man1

Dayton, OH

#64 Aug 20, 2013
Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you wonder. While I don't say Emmaus is a cult, I do say it uses many cult methods which open it up to not just being accused of being one, but also actually becoming a full blown cult in the future.

Here is the first thing one anyone can go to the monthly meetings as for the candlelight service it is a gift of agope from your sponsor. To you and you do interact with them you hug say hello and more. There are really no surprises except for a game thdy play where you lift a box say what the items are under them and only a few play.. but as a joke there is a hole in the table and one of the leaders yells for help when you lift it up. As for the no tech and everything its to help keep your mind on god.. by the way if you want to leave you can most people won't leave cuz they don't want to be that person. And you will only get out what you put in. That is true for everything in life they are not a cult. Its a set of 15 classes to help you grow closer to god. Last but not least if you can explain the presence of god to me then you don't truely know god. His presence is above our understanding so yes you can not really explain it. You can listen to all the negative comments and join in when you really don't know or you can do the right thing don't judge and pray to god about it. That being said I am praying that he opens your mind to see what sin you hold in your heart. Cuz it is there and you should tell everyone the same thing to pray to god about it. If its not from him then it won't last. If his people are truly being harmed by it. I pray that at least one thing I have said gets to you and everyone on here god loves everyone no matter what denominations you are as long as you believe his sone dies for your sins that's what matters god bless

Gdwte #56 table David
man1

Dayton, OH

#65 Aug 20, 2013
Ok as I see more on here I feel the need to point out that people in the US (my sister and brother for quick examples feel that your beloved Christian beliefs are the same as a cult if you look hard enough you will find cult methods is everything. Why because humans make the standards for what is a cult to explain why you should not join something else. Short example we eat bread that is blessed and for the Catholics it is actually turned into the body and the blood so they believe and the rest of us say its ok to pretend to eat our savior just say its all on how it is said its in the eyes of the beholder. And I am pretty sure it said somewhere yet I can not remember what book said it... that your not to judge.. I could be wrong but hey what do I know its not like I pray over what to write on here anyway.
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#66 Aug 21, 2013
man1 wrote:
Ok as I see more on here I feel the need to point out that people in the US (my sister and brother for quick examples feel that your beloved Christian beliefs are the same as a cult if you look hard enough you will find cult methods is everything. Why because humans make the standards for what is a cult to explain why you should not join something else. Short example we eat bread that is blessed and for the Catholics it is actually turned into the body and the blood so they believe and the rest of us say its ok to pretend to eat our savior just say its all on how it is said its in the eyes of the beholder. And I am pretty sure it said somewhere yet I can not remember what book said it... that your not to judge.. I could be wrong but hey what do I know its not like I pray over what to write on here anyway.
What I have pointed out clearly (but the Emmaus Community fails to see) are methods which cult information groups specifically highlight as the the methods cults use as their way of manipulating people into the cult. These same methods are used by Emmaus. It is not a case of looking hard to find them. They are the primary methods of cults and are just as dangerous as when cults use them.

It is a mistake when thinking of cults to think of the most extreme actions of the most extreme cults when making a comparison. All cults use subtle and disarming methods to entrap their victims. Emmaus uses many of those same subtle methods to entice people into the program. And again I say these methods define how a cult operates. They are not obscure or hard to find.

Do not judge? I can judge a program which it seems the Emmaus Community take personally. That is not my fault. The program is not mandated in the Bible nor are the methods used. My conscience is clear on that one.

One of the clear indications of people being manipulated into cult type entities is there is a very heavy defence of said entities whenever they are criticised. Those who critise are said to be wrong. Their criticisms are dismissed or the critics are made to look misinformed or deliberately malicious. I see this happening a lot when people legitimately criticise Emmaus. People have a right to judge a program and to criticise it. it is not divine in nature nor is it something precious to God. People are precious to God, not programs.

Many people have had bad experiences at Emmaus, a number I know personally. Their criticisms show a clear pattern of manipulation. This is common across denominations and countries. That tells me it is the program which is at fault. It doesn't help in the least to say you had a great time. It doesn't address the fact that others have had very bad experiences. To go on about how great Emmaus is in the face of those experiences, and in spite of them, is to show ego love, not agappe.
man1

Detroit, MI

#67 Aug 21, 2013
So by the theory you just said christianity is a cult using what you say it can be argued. Everything is a cult um in a cult for serving thw military I apent 3 months seperated from my family for that. What I am said ia that it is reaerved for god to judge its not your job and again anything is a cult you just have to know how to spin things in what ever way it need to be. And yes christians do argue in defence of it so no need to argue the point you will prove mine right there you are doing it already. And besides I think itit's time for real men and woman of god to do what thw y were called to do and that's to show the love of god in all we do not argue over who is doing it right. Cuz no one is just letting you know that I pray thatyou will be open to god. I do think you should spend a few hours praying to go and asking him to point out your sin and start from there who knows you might learn something. Ohh and I just want to point out that you just keep going back to the same thing you don't know of anything new to add to the discution so nothing
man1

Toledo, OH

#68 Aug 21, 2013
Ok i think I should not say anything more I am starting to fall back into the sin i had before I came to god. To help with anyway. God bless and I pray you can hear the lord as he talks to you soon cu it dues seem like your sin is holding you from what I am trying to say. You skipped over points and only pull what you think you can use to prove your point. I did that to blame ww2 on france and yes it dues work.
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#69 Aug 21, 2013
man1 wrote:
So by the theory you just said christianity is a cult using what you say it can be argued. Everything is a cult um in a cult for serving thw military I apent 3 months seperated from my family for that. What I am said ia that it is reaerved for god to judge its not your job and again anything is a cult you just have to know how to spin things in what ever way it need to be. And yes christians do argue in defence of it so no need to argue the point you will prove mine right there you are doing it already. And besides I think itit's time for real men and woman of god to do what thw y were called to do and that's to show the love of god in all we do not argue over who is doing it right. Cuz no one is just letting you know that I pray thatyou will be open to god. I do think you should spend a few hours praying to go and asking him to point out your sin and start from there who knows you might learn something. Ohh and I just want to point out that you just keep going back to the same thing you don't know of anything new to add to the discution so nothing
No you are not reading what cult help groups say. I am not making up these methods and pronouncing them to be cult methods. These are methods listed by cult help groups as specific methods used by cults. For instance they do not list denominational differences such as differences in communion as a cult method. They do list love bombing which is showering people with such love and attention, that they are fooled into the group.

You are now judging me by implying my criticism of Emmaus is a sin. It is a typical cult method to call critics sinners.

Margaret T Singer, a psychologist, writes 6 conditions for thought reform in a book titled "Cults in our Midst". Condition 6 includes " Members are not allowed to question, criticize or complain -- if they do, the leaders allege that the member is defective -- not the organisation or the beliefs. The individual is always wrong -- the system, its leaders and its beliefs are always right."

This and the other 5 conditions listed can be applied to Emmaus.

I have a right to criticise Emmaus and you have no right to imply that is a sin. I will repeat Emmaus has no Biblical mandate nor do its methods.
Ogie Ogilthorpe

United States

#70 Aug 21, 2013
First some disclosures:
1) I am an atheist
2) I was a Comparative Religion major at university and have kept up my studies in the 40 years since graduation.
3) I have a relative who studied for her Divinity Degree under the author of the "Purple Book" concerning "The Walk".
4) An ex-spouse and her second husband, an ex-friend, have participated in "The Walk" and are active in their Emmaus Community.

Now you know my biases and areas of expertise.

Firstly - ALL, I repeat ALL religions can be regarded as "Cults". The "Jesus Cult", the "Muhammed Cult", the "Moses Cult", the "Buddha Cult".

Secondly - All cults work at creating in their adherents an us-vs.-them mentality and make a claim to exclusivity in their correctness.

Thirdly - The "Walk To Emmaus" movement is a particularly pernicious sub-sect within Christianity. It attempts to create an elite cadre within the group where all others are second class members as they have not done "The Walk".

Since I reject the legitimacy of all belief in a God, and can't challenge any beliefs from an "inside" position I'll leave further criticism to folks like Phil G. I think he has expressed the most coherent arguments on this topic that I have seen.

Thanks for the chance to express my beliefs.
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#71 Aug 22, 2013
Ogie Ogilthorpe wrote:
First some disclosures:
1) I am an atheist
2) I was a Comparative Religion major at university and have kept up my studies in the 40 years since graduation.
3) I have a relative who studied for her Divinity Degree under the author of the "Purple Book" concerning "The Walk".
4) An ex-spouse and her second husband, an ex-friend, have participated in "The Walk" and are active in their Emmaus Community.
Now you know my biases and areas of expertise.
Firstly - ALL, I repeat ALL religions can be regarded as "Cults". The "Jesus Cult", the "Muhammed Cult", the "Moses Cult", the "Buddha Cult".
Secondly - All cults work at creating in their adherents an us-vs.-them mentality and make a claim to exclusivity in their correctness.
Thirdly - The "Walk To Emmaus" movement is a particularly pernicious sub-sect within Christianity. It attempts to create an elite cadre within the group where all others are second class members as they have not done "The Walk".
Since I reject the legitimacy of all belief in a God, and can't challenge any beliefs from an "inside" position I'll leave further criticism to folks like Phil G. I think he has expressed the most coherent arguments on this topic that I have seen.
Thanks for the chance to express my beliefs.
Thank you for your input. It is interesting to get a perspective from outside of Christianity. I am a Christian who has made a personal decision to accept Jesus as my Saviour and Lord. It is because of my sin that I am in need of a saviour. He has paid the price for it and that is what agape love is.

I would like to clarify the definition I am using for a cult. My dictionary gives a few but this is the one I believe most people understand: "A quasi-religious organisation using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents". Under this definition, I don't agree that all religions are cults. Most people belong to religions through birth than devious psychological techniques. I also don't call the Walk to Emmaus a cult (yet) because it still is run by a recognised denomination. But it does use devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents.

One of the things I make a point of in my beliefs is to constantly check if what I believe is true. I have a mind that tends to work on a logical plane so it has to make sense for me to believe. If I apparently have an experience of God, I need to check it out to see if that experience was manipulated by others or genuinely outside of manipulation. Emmaus is full of manipulation so any experience is, at the very least, highly suspect. When the methods that Emmaus use are used elsewhere (and they are, in cults) the results are very similar and that is why they are used. This further increases the likelihood that the experiences were manipulated by others. In fact I think it is obvious that they were.

The mistake that the Emmaus Community is making is it is not checking its methods to see if they manipulate. I believe these methods were deliberately chosen at the inception of Emmaus because they do manipulate. There are too many coincidences with cult methods for them not to have been deliberately chosen for similar purposes. The Emmaus Community also do not check their experiences to verify their authenticity. This is a basic Biblical principle, to test everything. Failure to do so is to invite deception.

Thanks again expressing your beliefs. I will leave it between you and God as to whether you check again as to their truth.
haha

London, KY

#72 Aug 24, 2013
yuh huh wrote:
<quoted text>now you can take that with a grain of salt. anything a non-believer or an atheist HATES, they will call it a cult.
they are totally biased for their satan.
Actually, I am not an atheist. I am in fact a Christian who is stating what I have observed.
Christstrong

United States

#73 Aug 28, 2013
Went on Emmaus Walk as was curious as to what mystery was all about. It is neither mysterious or cult. It is designed to emulate the original Emmaus experience. That being the teachings of the Bible and beginning a new relationship with Christ. The intent is to go back into the community and share your Christian beliefs. It seems the intent to allow folks to enjoy their own experience without preconceived notion has morphed into it being a secret society. It is based on Luke 24. As an experienced teacher & preacher I found it a gentle way to get away for a few days without phone or watch and just commune with God. It did strengthen my witness but I don't believe I get extra points in the hereafter because I went and I don't believe anyone does
Phil G

Ireland

#74 Aug 28, 2013
Christstrong wrote:
Went on Emmaus Walk as was curious as to what mystery was all about. It is neither mysterious or cult. It is designed to emulate the original Emmaus experience. That being the teachings of the Bible and beginning a new relationship with Christ. The intent is to go back into the community and share your Christian beliefs. It seems the intent to allow folks to enjoy their own experience without preconceived notion has morphed into it being a secret society. It is based on Luke 24. As an experienced teacher & preacher I found it a gentle way to get away for a few days without phone or watch and just commune with God. It did strengthen my witness but I don't believe I get extra points in the hereafter because I went and I don't believe anyone does
The only thing common with Luke 24 is the name. There is no 72 hour intensive program or joining of an Emmaus Community in Luke 24. Nor did the 2 disciples keep their experience hidden from the others until they experienced for themselves. Nor did they encourage the other disciples to go to the road to Emmaus so they could experience it also.

There was no love bombing or restrictions on information or contact. There was no candlelight or cross ceremony or dying moments. There was no cloistered environment nor 15 talks.

Emmaus talks are from a particular denominational stance. They teach sacramental grace - baptism and communion are viewed as sacraments whereas other denominations believe them to be ordinances. You are not allowed to debate that issue as Emmaus is not for theological debate. So you just have to accept it. Of course they try to distract you so much that many don't notice the subtle change of message. Look up a blog by a Baptist pastor called "Should Baptists participate in a Walk to Emmaus?" by the Open Mike for more deatail on that.

These are just a small number of issues which arise when you investigate Emmaus in depth.

Many people including friends of mine have voiced their feelings of hurt and problems they have had as a direct result of the Walk to Emmaus. Many have experienced problems in their marriage. They are not making it up nor are they being malicious. This was as a direct result of the methods used which are too close to cult methods to be a coincidence. And there lies the crux of the matter.
london ky

Fairland, IN

#75 Aug 30, 2013
I have been on the walk to emmaus it far from a cult I learned stuff there I never knew they close off the outside world so you don't have any distrctions we read from bibles share experiences give praise learn gratitude its peaceful read about christ and his teachings read about david abraham everyone from the bible there's no cult and when people tell you to go for yourself they mean it it was a wonderful weekend and it taught me to be humble and respectful and to never be judgmental so please people don't bash emmause
Phil G

Athy, Ireland

#76 Aug 31, 2013
london ky wrote:
I have been on the walk to emmaus it far from a cult I learned stuff there I never knew they close off the outside world so you don't have any distrctions we read from bibles share experiences give praise learn gratitude its peaceful read about christ and his teachings read about david abraham everyone from the bible there's no cult and when people tell you to go for yourself they mean it it was a wonderful weekend and it taught me to be humble and respectful and to never be judgmental so please people don't bash emmause
What you are saying then is the ends justify the means. Whether you enjoyed it or not, Emmaus uses cult methods to achieve its goals. This is easily verified by researching into cult methods and comparing them to Emmaus methods. There are many common comparisons which are not used by churches.

By inviting people to a 72 hour intensive program where they are not privy to the schedule or activities is straight off a cult method. It gives Emmaus control over your life for those 72 hours. That takes a lot of trust or sheer naivity.

Refusing people knowledge of time and outside contact is another cult method. Love bombing them with gifts and attention and calling it "love" is again another cult method. Manipulating emotional experiences such as "dying moments" and "candlelight" is another cult method. Using terminology with specific meanings within the group different to outside the group such as "dying moments, candlelight, fourth day and agape" is another cult method. I could go on and on.

None of these methods are used by established recognised mainstream churches. They ARE used extensively by cults.

I have every right to criticise Emmaus as it is a manmade program without Biblical sanction. It has no equivalent in Scripture and is not divine in nature. It is not up front about its true intent which is to grow Emmaus , not leaders. If you doubt that, read your sponsorship information which will clearly state the most important job in Emmaus is to sponsor someone else to go to it. That is cult type control.

I make absolutely no apology for taking Emmaus to task on its methods, teachings and intent.
charlotte

Hobbs, NM

#77 Sep 6, 2013
I have never been and it is not the type of thing I would go to. One reason is the secrets about it. Christ never kept what He done for others a secret and if what they do there is a secret then it doesn't meet HIS requirements in my books. I have seen people go and come back all fired up but in a month or so they are right back to the same ole person they were. It takes people from their church on Sunday Morning and Sunday Night,and that is not right. I think these people that are running this thing is getting rich.
Doug_B

Johnson City, TN

#78 Sep 9, 2013
I have gone on the Walk. My comment is not hearsay, but is MHO. Your assessment is somewhat inaccurate. In particular; "all information is controlled with no debating what is taught". After every talk your table is given plenty of time to discuss and yes, even debate what you just heard. In addition there are ample breaks where you can talk with other pilgrims to discuss the presentations or any facet of the event. I could mingle with anyone I wanted and at no time did I feel "manipulated". Everyone who goes on the Walk will get something different and some will not like it. You are free to leave at any time. If you feel like you are being coerced to go by friends or family you should not.
Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
No I have not been to a walk. But I have had lengthy discussions with those who have, both with good and bad experiences. I have also aquired a significant amount of Emmaus material used for the weekend.
Many will say their experience was great but others say they were manipulated and controlled.
My main point is that Emmaus uses the same methods that cults use and there is no excuse for that in a Christian event. Cloistering people into a controlled environment out of contact with their friends and family and intensively subjecting them to a program where all information is controlled with no debating what is taught is cult behaviour. It is also very dependent on experiences which are kept secret from the pilgrims until it is time for the experience. That emotionally manipulates what the pilgrims feel and again is a cult technique.
The fact that pilgrims are not told the time or timing of events and breaks is another cult technique. I could go on and on but Emmaus needs to be examined in this light. Most people go on trust because a friend has approached them to go. That is yet another cult technique. Emmaus never issue a general invitation to go but target friends of members.
The covenant that is signed is between the local Emmaus Community and the greater Emmaus Community. It is in order to ensure Emmaus is run according to the program guidelines. This would include follow up groups and ongoing meetings.
Phil G

Carlow, Ireland

#79 Sep 9, 2013
Doug_B wrote:
I have gone on the Walk. My comment is not hearsay, but is MHO. Your assessment is somewhat inaccurate. In particular; "all information is controlled with no debating what is taught". After every talk your table is given plenty of time to discuss and yes, even debate what you just heard. In addition there are ample breaks where you can talk with other pilgrims to discuss the presentations or any facet of the event. I could mingle with anyone I wanted and at no time did I feel "manipulated". Everyone who goes on the Walk will get something different and some will not like it. You are free to leave at any time. If you feel like you are being coerced to go by friends or family you should not. <quoted text>
I'm afraid your position directly contradicts both the official Emmaus position and the testimony of others. Officially Emmaus states it is "not for theological debate". Others have testified when they tried to disagree with what was taught, they were told they were focusing on denominational differences. These were people who also attended and so are not relating "hearsay". Their testimony reflects Emmaus policy so I believe them.

People have also testified that they found it difficult to leave or opt out of aspects of the program. These also reflect Emmaus policy as each pilgrim is "an indispensable member of the three day community and of his or her table group" according to Emmaus. being indispensable means each person is essential to the weekend. how can you leave if you are essential? Again I have to agree with those who have experiences in keeping with official Emmaus policy rather than yours which contradicts it.

I fail to see why Emmaus has become such an important program within the church. It is not Biblical in its methods but cult like. Your defense of it proves yet again how it has taken over from prayer and Scripture as the way to experience His love.

I am criticising a man made program which has hurt many people. Defending it in the light of that hurt is not the way to show love and care for those hurt. It only adds to it.

Emmaus sponsorship documents clearly state the most important job in Emmaus is sponsorship. So much for strengthening the local churches. It is strengthening Emmaus and turning churches into Emmaus Communities.
Scott

Greenville, SC

#81 Sep 24, 2013
I went on the Walk to Emmaus in 2001. It is a wonderful experience that increases your faith in Christ. It is Biblically based and it does have surprises in it. That is why you can't talk about it, it would spoil the surprises. It is like Christmas, don't spoil the surprises, that's all. It is a lot of fun and not a cult, just dedicated Christians mostly Methodists. Come on, Methodist cults? Next thing you know they will be saying that our Potlucks are cults. It is very harmless and very beneficial. DeColores.
Phil G

New Ross, Ireland

#82 Sep 24, 2013
Scott wrote:
I went on the Walk to Emmaus in 2001. It is a wonderful experience that increases your faith in Christ. It is Biblically based and it does have surprises in it. That is why you can't talk about it, it would spoil the surprises. It is like Christmas, don't spoil the surprises, that's all. It is a lot of fun and not a cult, just dedicated Christians mostly Methodists. Come on, Methodist cults? Next thing you know they will be saying that our Potlucks are cults. It is very harmless and very beneficial. DeColores.
If you think it is Biblically based, perhaps you can tell me where in the Bible the disciples were isolated for 72 hours in a cloistered environment, singing "De Colores", giving 15 talks, love bombing each other, and keeping the "surprises"? My Bible has no equivalent event or anything like it written in its pages.

In Luke 24, the two disciples who had their unique experience, returned immediately to the others to tell all that they had experienced. They did not tell the others to "walk to Emmaus" so they could have a similar experiences complete with surprises! They did not withold any information or confine the others without contact or manipulate them into emotional experiences. And only those 2 disciples had that experience. The others had other experiences in other places.

If you look instead at cult methods, you will see clear examples of the same type methods that Emmaus uses. That should tell you Emmaus methods do not come from the Bible, but cults.

Their is a BIG difference between surprises at Christmas, birthday parties etc and a true experience of God. You do not play around with God's purposes like that.

Many people have voiced their very bad experiences at Emmaus Walks, yet the Emmaus Community fails to care about them. It is a clear example of in Emmaus terms "Discipleship Denied". Instead of accepting those experiences as the result of Emmaus methods, people are told they "just weren't suited" or they "got the wrong impression" or the pilgrims running it were "over-enthusiastic". Such comments are unhelpful and do not show "agape".
I went on a walk

Suwanee, GA

#83 Sep 24, 2013
Scott wrote:
Thank you for sharing your opinion. It is valuable to get all sides. Here's another one:

By its very nature, secrecy breeds distrust IMO. When a pilgrim expresses the desire for info, even when she/he knows it will 'spoil the surprise', her questions should be answered especially if it will bring her a measure of trust & comfort.

Would you not agree that if someone asks a direct question of Emmaus leadership, it should be answered?

My experience: the Emmaus leadership would not budge in answering 1 single question ... all at the expense of my emotional well being and all for the sake of a Hershey Kiss surprise. Being denied answers to direct questions was both frustrating AND confusing. For some pilgrims, it was emotionally distressing.

Do you think that if a pilgrim expresses distress at not having the answers he feels he needs, that the Emmaus leadership should stick with the secrecy plan anyway?

Love Bombing is a cult tactic. That part is not opinion. Why do you think cults use it?

I think it's because it revs up the emotions and keeps the person on an extreme emotional high and in some cases, feeling a sense of indebtedness. When in a revved up state, the psyche becomes putty. Would you not agree that an Emmaus weekend is exactly that? An extreme emotional high?

Emmaus 'surprises' ARE love bombs. That's crystal clear. The question is: Why would a legitimate ministry use this tactic and then veil it in secrecy when they repeatedly see so many negative results and get so much criticism for doing so? What do you think?

Since: Sep 13

Somerset, KY

#84 Sep 29, 2013
Exposing false teachings and unbiblical practices is an important mandate from our Lord but it must be done with clear understanding and with careful spiritual discernment. Trying to discredit something God is doing or attributing it to the Devil is pretty serious stuff (see Mark 3:22-29). I believe many of the criticisms of the Emmaus Walk expressed here are sincere and rise from legitimate concerns but some conclusions are seriously wrong.

Does WTE employ some cult-like methods? Yes. Does that make WTE a cult, or in danger of becoming one? Absolutely not! Man 1 is correct in asserting that some elements of cult-like methods can be found in practically every organization on earth and most certainly in the early church. There was considerable suspicion surrounding the early Christians and their critics often considered their practices to be mysterious and sinister, especially the Lords Supper and the Love Feast. For 300 years the Romans labeled them a cult and warned people of the dangers of associating with them. But they were not a cult; they were the people of God.

There are several ways to identify a cult but the two most distinctive and essential characteristics are the demands of allegiance to the cult leader(s) and the total and persistent domination of followers for the cult’s own purposes. Cult leaders demand allegiance to themselves, and their teachings are elevated in authority over everything, including the scriptures. Nothing in Emmaus promotes allegiance to any human. WTE seeks to create an opportunity for people to experience the incredible love of God, be filled with His Spirit and make Jesus Christ alone Lord of their lives. The Scriptures are the only authority and no one, apart from the Holy Spirit, dictates what people are to do or believe.

The second essential characteristic of a cult is the emotional domination of individuals in order to absorb their time, energies, resources and lives into the group for the group’s own benefit (cults are completely self-serving). This is often achieved, in part, by persistently alienating followers from family, friends, churches, etc. The notion that the Emmaus weekend constitutes this kind of alienation is beyond absurd. Thousands of Christian retreats are conducted every year and nearly all of them want people to get away from the distractions of their everyday lives. Isn’t that part of the purpose of a retreat? The encouragement to “give yourself to the weekend” is no different than a pastor encouraging church members to give themselves to an intensive discipleship program or some such event. It is simply an encouragement to be serious and dedicated in order to gain the best you can from the experience. To try to make that something sinister is sinister in itself! But here’s real the clincher, WTE is not designed to serve itself but rather to serve others and to support the local church and Christian community. It seeks to send people back to the worlds and lives from which they came, praying that they will be better friends, family members and servants for Christ in their local church.

Most people who go on WTE never work a Walk or attend any meetings. Hopefully they are serving the Lord somewhere under the direction of a local church pastor and its leaders. If that is the case then WTE has succeeded. No cult on earth functions this way!

There may be reasons for an individual not to go on WTE but the fear of being brainwashed and trapped in some kind of dangerous cult is not one of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Bringing In the Illegal Aliens? 5 min Curmudgeon 42
Free Goat 29 min Sunshine 2
Lower Taxes 33 min come On 1
Free Goat 1 hr Riley 2
Alan and Debra Bray 1 hr Sester 2
North football 1 hr Jag Fan 41
Corbin Dixie Chili Recipe (Aug '11) 1 hr Karen 26
Keavy Dating
Find my Match

Keavy Jobs