfair to the taxpayers and citizens of this Village. Clouds the decision making process on their own. I must ask this question as being a life long resident of this area and have been through upteen different mayors, please tell me what has been done to improve this Village that once was? I must go a bit farther and say the Towns are no better as between the three of them could someone tell me what has been done to improve this area? I am not talking about NOW seeing a few improvements done to downtown with luxury apartments and prospering liquor stores. That is not for the good of the people of this area. That is for the good of the owner's and their pocketbooks or wallets. SO why would they not want to promote downtown. Taxes keep going up and with our without a Village they would anyhow. When we pay our County tax we go to the Town of Ausable anyhow in the Village of Keeseville as well as some Town of Ausable tax added in anyhow. The Town of Ausable has our court system, animal control and code enforcement. We are already paying. In my view why have 2 week entities when we could have one strong entity by the power of the people to vote in and out who will make Keeseville strong once again. Please tell me over the past 50 years what the Village has done to justify all the taxes we pay? If we could then someone combine Ausable with Chesterfield and make the county line on one side or the other would we have even a stronger government. ONE and not TWO or THREE. You Decide.
Life Long Resident

Gloversville, NY

#16 Jan 20, 2013
friends of Keeseville wrote:
So,leaving politics aside, the best thing to do is vote. This is my first time on this website, and seeing different views, makes me wonder why the former mayor supported the dissolution first hand. It should not even be a discussion here! The effects of her move are seen in the last tax bill. Just as some of you, I called and asked why? The explanation was simple: getting rid of some services, and this is not ok! Expect more increase if you vote to dissolve! My view is, look at what happened in Malone and other towns making this decission. Once you make it,you can't take it back!! Just think rationally, that's all I ask! The village is on the right track! let's make it stronger! together!
Please correct me if I am wrong however, is it true that the current Town of Ausable garage vehicles have to drive by each and every resident of the Village of Keeseville to plow roads or mow grass. Does it make any sense less than 1/2 mile away two municipalities plowing, mowing etc ... when one has to drive through the other to get to the other side. How would that NOT save us money. Just put your blade down before you get to the other side. It technically would not be too much more work when the Village is not very big and when you have to not only drive by these residents but rather through to get to the other side. To me, common sense prevails. If a dissolution would have gone through years ago than the Town of Ausable would have save $600,000 and took over the old highschool building and took the liability off the Village hands. Again, common sense years ago. In any business would it be considered downsizing? Did the Village already downsize the services they provided and gave the to the Town that consist of animal control, court system and code enforcement. So what would be left for the Village if the Town is doing most of what the Village is doing. How much money are we seeing as savings by doing this? Our taxes should be cheaper but they are not. No matter what way one sways either way the taxpayer never sees a savings whether consolidating or not. Can the Village say if we didn't dissolve they could save us by consolidating with the Town. NO. Please VOTE. Exercise that right. Do not let politics cloud your true gut, heart and most of all common sense make up your mind.
Meegan

Troy, NY

#17 Jan 20, 2013
StoptheBS wrote:
If you live in the Town of Ausable you might have seen the results of the last great movement to make Village government smaller. A 49 percent increase in taxes for village residents. With one phone call I found out tHat this was due to the past Mayor getting rid of the codes officer, the Village court and the Dog Control officer. I am wondering now if this is the end, or is this the beginning! They haven't taken over all the things the Village does yet like plowing, grass cutting,ect... Someone has to do the work and it is not free! The difference if the Village dissolves is "YOU" will not have much of a say in how your tax dollars are spent. Remember, only 1/2 of the voters will be in each town. The town boards will have the entire town to worry about not just the little hamlet of Keeseville. YOUR vote now will be diluted to the point of not mattering much in the overall scheme of things. The founders of Keeseville had the best interest of the community in mind a hundred years ago and I think it still holds true today, with support of the community Keeseville could move forward to bigger and better things, it just takes a "Community to raise a child".
I would like to point out that this opinion was submitted without attacking anyone personally, using profanity or telling anyone to get out of town.
You are full of sh''. Get you facts straight then. I did not get rid of the dog catcher or court, previous mayor did. Why don't you stop badgering people who are entitled to their opinion. I would like to point out, what a joke you are.
Meegan

Troy, NY

#18 Jan 20, 2013
On the issue of dissolution, it is a vote that the people of Keeseville have wanted for years. It is a democratic process that is the right of village taxpayers. It should be a simple process. Rather you want dissolution or not, you should be entitled to the facts. The sad thing here is that te entire village board has publicaly spoke out against dissolution. Instead of just giving the people they represent the facts, they have chose to support scare tactics. I personally support dissolution for Keeseville only because it is financially and economically the smart thing to do, and for no other reason. It is an opportunity to prosper for Keeseville. Support the towns that you also pay taxes to and it will be a win win situation for the village. Resourses come to municipalities who merge. Why do you think that the state funds the study? The state gave the village the tools to prosper, hopefully village taxpayers sieze the opportunity, because that is what it is and nothing else. I just wish the best for keeseville.
Concerned resident

Gloversville, NY

#19 Jan 21, 2013
Meegan wrote:
On the issue of dissolution, it is a vote that the people of Keeseville have wanted for years. It is a democratic process that is the right of village taxpayers. It should be a simple process. Rather you want dissolution or not, you should be entitled to the facts. The sad thing here is that te entire village board has publicaly spoke out against dissolution. Instead of just giving the people they represent the facts, they have chose to support scare tactics. I personally support dissolution for Keeseville only because it is financially and economically the smart thing to do, and for no other reason. It is an opportunity to prosper for Keeseville. Support the towns that you also pay taxes to and it will be a win win situation for the village. Resourses come to municipalities who merge. Why do you think that the state funds the study? The state gave the village the tools to prosper, hopefully village taxpayers sieze the opportunity, because that is what it is and nothing else. I just wish the best for keeseville.
Hat's off to your Meegan, if the former Mayor. It is not about who is for or who is against, you are so correct. It is about the dirty politics, the scare tactics as well as what is done to promote downtown Keeseville and the old High Schools. Personally, "I Believe" Keeseville is now on the "Right Track" So we are being told because "Down Town" Keeseville is being promoted. In my "Opionion" it seems there is a hidden agenda or benefits of one's owns business. Whey would a Village mayor not want to promote downtown when he is fact owns a liquor store. Common sense. As for the women who is buying up downtown and Keeseville, she does not live in Keeseville therefore does NOT have the right to vote at all. In conclusion the fact is you actually tried to save this Village money. Promoting Keeseville is great however, it does not answer the real questions is. Can dissolving the Village save the taxpayers dollars and do we really need the Village as an extra form of government. The Village has less services that before such as code enforcement officer, court system and animal control yet we do not see a reduction of our taxes. Either way, if the Village stays or goes or if the Town is our new municipality or not. We need a board that will listen to the people's voice and not always go with the mayor. The Town of Chesterfield seems to be like that a bobble heads always agreeing with Morrow. Yet, the industrial park still sits idol. The fact is I do not see one municipality actually working for the good of the people. Not when there is dirty or crooked politics. At least when you were mayor, if indeed Meegan, you thought of the people and greater good of Keeseville though not always listened to the people. At least you were on the right track trying to give the people a say whether for or against the dissolution. Best wishes and you were smart to get out of Keeseville.

Since: Jan 13

Peru, NY

#20 Jan 21, 2013
Concerned resident wrote:
<quoted text>Hat's off to your Meegan, if the former Mayor. It is not about who is for or who is against, you are so correct. It is about the dirty politics, the scare tactics as well as what is done to promote downtown Keeseville and the old High Schools. Personally, "I Believe" Keeseville is now on the "Right Track" So we are being told because "Down Town" Keeseville is being promoted. In my "Opionion" it seems there is a hidden agenda or benefits of one's owns business. Whey would a Village mayor not want to promote downtown when he is fact owns a liquor store. Common sense. As for the women who is buying up downtown and Keeseville, she does not live in Keeseville therefore does NOT have the right to vote at all. In conclusion the fact is you actually tried to save this Village money. Promoting Keeseville is great however, it does not answer the real questions is. Can dissolving the Village save the taxpayers dollars and do we really need the Village as an extra form of government. The Village has less services that before such as code enforcement officer, court system and animal control yet we do not see a reduction of our taxes. Either way, if the Village stays or goes or if the Town is our new municipality or not. We need a board that will listen to the people's voice and not always go with the mayor. The Town of Chesterfield seems to be like that a bobble heads always agreeing with Morrow. Yet, the industrial park still sits idol. The fact is I do not see one municipality actually working for the good of the people. Not when there is dirty or crooked politics. At least when you were mayor, if indeed Meegan, you thought of the people and greater good of Keeseville though not always listened to the people. At least you were on the right track trying to give the people a say whether for or against the dissolution. Best wishes and you were smart to get out of Keeseville.
So, if she got out of the town and she is smart by doing that when she lost the election, why don't you go after her???? Simple like that: if you don't want to be here and work with the rest of the people, then go!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keeseville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) 14 hr Austrian Expat 439
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 20 hr Who are trying to... 6,413
Undercover informant Kenneth Clark Watch out Li... (Oct '13) Sun fagsinkeesville 6
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Aug 29 Lol 16,779
Long time Aug 12 friendly helper 2
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Aug 7 dew4794 673
NY Who do you support for Attorney General in New ... (Oct '10) Aug '14 tbird Cat Controller 756
•••
•••
•••

Keeseville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Keeseville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Keeseville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Keeseville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••