Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
108,261 - 108,280 of 130,447 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix program "Jump to Page" for a reason. To recall what someone may have said on the tread and to call them out in a debate or get updated on the debate.
Sorry you do not like the technology provided by Topix to do this. I have no record of stalking anyone anywhere. Your reasoning is flawed.
I'm not a fan of yours. You are judge by what you say here and do. You seem to have no problem juding me or others with your name calling.
You don't what to be labled a christian then God would see you as someone he would vomit out of his mouth. You are neither hot or cold but lukewarm.
rev:3-16
So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of My mouth.
I have no reason to debate with you any longer. I find you disturbing.
and I have NO problem with the the no brainer "post look up by poster name feature" of topicks.

Unless it is used as a tool to abuse and stalk others. Then I complain to the RIGHT places, as per TOA.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Hellfire—Is It Part of Divine Justice?
Have you ever seen someone tortured? We hope not. Deliberate torture is sickening and abhorrent. What, though, of torture inflicted by God? Can you imagine such a thing? Yet, this is exactly what is implied by the teaching of hellfire, an official doctrine in many religions.
Imagine, for a moment, the following horrific scene: A person is being roasted on a hot iron plate. In his agony he screams for mercy, but nobody listens. The torture goes on and on, hour after hour, day after day—without pause!
Whatever crime the victim may have committed, would not your heart go out to him? What of the one who ordered the torture? Could he be a loving person? In no way! Love is merciful and shows pity. A loving father may punish his children, but he would never torture them!
Nevertheless, many religions teach that God tortures sinners in an eternal hellfire. This, it is claimed, is divine justice. If that is true, who created that terrible place of eternal torment? And who is responsible for the excruciating agonies inflicted there? The answers would seem obvious. If such a place really exists, then God would have to be the creator of it, and he would be responsible for what happens there.
Can you accept that? The Bible says:“God is love.”(1 John 4:8) Would a God of love inflict torture that even humans with any measure of decency find revolting? Surely not!
An Unreasonable Teaching
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
Yeah.... sista, Tell Known Fact What religion you are.
Laughing my ash off
This should be interesting
The Unorganized, Non specific, Unindoctrinated, Independent Constitutional right bearing of the freedom for the people of the Civil, ethical and humane treatment of humanity, one.
Get all that?

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
The Unorganized, Non specific, Unindoctrinated, Independent Constitutional right bearing of the freedom for the people of the Civil, ethical and humane treatment of humanity, one.
Get all that?
Figured as much, you do indeed share a common link with Thomas Jefferson, you cut and paste portions of the bible to fit into your lifestyle when convenient. Then have the audacity to say someone else's opinion is wrong. You are not only a hypocrite, you are a Coward!! Everyone on this thread has my respect, except those who cannot commit themselves to either being a believer or non believer! those people as SS said...{luke-warms} have no business commenting on threads such as this!

Since: Sep 13

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Get all that?
Aka... C.R.O.C.K Chameleon of Religion/Christianity Knucklehead!

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Known Fact wrote:
Hellfire—Is It Part of Divine Justice?
Have you ever seen someone tortured? We hope not. Deliberate torture is sickening and abhorrent. What, though, of torture inflicted by God? Can you imagine such a thing? Yet, this is exactly what is implied by the teaching of hellfire, an official doctrine in many religions.
Imagine, for a moment, the following horrific scene: A person is being roasted on a hot iron plate. In his agony he screams for mercy, but nobody listens. The torture goes on and on, hour after hour, day after day—without pause!
Whatever crime the victim may have committed, would not your heart go out to him? What of the one who ordered the torture? Could he be a loving person? In no way! Love is merciful and shows pity. A loving father may punish his children, but he would never torture them!
Nevertheless, many religions teach that God tortures sinners in an eternal hellfire. This, it is claimed, is divine justice. If that is true, who created that terrible place of eternal torment? And who is responsible for the excruciating agonies inflicted there? The answers would seem obvious. If such a place really exists, then God would have to be the creator of it, and he would be responsible for what happens there.
Can you accept that? The Bible says:“God is love.”(1 John 4:8) Would a God of love inflict torture that even humans with any measure of decency find revolting? Surely not!
An Unreasonable Teaching
Are those teaching eternal torment blaspheming God? What about those who claim they have cast out demons by the power of Gods Holy Spirit, are they endanger of everlasting destruction by God?

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Are those teaching eternal torment blaspheming God? What about those who claim they have cast out demons by the power of Gods Holy Spirit, are they endanger of everlasting destruction by God?
Do you mean, for instance, like Yaa?*gasp*

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah blah blah....and from the ages of 15 on up-YES, I did, and beyond the k-12 even. Is that too complex a concept for you to fathom????
Does it bother you that SOME did not depend on the givverment and rather instead, WORKED and Earned of their OWN merit? All the while, while taking care of others even????
Too bad.
Evade, divert, obscure. You did not send yourself through elementary school and I seriously doubt you paid any tuition of your own prior to college - even if you went to a private high school. In short, you did not pay for your primary education. Further, I would bet that you did suck from the public teat with BEOG or Pell grants. WE THE PEOPLE bought you books and sent you to school, but as the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse....
As far as any backhanded insinuations about myself, I earned my first printed paycheck at 14 and I've paid for 28 years of private tuition simultaneously with property taxes for public education - and it doesn't bother me a bit. Did YOUR kids go to public school? You're welcome, keep the change.
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>You, are just religiousestablishmentarianism .
And it's not my problem if you cannot differentiate medical from clergy, secular school buildings from church buildings OR read the numbered pages of resumes as they might be presented. Maybe try pulling your fingers out from having them stuck up your nose first next time.
And no, I have my own vice grips. Whinebag.
I CLEARLY differentiate medical needs and protocols from religious whims and bias. I CLEARLY differentiate the public trust from religious holdings. Might I suggest:
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Blog_Ima...

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean, for instance, like Yaa?*gasp*
You are a awesome witch, aWitchintheWoods.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Figured as much, you do indeed share a common link with Thomas Jefferson, you cut and paste portions of the bible to fit into your lifestyle when convenient. Then have the audacity to say someone else's opinion is wrong. You are not only a hypocrite, you are a Coward!! Everyone on this thread has my respect, except those who cannot commit themselves to either being a believer or non believer! those people as SS said...{luke-warms} have no business commenting on threads such as this!
Having and maintaining a moral Conscience is my "God" based upon many varying things learned very early on, from many different sources-including religious institutions, as well as secular.
I do not "hate" the Bible, I just choose to look for the GOOD in it, rather than obsess on the bad parts-Especially just to try and use them to CONDEMN others in warped sick, twisted distortions.
I am a believer in "higher powers". Very much so, and think only fools would not be.
That you would want to exclude any, tells me, your OWN "hot/cold" belief LACKS and is not a very good faith, or you would not be condemning anyone else, for posting on a thread about the Bible.

----------
I will never leave you nor forsake you.—Hebrews 13:5
----------
When a sudden change in technology made his job obsolete, a highly trained scientist found himself working in a fast-food restaurant. One evening after our Bible study he described the situation as difficult and humbling. He said,“One good thing I can say is that the young people there seem very interested in my faith.” A member of the group responded,“I admire you for being humble. I know your faith must have something to do with it.”

Like my acquaintance, Philip may have wondered why God would pull him off an assignment in Samaria (Acts 8:4-8) and plop him in the middle of the desert (v.26). But then he found that the Ethiopian needed help understanding the Scriptures (vv.27-35), and his place made sense.

When Jesus promised He would never leave us alone (Matt. 28:20; Heb. 13:5), He meant in the hard times as well as in the good times. Our mission in the difficult seasons of life is to work or serve remembering we are doing it for God, and then to watch as God works to accomplish His purposes.

Look for God in your difficult place and discover what He’s doing in and through you there.

Disappointment—His appointment,
No good thing will He withhold;
From denials oft we gather
Treasures of His love untold.—Young

----------

I believe in this type of thing.

Do you?
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Aka... C.R.O.C.K Chameleon of Religion/Christianity Knucklehead!
Charlatans are real easy to see through-for some of us anyway :-)
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Evade, divert, obscure. You did not send yourself through elementary school and I seriously doubt you paid any tuition of your own prior to college - even if you went to a private high school. In short, you did not pay for your primary education. Further, I would bet that you did suck from the public teat with BEOG or Pell grants. WE THE PEOPLE bought you books and sent you to school, but as the saying goes, you can't make a silk purse....
As far as any backhanded insinuations about myself, I earned my first printed paycheck at 14 and I've paid for 28 years of private tuition simultaneously with property taxes for public education - and it doesn't bother me a bit. Did YOUR kids go to public school? You're welcome, keep the change.
<quoted text>
I CLEARLY differentiate medical needs and protocols from religious whims and bias. I CLEARLY differentiate the public trust from religious holdings. Might I suggest:
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Blog_Ima...
No chromolio-you the people did not pay for ANY of MY college education.
Books included.

As in absolutely NO grants. Such does exist in my working world. That is part of the reasons why I WORKED.

I WORKED and earned my higher education, and paid for every bit of it myself.
And I have no problem with having done that...it is a successful accomplishment, ie: NOT anything that I need be "ashamed" about.

As far as prior to that, my parents WORKED, as did myself. K-9 were public schools (with great teachers) and NO I did not attend any private school, in high school I attended a "state" school. Much more stringently aligned per certain requirements than a general public school (entrance exams required).

My children have attended public schools, that is what we have paid years of taxes for. They have also (still are..and still yet to be) worked at furthering their own edus as well-honestly, of their own merits as well. Being the children of working class parents that they are-grants have always been out of their reach as well.
So no, certainly NO easy, continual free ride anything (including PELLs) hand out path has it been for them either.

It is nice to read that some can and do CLEARLY differentiate between the aspects of church and state, because that is how it's SUPPOSED to be.
Anything else would generally lead to trouble of some sort--rather similar to that old saying of mixing "business with pleasure"...because that's when the vagueness of "muddled puddles" over into the realms of not so clearly defined tend to form, for SOME people any, eh Chromolio?

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Tall Tales of The Bible Belt, where burning bushes talk and Bibles float in the air and angels will give you a lift to church, if you don't have one.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/08/prweb42...

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think people should have individual access to remove the threads posted by sociopathic lunaTICS, that are nothing more than the offensive tacTICS at the level of gutter-rats.
Or the public should have instant access to harassment warrants from law enforcement, including an instant fine against Topics, when TOC agreements are not immediately applied or adhered to.
Pitchfork mentality hoping to stifle free speech.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay on track, YaA. The verse is about revenge. So is Hell and the Lake of Fire.
No! that verse had nothing to do with revenge, and neither is hell!
Hell is what you ask for, just as the Gift of Salvation!
It is ultimately the receivers choice!
Do I want door (A), or door (B)???
Easy as that!
There is NO door (C)... get over it!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't believe everything you think because it feels good.
I will Know what I Know!
God is real... Get to know Him, you'll be Glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
I think people should have individual access to remove the threads posted by sociopathic lunaTICS, that are nothing more than the offensive tacTICS at the level of gutter-rats.
Or the public should have instant access to harassment warrants from law enforcement, including an instant fine against Topics, when TOC agreements are not immediately applied or adhered to.
Freedom of speech declares, that they can say whatever ignorance pops in their heads...
What would be cool is...
An "Ignore", or "Block" button, so we could choose not to read them!
I'd imagine, that they wouldn't use them, as they'd have lil to gripe about!
Amen!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays "practice lawlessness" why can't they just pay a fine of 5 dollars just like the religious men who rape virgins?
Theocracy demands death for the children of those you claim are lawless as revenge for violating your beliefs.
This is why we need a secular government without right wing religious extremism in office you grovel for.
I actually think that, that term for rape, would be more classified as
Having premarital sex!
But with todays values... who cares if you get a used equipment???
Virginity is a precious Gift to a spouse!
I hope your husband doesn't have to wonder about
all the other guys who'd been there first!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Hiya SS,
"Gays "practice lawlessness" why can't they just pay a fine of 5 dollars just like the religious men who rape virgins?"
Because religies believe females are chattel.
"Because religies believe females are chattel"
You just cannot help lying... can ya?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2013

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi LOL,
Good day to you. The religies want females to kneel and be subservient to them or be beaten in some manner.
I really don't think my religion feels that way!
Proverbs
31:10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price [is] far
above rubies.
31:11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that
he shall have no need of spoil.
31:12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her
life.
How do you get a virtuous woman?
I guess, you'd have to teach them, that they are NOT animals
like YOU guys want to do!
We also teach that Life is precious... unlike YOU guys!
So... I guess... YOU guys are full of lies!
What's those morals you keep touting???

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min Limbertwig 151,016
CB's Roadhouse 14 min Local Person 6
Debate: Ferguson - London, KY 25 min londonhates 21
Get a job 31 min Wow 4
Volunteering Social Tourism Vs. Social Labor 32 min Manoj 1
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 39 min hey 1,044
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr U go girl 16,143
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Keavy News, Events & Info