blind babless

Annville, KY

#23 Apr 14, 2013
It has already torn this church all to pieces. It is fast becoming a cult here. If we do not belong to Emmaus, we are shunned and accused of not wanting to work for the Lord. Emmaus is not supposed to be a church but this church is using it as one and that is the problem. It is more important than church and they act so rightous.
Phil G

Carlow, Ireland

#24 Apr 15, 2013
blind babless wrote:
It has already torn this church all to pieces. It is fast becoming a cult here. If we do not belong to Emmaus, we are shunned and accused of not wanting to work for the Lord. Emmaus is not supposed to be a church but this church is using it as one and that is the problem. It is more important than church and they act so rightous.
This is the result of the cult methods. The people are programmned into promoting Emmaus even at the cost of friendships, marriages and churches. Emmaus becomes the source of revival and blessing in their view and the church must comply.

They will deny Emmaus is a church, but it is set up to be one. The Emmaus community operates as an independent unit influencing the churches where it has infiltrated.

They become so obsessed with running the church with programs for this, that and the other, that those who are truly hurting can get pushed aside - a contradiction of the agape love they are supposed to have experienced!
desserted

Annville, KY

#25 Apr 15, 2013
Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the result of the cult methods. The people are programmned into promoting Emmaus even at the cost of friendships, marriages and churches. Emmaus becomes the source of revival and blessing in their view and the church must comply.
They will deny Emmaus is a church, but it is set up to be one. The Emmaus community operates as an independent unit influencing the churches where it has infiltrated.
They become so obsessed with running the church with programs for this, that and the other, that those who are truly hurting can get pushed aside - a contradiction of the agape love they are supposed to have experienced!
Don't forget the cost of family! Emmaus members become their family! An Emmaus walk and the need to serve others comes ahead of dad,mother, brother, sister, and worse of all their children!Doesn't matter that mother is in the hospital, or brother just got the news he is eaten up with cancer, or Heaven forbid their child has the virus! Emmaus is going on and I have to go and fellowship, serve, candlelight and testimony! This is my family now and if you are not in Emmaus, I am sorry but you are not worthy of my love or attention! You may not have said this , but it is what you do! Actions speak louder than words and the bible says that if we don't take care of our own family, then we are worse than an infidel!Wake up people and get out of this chains that are supposed to free you, and get back to God!!
Phil G

Kilkenny, Ireland

#26 Apr 15, 2013
desserted wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the cost of family! Emmaus members become their family! An Emmaus walk and the need to serve others comes ahead of dad,mother, brother, sister, and worse of all their children!Doesn't matter that mother is in the hospital, or brother just got the news he is eaten up with cancer, or Heaven forbid their child has the virus! Emmaus is going on and I have to go and fellowship, serve, candlelight and testimony! This is my family now and if you are not in Emmaus, I am sorry but you are not worthy of my love or attention! You may not have said this , but it is what you do! Actions speak louder than words and the bible says that if we don't take care of our own family, then we are worse than an infidel!Wake up people and get out of this chains that are supposed to free you, and get back to God!!
Yes, you are right. The family is also split. Emmaus takes over everything. Sponsoring people to go to Emmaus becomes the most important act of agape love in their eyes. The sponsoring leaflet given to pilgrims actaully states in bold print "Sponsorship is the most important job in Emmaus!" And then says "Sponsoring is our first act of agape."

Well that says it all. Forget about being obedient to God and His Word, forget about loving God and loving your neighbour, forget about loving your family, sponsor people to go to Emmaus instead and that will be agape!
agree

Annville, KY

#27 Apr 15, 2013
Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, you are right. The family is also split. Emmaus takes over everything. Sponsoring people to go to Emmaus becomes the most important act of agape love in their eyes. The sponsoring leaflet given to pilgrims actaully states in bold print "Sponsorship is the most important job in Emmaus!" And then says "Sponsoring is our first act of agape."
Well that says it all. Forget about being obedient to God and His Word, forget about loving God and loving your neighbour, forget about loving your family, sponsor people to go to Emmaus instead and that will be agape!
My point exactly! I know a man who can't or won't, pay his bills and is in debt to people all over the county, but he will pay 150.0O to sponser another couple so that it makes his church think he is an upstanding christian! He doesn't have many fooled and he for sure doesn't have God fooled! This man has conned, lied and ripped off almost everyone in Jackson county at one time or another and I don't think working in the church and sponsering Emmaus is going to get him to Heaven. This man is the talk of the county right now because he is hiding behind the church his family and Emmaus. Not doubt he has some young folks fooled but not for long. Jesus is in control and this mans deceitful deeds will not go unpunished. The devil is stoking the coals and I pray he repents before it is too late.
Laura D

Saint Albans, WV

#28 Apr 15, 2013
I am not sure who has given anyone the idea that the Walk to Emmaus is a cult or has a cult foundation. I went on a walk in 200o and I can assure you that I am not a member of any cult. The idea of separating oneself from the business of home and work without the interference of telephones or TV is not meant to infer a cult atmosphere. It is to give personal attention to the participant from members of the program, from their own church family, from their own family members and from personal friends who send encouragement in different forms to be given at different times to the participants at the event. Participants at the Emmaus Walk I was on were allowed to have time to themselves to reflect on their personal faith, there is hymn singing and bibilical sharing. It is in no way founded on any cult activity and a participant does not come away with some sort of instruction to bring in members to a cult membership.
If you are a believer of Jesus Christ as the Son of God, that He came to save the world of their sins and that he gave His life that those that surrender their lives to Him and ask Him to be Lord of their lives, then you know that the story of Emmaus is found in Luke and is not from any kind of cult background. Jesus himself called the diciples one by one to leave their families and follow Him. Was he asking them to join a cult? I don't believe so.
The secrecy as you call it is not meant to be just that but to allow the participant to go with the anticipation that something special is going to happen and it is meant to be nothing but blessing after blessing which I found it to be. The event could be considered similar to a church camp or retreat where singles and/or couples go apart from their families.
It is sad that as human beings some want to destroy the excitment that a spiritual event can be for those that have decided to live their lives for Christ might participate in.
I would suggest that before shedding a negative cloud over this event that is founded on a biblical encounter, you might pray and ask God to give you the wisdom to see what He would want you to see before slamming the event or those that go.
ino

Annville, KY

#29 Apr 15, 2013
You went 13 years ago! Maybe you did not allow this to become a cult for you. Then great!Emmaus did for you what is is supposed to do! It is just certain Emmaus communities that are making Emmaus into a cult. This is not how Emmaus originated or how it is intended to be!
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#30 Apr 16, 2013
Laura D, First the WTE is in no way based on the Luke account. In scripture, Jesus met His disciples where they were, walking to Emmaus, they were NOT on retreat! HE chose when to reveal Himself, not disciples. Second, I have quoted Emmaus material where it is clearly stated that sponsorship is the most important job in Emmaus. That is recruitment. It IS a cult method. Third, removing outside contact from pilgrims is a cult method. Please note the only contact that pilgrims have is with Emmaus Community. Cults do the same where only the cult members are allowed access to their victims. Love bombing people with gits and letters and telling them how much they are loved by the Emmaus Community is yet another cult method. Like it or not, you are a member of a world wide body which excludes people like me who are not members. If you doubt that, you need to read what Emmaus actually says in its literature.

Emmaus to its shame, uses many cult methods and the effects of that is obvious when people automatically defend it and give the impression that those who have problems with it are just being negative. That is a standard cult response.

I have being studying Emmaus and its methods for a number of years and talking to those who have had both good and bad experiences. The bad experiences can be directly blamed on the methods, not the pilgrim's attitude. The good experiences can be linked to the methods too. These are highly manipulative and emotionally charged - exactly how cults operate.

I think you should take a real hard look at the truth of Emmaus rather than rehashing the responses that you have been programmed to give. I have heard them all before and they say nothing to those who are truly hurting as a result of Emmaus. That is NOT agape
yuh huh

Secaucus, NJ

#31 Apr 16, 2013
haha wrote:
All I know is that everyone I know who has been on this walk has come back crazier than they where before they went on it. They also won't tell you what they did while on their walk, all they say is you need to go. This all sounds very fishy to me and cultish.
now you can take that with a grain of salt. anything a non-believer or an atheist HATES, they will call it a cult.
they are totally biased for their satan.
Phil G

Wexford, Ireland

#32 Apr 16, 2013
yuh huh wrote:
<quoted text>now you can take that with a grain of salt. anything a non-believer or an atheist HATES, they will call it a cult.
they are totally biased for their satan.
I am neither an atheiest nor a non-believer. I don't call Emmaus a cult but I do say it uses cult methods and behaves very cultish.

Am I biased for my satan?
anythinggoeschur ch

Annville, KY

#33 Apr 30, 2013
I hear you got some new recruits. Good job keith!
interesting

Annville, KY

#34 May 2, 2013
I have family going on this in a few days. What are some views? I am not sure I like the sound of any of it. All secret and all.Something just makes me feel it is not right.
Phil G

Saint Mullins, Ireland

#35 May 3, 2013
interesting wrote:
I have family going on this in a few days. What are some views? I am not sure I like the sound of any of it. All secret and all.Something just makes me feel it is not right.
The "secrets" are surprise events which happen during the weekend. The Emmaus Community will say they cannot tell because it would spoil the surprises, like ruining a surprise birthday party. What they miss is there is a big difference between surprising someone on a birthday and manipulating experiences which are supposed to be from God.

The main problem I have with Emmaus is the fact that they use manipulative methods which are common to cults and this seems to have the effect of intense promotion of the Emmaus program within churches. It creates an air of secrecy combined with a super spiritual attitude and a recruitment objective.

Some examples of the methods common to both cults and Emmaus weekend are: Controlled Environment - no contact outside of the group during the weekend. Time Control - pilgrims have no way of knowing the time and are subjected to a tight, intensive and packed schedule, incuding 15 talks. Love Bombing - pilgrims are showered with attention, "love", gifts and letters telling them how loved and wonderful they are. Loaded Language - pilgrims hear terminology which have meanings specific to the group i.e. "agape" means the love and gifts given by the Emmaus Community, not God's unconditional love. Confession in front of the group - pilgrims confess a sin which is hindering them from God. No Debating - pilgrims are not allowed to debate theology even when they don't agree with a teaching. Sponsorship - emphasis is placed on sponsoring others to go as the most important job in Emmaus, effectively recruiting for Emmaus.

By now it should be obvious that Emmaus uses some methods which it should be staying well clear of. It should also be clear that the Emmaus Walk has nothing to do with the account of Jesus appearing to the disciples on the road to Emmaus in Luke's Gospel. Their problem is that without the methods, the weekend is mediocre and has nothing new to offer - certainly not life changing!

You say you have family attending Emmaus, so you may need to prepare for some pressure for you to go next. You will probably be told it was fantastic and you have to go. But ask them about Candlelight (The Big Surprise!) where pilgrims are unwittingly brought into a room/chapel where members of the Emmaus Community are singing holding candles in order to show you how much God loves you and how much they love you. The only thing is, unless the people you love the most are part of the Emmaus Community already, they will be banned from this event. Ask about Dying Moments when they require you to confess a sin in front of the group and ask about the closing ceremony when you receive a cross saying Christ is counting on you and become a member of the Emmaus Community thereby linking you to their community rather than your church.

Unless you are happy with all I have said, my advice is to stay away from the Emmaus Walk. Resist pressure to go and show they have nothing that you don't have already - God's love and salvation.
Really

East Bernstadt, KY

#36 May 5, 2013
Wow! Is all I can say to all these posts about Emmaus! The Emmaus Walk is actually in the Bible - Luke 24 -- while 2 men were walking Jesus comes along side of them and they FINALLY recognize Him. In the world we are never alone without distraction to be just with the Lord and that is the reason for no watches, cell phones, etc. To be a true follower of Jesus, you are willing to give up everything and follow him -- isn't that in the Bible as well --can we not give up 72 hours for Him without being critical of it? The 3 days consist of 5 talks per day - total of 15 talks - its a lay led movement and with that being said what has happened in my life may help someone else in theirs. 10 talks are given by lay people and 5 by clergy. Prevenient Grace, Means of Grace ( Jesus dying and being raised for us so that we may live ), Justifying Grace, and of course Obstacles to Grace ( the shame of some of some of things we have done ) are given by clergy. Candlelight -- yes people hold candles and sing -- oh my gosh -- and if you haven't been and may go why would you want to spoil that evening for you. This walk is a self examination of self. It is to equip you to go back to your local church and serve like you haven't before. I have been and absolutely loved it -- changed my life. Oh yes - the controlled environment -- yes you need to stay on schedule to get the talks in - AND to get meals in. Our local churches -- let me say, there are plenty of RELIGIOUS people in them to make me want to stay out of them. Jesus didn't come and die for religion - He came to die for thieves, prostitutes, beggars, tax collectors, people in prison, widows, and YOU! Shame on you for judging! I thought judgement was to come from the Lord! If you really want to give people information so they can make an informed decision why don't you attend one of these weekends and then put your information out there. Pastors - and notice that is plural - come on the walks and are filled back up with the Spirit. My Emmaus Family is very important to me. My table I was with is just like blood relatives. We share life together -- good and bad. You know on the Emmaus Walk we do pray for the one that is in attendance that thinks they need the weekend the least. I will pray for you because I believe you need to walk with Jesus for 72 hours to really see who He is and to be able to LOVE like He loves!!!
Really

East Bernstadt, KY

#37 May 5, 2013
Phil G -- I thought Jesus revealed himself daily to us -- its us that does not see Jesus for who He is and where He is. We can go through our daily life without Him and not think twice. And in all actuality - isn't God supposed to come first before anything else? Take a marriage for instance - if God comes first and we do what He says instead of what "I" say -- isn't that marriage more than likely gonna last instead of putting "me" and "my wants" first. A marriage consists of 3 people in my book -- THE LORD MY GOD, THE HUSBAND, AND THE WIFE!!!
Phil G

Kildare, Ireland

#38 May 6, 2013
Really wrote:
Phil G -- I thought Jesus revealed himself daily to us -- its us that does not see Jesus for who He is and where He is. We can go through our daily life without Him and not think twice. And in all actuality - isn't God supposed to come first before anything else? Take a marriage for instance - if God comes first and we do what He says instead of what "I" say -- isn't that marriage more than likely gonna last instead of putting "me" and "my wants" first. A marriage consists of 3 people in my book -- THE LORD MY GOD, THE HUSBAND, AND THE WIFE!!!
Yes, but what does that have to do with the Emmaus Walk? Are you saying because I question the methods of Emmaus, I am not putting God first?

Scripture tells us to test everything. Your example of a marriage when applied to Emmaus shows a deep flaw. A husband goes to Emmaus but then refuses to tell his wife anything about it because it will "spoil the surprise" when she goes. She cannot attend his candlelight because she is not part of the Emmaus Community. This is wrong in a marriage. And please don't tell me it's like a surprise birthday party - that is not what Emmaus claims to be about. It claims to be about experiencing God.

There are indeed 3 people in a marriage but that is not husband, wife and Emmaus.

Why are you so put out by questioning Emmaus? I am not questioning Scripture or the Gospel but a man made program which uses cult like methods to manipulate people. It has nothing to do with Luke's account of Jesus meeting with the disciples on the road to Emmaus. I don't see any reference to a 3 day retreat and spoiling surprises or manipulation of emotions in Luke.
cultshy

Annville, KY

#39 May 6, 2013
Really wrote:
Wow! Is all I can say to all these posts about Emmaus! The Emmaus Walk is actually in the Bible - Luke 24 -- while 2 men were walking Jesus comes along side of them and they FINALLY recognize Him. In the world we are never alone without distraction to be just with the Lord and that is the reason for no watches, cell phones, etc. To be a true follower of Jesus, you are willing to give up everything and follow him -- isn't that in the Bible as well --can we not give up 72 hours for Him without being critical of it? The 3 days consist of 5 talks per day - total of 15 talks - its a lay led movement and with that being said what has happened in my life may help someone else in theirs. 10 talks are given by lay people and 5 by clergy. Prevenient Grace, Means of Grace ( Jesus dying and being raised for us so that we may live ), Justifying Grace, and of course Obstacles to Grace ( the shame of some of some of things we have done ) are given by clergy. Candlelight -- yes people hold candles and sing -- oh my gosh -- and if you haven't been and may go why would you want to spoil that evening for you. This walk is a self examination of self. It is to equip you to go back to your local church and serve like you haven't before. I have been and absolutely loved it -- changed my life. Oh yes - the controlled environment -- yes you need to stay on schedule to get the talks in - AND to get meals in. Our local churches -- let me say, there are plenty of RELIGIOUS people in them to make me want to stay out of them. Jesus didn't come and die for religion - He came to die for thieves, prostitutes, beggars, tax collectors, people in prison, widows, and YOU! Shame on you for judging! I thought judgement was to come from the Lord! If you really want to give people information so they can make an informed decision why don't you attend one of these weekends and then put your information out there. Pastors - and notice that is plural - come on the walks and are filled back up with the Spirit. My Emmaus Family is very important to me. My table I was with is just like blood relatives. We share life together -- good and bad. You know on the Emmaus Walk we do pray for the one that is in attendance that thinks they need the weekend the least. I will pray for you because I believe you need to walk with Jesus for 72 hours to really see who He is and to be able to LOVE like He loves!!!
And YOU are accusing others of judging? May I say H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T ? I believe you need to go back on another agape LOVE walk because it don't sound like with your bitterness it has helped you ANY! Also you sound programmed just like every other person I have every talked to that has attended the walk. Word for word for word! It is so simple to see that you folks are brainwashed ito what to say and how to answer everyone when you get back.It's a secret! I can't tell! Just go and find out for yourself! No thank you! I found Jesus at the foot of the cross and God forbid if I ever lose him, I will know exactly where to go back and find him ! At he foot of the cross!
Phil G

New Ross, Ireland

#40 May 7, 2013
Really wrote:
Just some of observations on this post. The Emmaus program is NOT giving up 72 hours to be with the Lord. If it were, I would have NO problem with it. It is a 72 hour intensive program (and if you really need to fit 15 talks into it, try dropping the other rubbish), where the Emmaus Community (curiously absent from Luke's account!) are running around making sure you have NO TIME to be alone with Him! At no time in Luke is Jesus portrayed using cult methods to manipulate the disciples. And I don't see the disciples lining up to join the Emmaus Community either. So don't claim that the Emmaus Walk is in the Bible. Nothing even remotely like it is anywhere in it.

Judging the Emmaus program IS NOT judging people! It is a sure sign of manipulation when someone tries to intimidate people who have genuine concerns about something they believe is wrong. How dare you try that on? Have you gone to a cult meeting? If someone told you they have been invited to one, would you try to dissuade them based on your knowledge? If cult members told you that you are wrong and you have to go to know what it's like, would you?

No matter what way you spin it, the Emmaus program uses cult methods. This is a fact easily checked WITHOUT having to go. Cults use these methods because they affect people the way they want. If Emmaus was using 1 or 2 of these methods, I could call it naive and unwise. No church should be using any of them to promote the Gospel. However, Emmaus uses a whole raft of these methods. That is deliberate, pure and simple. You cannot excuse that.
Phil G

New Ross, Ireland

#41 May 7, 2013
"Really", just a few observations on your first post. The Emmaus program is NOT a 72 hour opportunity to be with the Lord. If it were, I would have NO problem with it. It is an intensive program (and if you really need to fit 15 talks into 72 hours, try dropping the manipulation rubbish), where the Emmaus Community (curiously absent from Luke's account!) run around making sure you have no time to be with Him!

In Luke, Jesus does not use any cult methods. The disciples are not subjected to an intensive program and there is no sign of an Emmaus Community implementing that program. In short, the Upper Room's Emmaus Walk IS NOT IN THE BIBLE! Nor is there anything remotely like it in the Bible.

Judging Emmaus IS NOT judging people. I have given real and factual examples of how Emmaus uses cult methods which can be checked WITHOUT going. You however have judged me! You say you believe I "need to walk with Jesus for 72 hours to really see who He is and to be able to love like He loves"!!!!

This tactic comes straight from cults and if that is how you learn to deal with genuine concerns, Emmaus is definitely where I won't find Jesus!

It is a basic right that before people agree to go to something, they have enough information to give their INFORMED consent. If the only way they can get information is to go (those who have gone won't tell), that is a cult method. It is then down to people like me to inform because we have taken the time and energy to find out for ourselves instead of trusting the Emmaus Community.

If Emmaus used 1 or 2 of these methods, I could call it naive and unwise. No church should use cult methods to promote the Gospel, least of all because it would open that church to accusations of being a cult. However Emmaus uses a whole raft of cult methods. That is clearly deliberate and cannot be excused.

Emmaus says to "give yourself completely to the Emmaus Walk". That is a postion only God can occupy. I am sorry to see Emmaus apologists have taken that quote to heart and see Emmaus as untouchable and something which should not be criticised.

Please use your prayers to pray the Lord will show you the truth about Emmaus and let Him lead you to freedom from its grip. I will do the same and pray for you here.
wondering

Annville, KY

#42 May 7, 2013
Thanks Phil G! You have given me insight and reconfirmed what I already knew! You have given facts from research and I have talked to many that have been on this walk and it is so easy to tell that they have been brainwashed by the devil. The reason most of these clergymen are interested, at least the one I know, is because it builds their numbers up in the church and therefore assures their salary. Thank you for intelligent information.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 min ChromiuMan 131,932
*New Topix Feature - Hide/Customize Location! (Feb '10) 1 hr Goodbye 311
michelle lied about racist incident 5 hr LMAO 6
Medicaid Suboxone patients (Nov '11) 7 hr angel42 32
tco (Sep '10) 8 hr local 12
Who HIres Felons? 10 hr Asking 4
This town......please help??? 12 hr Stop being so jud... 3
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Keavy News, Events & Info