Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151663 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#127739 Apr 6, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>

BY was just a man speaking his thoughts, but it certainly isn't and wasn't the doctrine of the Mormon faith.

If you want to do harm to the Mormon Church why not find something they are doing wrong today? That way we won't have to rely on "he said, she said" stuff from 180 years ago that no one can accurately verify since no one is alive that was there.
If we forget history we are bound to repeat it.

Joseph Smith taught Garden of Eden is in Missouri? Joseph Smith teach anything else that may have been his own thoughts and not in the book of Mormon that I need to know about?

Do Mormons believe that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri?
We do not know exactly where the original site of the Garden of Eden is. While not an important or foundational doctrine, Joseph Smith established a settlement in Daviess County, Missouri, and taught that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in that area.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#127740 Apr 6, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
We do believe Adam is the father of mankind, which makes sense, and we also believe he had a role in the creation of the world, that Adam is Michael.

If you want to do harm to the Mormon Church why not find something they are doing wrong today? That way we won't have to rely on "he said, she said" stuff from 180 years ago that no one can accurately verify since no one is alive that was there.
You forgot out Eve, is she just chopped liver? Is Eve our heavenly mother?

“Hats Off to God”

Since: Jun 09

3rd Rock

#127745 Apr 6, 2014
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
If we forget history we are bound to repeat it.
Joseph Smith taught Garden of Eden is in Missouri? Joseph Smith teach anything else that may have been his own thoughts and not in the book of Mormon that I need to know about?
Do Mormons believe that the Garden of Eden is in Missouri?
We do not know exactly where the original site of the Garden of Eden is. While not an important or foundational doctrine, Joseph Smith established a settlement in Daviess County, Missouri, and taught that the Garden of Eden was somewhere in that area.
The Garden of Eden existed during the antedeluvian period of earth's history so anyone's guess is as good as the other. Arer you familiar with the term, pangea?
spaceship wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot out Eve, is she just chopped liver? Is Eve our heavenly mother?
You will have to ask God that when you see Him. You won't find anything from the Journal of Discourses that the church will claim as official for many obvious reasons.
Bible study

Wilmington, DE

#127746 Apr 6, 2014
Zechariah 7:11

11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear.

Jeremiah 5:23

23 But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.

Jeremiah 7:24

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#127747 Apr 6, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
The Garden of Eden existed during the antedeluvian period of earth's history so anyone's guess is as good as the other. Arer you familiar with the term, pangea?
<quoted text>
You will have to ask God that when you see Him. You won't find anything from the Journal of Discourses that the church will claim as official for many obvious reasons.
Then the prophet Joseph Smith told a lie, why did he make it up? He succeeded in building a religion much like the prophet of Seventh Day Adventist church. Of course other christian religions change their beliefs to fit into a modern society when proven not scientifically correct or found to be too silly to make a claim.

Du whut I think said awhile ago that Mormons now accept the teaching of evolution in schools. Do you see any conflict with the book of Mormon and the bible with the teaching of evolution in schools?
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#127748 Apr 6, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>

You won't find anything from the Journal of Discourses that the church will claim as official for many obvious reasons.
I Did not know the JM was alive when Wegener's theory was postulated in 1927. Joesph Smith must of had a vision and saw Wegener's postulate.

Discourses are written by men to build a religious empire.
spaceship

Rancho Cordova, CA

#127749 Apr 6, 2014
Lehi wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Joesph Smith saw the angels and still made up a bunch of lies anyway, why? Here another lie. Why would a God choose a liar to represent him, can you explain?

[Borrowed this comment from Yiago, Hope he does not mind me using it]

There is no such thing as "Reformed Egyptian". Smith made it up. He had no idea how to translate Egyptian, and neither did anyone else at that time. He translated the famous papyri as the Book of Abraham. Later, when scholars figured out how to read Egyptian, the Mormons themselves had that stuff examined and found that Smith's "translation" bore no resemblance to the actual contents of the scrolls at all. He made it up, entirely.

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#127750 Apr 6, 2014
Amber wrote:
all have sinned.
Yes, those new-born babies are just so evil, aren't they?

Cambridge, UK

#127751 Apr 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true for good skeptics. We evaluate the evidence vs. the claim. For example, the claim that church leaders with vested interests and human faults may be wrong is not a huge stretch. It is perfectly reasonable as long as we get some good supporting evidence. But the claim that an angel from heaven lead a man to golden tablets which he translated with magic rocks...
That's a BIG claim. You're gonna need a metric ton of evidence. And you do not have it.
That's how evidence works. It's not a simple matter of "He said he saw a unicorn and his buddy agreed."
Absolutely

If Christians say the text from their holy books is acceptable evidence then the same must go for the text from the holy books of all the other religions.

Cambridge, UK

#127752 Apr 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not an accurate portrayal of atheism. Atheism is this and ONLY this:
I do not accept the claim that a god or gods exist.
And that's all.
We are all agnostic simply because we don't have that kind of knowledge. But if you do not actively believe in god you are in fact an atheist. The technical term would be agnostic atheism (I don't know but I don't believe).
It seems like the only reason people resist the word "atheist" is that it has built up a lot of cultural baggage.
Now it is true that *some* atheists make a positive argument: I believe god does not exist. That's a very different position than what atheism actually entails. And it may actually be the cast that most atheists feel this way. But when we use the term in debates we are making a single claim that we do not accept the god hypothesis.
Friggin' philosophy. Gotta love it!
I'm not even sure if a god can satisfy the definition of a hypothesis.

"1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.

2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.

3. The antecedent of a conditional statement."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypothesis

Even though "hypothesis" describes a god more accurately than "theory", the Bible god and others still (arguably) fall short of these standards.

This is probably the best way to describe a god. You'll note how it fails to even get near the much more substantial definition that describes a theory. Which is comical when so many fundies sneer at Evolution and say it's "only a theory". Little do they realise that theories represent our best explanations.

Atheists don't accept the claim that a god or gods exist?

Yes, that fits me.

However, I still accept that I may be wrong and perhaps there is/are some great cosmic creator entity(ies). But not on the evidence I've seen so far and certainly not on the writings of men.

Cambridge, UK

#127753 Apr 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo bango! Nicely stated. We might call this the Sylvia Browne Effect. Works for hucksters all over the planet.
Thanks - I had to google Sylvia Browne. I like the analogy.

Cambridge, UK

#127754 Apr 6, 2014
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that sucks. Kinda reminds me of the current Satan statue fiasco.
Yeah, I think comparative religion is perfectly suitable to public school in something like a social studies type class. But if you did it right then parents would lose their sh*t over it. Because comparative religious study doesn't tend to produce obedient religious devotees. This is why all fields of study devoted to human psychology and cultural studies have the highest degree of atheism among experts. The more you know about how people actually tick the harder it is to believe in magic.
Nice post.

While I realised that atheism is high among anthropoIogists, I never made the link to levels of non-belief in psychologists.

I'm fairly confident that non-belief is also high among the ranks of geologists and botanists.

Cambridge, UK

#127755 Apr 6, 2014
SevenTee wrote:
Paul was an eye witness
So all the magical goings on in ancient Jerusalem are true because Paul was an eye witness?

Using your standards of evidence means that the 19 unfortunates executed at Salem were real witches who transcended the natural world by using real magic.

After all, the evidence to support this is plentiful:

The governor of Massachusetts (William Phips) was involved. A court was established with prosecutors, defenders and judges all respected pillars of the local communities.

Thorough investigations were carried out and witness were cross-examined. Evidence was gathered and many people confessed. All these proceedings were documented with hundreds of sworn affidavits, interviews and other court documents.

In other words a scale of evidence and testimonies far in excess of anything there is for Jesus.

The Salem Witch Trials were fairly recent and we have the original documents, not copies of copies made centuries later. We have the sworn and signed eye-witness testimonies from the very people who observed the magical events taking place.

There are even volumes written by witnesses to the trial.

If we look at what happened in Salem the same way that we look at what happened in Jerusalem, how can those people not have been witches?

Cambridge, UK

#127756 Apr 6, 2014
Bible study wrote:
Zechariah 7:11
11 But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear.
Jeremiah 5:23
23 But this people hath a revolting and a rebellious heart; they are revolted and gone.
Jeremiah 7:24
24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
Thank you for that - please allow me to reciprocate:

Surah Fathiha 1:1

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

"If thou bring them not a revelation, they say: "Why hast thou not got it together?" Say: "I but follow what is revealed to me from my Lord: this is (nothing but) lights from your Lord, and Guidance, and mercy, for any who have faith."

7:203

When the Qur'an is read, listen to it with attention, and hold your peace: that ye may receive Mercy.

7:204

"So patiently persevere: for verily the promise of Allah is true: nor let those shake thy firmness, who have (themselves) no certainty of faith."

al-Qur'an 30:60

‘Indeed, We sent Our messengers with evident truth, and We sent down with them the Book and the balance (of right and wrong), so that people might behave [with each other] with justice.’
(al-Hadid 57: 25)
Dog Boy and proud

Winter Garden, FL

#127757 Apr 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Not once have I claimed to be an Atheist.
Atheists will say they know that no god exists - the opposite of your position where you claim that you know that a god does exist.
Two extreme positions. Everything in between is agnostic.
Yet still you lie and state that I claim to be an atheist.
One of my earliest posts on this thread from October last year can be found here
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/campbellsvill...
<quoted text>
Your attempts to hide the truth by posting misleading statements and intentionally lying in order to defeng your faith are well known
First , you are not telling the truth when you claim that" the opposite of your position where you claim that you know that a god does exist"
That is a lie ,often repeaterd by you,Duket and if I remember correctly . Lodi and Box.
I have never stated that I know God exists , what I have stated is that I believe God exists and I have given very sound reasons for my beliefs.
Secondly, you claim not to be an atheist , but, what you post clearly indicates otherwise , recently you were descreibed as an " assertive atheist" so am not the only one that has reached the conclusion that ,based on your postings ,you are an atheist , in spite of your convenient denials..If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck ,it aim't a chicken. IT"S a DUCK.
Thirdly, and not important ,but further evidence that you lean toward falsehoods.
Guffaw , excuse my laughter LOL.
Recently you posted that" I was whining at your absence from topix because you had spent a few days at " the nations capital"
To which I responded"That you were away for a few days in Washington does not cause me to whine , but it does cause me to WINE, I drink to your absence......
Do not try to pick a Bone with me..........You will lose your hiney........
I knew I caught you im a lie and I set you up and you missed it
When you responed to that post , you did not deny having been in Washinton ,meaning that you absent mindedly admit to having been posting from somewhere in the USA all along.
However,you have claimed to be a BRIT posting from Nottingham in the UK as your avatar clearly indicates...
That is how I have managed to catch all you Atheists when you lie and mislead..
our lies eventually give you away. You are no more a Brit than I am a Ninja warrioe.
You are an intentionally misleading American Atneist , unable to admit his faith and incapable of hiding it.
Shame on you, for denying your American heritage in order to attempt to defend your faith,which you now deny..........
ANOTHER SUCCESFUL INVESTIGATION BY dEPUTY DOG.
pROVE ME WRONG...ATTEMPTS TO LIE WILL BE DISMISSED ,MUCH LIKE THE ATHEIST LAWSUIT..........lol
yikessssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssss
Dog Boy and proud

Winter Garden, FL

#127758 Apr 6, 2014
Correction
Should read
Your lies eventually give you away. You are no more a Brit than I am a Ninja warrioe.

Cambridge, UK

#127759 Apr 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post.
While I realised that atheism is high among anthropoIogists, I never made the link to levels of non-belief in psychologists.
I'm fairly confident that non-belief is also high among the ranks of geologists and botanists.
Botanists?

Well, maybe it is, although I meant to say biologists.
Dog Boy and proud

Winter Garden, FL

#127760 Apr 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not even sure if a god can satisfy the definition of a hypothesis.
"1. A tentative explanation for an observation, phenomenon, or scientific problem that can be tested by further investigation.
2. Something taken to be true for the purpose of argument or investigation; an assumption.
3. The antecedent of a conditional statement."
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypothesis
Even though "hypothesis" describes a god more accurately than "theory", the Bible god and others still (arguably) fall short of these standards.
This is probably the best way to describe a god. You'll note how it fails to even get near the much more substantial definition that describes a theory. Which is comical when so many fundies sneer at Evolution and say it's "only a theory". Little do they realise that theories represent our best explanations.
Atheists don't accept the claim that a god or gods exist?
Yes, that fits me.
However, I still accept that I may be wrong and perhaps there is/are some great cosmic creator entity(ies). But not on the evidence I've seen so far and certainly not on the writings of men.
Here we go again , as I find it necessary to correct your illogical thinking.
You can not devise a theory or hypotheis based on human knowledge that will lead you to God . Such is based on natural means.
God clearly sttes the formula for getting to know HIM , If you diligently seek me I will be found,,,,,,It all hinges on the word " DILIGENTLY"
Now, you are again demonstrating your double mindedness.....
You proclaim yourself to be an Atheist , then proceed to provide excuses in order to deny your faith...
Still in all ,God is so imbedded in your mind , you are quite unable to ignore His presence
Dog Boy and proud

Winter Garden, FL

#127761 Apr 6, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Try and talk sense, Dog Guy.
How can you deconvert someone who was never a Christian to start with?
You have the right to remain silent which you may seriously wish to consider because your next post is liable to be something stupid.
I am making sense, you are the mentally discombobulated one.
Now you are conveniently claiming to have never been a Christian.
You are also claiming not to be an atheist , which you quickly shifted gears and claimed to be an Atheist ,in response to yagos posting ,only to admit that you are not truly an atheist.
What the hell are you then? I'll tell ya, you are whatever conveniently suits you at any given time..........Double minded..........
Moreover , when you started posting,your location claimed that you were posting from Nottingham UK. to me that sounded absurd...
Then you claimed to be a Brit...I knew if I gave you enough rope , I'd catch you in alie.
Recently you posted about a visit ' To the nations capital" which would be Washingto D.C'
However, you claim to reside in the U.K....
You made a slip and are unable to legitimately correct it.
You are and have been posting from somewhere in the Good Old USA..........
Careful with your response and make sure you cover your hiney, otherwise , Deputy Dawg may take another chunk out of your ARSE..........LOL
The trap has been baited,,,,,,,,,, LOL
What a wicked web we weave when we first practice to deceive KING George the 3RD
Dog Boy and proud

Winter Garden, FL

#127762 Apr 6, 2014
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I do remember those names. Haven't seen Q in a while. I liked him too. Umm was back for a bit. We talked on another thread recently.
Q is heard from every now and then. It appears that after his parents found out he had judged them as being delusional , they have restricted his time on the computer...

I understanfd that Umm was banned from Topix.obviously is jumping ftom one forum to another, attempting to stay a couple of steps ahead of the topix moderstor,who is trying to catch him amd boot him out permanently.
Guess I miss them too.
Their postings were always good for a laugh..........
However , I dare not hope. They could well be posting with new found monokers......
Sorry abouit that, Curious made me do it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ricky Smallwood friend 11 min Duh 68
steak and shake hiring? 18 min Amber 1
Hey Big Red ! 21 min Meee 8
Single woman over 40 (Aug '15) 1 hr jsc1972 182
Laurel Cookie Factory -- what do you think? (Jun '08) 2 hr RED ALERT 9,281
From An Elephant To A Condom 2 hr Nonlib 7
A Neuroscientist Explains What May Be Wrong Wit... 3 hr wowed 10

Keavy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance