Are London Police allowed to make traffic stops on 25E in Corbin?

Posted in the Keavy Forum

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Mar 20, 2013
curious

Corbin, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

A few weeks ago a London Police Officer was in the median on 25-E in Corbin right in front of Lowes, and pulled me over for speeding. My question is do they have the jurisdiction to do this? Technically that area is North Corbin.
clay

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
A few weeks ago a London Police Officer was in the median on 25-E in Corbin right in front of Lowes, and pulled me over for speeding. My question is do they have the jurisdiction to do this? Technically that area is North Corbin.
No,they legally can't.neither can corbin city police follow you into laurel county and pretend they was in hot purcuit when they pull you over 5 miles into the county,but they do,and my guess is,if you aren't rich enough to hire a real good lawyer you are stuck.They laugh about them not having to obey the law,it is funny to them.
ruth

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

yes it is considered north corbin but it is laurel county so yes he can
Jesus

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2013

Judged:

Laurel county cops can, London City police cannot.
Hugo

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Local police have county wide jurisdiction because the city is in that county. Corbin PD has jurisdiction in Whitley and Knox, but not Laurel. State law forbids a city to annex into three counties, tax reasons I guess. But if the officer observes you break the law in his jurisdiction he can pursue you state wide if necessary. It's called uniform fresh pursuit or "hot pursuit". He can't arrest you if he is out of his jurisdiction like being off duty, unless you are committing a felony. Every citizen has the right to make a citizens arrest, but be careful. If you are wrong you can be arrested yourself or sued by the alleged offender. It's best to call the cops unless someone is in imminent danger of being hurt or killed. Crazy laws but that's the way it is.
Hmmm

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Hugo wrote:
Local police have county wide jurisdiction because the city is in that county. Corbin PD has jurisdiction in Whitley and Knox, but not Laurel. State law forbids a city to annex into three counties, tax reasons I guess. But if the officer observes you break the law in his jurisdiction he can pursue you state wide if necessary. It's called uniform fresh pursuit or "hot pursuit". He can't arrest you if he is out of his jurisdiction like being off duty, unless you are committing a felony. Every citizen has the right to make a citizens arrest, but be careful. If you are wrong you can be arrested yourself or sued by the alleged offender. It's best to call the cops unless someone is in imminent danger of being hurt or killed. Crazy laws but that's the way it is.
You are correct.
Seen Them

Middlesboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

For the past couple weeks I have seen Laurel County Deputys setting in the median,not London City Police..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Keavy Discussions

Search the Keavy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Khatru 128,937
Stop Odumba WAR ON COAL 6 min MrsGladToBeMe 253
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min reality 146,895
Open House For Laurel Co Schools 22 min Pam 1
male for male hookups (Apr '12) 37 min imyours 2
Riley is Right for Mayor in London 41 min Come On 9
Service at Pilot 1 hr larry 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••