told you so

United States

#43 Sep 19, 2013
why is it that drunks get on here and never compare all the money bar bring in. London bring in 4 times what Corbin bring in. So London is bring in money from being moist but the drunks NEVER what to count that money. I see the city is lowering tax. Corbin built a few sidewalk with their tax but want to raise taxes. If you go to topix Somerset you will find post about how much the city and county is broke and going to raise taxes. London will have got over 2000 jobs this year. Corbin 35 job at the 3 beer store. Tell us how many jobs are Somerset getting? The drunk got on here after the election and said London would not get any job. They were wrong as always.
told you so

United States

#44 Sep 19, 2013
Still House wrote:
<quoted text>
You are not getting my point.
Once Established Chain Liquor Stores will squeeze out Mom and Pop Operations. Chain Liquor Stores Serve a Region not just a county or city. Corbin and Somerset have the advantage. Chain Stores have already been established and have a client base.
It is not Likely a chain store would establish another store only 16 miles away.
Mom and Pop operations will be squeezed out.
the only way Corbin or Somerset will get more stores is if their population increase or the state change the law on how many stores are allow. There is no such thing as a mom and pop store. Your still a fool. If Burnside goes wet then somerset will get far less money.

Only a fool would think if corbin had 9 stores and somerset 15 store they would triple the tax brought in. With in a year a number of them be out of business.
grow up

Winchester, KY

#45 Sep 19, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
But that's the point. London currently has "drunks staggering out of bars".
London has all the ills associated with alcohol already, with few of the benefits.
Why have bars legal, but package sales not? It's insanity.
The ills outweigh the benefits. Why don't you just move to Somerset and deposit your money in their package sell stores.
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#46 Sep 19, 2013
grow up wrote:
<quoted text>
The ills outweigh the benefits. Why don't you just move to Somerset and deposit your money in their package sell stores.
I live in Somerset!

=D
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#47 Sep 19, 2013
told you so wrote:
why is it that drunks get on here and never compare all the money bar bring in. London bring in 4 times what Corbin bring in. So London is bring in money from being moist but the drunks NEVER what to count that money. I see the city is lowering tax. Corbin built a few sidewalk with their tax but want to raise taxes. If you go to topix Somerset you will find post about how much the city and county is broke and going to raise taxes. London will have got over 2000 jobs this year. Corbin 35 job at the 3 beer store. Tell us how many jobs are Somerset getting? The drunk got on here after the election and said London would not get any job. They were wrong as always.
But that's just false. According to London's official budget...
http://cityoflondonky.org/news/...
...the city will collect $85,000 in alcohol fees. Meanwhile, after 1 year of package sales, Corbin collected $721,000. That is over 8x the amount of London!

Oh, that's rich. Somerset Topix said that city is broke?

LOL
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#48 Sep 19, 2013
told you so wrote:
why is it that drunks get on here...
Why is it all the "drunks" on here can spell correctly and make coherent, cohesive statements backed up with sources yet most teetotalers butcher English and make outrageous claims without any backing whatsoever?

How far did you get in school?
you lied

United States

#49 Sep 19, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
But that's just false. According to London's official budget...
http://cityoflondonky.org/news/...
...the city will collect $85,000 in alcohol fees. Meanwhile, after 1 year of package sales, Corbin collected $721,000. That is over 8x the amount of London!
Oh, that's rich. Somerset Topix said that city is broke?
LOL
How far did you go in school? Since you cannot read. I said compare the 85,000 to what the bar in corbin bring in. not what the package stores sold.
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#50 Sep 19, 2013
you lied wrote:
<quoted text>How far did you go in school? Since you cannot read. I said compare the 85,000 to what the bar in corbin bring in. not what the package stores sold.
That's not what you said, but whatever.

Corbin's city budget allots $100K for by-the-drink sales,$15K more than London. So your claim that "London makes 4x as much" is as wrong as wrong can be.

You don't even look these things up before you type, do you? You have absolutely no grasp of the subject or the numbers involved, you just spout claims without any knowledge whatsoever.

http://thetimestribune.com/local/x596952859/T...
actually thinking

Somerset, KY

#51 Sep 19, 2013
qwerty wrote:
will it ever be possible for this town to realize how much money they loose to corbin in alcohol sales, and begin selling it here?
it will be a couple of years before they are able to have the vote again. by that time somerset and corbin will have shown them they were idiots for not going wet this past vote
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#52 Sep 20, 2013
actually thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
it will be a couple of years before they are able to have the vote again. by that time somerset and corbin will have shown them they were idiots for not going wet this past vote
Somerset and Corbin have already shown that. It was widely heralded when Corbin announced their one year take on alcohol revenue. Just this past week was Somerset's. A big article in the paper reporting all the economic stimulus legalized package sales has created. An interview with the police chief, who said that alcohol has not adversely affected the community at all.

Somerset has grown so much since the alcohol vote it's amazing. According to the police chief, prior to the alcohol vote Somerset had around 25 miles of roads. After all the annexation that took place(from people wanting to be able to sell alcohol), Somerset now covers 75 miles of highway. Triple what it was before!

The police chief said there really hasn't been an increase in alcohol-related DUIs, even with increased patrols and several roadblocks. More than half of all DUIs that Somerset police handle are for prescription pills, not alcohol, according to the police chief.

With the lake back up all the Ohio navy is returning. Were they shocked and elated when they discovered they could buy beer locally or come in to Somerset to eat out! Alcohol attributed $12 million to our local economy over the past year; I bet next year we hit $20 million!

But wait, wait, London made $85,000 off their bars. That's good enough. Everyone's forced to drive home drunk and not allowed to enjoy adult beverages at home, while local merchants lose business to surrounding counties, but that's okay. At least the local churches can feel good about themselves and enjoy a false sense of security.

Crime stats aren't up-to-date to include this past year yet, but I can't wait to compare burglary, robbery, DUIs, homicide rates between Somerset and London.

Who wants to bet right now which town is truly safer?
imagine

Winchester, KY

#53 Sep 20, 2013
If making alcohol sales legal has made Somerset so much safer, imagine how fewer dui's somerset would have if they would just make the sale of drugs legal.
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#54 Sep 20, 2013
imagine wrote:
If making alcohol sales legal has made Somerset so much safer, imagine how fewer dui's somerset would have if they would just make the sale of drugs legal.
It is like a combination of a strawman and a slippery slope fallacy. Comparing a legal beverage to an illegal narcotic doesn't fly.

You're the only one who said anything about alcohol sales making it safer or not. My contention is that alcohol sales have absolutely no effect on the safety of a community.

That is, unless the only alcohol sales allowed are in a bar setting. Forcing people to drive to a bar to drink and then drive home is inherently unsafe and the stupidest way of allowing alcohol sales.
london pasture

Somerset, KY

#55 Sep 20, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
It is like a combination of a strawman and a slippery slope fallacy. Comparing a legal beverage to an illegal narcotic doesn't fly.
You're the only one who said anything about alcohol sales making it safer or not. My contention is that alcohol sales have absolutely no effect on the safety of a community.
That is, unless the only alcohol sales allowed are in a bar setting. Forcing people to drive to a bar to drink and then drive home is inherently unsafe and the stupidest way of allowing alcohol sales.
More revenue in making a community legal to sell alcohol is not the issue. The issue is one of morality. Do you want your children and grandchildren to pass a bar or liquor store on the way to and from school and other activities. Think about this.
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#56 Sep 20, 2013
london pasture wrote:
<quoted text>More revenue in making a community legal to sell alcohol is not the issue. The issue is one of morality. Do you want your children and grandchildren to pass a bar or liquor store on the way to and from school and other activities. Think about this.
I don't mind one bit if children see alcohol. They already do, everyday on television and in local restaurants. Don't forget when we take them to Lexington. Also, you know every school bus on 80 passes right by a couple bars called El Azteca and Shiloh's, right?

Trying to hide alcohol from children is silly. They know it's there. I'd hate to have grown up so sheltered; it damages a child.
LOL

Brownsville, TN

#57 Sep 20, 2013
morality
mo·ral·i·ty
m&#601;&#712;ral&# 601;t&#275;,mô-/
noun
noun: morality

1.
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.

**********

Consumption of alcohol is not wrong, nor is it bad behavior.
Randy

London, KY

#58 Sep 20, 2013
LOL wrote:
morality
mo·ral·i·ty
m&#601;&#712;ral&# 601;t&#275;,mô-/
noun
noun: morality
1.
principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
**********
Consumption of alcohol is not wrong, nor is it bad behavior.
Just one "drunks" opinion.
Opie

London, KY

#59 Sep 20, 2013
Why is it that Somerset and Corbin are so concerned about London's alcohol sales ? If I lived in Somerset or Corbin I wouldn't want London to go wet, it would just take away from my city's tax base.
shirtskirt

Somerset, KY

#60 Sep 20, 2013
I don't know why people talks about Christians being against London being wet because most of the church goers I know drink too... so whats people mean by saying that
pippa

London, KY

#64 Sep 20, 2013
Yea lets give those towns our money, we just raise taxes. And let religion run our county why not we don't need the stinking money we need more drugs here in laurel county and another church on the corner . And the teachers crying that they haven't had a raise sense 2005 we don't need the stinking money.
actually thinking

Somerset, KY

#65 Sep 20, 2013
london pasture wrote:
<quoted text>More revenue in making a community legal to sell alcohol is not the issue. The issue is one of morality. Do you want your children and grandchildren to pass a bar or liquor store on the way to and from school and other activities. Think about this.
first of all you're either trolling or an idiot [unless you meant to spell it like that as in "this pasture is so full of crap."] and how many methlabs and bootleggers that sell to underaged kids do they pass by now? didnt hear any of you say one word about shutting any of them down the sunday after the wet vote?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 42 min HistoricallySpeaking 131,905
best place for short trendy haircut 1 hr angel hair 7
Above the law 2 hr Busch 3
Murder Investigation in McCreary County 3 hr tom 1
Christmas lights on Main St. 4 hr omnipotent observer 12
my aunt Melanie Collier smells like her dogs sh... 6 hr little me 1
crossroad treatment center (Jun '09) 8 hr try 12
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Keavy News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Keavy

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:09 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 2:09PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night