Mckee, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2012

Judged:

While researching the walk to emmaus I ran across information that said that it came out of the catholic church (originated) and how it promotes beliefs found within the catholic church and that it kind of dumbs down the fact that Christ resurrected. According to the information it is a way for the catholic idealogies to infiltrate churches nation wide by having "pilgrims" go back, testify how good the walk is, and have the idealogies sweep over the MOTHER CHURCH of the pilgrims (in a nutshell). I ASLO found a newsletter put out by the WTE Walk To Emmaus stating that they are nuetral on the subject of homosexulaity. Here are the links:

http://www.bvemmaus.org/newsletters/news_2012...

http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php...

http://hadleyrobinson.org/Documents/EmmausWal...

here's someone's summary of what went on (just one person's experience)(which probably didn't know they support the catholic church)

http://sleepwalkinginthelight.wordpress.com/2...

I just wonder why i would have to go to one of these "walks" to grow in Christ. Isn;t the Holy Ghost, bible, and local church enough?
haha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2012

Judged:

All I know is that everyone I know who has been on this walk has come back crazier than they where before they went on it. They also won't tell you what they did while on their walk, all they say is you need to go. This all sounds very fishy to me and cultish.
Phil G

Kildare, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

pilgrims progress wrote:
While researching the walk to emmaus I ran across information that said that it came out of the catholic church (originated) and how it promotes beliefs found within the catholic church and that it kind of dumbs down the fact that Christ resurrected. According to the information it is a way for the catholic idealogies to infiltrate churches nation wide by having "pilgrims" go back, testify how good the walk is, and have the idealogies sweep over the MOTHER CHURCH of the pilgrims (in a nutshell). I ASLO found a newsletter put out by the WTE Walk To Emmaus stating that they are nuetral on the subject of homosexulaity. Here are the links:
http://www.bvemmaus.org/newsletters/news_2012...
http://rr-bb.com/showthread.php...
http://hadleyrobinson.org/Documents/EmmausWal...
here's someone's summary of what went on (just one person's experience)(which probably didn't know they support the catholic church)
http://sleepwalkinginthelight.wordpress.com/2...
I just wonder why i would have to go to one of these "walks" to grow in Christ. Isn;t the Holy Ghost, bible, and local church enough?
Yes, the Walk to Emmaus does come from the Catholic Church. Even though it is adapted for the Methodist tradition, it is eccumenical and still has Catholic influences such as the prayer to the Holy Spirit said frequently at the weekend and Emmaus gatherings. This is a prayer from a Catholic Novena.

The main difficulties I have with the Walk are the secrecy (very hard to get some who have gone to tell anything about it), a perceived superior spiritual attitude (they sometimes behave like they have an extra blessing which you lack), and controlling manipultive techniques used during the weekend (these include removing any outside contact, not informing you of what happens during the weekend and strictly adhering to a full timetable without telling you the time - no watches allowed).

There are more problems but a good place to start if you want to know more is to read their own publication "What is Emmaus?" by Stephen D. Byrant. This booklet is riddled with self praise (Emmaus is faultless) and strange ideas (any negativity is the fault of someone else). It even states at one point to plan to "give yourself completely to the Emmaus Walk". The stuff of cults I would suggest!

Not that I would accuse the Emmaus Walk of being a cult...yet!
blind blaptist

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Well I suppose a certain church here in the county's numbers will go up on the board again in a few weeks, since they just finished another walk, or should I say recruit? These people are getting so good and so much more perfect than Christ himself, I expect that church to be raptured out just any second!
what

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 8, 2013

What is Emmaus?
Phil G

New Ross, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

what wrote:
What is Emmaus?
The Walk to Emmaus is a 72 hour weekend where people (pilgrims) are cloistered and subjected to an intensive program of talks, activities and experiences.

It is run by the United Methodist Church but has its origins in the Catholic Cursillo movement.

Pilgrims are told not to bring watches, cell phones or any other electronic device. They are not to have contact with the outside world for the 72 hours and are considered indispensable to their table group. They are given little gifts throughout the weekend and given letters written by their friends and family (who have been asked by the Emmaus Community to write them) telling them how wonderful they are. They sing silly songs (e.g. De Colores) and are given few breaks. Not knowing the time, they don't know how long those breaks will be. They are controlled from beginning to end.

It is very much dependent on emotional experiences which you would either love or hate. The main one of these is a "Candlelight" ceremony where they are unknowingly brought into a room filled with people holding candles singing to them. They are not allowed to interact with these people who are made up of the Emmaus Community only. This is supposed to show how much they love you. But if those who you are closest to are not Emmaus Community, they will be banned from this event.

After the weekend, pilgrims join the Emmaus Community who sign a covenant with the greater Emmaus Community and then the goal is to operate as leaders and positions of influence within their own local churches. They maintain "confidential" links with their local Emmaus Community which does not allow people who are not members to attend any meetings.

It is well on the way to operating as a cult and uses many cult methods to recruit their victims.
wonder

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
The Walk to Emmaus is a 72 hour weekend where people (pilgrims) are cloistered and subjected to an intensive program of talks, activities and experiences.
It is run by the United Methodist Church but has its origins in the Catholic Cursillo movement.
Pilgrims are told not to bring watches, cell phones or any other electronic device. They are not to have contact with the outside world for the 72 hours and are considered indispensable to their table group. They are given little gifts throughout the weekend and given letters written by their friends and family (who have been asked by the Emmaus Community to write them) telling them how wonderful they are. They sing silly songs (e.g. De Colores) and are given few breaks. Not knowing the time, they don't know how long those breaks will be. They are controlled from beginning to end.
It is very much dependent on emotional experiences which you would either love or hate. The main one of these is a "Candlelight" ceremony where they are unknowingly brought into a room filled with people holding candles singing to them. They are not allowed to interact with these people who are made up of the Emmaus Community only. This is supposed to show how much they love you. But if those who you are closest to are not Emmaus Community, they will be banned from this event.
After the weekend, pilgrims join the Emmaus Community who sign a covenant with the greater Emmaus Community and then the goal is to operate as leaders and positions of influence within their own local churches. They maintain "confidential" links with their local Emmaus Community which does not allow people who are not members to attend any meetings.
It is well on the way to operating as a cult and uses many cult methods to recruit their victims.
Have you been on one of these walks? Are you speaking from experience or from what you have read? Also what is the covenent they sign?
Answers

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

I have been, it is not a cult. Everyone gets something different out of the walk. Most people that have a negative experience, didn't want to go or was made by family or friends. It's just getting away from the hustle and bustle world we live in and focus on your own relationship with God with no distractions. People will pick apart Emmaus.Sometimes it is life changing for people, for me, it made me more on fire for God. It's real simple, no secrets, just things that others do for you that is really nice and it would ruin it by telling everything. Kind of like a husband sending roses to his wife and her knowing about it, it would ruin the surprise....it's that simple :)
Answers

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been on one of these walks? Are you speaking from experience or from what you have read? Also what is the covenent they sign?
I don't remember signing anything, it's nothing like that. You are a part of the Emmaus Community because you attended it, that is it :) There are meetings that you can attend if you want where you share testimonies, sing, eat etc. Again, people will pick anything apart.
Phil G

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
No I have not been to a walk. But I have had lengthy discussions with those who have, both with good and bad experiences. I have also aquired a significant amount of Emmaus material used for the weekend.

Many will say their experience was great but others say they were manipulated and controlled.

My main point is that Emmaus uses the same methods that cults use and there is no excuse for that in a Christian event. Cloistering people into a controlled environment out of contact with their friends and family and intensively subjecting them to a program where all information is controlled with no debating what is taught is cult behaviour. It is also very dependent on experiences which are kept secret from the pilgrims until it is time for the experience. That emotionally manipulates what the pilgrims feel and again is a cult technique.

The fact that pilgrims are not told the time or timing of events and breaks is another cult technique. I could go on and on but Emmaus needs to be examined in this light. Most people go on trust because a friend has approached them to go. That is yet another cult technique. Emmaus never issue a general invitation to go but target friends of members.

The covenant that is signed is between the local Emmaus Community and the greater Emmaus Community. It is in order to ensure Emmaus is run according to the program guidelines. This would include follow up groups and ongoing meetings.
Phil G

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Answers wrote:
I have been, it is not a cult. Everyone gets something different out of the walk. Most people that have a negative experience, didn't want to go or was made by family or friends. It's just getting away from the hustle and bustle world we live in and focus on your own relationship with God with no distractions. People will pick apart Emmaus.Sometimes it is life changing for people, for me, it made me more on fire for God. It's real simple, no secrets, just things that others do for you that is really nice and it would ruin it by telling everything. Kind of like a husband sending roses to his wife and her knowing about it, it would ruin the surprise....it's that simple :)
I don't think you realise the damage the "surprises" actually do. Is it worth risking splitting marriages, friendships and churches because you don't want to spoil the surprise?

The problem is Emmaus is so dependent on these surprises that without them, there is no impact. That is not the Gospel.

As far as distractions are concerned, pilgrims are never let be alone with God. The Emmaus Community are constantly telling them where to go and what to do. The breaks are short and pilgrims have no real idea of how long they have. That is a cult technique to keep people in a state of anticipation. This not what Christian events should do.
insight

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Thank you very much for sharing this information. You are 100% correct! Of course pilgrems don't ever think of it as a cult they are getting into! They never do!!The devil is very cunning and decietful! By the time they stay their 72 hrs.,it is like they have been brainwashed! Emmaus walk is more important than God himself! The focus is no longer on God but in serving other Emmaus members ! Usually the young generation is targeted, just like in all cults,young teenagers because they see it as a way to get out away from their parents for a few days,young married couples with children, because they see it as a retreat from everyday duties, stress from responsibilities such as cooking, cleaning,and taking care of the kids. Youth succomb to peer pressure very easily and if most of their friends are doing it, then it mut be o.k. Some see it as a way to have a break from their spouse. They do not relize they are joining a cult!By the time it is over they have been mesmerized and brainwashed! That is why it is all so fast paced and no free time to think for yourself, or talk individually in private. You are never alone, because you might actually have time to figure this all out and lose the momentum! All that is important to them is serving and RECRUITING other emmaus members! If you are not a member or refuse to go on the walk, then you are shunned! The bible says to not have any secret organizations! That was inspired and written for a purpose! Some say they are going to experience the walk to see what it is like , but when they come back everyone always has the same answer, "You will just have to see for yourself! I don't want to spoil the surprise!" It is a surprise all right! You have fallen right into the devils plans and into his trap door. Just like in all cults, if you did not enjoy the walk or Heaven forbid, ever drop out of Ennaus, you are shunned!
Answers

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

I know not to argue with everyone who thinks they know. Your church probably has a program to go by on Sunday morning. You probably have certain ways you do things in your church building. It's no different.... It's not for everyone and it does not split marriages up. It encourages to make families stronger to go back and be stronger for God and stronger in your church. People may do extreme things on their own and that has to do with their personalities :/ It's not a walk for everyone, especially going into it with a negative attitude. I've been and I promise you I am not in a cult, lol. Why would you get on here and provide info on it if you have not gone? You really don't know unless you've been, end of story :)
Phil G

Athy, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

Answers wrote:
I know not to argue with everyone who thinks they know. Your church probably has a program to go by on Sunday morning. You probably have certain ways you do things in your church building. It's no different.... It's not for everyone and it does not split marriages up. It encourages to make families stronger to go back and be stronger for God and stronger in your church. People may do extreme things on their own and that has to do with their personalities :/ It's not a walk for everyone, especially going into it with a negative attitude. I've been and I promise you I am not in a cult, lol. Why would you get on here and provide info on it if you have not gone? You really don't know unless you've been, end of story :)
You reply with the typical Emmaus answers. I don't have to go to know what goes on. I have not gone to a Mormon meeting either but I know by research that they are a cult.

My church does have a program it goes by on Sunday mornings but it doesn't take people away from their friends and family for 72 hours. Nor does it remove people's phones. If someone wants to leave they can without someone going after them to know why and try bring them back. It doesn't manipulate people into surprises to preach the Gospel. If someone disagrees with what is said, they can. They are not required to confess sins in front of the group nor do the church community run up to them with gifts and letters to tell them how great they are.

I will repeat the simple truth that Emmaus uses cult methods. That is fact! Please don't tell me I have to go to know. That position is ridiculous. I can read various websites about the methods that cults use and guess what, the methods that Emmaus use slot neatly in there.

Cults are dangerous primarily because of the methods they use. People who join cults do so because they have been recruited through methodology, not through the teachings. Emmaus uses these same methods of manipulation, time control and information control and they do not allow debate. That alone should be enough to say stay away!
cult

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2013

Judged:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck!
Phil G

Athy, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

cult wrote:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it's probably a duck!
And you don't have to be duck to know it!
Answers

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
You reply with the typical Emmaus answers. I don't have to go to know what goes on. I have not gone to a Mormon meeting either but I know by research that they are a cult.
My church does have a program it goes by on Sunday mornings but it doesn't take people away from their friends and family for 72 hours. Nor does it remove people's phones. If someone wants to leave they can without someone going after them to know why and try bring them back. It doesn't manipulate people into surprises to preach the Gospel. If someone disagrees with what is said, they can. They are not required to confess sins in front of the group nor do the church community run up to them with gifts and letters to tell them how great they are.
I will repeat the simple truth that Emmaus uses cult methods. That is fact! Please don't tell me I have to go to know. That position is ridiculous. I can read various websites about the methods that cults use and guess what, the methods that Emmaus use slot neatly in there.
Cults are dangerous primarily because of the methods they use. People who join cults do so because they have been recruited through methodology, not through the teachings. Emmaus uses these same methods of manipulation, time control and information control and they do not allow debate. That alone should be enough to say stay away!
And you reply with typical not knowing Emmaus answers. It's okay, we aren't going to agree, so we agree not to agree :) God Bless, have a good weekend!
Phil G

New Ross, Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Answers wrote:
<quoted text>
And you reply with typical not knowing Emmaus answers. It's okay, we aren't going to agree, so we agree not to agree :) God Bless, have a good weekend!
I think it's pretty obvious I know a enough about Emmaus and it's methods but I am not trying to get you to agree with me. I am posting information so others will see it. You who speak apparently knowing more, won't give any information! Promising me it's not a cult doesn't cut it. I hear the same from Mormons.

Most people I know who have gone to Emmaus have gone without foreknowledge of what goes on at the weekends and have gone on trust. Some have had bad experiences which can be DIRECTLY attributed to the methods used.

So my purpose is to help people make an informed decision about whether they should go or not. Information has been sadly lacking from Emmaus and all you hear is the standard answer "it's a surprise, you have to go to find out." That means people cannot give their informed consent to go. Cults do this too. It's how they recruit.

So while we don't agree, you have helped me put my case across and I thank you for that. Enjoy your weekend too.
wonder

Annville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Phil G wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's pretty obvious I know a enough about Emmaus and it's methods but I am not trying to get you to agree with me. I am posting information so others will see it. You who speak apparently knowing more, won't give any information! Promising me it's not a cult doesn't cut it. I hear the same from Mormons.
Most people I know who have gone to Emmaus have gone without foreknowledge of what goes on at the weekends and have gone on trust. Some have had bad experiences which can be DIRECTLY attributed to the methods used.
So my purpose is to help people make an informed decision about whether they should go or not. Information has been sadly lacking from Emmaus and all you hear is the standard answer "it's a surprise, you have to go to find out." That means people cannot give their informed consent to go. Cults do this too. It's how they recruit.
So while we don't agree, you have helped me put my case across and I thank you for that. Enjoy your weekend too.
I agree with everything you have said abd I know your information to be true. I see cult written all over the Emmaus movement.
Phil G

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with everything you have said abd I know your information to be true. I see cult written all over the Emmaus movement.
Thank you wonder. While I don't say Emmaus is a cult, I do say it uses many cult methods which open it up to not just being accused of being one, but also actually becoming a full blown cult in the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of334
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••