Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#113681 Sep 26, 2013
Objective Onlooker wrote:
Haven't contributed to this never-ending argument in a while, so here we go.
I will support a person's right to worship, or not to worship, whatever deity they choose to, so long as they aren't trying to force other people to conform to it through legislation, and they aren't trying to get special treatment because of it. However, I don't think religion has any place in publicly funded schools. Regardless of your political leaning, the concept of "separation of church and state" is one idea that I think makes this nation great. If you want your kids to attend a school that teaches around a religious philosophy, there are plenty of private schools that do just that. However, in publicly funded schools, I feel like religion has no business being taught. In my opinion, one religious ideology is just as plausible as the next. 2,000 years ago, Zeus was just as real as the Christian God is now, and people would kill you for blaspheming against him. Whether you believe in talking snakes and virgin births or in following a path to enlightenment, they were all invented by human beings to explain things that couldn't be explained at the time. Some of them may be loosely based on historical fact, but I think teaching religion to young people teaches them not to question reality. As an adult, you can make the executive decision to keep your faith and still seek out answers, but I think it's a bad idea to start indoctrinating children from the day they're born. If they don't understand something, and they've been raised in a religious environment, they are far more likely to be satisfied with saying "God did it" then actually expanding their horizon and seeking out an answer. In an institution of learning, especially one funded by the tax dollars of everybody from Hindus to Christians to Atheists, I believe introducing one religious belief or another, no matter what you think of how right or wrong that particular faith is, would do a disservice to the primary function of that institution by teaching children that it's OK not to ask the hard questions about things we don't yet understand, and it would offend a lot more people than it would help.
I agree with you. Can you explain how the RELIGION of EVOLUTION crept unnoticed into the tax funded public school system?
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#113682 Sep 26, 2013
idk wrote:
<quoted text>
im not hidin any identity and im not LODI, my name is actually george if u must know and i dont have any idea who LODI is. u are more than welcome to meet me face to face to debate this if u want, i dont hide behind screen names and all that, ill stand up for what i believe any where at any time. if it wasnt for the religious makin stem cell research and all that taboo and in turn gettin laws passed to stop scientist from researching it is why u havent seen science make life yet in my opinion. of course it wont be poof there it is but i have no doubt that life could be created from just elements and the right conditions but in order to get that life to what we are would take the millions of yrs of evolution just as it did for us to evolve to this. and im glad u can copy and paste someone elses work but that dont change anything just becuz a religious person wrote an article like that. there are many religious ppl that work in the science field but they tend to lead the evidence to the outcome instead of lettin the evidence lead them to the outcome.
Life—How Did It Start?
LIFE is everywhere around us. It is evident in the humming of insects, the singing of birds, the rustlings of small animals in the underbrush. It exists in the icy polar regions and in parched deserts. It is present from the sea’s sunlit surface to its darkest depths. High in the atmosphere tiny creatures float about. Beneath our feet untold trillions of microorganisms are at work in the soil, making it fertile for the growing of green plants, which sustain other forms of life.
Earth is packed with life so abundant and varied as to stagger the imagination. How did it all start? This planet of ours and all its inhabitants—how did they come to be here? More particularly, how did humankind get started? Did we evolve from apelike animals? Or were we created? Just how did we get here? And what does the answer imply for the future? Questions like these have been around for a long time and they are still unanswered in the minds of many.
Perhaps you feel that these questions do not really affect you. You may think:‘It doesn’t matter how I got here—I’m here. And I’ll probably live for 60, 70 or maybe 80 years—who knows? But whether we were created or we evolved, it changes nothing for me now.’ On the contrary, it could change a great deal—how long you live, the way you live, the conditions under which you live. How so? Because our entire attitude toward life and the future is influenced by our viewpoint on the origin of life. And how life came to be here will definitely affect the future course of history and our place in it.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#113683 Sep 26, 2013
Differing Viewpoints
In the view of many who accept the theory of evolution, life will always be made up of intense competition, with strife, hatred, wars and death. Some even feel that man may destroy himself in the near future. A prominent scientist stated:“We may have only another few decades until Doomsday.. . . the development of nuclear weapons and their delivery systems will, sooner or later, lead to global disaster.” Even if this did not happen soon, many believe that when a person’s life span runs out in death he is then nonexistent forever. Others feel that, in the future, all life on earth will end. They theorize that the sun will expand into a red giant star, and as it does,“the oceans will boil, the atmosphere will evaporate away to space and a catastrophe of the most immense proportions imaginable will overtake our planet.”
Recoiling from these conclusions are the “scientific creationists.” But their interpretation of the Genesis creation account has led them to claim that the earth is only 6,000 years old and that the six “days” allowed in Genesis for creation were each only 24 hours long. But does such an idea accurately represent what the Bible is saying? Was the earth, and all its life forms, created in just six literal days? Or is there a reasonable alternative?
In considering questions related to the origin of life, popular opinion or emotion sway many. To avoid this and to reach accurate conclusions, we need to consider the evidence with an open mind. It is interesting to note, too, that even evolution’s best-known advocate, Charles Darwin, indicated an awareness of his theory’s limitations. In his conclusion to The Origin of Species, he wrote of the grandeur of the “view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one,” thus making it evident that the subject of origins was open to further examination.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#113684 Sep 26, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. Can you explain how the RELIGION of EVOLUTION crept unnoticed into the tax funded public school system?
Evolution is a scientific theory. I wouldn't really call it a religion since it doesn't aspire to certain principles, center around a deity, prescribe a way of life or provide for consequences or punishment dependent on your performance while alive. It just attempts to explain the gradual mutation of species on this planet as they continually reproduce and adjust to changing environments. Google can show you thousands of recorded examples of it happening, actual observations with recorded results, so it's not like Charles Darwin just invented a church of evolution and told everybody we evolved from apes, and if we're all good people we'll go to monkey heaven. He actually traveled the world and observed the world and its animals before he realized what was happening to cause gradual changes over time to become permanent changes to how species look and behave.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#113685 Sep 26, 2013
That's not to say that "Evolution" is the gospel truth and is all that should be taught, but it is an imporant scientific theory that can be observed in nature. As such, I think it's important kids at least be taught about it, just like they should be taught about the affect religion has had on human history, good and bad. I just don't think science class should turn into sunday school.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#113686 Sep 27, 2013
So true wrote:
<quoted text> I do agree with u. But we can't go back either.
No going back... Amen!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#113687 Sep 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_of_Jesus
Cardinal Bergoglio became known for personal humility, doctrinal conservatism and a commitment to social justice.[70] A simple lifestyle contributed to his reputation for humility. He lived in a small apartment, rather than in the elegant bishop's residence in the suburb of Olivos. He took public transportation and cooked his own meals.[71] He limited his time in Rome to "lightning visits"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Francis
I will say YaA, I always have to chuckle at the ones who think there's only "one" specific "religious institution" that is exclusively the "right one".
Never did believe that type bull hockey doodoo for a minute.
Twelve tribes-One religion?
Nope....not buying that kind of junk.:-).
Daniel 7
7:25 And he shall speak [great] words against the most High, and
shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change
times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a
time and times and the dividing of time.
7:26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his
dominion to consume and to destroy [it] to the end.

What did Constantine do to get pagans into his form of Christianity???
He changed the Sabbath to Sunday, AND cut out the Second Commandment, and divided the Tenth!
Now... what is this new pope teaching????
Sure... He sounds like the best guy ever!
Revelations has something to say about that too!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#113688 Sep 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Belief in God is part of human nature - Oxford study
Humans are naturally predisposed to believe in gods and life after death, according to a major three-year international study.
Human beings are naturally predisposed to believe in God, according to an Oxford University study.
By Tim Ross, Religious Affairs Editor
8:17PM BST 12 May 2011
Led by two academics at Oxford University, the £1.9 million study found that human thought processes were “rooted” to religious concepts.
But people living in cities in highly developed countries were less likely to hold religious beliefs than those living a more rural way of life, the researchers found.
The project involved 57 academics in 20 countries around the world, and spanned disciplines including anthropology, psychology, and philosophy.
It set out to establish whether belief in divine beings and an afterlife were ideas simply learned from society or integral to human nature.
One of the studies, from Oxford, concluded that children below the age of five found it easier to believe in some “superhuman” properties than to understand human limitations.
Related Articles
ONS: A quarter of Britons have 'no religion at all'
28 Sep 2011
Being 'forgiven' makes people more generous, psychologists find
06 Dec 2012
Children were asked whether their mother would know the contents of a closed box. Three-year-olds believed that their mother and God would always know the contents, but by the age of four, children start to understand that their mothers were not omniscient.
Separate research from China suggested that people across different cultures instinctively believed that some part of their mind, soul or spirit lived on after death.
The co-director of the project, Professor Roger Trigg, from the University of Oxford, said the research showed that religion was “not just something for a peculiar few to do on Sundays instead of playing golf”.
“We have gathered a body of evidence that suggests that religion is a common fact of human nature across different societies,” he said.
“This suggests that attempts to suppress religion are likely to be short-lived as human thought seems to be rooted to religious concepts, such as the existence of supernatural agents or gods, and the possibility of an afterlife or pre-life.”
Dr Justin Barrett, from the University of Oxford’s Centre for Anthropology and Mind, who directed the project, said faith may persist in diverse cultures across the world because people who share the bonds of religion “might be more likely to cooperate as societies”.
“Interestingly, we found that religion is less likely to thrive in populations living in cities in developed nations where there is already a strong social support network.”
Great post!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#113689 Sep 27, 2013
Evilution is a Faith based belief!
Never has been;
Verifiable,
Observable,
or
testable!
Pure conjecture from God haters, and
has NO place in OUR Schools!
Life did not come from a rock, or pond scum!
A dog yesterday is still a dog today, and tomorrow!
"Believe" what you want...
God is real... Get to know Him...
You'll be glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#113690 Sep 27, 2013
Read the Book of Daniel...
Great insights on what's happening today!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113691 Sep 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
O'Rielly's fun to watch--REAL, and Independent voters are cool like that, so there.
I already knew that you have an odd sense of "fun." Calling himself an "independent voter" (wink, wink) is a whopper of a stretch - but then his channel's "fair and balanced" claim is, too.
"...so there."
BTW, why don't you change the moniker to "Sista Na-nYA!"? It's a better fit.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#113692 Sep 27, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain why Jehovah's Witnesses are tax exempt by the wild beast aka " government" to teach religion as fact?

Roseville, CA

#113693 Sep 27, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain why Jehovah's Witnesses "Watchtower Society and Churches" are tax exempt by the wild beast aka " government" to teach religion as fact?
SistaNoneYa

Somerset, KY

#113694 Sep 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Daniel 7
7:25 And he shall speak [great] words against the most High, and
shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change
times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a
time and times and the dividing of time.
7:26 But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his
dominion to consume and to destroy [it] to the end.
What did Constantine do to get pagans into his form of Christianity???
He changed the Sabbath to Sunday, AND cut out the Second Commandment, and divided the Tenth!
Now... what is this new pope teaching????
Sure... He sounds like the best guy ever!
Revelations has something to say about that too!
That makes me want to sprinkle Holy water around your computer YaA.:-)

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#113696 Sep 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your lack of understanding has led you astray as has your attempts to hide your identity as LODI.
Seriously?.... Well Curious, seems I am a man of constant, perpetual change eh? To date, you have accused me of being MD, Crom, Q, SS, and now idk, and the beat goes on in your lil pea brain head! If we all are still enough we can hear it's echo as that single brain cell rattles around like a p-nut in a whiskey barrel. At least you're consistent ~
SistaNoneYa

Somerset, KY

#113697 Sep 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I already knew that you have an odd sense of "fun." Calling himself an "independent voter" (wink, wink) is a whopper of a stretch - but then his channel's "fair and balanced" claim is, too.
"...so there."
BTW, why don't you change the moniker to "Sista Na-nYA!"? It's a better fit.
Are you saying you don't believe he's been a reg'd Ind voter for over a decade plus?

News channels are news channels-reporting all the same stuff-at least to those with a half a brain cell that can recognize the difference between news and opinion.
Just some of them have more pleasant all duh worlds a stage atmospheres and stuff.

10 in 3 ...taking guesstimates for a box of donuts LOL.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#113698 Sep 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you saying you don't believe he's been a reg'd Ind voter for over a decade plus?
News channels are news channels-reporting all the same stuff-at least to those with a half a brain cell that can recognize the difference between news and opinion.
Just some of them have more pleasant all duh worlds a stage atmospheres and stuff.
10 in 3 ...taking guesstimates for a box of donuts LOL.
I'm saying calling stinkweed lavender doesn't make is smell any better. It doesn't matter what he's registered as or what empty rhetoric he totes when his undercurrent is purely partisan.

Roseville, CA

#113699 Sep 27, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying calling stinkweed lavender doesn't make is smell any better. It doesn't matter what he's registered as or what empty rhetoric he totes when his undercurrent is purely partisan.
Pitchfork doesn't like haters ironic she loves O'Reilly.

O'Reilly said that it was "absolutely true" that he hated Hannity, but added that he hated "everyone."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/05/sean...
curious

Ocoee, FL

#113700 Sep 27, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously?.... Well Curious, seems I am a man of constant, perpetual change eh? To date, you have accused me of being MD, Crom, Q, SS, and now idk, and the beat goes on in your lil pea brain head! If we all are still enough we can hear it's echo as that single brain cell rattles around like a p-nut in a whiskey barrel. At least you're consistent ~
Much like The Soggy Bottom Boys from Pikeville Kentucky , you are a Man of Constant Sorrows as epitomized in the Movies.

There are those on Topix who change their monokers , pretending to be someone else.
Others make up monikers in an attempt to mimick someone who is currently posting.
The very potent brain cell that I posses has the ability to differentiate between the impostors when they attempt their chicanery.
Tell Actually George that Sue says hi.
Kentucky rains keep falling down on the waterlogged heads of Pikeville atheists and they don't know enough to come in outa the rain....

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

#113702 Sep 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like The Soggy Bottom Boys from Pikeville Kentucky , you are a Man of Constant Sorrows as epitomized in the Movies.
There are those on Topix who change their monokers , pretending to be someone else.
Others make up monikers in an attempt to mimick someone who is currently posting.
The very potent brain cell that I posses has the ability to differentiate between the impostors when they attempt their chicanery.
Tell Actually George that Sue says hi.
Kentucky rains keep falling down on the waterlogged heads of Pikeville atheists and they don't know enough to come in outa the rain....

Yeah, and according to you, I'm the best that's ever been!! And the next Moniker that darkens this room with a Pikeville location will be me too...Hell Curious, just get it over with and accuse me of being everybody that is posting in this room,{other than yourself of course}, but with your delusional mind, that's not a far stretch with your imagination.
Allow me to TRY and make this as clear as I possibly can to you, I have no need to come in this room with another Moniker, I am not a child, and I don't play games. If other's feel the need to do this, that is their choice.
I find it interesting that you failed to answer the valid question idk asked you... why is that? How about you focus on that instead of this diversionary tactic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rootbeer stand RAISED prices 29 min Anti Garlic 2
Dr Gilbert 55 min Becky 3
6000 stores to close because of obama 1 hr ECON101 2
add a word--drop a word (Apr '10) 3 hr Doug77 965
lib dem burn down Baltimore 3 hr andy 35
Shawna Tackett Sex Tape (Oct '10) 7 hr GDIT 5
lib calls for police to disarm 10 hr american and proud 6
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE