Hello

Somerset, KY

#55 Feb 15, 2013
i guess wrote:
<quoted text>and some of you are a danged bunch of liars.
its against the law to pay under minimum wage.
ask the labor board. you can google them on your search engine, and when the web site comes up its got a 800 number on it.
whatever a tipper gives you, the owner takes it off his hourly.
so a tipper is paying part of the wage. he is not getting extra. i know.
Well I guess you can tell my daughter and most of these other servers that as they continue to work for roughly 2.00. And you are right, it is not legal to pay less than min. wage. The exception to this rule is waiters and waitresses. So you might need to go back and get more facts.
Critical Thinking

Hazard, KY

#56 Feb 15, 2013
Bubba bout to be wealthy. You bout to be poor.
Critical Thinking

Hazard, KY

#57 Feb 15, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I guess you can tell my daughter and most of these other servers that as they continue to work for roughly 2.00. And you are right, it is not legal to pay less than min. wage. The exception to this rule is waiters and waitresses. So you might need to go back and get more facts.
I'd be glad to tell her that if the is TRULY working for roughly $2/hour, she's an idiot. If she is TRULY going to school she might ought to rethink it because she may not have the right stuff.
hoot

London, KY

#58 Feb 15, 2013
tipping wrote:
...here's another video from youtube that you should check out, funny also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Z-qV9wVGb38XX
STUPID you say ?? Anyone who would post such an ungodly ugly link such as this is S-T-U-P-I-D...all in capitals....if you make minimun way you don't need a tip...you need another job...If you are only making $2.15 an hour, then yeah, but talk to the owner not the customer, after all, they don't have to eat there...
hoot

London, KY

#59 Feb 15, 2013
tipping wrote:
...here's another video from youtube that you should check out, funny also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Z-qV9wVGb38XX
and another thing...you left out a letter in the word Rest(a)urant
hmm

London, KY

#62 Feb 15, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
So what does she bring home per hour with tips? My daughter in law just started a waitress job and averages over $14 per hour in tips alone...Surely she wouldn't keep working for only $2 per hour. In an eight hour day, she would only get $16. She would make more money working at McDonalds. I believe in tipping for good service, but I don't think it's a servers "right" to have it.
Here's the definition for gratuity:

1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.

2. something given without claim or demand.
how many pollocks

Winchester, KY

#63 Feb 15, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
The Kentucky minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour, the same as the federal minimum wage for tipped employees. The Kentucky tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.

Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Kentucky Minimum Wage of $7.25 per hour. If a Kentucky employee does not earn at least $7.25 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash.

Kentucky Tipped Wage Example:
Amy works in Kentucky as a waitress, and earns over $30 in tips a month. This hour, Amy earned $3.50 in tips. Her employer must pay her a cash wage of at least $3.75, to bring her total earnings for the hour up to the Kentucky minimum wage of $7.25. Annette, who also works as a waitress, earned $10.50 in tips this hour. Because she is already earning at least the minimum wage, her employer can pay her the Kentucky tipped minimum wage of $2.13 for this hour.

Kentucky Tip Credit - Waitresses, Waiters, and Bartenders
Kentucky employers who hire tipped workers like restaurants, bars, and cafes may deduct a tip credit of up to $5.12 from the minimum cash wage paid to their tipped employees, and can pay as little as $2.13 per hour for hours where the tipped employee has earned at least $5.12 in tips.

http://www.minimum-wage.org/kentucky-tipped-e...
Critical Thinking

Hazard, KY

#64 Feb 15, 2013
That is the law and most proprietors seem to follow it but what one person is saying is they make assumptions without actual proof. In other words if a server's table sales are around $33, the owner just assumes 15% and that would be $4.95 plus $2.30 will make $7.25. Of course, that's against the law but more than likely neither party wants it checked.
Critical Thinking

Hazard, KY

#65 Feb 15, 2013
That is $33/hour in sales.
Wtf

Matawan, NJ

#66 Feb 16, 2013
They should all go to buffets, and the buffets should have their own self service drink stations. That way everybody could wait on themselves.
Truck stops are about the only place left that has full service waitresses anymore.
Oh, and burger boy.
Golden coral ought to get drink stations, because that is all the waitress brings is the drinks.
Speak Out

London, KY

#67 Feb 16, 2013
A tip is meant to be money above your salary because of good work . They are taking these peoples tips to pay the salary is just not right. What if we had to pay for our food and then tip the person on the register for bagging our food , then they only got $2.30 an hr. It seems it would be the same thing . These poor waitress' need to get min. wage and then take the tipping off the customer unless they really went above and beyond what the job required . We give hair dresser's , cab drivers , pizza delivery people , newspaper delivery people , and just about anyone a tip but they don't just get min. wage . What is up with that ? I have even given people checking me out at Walmart tips because they were so good about doing their job and being really helpful above what they had to be.
what Law School

United States

#68 Feb 16, 2013
It is not Legally Required to leave a Tip. A tip is basically a gift for good service. Unfortunately the owners of restaraunts see tipping as salary for their employees and also tips are taxable. Tips according to law need not be money, as previously stated a tip is basically a gift for good service, It could be tickets to a Basket Ball Game or even a gift certificate.
For the person in an earlier post that stated that something funky would be placed in someones food for not leaving a tip. That is Assault under the law and criminal liability. Their is also Civil Liability on the part of the Buisness. So if anyone did recieve anything "funky" in their food or drink they are criminal and civil penalties. Criminal Penalties in some states that include 5 years of incarceration. Heaven forbid anyone died due to any item maliciously placed in a patrons food then a procecutor could file charges of Murder or attempted Murder. Generally speaking the charge is Assault with intent to do bodily harm.
WillyP

Louisville, KY

#69 Feb 16, 2013
what Law School wrote:
It is not Legally Required to leave a Tip. A tip is basically a gift for good service. Unfortunately the owners of restaraunts see tipping as salary for their employees and also tips are taxable. Tips according to law need not be money, as previously stated a tip is basically a gift for good service, It could be tickets to a Basket Ball Game or even a gift certificate.
For the person in an earlier post that stated that something funky would be placed in someones food for not leaving a tip. That is Assault under the law and criminal liability. Their is also Civil Liability on the part of the Buisness. So if anyone did recieve anything "funky" in their food or drink they are criminal and civil penalties. Criminal Penalties in some states that include 5 years of incarceration. Heaven forbid anyone died due to any item maliciously placed in a patrons food then a procecutor could file charges of Murder or attempted Murder. Generally speaking the charge is Assault with intent to do bodily harm.
If I ever find out that a server messed with my food, a criminal charge will be the least of their worries.
Ha Ha

London, KY

#70 Feb 16, 2013
WillyP wrote:
<quoted text>
If I ever find out that a server messed with my food, a criminal charge will be the least of their worries.
Ya Ya Ya You must be one of the A**holes that don't tip ?
Barbara

Olive Branch, MS

#71 Feb 16, 2013
If restaurant owners paid the $7.25 min, do you believe you would still get good service?
WillyP

Louisville, KY

#72 Feb 16, 2013
Ha Ha wrote:
<quoted text> Ya Ya Ya You must be one of the A**holes that don't tip ?
A server has to be truly awful not to get a 20% tip out of me. I know what the pay scale is and I don't believe in shorting people who likely need the money. A good server gets well above 20% and if it's a small order I tip at least $5.00 even if it's 200% of the order. But, mess with my food and let me find out about it and I'll go postal.
Critical Thinking

Hazard, KY

#73 Feb 16, 2013
what Law School wrote:
I've got a question for you Law School. You're right a tip can be anything, that's pretty obvious, but what if it is a ticket to a Basketball Game. Let's say a UK game. Lower arena face value of $45 and there's two. The server has no interest but picks them up and puts them in his/her pocket. Is that taxable? Seems odd that tips are truly a gift but taxable, because small gifts (currently up to $13.000) are not taxable to the beneficiary are they? Therefore, tips, in accordance to the IRC must be compensation. How do you see that?
what Law School

United States

#74 Feb 16, 2013
Critical Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got a question for you Law School. You're right a tip can be anything, that's pretty obvious, but what if it is a ticket to a Basketball Game. Let's say a UK game. Lower arena face value of $45 and there's two. The server has no interest but picks them up and puts them in his/her pocket. Is that taxable? Seems odd that tips are truly a gift but taxable, because small gifts (currently up to $13.000) are not taxable to the beneficiary are they? Therefore, tips, in accordance to the IRC must be compensation. How do you see that?
You bring up a valid point are the Basketball tickets taxable on the part of the Waitress. If Tax was assessed at the time of the sale to the person who bought the tickets and who left them as a tip then No the waitress would not be liable for tax on the basketball tickets since tax was assessed at the time of sale.
The same goes for any other item left as a tip which is essentially a gift. If a person left a tip in the form of a clothing article or an article of jewlry for example Taxes are assessed at the time of sale of those articles and the Waiter or Waitress would not be liable for tax. The sticking point is Cash left as a tip then as crazy as it may sound the waiter or waitress is then responsible for tax on any cash left as a tip.
what Law School

United States

#75 Feb 16, 2013
what the IRS says about tips when it is cash.
what Law School

United States

#76 Feb 16, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min ChromiuMan 133,405
London Bingo 2 hr wondering 1
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 2 hr Walk with God 757
what happened in Tattersall Sat night? 4 hr Tater salad 8
What Do Your Eyes Say About You (Jul '09) 10 hr richard 174
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Jan 28 Bethany Ky 701
Man accused of trading pills for sex acts (Sep '08) Nov '14 nxtstrtovr 31
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster