london hospital
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cat

Lexington, KY

#1 Mar 15, 2013
I recently had to get a lumbar puncture. It was dine under xray. Total night mare! Had a spinal headache for 12 days and was told to return for a blood patch. Laid in the er from 10 am until 5 before I was given one. Was not told if the risk of either procedure except for low chance of infection....was not told the procedures were so dangerous. Now I am still not back to normal yet. I am scared and tried calling the Dr. Who did the patch and she has not returned my call. They acted like they did these all the time, I am now wondering.
biffster

Manchester, KY

#2 Mar 15, 2013
That is a common risk probably 10 % and can be persistent. Drink lots of fluid caffeine also may help.
cat

Lexington, KY

#3 Mar 16, 2013
The blood patch was done last week and now I have back pain. I don't want to go back to that hospital because I am afraid something wasn't done right. I don't know if the back ache is common. The Dr. Who did the patch was a anathisiologist.they told me they did the blood patch before, but I am wondering if they told me the truth. I had it done in the recovery room.
call

London, KY

#4 Mar 16, 2013
call an ask a nurse hotline
cat

Lexington, KY

#5 Mar 16, 2013
I tried to call the er and they want transfer calls to the er. I live in Berea and was referred to this place. Now I am at my wits end.
cat

Lexington, KY

#6 Mar 16, 2013
I am afraid to go back to this hospital.
nurse goodbody

Heidrick, KY

#7 Mar 16, 2013
sounds like you need to make another dr. appt and have them look at it no doubt you got one or the dr wouldn't have recommended you a lumbar puncture. so what ya waiting for?
cat

Lexington, KY

#8 Mar 16, 2013
They did the tap because I was having tongue and lip tingling and they thought I might have ms. Some lesions were on my brain. All came back neg. I know I need to go see someone but after laying in the er so long and then when I complained with back pain right after the blood patch they didn't seem to care. I don't know where else to go. They acted like the patch was no big deal, like they did them all the time. Then during the procedure one nurse said We haven't done one of them since last month! I am terrified something has gone wrong.
biffster

Manchester, KY

#9 Mar 16, 2013
Other than the blood patch there is not much to do other than bed rest and fluids. They might try another blood patch but they are hit or miss as far as helping. Post tap headaches will eventually stop once the CSF leak stops. Using the smallest needle for the tap is the best way to avoid this complication but since they did it to collect CSF they may have used a larger needle so the procedure would take less time. I always would use 23 gauge or small.(lower numbers are larger needles 20ga is often used for spinal tap.)

PS Back pain was probably due to the blood which causes irritation like in a bruise.
Pearson

Williamsburg, KY

#10 Mar 16, 2013
cat wrote:
They did the tap because I was having tongue and lip tingling and they thought I might have ms. Some lesions were on my brain. All came back neg. I know I need to go see someone but after laying in the er so long and then when I complained with back pain right after the blood patch they didn't seem to care. I don't know where else to go. They acted like the patch was no big deal, like they did them all the time. Then during the procedure one nurse said We haven't done one of them since last month! I am terrified something has gone wrong.
Go to UK or Baptist. Sounds like London didn't do the epidural right.
cat

Lexington, KY

#11 Mar 16, 2013
Thank you biffster for your reply. I was scared. And have been scared. The lumbar tap was horrible bit the blood patch was worse. Does the blood finally absorb after a blood patch? I think they injected too much.
cat

Lexington, KY

#12 Mar 16, 2013
My headache is gone, just back pain. I what is crazy about the whole thing is I still have no diagnosis why my tongue and lips are tingling and burning. At a loss......
cat

Lexington, KY

#13 Mar 16, 2013
Yes ..nurse I do have a Dr. But he told me this was a no big deal procedure. Now I am scared. Told them last Friday about the back pain and they waited until wed to call me back. I could not get there to see him and am now wondering if it would do any good to see him again or not. I have no answers other than the white matter on my scan.
Always another side

Middlesboro, KY

#14 Mar 17, 2013
Was they a reason you was in the ER so long? The way this is posted is that you was in the ER that long while nothing was done. Also did the DR who did the blood patch not explain in detail the risk of back pain afterwards? Anytime a needle is inserted into the spine there are risks.
cat

Lexington, KY

#15 Mar 17, 2013
Always another side wrote:
Was they a reason you was in the ER so long? The way this is posted is that you was in the ER that long while nothing was done. Also did the DR who did the blood patch not explain in detail the risk of back pain afterwards? Anytime a needle is inserted into the spine there are risks.
I don't know why I was in the er so long. Noone did anything until the anathisiologist came in hours later. The only risk she spoke of was infection..but said that was rare. She never said anything about back pain. When I mentioned the back pain to her she said I should just feel pressure and that was all. They then could not figure out where to put me. The er would not take me back. They finally put me in a room. Saw a nurse an hour later. I was never told the blood patch was considered an operation. Was never told of risk of blood clot or nerve damage. Only found this out from a nurse friend of mine. My back is still sore.
Always another side

Middlesboro, KY

#17 Mar 17, 2013
So you was in the ER from 10 till 5? Received no treatment in all that time then was sent for a blood patch?
cat

Nicholasville, KY

#18 Mar 17, 2013
Always another side wrote:
So you was in the ER from 10 till 5? Received no treatment in all that time then was sent for a blood patch?
they gave me an iv of fluid and pain med around 4.
Pearson

Williamsburg, KY

#19 Mar 17, 2013
Pearson wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to UK or Baptist. Sounds like London didn't do the epidural right.
Sorry, thought you had said 12 hours not 12 days.

Go to UK or Baptist. Sounds like London didn't do the epidural patch when they should have.
cat

Nicholasville, KY

#20 Mar 17, 2013
Pearson wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, thought you had said 12 hours not 12 days.
Go to UK or Baptist. Sounds like London didn't do the epidural patch when they should have.
my headache is gone just back ache and head feels heavy. I just wish I was told of these risk. The Dr. Who did the lumbar puncture really hurt me and had me in tears. Then afterward when I ask him why it hurt he said I might have to get a blood patch!
erica

Richmond, KY

#21 Mar 18, 2013
Maybe you should check back with your doctor. You should not still have back pain or leg pain. Did the Dr. tell you all the risk from this procedure? There are alot because it is invasive, a lumbar puncture should only be done in life or death if you ask me! To risky! And the blood patch is not safe by any means, they might say it is low risk but that means nothing. Good luck sweety!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 13 min want to know 1,223
We're Back In The News ..... Again. 22 min ___Jenny___ 91
Fly the Confederate flag with pride!! 1 hr iThink 29
Who rides horses in devils creek? 1 hr Hmmm 2
Found small black dog 3 hr josephlee 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr So true 142,293
If you need a suit, forget London 4 hr Secretary 20
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keavy Mortgages