Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
110,181 - 110,200 of 130,210 Comments Last updated 7 min ago
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like me to post a bunch of copy/paste crap off the JW website to prove my credentials?
Jehovah will make known who belongs to him.—Num. 16:5.
Moses and Korah stand in sharp contrast when it comes to demonstrating respect for Jehovah’s arrangement and his decisions. Korah was a Kohathite Levite, and he enjoyed many privileges.(Ex. 32:26-29; Num. 3:30, 31) He had evidently been loyal to Jehovah for years and was looked up to by many in the camp of Israel. Nevertheless, Korah perceived what he imagined to be problems in God’s arrangement. Then 250 other leading men in the nation sided with Korah in trying to make changes. Korah and the others must have felt secure about their relationship with Jehovah. They told Moses:“That is enough of you, because the whole assembly are all of them holy and Jehovah is in their midst.”(Num. 16:1-3) What an overconfident and prideful attitude! By the end of the next day, Korah and all those who had sided with him in rebellion were dead.—Num. 16:31-35. w11 9/15 5:11, 12
Known Fact

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Moses and Korah stand in sharp contrast when it comes to demonstrating respect for Jehovah’s arrangement and his decisions. Korah was a Kohathite Levite, and he enjoyed many privileges.(Ex. 32:26-29; Num. 3:30, 31) He had evidently been loyal to Jehovah for years and was looked up to by many in the camp of Israel. Nevertheless, Korah perceived what he imagined to be problems in God’s arrangement. Then 250 other leading men in the nation sided with Korah in trying to make changes. Korah and the others must have felt secure about their relationship with Jehovah. They told Moses:“That is enough of you, because the whole assembly are all of them holy and Jehovah is in their midst.”(Num. 16:1-3) What an overconfident and prideful attitude! By the end of the next day, Korah and all those who had sided with him in rebellion were dead.—Num. 16:31-35. w11 9/15 5:11, 12
OAKLAND, Calif.-- A Northern California jury has awarded $28 million in damages to a woman who said the Jehovah's Witnesses allowed an adult member of a Fremont church to molest her when she was a child in the mid-1990s.

Alameda County jurors awarded $7 million in compensatory damages on Wednesday and another $21 million in punitive damages on Thursday to Candace Conti, her attorney, Rick Simons said.

"This is the largest jury verdict for a single victim in a religious child abuse case in the country," Simons told The Associated Press.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/16/cali...

I bet the Catholic priest are jealous.
non believer

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to raise you one with this bible verse. Apparently god abandons Judah because men in the valley had superior weapons. Looks like the bible writer screwed up on this one. Goat herders
go figure.

“And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.”

—Judges 1:19
Known Fact

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

non believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to raise you one with this bible verse. Apparently god abandons Judah because men in the valley had superior weapons. Looks like the bible writer screwed up on this one. Goat herders
go figure.
“And the Lord was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.”
—Judges 1:19
You remind me of that Spaceship Earth guy. I always enjoyed his posts.

Since: Oct 13

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
God Bless :-)
Thank you, your compliment goes a long way in up lifting my Spirit. Praise God for your kindness.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
True, God sure does talk to people. President Bush said God talked to him so why wouldn't he talk to you guys as well.
"President Bush said to all of us:'I am driven with a mission from God'. God would tell me,'George go and fight these terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did. And then God would tell me 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq'. And I did."
Mr Bush went on: "And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me,'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'. And, by God, I'm gonna do it."
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/...
Religion is a joke.
Whatever you want to believe, but I know God talks!
In just a few LONG years (I was gonna say short, but it's gonna feel like forever) The Lord will return, as written in Daniel, and Revelation... Look for the signs, as they are all around for the Lovers of God to see!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Is genocide good or bad?
Punishment of evil = Good!
Choose Righteousness unto Life, or sin unto death!
Life is a choice!
What is your sin that you need so badly to die for?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin? That's one of those words that doesn't actually mean anything because it doesn't refer to a real thing.
It's in good company because there are plenty of other meaningless words that also fail to refer to something real. Words like:
Sin, blasphemy, heaven, hell, holy ghost, Jehovah, Jesus, salvation, damnation, Satan, etc.
That's what you THINK!
We on the other hand KNOW!
See... sick people like you (as we were) think it's ok to hump everything that moves, and if you get pregnant... cut it out!
It's one of those things you think is Nothing...
You will see how much it means!
You will be ashamed!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
If the main bathroom is occupied then I have no problem with a boy using the girls room.
I certainly don't need any invisible sky pixie to tell me what's right and wrong.
Amongst other things, your religion means defending genocide and infanticide. It means you approve of the murder of homosexuals, as well as anyone else who wishes to exercise religious freedom.
Furthermore, you base your whole moral system on an unproveable supernatural being. You've already demonstrated that this means you're prepared to kill for those morals.
You'll excuse me if I prefer the foundation of good solid non-belief for building my ethics. My morals can be based on verifiable common interests, known causes and known consequences.
One thing you forget... you cannot even use words like Morals, Good, and ethics, as those are religious words...
No! you can only use words like Preference...
You do not WANT to do what it takes to get proof of God, because
you are Afraid to KNOW what we Know!
God is real, and in Romans 1... it proves you do too!
Imagine... a Book that spoke of you... Long ago!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Except your god's great plan is a failure. Of all the humans who have ever lived and who are yet to live - only a small amount will end up in heaven.
Seems to me that the red one wins - he gets most of the souls.
What does the red one win?
Damnation???
Oh that's a good one!
If that's the case, I hope you are in the short line!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't expect any god to step in and save the children and babies because I don't believe in any gods.
However Y and A doesn't only believe in his god but he also believes his god personally stepped in and helped him out.
When Y and A sees the thousands of children and babies that die every day, he must think that his god values his life far more than he values theirs.
Not at all!
I know children that die, go straight to the Father!
I on the other hand, I have to stay here, and contend with
people that are wise in their own conceit!
I will be here until His return, Internet gets wiped out, or
until He says otherwise!
If one of you opens your eyes to see... it will be worth it!
Thank you Jesus!
Amen!
amanda

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

There would be nothing wrong with teaching the bible from a scholarly, historical perspective. Maybe have classes on the major religions as well. Any text that tells us so much about who we are is certainly of great academic value. However, the bible should not be taught in amanner that seeks to convert. Yes, that would be wrong and unfair to children who aren't christian. Just imagine if your child was being forced to learn the koran in a manner that wasn't purely scholarly.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Consider this:
A perfect and omniscient entity like the god of the Bible (who we hear is positively overflowing with love for his people) creates a primitive and barbaric justice system and expects his creation to enact it.
or
A primitive and barbaric people produce tales of a primitive and barbaric god who wants his followers to follow a primitive and barbaric justice system. Which, co-incidentally, is the only kind of justice these people know.
I know which one I would opt for.
I'd opt for neither, because they're both the same.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't expect any god to step in and save the children and babies because I don't believe in any gods.
However Y and A doesn't only believe in his god but he also believes his god personally stepped in and helped him out.
When Y and A sees the thousands of children and babies that die every day, he must think that his god values his life far more than he values theirs.
Why would any one keep harping on such a delusionary type scenario then? It makes no sense.

Perhaps you shouldn't speak for what someone else might (or even more so) might NOT, "think".

When something is helpful posatively for people, and it's of no harm to others, then it IS valuable.

Please don't EVER attempt to chair anything like AA meetings (or anything similar).
You're extreme negativety would poison the decades enduring program, and that would NOT be good for people. Not at all.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't believe in untold billions of people being tortured for eternity by the god of the Bible?
I believe there was much suffering on earth amongst many people through out the civilization as we know know it, and I believe the Bible is one recorded documentation of some of it.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a scientist but when it comes to explaining our reality I do believe in the unparalleled success of the scientific method.
Just because it hasn't found answers for everything doesn't mean the answer is superstition and myth.
<quoted text>
They don't but your belief in them shows how low you set the bar when it comes to evidence of your god.
<quoted text>
From your bible - cleansing ritual for lepers.
Get two birds. Kill one. Dip the live bird in the blood of the dead one. Sprinkle the blood on the leper seven times, and then let the blood-soaked bird fly away.
Next find a lamb and kill it. Wipe some of its blood on the patient's right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle seven times with oil and wipe some of the oil on his right ear, thumb and big toe.
Repeat.
Finally, find another pair of birds. Kill one and dip the live bird in the dead bird's blood. Wipe some blood on the patient's right ear, thumb, and big toe. Sprinkle the house with blood 7 times.
There - that's all there is to it
In the 1800's when "consumption" (ie: tuberculosis) was at plague levels, people thought those affilcted with it had been poisoned by vampires.
Some of the remedies attempted were pretty gruesome-even having the exact opposite intention of "curing", when in fact, it just spread the (then unknown at the time) germ worse.
-------
"Physicians in ancient Greece called this illness "phthisis" to reflect its wasting character. During the 17th and 18th centuries, TB caused up to 25% of all deaths in Europe. In more recent times, tuberculosis has been called "consumption."

•Robert Koch isolated the tubercle bacillus in 1882 and established TB as an infectious disease.
&#9702;In the 19th century, patients were isolated in sanatoria and given treatments such as injecting air into the chest cavity. Attempts were made to decrease lung size by surgery called thoracoplasty.
&#9702;During the first half of the 20th century, no effective treatment was available.
&#9702;Streptomycin, the first antibiotic to fight TB, was introduced in 1946, and isoniazid (Laniazid, Nydrazid), originally an antidepressant medication, became available in 1952.
( emedicinehealth.com )
------

Not until 1952..1952... did any actual scientific "breakthrough" in treatment become available.

Does that mean that all of humanity was just "dark age stupid" until such time?

I don't think so. It just means it took THAT long, to find treatment that worked.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

non believer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes a joke and google is one of the tools to debunk and help those in a cult to think they may be fooled by charlatans.
Example:
"I'm praying to Jesus to bless these ink pens and to those who will donate money to build a christian ministry in north korea for the unsaved children souls that has been denied the water of life. I will sent each and every one of you these blessed ink pens with baby Jesus picture on them for you donation "
How many I wonder would send money. A lawyer that appears on T.V. holding a bible in his hand to show clients he is a honest and righteous man.
I had the pleasure many years ago, of corresponding with a lovely person, who was part of a ministry that brought clean, running water and a small educational system to a rather remote area of people in Papua, New Guinee.
Met her in a laundromatt one day-while she was in between assignments...both of us being the down to earth, simple, humble living types, we just struck up a pleasant conversation that day.

She never asked for a penny, not the first time, through out the whole time we corresponded. Just friendly correspondences from Papua, New Guinee and back to state side US, while she was helping (quite HUMBLY then still I might add) make the world better for people in remote places.

What if no one ever supported THAT type of work (as you seem to suggest people are fooliish to do so?)
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You might have gained a grain of credibility if you'd ever addressed YaA and Curious with the same indignant self-righteousness you reserve for skeptics. But you didn't and so are still just a troll.
YaA is just usually defending his faith...something he really shouldn't have to do, but it gives you bonehead types something to whine about so...I then say-carry on, right back at 'em YaA.

You have something against nice trolls? At least I don't have a troll booth schemed and plotted, waiting on you duhmazz wormy types.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a counterfeit you are not the real "Known Fact"
You aren't registered, and since you've always been in the infra-red when it comes to having any "known facts", you have less right to the moniker, anyway.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>God gave the ok to torture Job.
Do you condemn god for this?
How many times do I have to say-I am not into all that CONdemnation stuff. So you can stop torturing about it.
(if I take a notion to reread all that however, I'll let ya know)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Laurel County was issued at August 20 at 4:00PM EDT

•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Keavy News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Keavy