Should hourly minimum wage be $22?

Posted in the Keavy Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
UnderPaid

Hopkinsville, KY

#1 Mar 18, 2013
http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx...

"Warren was talking to Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who has studied the issue of minimum wage. "With a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75?" she asked Dube. "It sure didn't go to the worker."

The $22 minimum wage Warren referred to came from a 2012 study from the Center for Economic and Policy Research. It said that the minimum wage would have hit $21.72 an hour last year if it had been tied to the increases seen in worker productivity since 1968. Even if the minimum wage got only one-fourth the pickup as the rate of productivity, it would now be $12.25 an hour instead of $7.25."

Low unfair pay is why we have food stamp/medicaid use overload. People do work and they make billions for the CEO's and stock holders but they get chicken feed for pay!

Since: Sep 10

Prevost USA

#2 Mar 18, 2013
You would have higher teenage unemployment,Plus prices would skyrocket and then they would cry for 35 PHMW.
SpeakUp

Harwood Heights, IL

#3 Mar 18, 2013
The Real Just Me wrote:
You would have higher teenage unemployment,Plus prices would skyrocket and then they would cry for 35 PHMW.
I disagree in part with what you're stating and here's why.

Firstly, teenagers are important, however, can't be of primary seniority in this issue since it is the parents that are the typical supporters of the family.

There would be NO reason for prices to skyrocket. There would be a reason an executive could reduce his/her salary from $15M/yr. to maybe $10-$14M? Wages are always tied to prices in the media for protection of the millionaires and billionaires. When you ever hear of giving an employee a $1 raise creates poverty for an executive, please, put it in the Hall of Fame.

Why is it there are actually idiotic people who go against a working person. A working man or woman desserves a decent day's pay for a decent day's work. Wages have NOT seen any REAL increase since 1970 or so. THAT is fact. If anything, they are going backwards and big corporate America plans on keeping it that way.

This is NOT a real and true argument about wage increases costing us more on the consumer end because point blank, it doesn't have to. Idiotic argument is that the $15M executive simply HAS to increase a consumer price because that $15M executive just can't for the life of him or her give up that $300 bottle of wine while fact is, giving raises don't even force them to give up that $300 bottle of wine. It's no different than my telling you that 10% means a Hell of alot more to a $30,000/yr. person than 10% does to a $15M dollar executive. It's what they have left that's the real issue. You'd be taking candy from a baby's mouth taking 10% from $30,000. You only be taking the repair bill from one Infinity from the $15M executive.

Where are your brains located? Were you breach birthed? Stop defending the ultra wealthy while ridiculing hard working people and maybe get your crowbar out and help the Hiltons of this land get the taffy out of their pockets.

Oh, and you may be welcoming Hillary 2016. Now won't that be a cryin' shame?
HelpMe Gov

London, KY

#4 Mar 19, 2013
UnderPaid wrote:
http://money.msn.com/now/post. aspx?post=d3cdeeaa-9f8a-45d3-a b2b-45dcb1a80091
"Warren was talking to Arindrajit Dube, a University of Massachusetts Amherst professor who has studied the issue of minimum wage. "With a minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, what happened to the other $14.75?" she asked Dube. "It sure didn't go to the worker."
The $22 minimum wage Warren referred to came from a 2012 study from the Center for Economic and Policy Research. It said that the minimum wage would have hit $21.72 an hour last year if it had been tied to the increases seen in worker productivity since 1968. Even if the minimum wage got only one-fourth the pickup as the rate of productivity, it would now be $12.25 an hour instead of $7.25."
Low unfair pay is why we have food stamp/medicaid use overload. People do work and they make billions for the CEO's and stock holders but they get chicken feed for pay!
Keep on believing that BS.

Welfare is nothing more than a bribe to the lazy, shiftless and temporarily out of work not to revolt.

Now take your pittance and get your ass back in line.
Business man

Middlesboro, KY

#5 Mar 19, 2013
Raising the minimum wage will not help the workforce. As a business owner , I must create a profit for my business, or close the doors. I'm not rich by any means , but I work hard to provide for my family to give them a comfortable life. When I am forced to raise wages, I simply pass the expense on to the consumer by raising prices. It's simple mathematics. I have stepped up to the plate, but 200,000 of my hard earned money into my business, and I should not be penalized by a mandatory minimum wage increase. The more the minimum wage increases , the more expensive daily living will become.
Seriously

Mount Vernon, KY

#6 Mar 19, 2013
Business man wrote:
Raising the minimum wage will not help the workforce. As a business owner , I must create a profit for my business, or close the doors. I'm not rich by any means , but I work hard to provide for my family to give them a comfortable life. When I am forced to raise wages, I simply pass the expense on to the consumer by raising prices. It's simple mathematics. I have stepped up to the plate, but 200,000 of my hard earned money into my business, and I should not be penalized by a mandatory minimum wage increase. The more the minimum wage increases , the more expensive daily living will become.
Well said and those people that believe by raising minimum wage will make their life easier are crazy. The cost of living will increase twice as much as their salary and therefore will not notice the increase. The business owners will have to compensate somewhere to pay for these salaries and were do people think that increase will come from. A gallon of milk will now cost eight dollars and bread will be five dollars a loaf. I have been a business owner and by all means owning your own business doesnt mean you are rich and alot of months there is no profit. Raisng minimum wage will create more problems than it will be worth. Small business owners will not be able to pay these wages and will close the doors.
bumbling bumble bee

United States

#7 Mar 19, 2013
Minimum wage is not a livable wage. That is why we have public assistance. Place a cap on the income of the CEO's. Reinvest it in the lower wage earner. Close all tax loopholes. Reinvest in the American worker.
Plain Truth

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Mar 19, 2013
"Should hourly minimum wage be $22?"
Obama would never let that happen.
He is too busy destroying America economy for the sake of non-America and the welfare people who wont work.
He has to rob us to give to them, because he has to keep the bribe going for the sin of their fall.
But when he gets a democrat king in with one world government, he will tell you all to go to he11. He wont need any of you any longer.
Ralph

London, KY

#10 Mar 19, 2013
What if it went down a buck fifty? Prices would adjust accordingly.
pork chops

Murray, KY

#11 Mar 19, 2013
Plain Truth wrote:
"Should hourly minimum wage be $22?"
Obama would never let that happen.
He is too busy destroying America economy for the sake of non-America and the welfare people who wont work.
He has to rob us to give to them, because he has to keep the bribe going for the sin of their fall.
But when he gets a democrat king in with one world government, he will tell you all to go to he11. He wont need any of you any longer.
Damn knuckle dragger. I bet you are a mouth breather also. What a brainy ack.
Really

Williamsburg, KY

#12 Mar 19, 2013
Business man wrote:
Raising the minimum wage will not help the workforce. As a business owner , I must create a profit for my business, or close the doors. I'm not rich by any means , but I work hard to provide for my family to give them a comfortable life. When I am forced to raise wages, I simply pass the expense on to the consumer by raising prices. It's simple mathematics. I have stepped up to the plate, but 200,000 of my hard earned money into my business, and I should not be penalized by a mandatory minimum wage increase. The more the minimum wage increases , the more expensive daily living will become.
That wasn't the point of the study. The point was to raise the question of how our society would now differ had the minimum wage been keyed to average worker productivity since 1968.
LOL

Somerset, KY

#13 Mar 19, 2013
If some economist said the minimum wage should be $22/hour because of increased productivity, they should realize that didn't come from minimum wage workers. Give the raise to the computers. That's the cause of the increased productivity and the only reason the world's workforce supply has exceeded its demand. So, the computer age is a double edge sword.
nah

Chicago, IL

#14 Mar 19, 2013
Lets just raise to $100 per hour and we can all feel big.
Only problem is a loaf of bread will cost you $500 at that point..
Mark Winshel

Concord, CA

#15 Mar 20, 2013
nah wrote:
Lets just raise to $100 per hour and we can all feel big.
Only problem is a loaf of bread will cost you $500 at that point..
There is a fair amount of truth in this comment by "Nah." While I do not think raising the minumum wage to $100 per hour would cause the price of a loaf of bread to increase to $500, and altho he was most likely using hyperbole, however it would cause most common items, and such as a loaf of bread, to go up drastically in price.

And of course even raising the minimum wage to "only" $15 per hour would also a large increase in the unemployment rate. Since there is a lot of truth in the adage that wages go up but payrolls don't, and meaning that if for example wages increase by twenty percent the employer will probably find a way to get by with ten to twenty percent less employees and/or have a layoff.

To give just one example, I at one time worked for a certain corporation in which one of the unions negotiated a wage increase of approx ten percent for the employees in a particular department, so almost as soon as the new contract went into efect that corporation laid off ten pereent of the employees in the department under that new wage

Or just look at the US auto industry. In other words as the unions negotiated higher and higher wage rates, they caused GM, Ford, and Chrysler to figure out ways to get by with lees and less manpower, and now as a result Detroit has been turned into a ghost town.
Historian

Hopkinsville, KY

#16 Mar 20, 2013
If the minimum wage had gone up in proportion to the increase in corporate executives' salaries it would be a lot higher than $22 an hour. It would be somewhere around $100. If it had gone up in proportion to the $100 million bonus paid to Wall Street executive Andrew Hall vs the salary of the President of the Illinois Central RR compared to the minumum wage in 1950, minimum wage would now be $4,464 per hour.
HelpMe Gov

Hazard, KY

#17 Mar 20, 2013
Historian wrote:
If the minimum wage had gone up in proportion to the increase in corporate executives' salaries it would be a lot higher than $22 an hour. It would be somewhere around $100. If it had gone up in proportion to the $100 million bonus paid to Wall Street executive Andrew Hall vs the salary of the President of the Illinois Central RR compared to the minumum wage in 1950, minimum wage would now be $4,464 per hour.
IF democrats had jobs they would be republicans. 47%.
well

Annville, KY

#18 Mar 20, 2013
That is why we need a price freeze on many things. Gas, and groceries would be a good start. Min. wage does need to go up, and so does Social Sec. income. Compared to how much prices have went up, min. wage is not worth much. I heard an old woman saying she could not get nobody to come clean her house for $6 and hour cash. Well, that is because to clean a persons house would only be a 3 hour job, and probably only 2 days a week. That's maybe $36 a week, 30 bucks is not worth the time, gas, or trouble. 30 bucks don't buy nothing anymore! So lets do the math.$36 to go clean a house 2 times a week, take out at least $10 of that just for the gas to get there, and you better live close! So that maybe leaves $26? Try getting any groceries anymore with a 20 dollar bill!
bumbling bumble bee

United States

#19 Mar 20, 2013
HelpMe Gov wrote:
<quoted text>
IF democrats had jobs they would be republicans. 47%.
If conservatives had any intelligence they would be liberals.
SpeakUp

Harwood Heights, IL

#20 Mar 20, 2013
Business man wrote:
Raising the minimum wage will not help the workforce. As a business owner , I must create a profit for my business, or close the doors. I'm not rich by any means , but I work hard to provide for my family to give them a comfortable life. When I am forced to raise wages, I simply pass the expense on to the consumer by raising prices. It's simple mathematics. I have stepped up to the plate, but 200,000 of my hard earned money into my business, and I should not be penalized by a mandatory minimum wage increase. The more the minimum wage increases , the more expensive daily living will become.
Was it really your money, or, borrowed funds? You obviously took the risk, but that's a personal choice. Just because you're the business owner doesn't automatically give the right for you to live "comfortably" while others go hungry. Some might call that selfish and ungodly? Truly, it is simple mathematics. Trust me when I tell you, I get sick of the $300,000 plus saying it causes them a hardship to give someone a 25 cents raise. No it doesn't. That's all a complete farce. I get even sicker when I hear it from a Romney crowd. You pass it to the consumer because that is also your choice. You choose to eat Lobster at today's market price vs tips of beef. Daily living, last I checked, has become more and more expensive while simultaneously the working man hasn't seen a REAL wage increase since the 1970's. Now wonder what in the world caused that? It wasn't wages....was it? Go cry on someone's shoulder that will fall for the line. It just doesn't happen to be me. If wages hurt consumers, is it possible that situation of 71% of the nation's wealth being in the hands of the top 10% is just a.....number? There's your clue businessman!
SpeakUp

Harwood Heights, IL

#21 Mar 20, 2013
HelpMe Gov wrote:
<quoted text>
IF democrats had jobs they would be republicans. 47%.
If Republicans didn't scr-w up everything they touched, the nation wouldn't be in such inequality status.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 5 min ChromiuMan 137,694
Biggest Rats in Corbin Jeff Robbins Aka Bones 10 min shucks 2
Crooked Creek Golf Course (for a wedding location) (Jan '09) 18 min nbennett 9
Sasquatch 1 hr shucks 4
is the law about drop outs going back if under ... 2 hr LiberTEA 3
obama was behind benghazi 3 hr Shannon 5
hillary 95 mph excape 3 hr Shannon 9
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]