How can people be so STUPID to come in a resturant and not leave a TIP !!

Posted in the Keavy Forum

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of144
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Critical Thinking

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

what Law School wrote:
<quoted text>
You bring up a valid point are the Basketball tickets taxable on the part of the Waitress. If Tax was assessed at the time of the sale to the person who bought the tickets and who left them as a tip then No the waitress would not be liable for tax on the basketball tickets since tax was assessed at the time of sale.
The same goes for any other item left as a tip which is essentially a gift. If a person left a tip in the form of a clothing article or an article of jewlry for example Taxes are assessed at the time of sale of those articles and the Waiter or Waitress would not be liable for tax. The sticking point is Cash left as a tip then as crazy as it may sound the waiter or waitress is then responsible for tax on any cash left as a tip.
You're talking about sales tax. But if I gave cash for the tickets $90 then tax was assessed when I earned the income. So, if I give $90 tax has been assessed. If it's a true gift tax cannot be assessed. Therefore, it is compensation in accordance with the IRC and not a gift. Now, what about the tickets?
Critical Thinking

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Think of it this way. I am allowed by law to give as many people I want $13,000 without tax consequences. So, if I tell a server "this is not a tip but merely a gift from me to you" then it is not taxable, but if I leave it on the table or on a credit card then it's compensation. Do you see a paradox because there is one? Any tip is considered to be compensation.

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

The 'Shwa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

"How can people be so STUPID to come in a resturant and not leave a TIP !!"

How can someone feel SO entitled that they think they should get extra merely for doing their job?!

Now, I've got NO problem tipping when the server is doing more than I can get at any other restaurant on the planet. Hell, I've left tips that were as much as 150% of the bill because the server was professional as all get out, and even a little amusing/entertaining. I've also left nothing for service that was terrible. However, I think that if you're going to leave nothing as a tip, you should at least have the guts to tell your server why.
What I truly begrudge is poser restaurants like Applebees printing an 18% tip slot right on the bill.
If the owners think the servers deserve 18%, then THEY can give them an 18% raise. It's not my job to help subsidize a small business, or a large franchise.
what Law School

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Critical Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
You're talking about sales tax. But if I gave cash for the tickets $90 then tax was assessed when I earned the income. So, if I give $90 tax has been assessed. If it's a true gift tax cannot be assessed. Therefore, it is compensation in accordance with the IRC and not a gift. Now, what about the tickets?
the thing here is the tickets are an object where sales tax has been paid it cannot be declared as income and not compensation when given as at tip under the rules of the IRS. It would be the same if the object was a pair of $90 Gloves or a piece of $90 jewlry.
what Law School

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Critical Thinking wrote:
Think of it this way. I am allowed by law to give as many people I want $13,000 without tax consequences. So, if I tell a server "this is not a tip but merely a gift from me to you" then it is not taxable, but if I leave it on the table or on a credit card then it's compensation. Do you see a paradox because there is one? Any tip is considered to be compensation.
You hit the nail right on the head.
Same situation as giving Basket Ball Tickets to someone or even leaving the Tickets on the table for the waiter or Waitress. The tickets are a gift. Now if the person chooses not to go to the ball game or even gives the tickets to someone elese it is not compensation. It falls under the catagory of a Gift.
Witness

Erlanger, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2013

Judged:

A few days ago, I picked up my newspaper and went out to breakfast. Sitting in a booth in front of me were three small children and two adult women. The waitress was very attentive, checking to make sure all was okay, refilling kids drinks and adult coffee cups. After they left, the waitress spent what was an extra amount of time cleaning the booth, sweeping the floor, picking up whole pieces if toast , etc. I remarked that a mess like that deserved a great tip only to find out they didn't leave her a nickel. My meal was $6.00 and I left her a $5.00 tip. I hope she dodges that group if they are seated in her section again. People are nuts!!
Critical Thinking

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

what Law School wrote:
<quoted text>the thing here is the tickets are an object where sales tax has been paid it cannot be declared as income and not compensation when given as at tip under the rules of the IRS. It would be the same if the object was a pair of $90 Gloves or a piece of $90 jewlry.
I think we've established that under the IRC a tip is not a gift. Now let's say an attorney performs services for somebody with no money but takes a vehicle in exchange. Sales tax has been paid on that so what you're saying the FMV of that vehicle is not taxable compensation to the attorney?
what Law School

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Critical Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we've established that under the IRC a tip is not a gift. Now let's say an attorney performs services for somebody with no money but takes a vehicle in exchange. Sales tax has been paid on that so what you're saying the FMV of that vehicle is not taxable compensation to the attorney?
Attorneys do do Pro Bono work. Your anology of a vehicle versus a couple of Basket Ball Tickets is like comparing apples to oranges.
Their have been cases where attorneys have recieved Multi Million Dollar Homes for payment of services rendered for legal services. An like many buisnessmen considering the condition of a House or even a vehicle depreciated value is always considered as well as any other tax deductions which incur. Especially once an item recieved for payment is sold. Your analogy is based on giving a vehicle for payment of serices not as a tip or gift. Totally different situation. If you give your daughter or son a car must they report it as income?
Bruce

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Do you tip your physician, dentist, plumber or lawyer?

In Obama's America the waitress should make the same as your doctor. It will truly be paradise. Waitresses will line up to get into medical school. They can work long hours and study even longer to make the same salary, yes we can.

The kid at WalMart that couldn't remember righty tighty, lefty loosey, will be able to operate on your corneas. Yes we can.

Bruce.
Critical Thinking

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

what Law School wrote:
<quoted text>
Attorneys do do Pro Bono work. Your anology of a vehicle versus a couple of Basket Ball Tickets is like comparing apples to oranges.
Their have been cases where attorneys have recieved Multi Million Dollar Homes for payment of services rendered for legal services. An like many buisnessmen considering the condition of a House or even a vehicle depreciated value is always considered as well as any other tax deductions which incur. Especially once an item recieved for payment is sold. Your analogy is based on giving a vehicle for payment of serices not as a tip or gift. Totally different situation. If you give your daughter or son a car must they report it as income?
No, they don't.

Tips are compensation pure and simple and are not gifts. What if you gave a server a car for a tip, but called it a gift? Think the IRS would buy that? Value does not matter in accordance to the law. If the server takes the tip, the FMV is taxable. The server has the right to refuse the tip.
Bruce

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Critical Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they don't.
Tips are compensation pure and simple and are not gifts. What if you gave a server a car for a tip, but called it a gift? Think the IRS would buy that? Value does not matter in accordance to the law. If the server takes the tip, the FMV is taxable. The server has the right to refuse the tip.
Tips are foolish and come from the showmanship of those in high society. The tip is in reference to placing a coin in a servants hand and only appearing to touch the servants hand with the tip of their gloved finger. Placing the tip where you only touched the coin and not the servant's hand.

Another stupid tradition of royalty and capitalism.

Bruce.
Critical Thinking

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

The tradition, at least in the U.S. did not come from royalty. Many years ago restaurants prepared food and some had tables. Servers did not work for restaurants, they were simply opportunists. Some tired traveler would order dinner, and an opportunist, usually a kid, would bring the food and get a small tip.

I think tips are an outdated tradition. I say pay people as employees whatever the market will bear and price the food accordingly.

But you'll never get a server to agree to that even though they complain about the current system.
Bruce

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Witness wrote:
A few days ago, I picked up my newspaper and went out to breakfast. Sitting in a booth in front of me were three small children and two adult women. The waitress was very attentive, checking to make sure all was okay, refilling kids drinks and adult coffee cups. After they left, the waitress spent what was an extra amount of time cleaning the booth, sweeping the floor, picking up whole pieces if toast , etc. I remarked that a mess like that deserved a great tip only to find out they didn't leave her a nickel. My meal was $6.00 and I left her a $5.00 tip. I hope she dodges that group if they are seated in her section again. People are nuts!!
Please list the duties she was assigned when applying for the job.

Bruce.
Bruce

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

When I need a new employee I advertise, ask around and resort to an agency as a last resort.

When I go into a restaurant I only want to sit in a clean place and eat the properly prepared food I ordered.

If you have an issue with you wages? Take it up with the one that hired you. Not me. I just came to eat.

Bruce.
WTF ever

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

When I eat at a restaurant, I always tip my waitress/waiter. I think it's just the right thing to do. If they give you good service, and your food and expierience there is good, why not give them something a little extra. They don't make any money on an hourly basis, their tips are all they have.
fort lauderdale

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

WTF ever wrote:
When I eat at a restaurant, I always tip my waitress/waiter. I think it's just the right thing to do. If they give you good service, and your food and expierience there is good, why not give them something a little extra. They don't make any money on an hourly basis, their tips are all they have.
Tips are not all they have. They could have a better job if they wanted it. Most waitresses are on government assistance and a better job would mean the end of that free ride. I go to a restaurant to eat, not hand out tips to people too lazy to better themselves.
Ghostrider

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

I think you're right but as far as they are concerned they did better themselves. Making $15/hour with tips, reporting about half, getting government assistance and a big EIC about now. What's better than that?
earn it

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Judged:

Having been a server, tips are important to their income. I always tip for even just adequate service- much more for GOOD service. The other morning husband and I ate breakfast at Huddle House. It was some of the worst service received lately. The place wasn't even that busy. Needless to say there was no tip left. AND more than likely we were cussed after we left for that. The attitude of 'It's part of the cost of the meal' is what costs most servers a decent gratiuity!
Doc

Wheelwright, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

If you eat at a sit down restaurant using waiter and waitresses, please tip these people serving you. 10, 15, or even 20 percent will do. Put yourself in their shoes, if you didn;t make minimum wage per hour, you'd hope people would be kind and appreciate the job you did in serving them and tip you something. It one of the hardest job out there for wht you get paid. Be a little more compassionate people or don't eat in these type restaurants, go fast food.
Doc

Wheelwright, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Ghostrider wrote:
I think you're right but as far as they are concerned they did better themselves. Making $15/hour with tips, reporting about half, getting government assistance and a big EIC about now. What's better than that?
15 an hour? You're undecuated and stupid. No one serving in a restaurant makes 15 an hour. they don;t even make minimum wage and rely on those tips.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of144
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Keavy Discussions

Search the Keavy Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Stop Odumba WAR ON COAL 8 min Blue Jim 53
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min SNYB 128,563
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Cornelius Scudmister 146,101
charles ray hubbard 35 min You are dumb 5
Illegal immagrants 1 hr Curmudgeon 190
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 1 hr Breaking Headline News 644
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr but now 81,566
•••
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••