Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,378)

Showing posts 107,541 - 107,560 of127,924
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

let wrote:
Let them study the Bible. It's not gonna hurt anyone.
Let them study the Koran. It's not gonna hurt anyone.

Maybe you have never heard of secularism. It is not always about hurt, but more about religious freedom. Try it in your own backyard.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I can not grasp what you said because you have said nothing that I could hear. I have read what you have WRITTEN ,which according to you , I should consider as " the pitiful writings of men"
Your explanation about the chicken should be featured on a comedy show.
You are alluding to an unwitnessed event that no one knows took place ,where it took place or when it took place.
other than , according to you "Chicken and Chicken Egg occurred at the exact same instant when the first person Name the foul he converted"
But I could be wrong ,, Were you there ? or did someone tell you about it? If so ,was it hundreds of years after this event took place?
You know where I am going with that ...I will go no further.
LOL
Ever heard of a detective that could solve UN-witnessed crimes by putting evidence together?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes ,Sir Isaac Newton dealt with those issues ,way back when;
Isaac Newton
In a paper of a few pages, entitled A Short Scheme of the True Religion he discusses Godliness, Atheism, Idolatry and Humanity, or our duty to man. Relevant to Creation he wrote:
... Can it be by accident that all birds, beasts, and men have their right side and left side alike shaped,(except in their bowels,) and just two eyes, and no more, on either side of the face; and just two ears on either side of the head, and a nose with two holes; and either two fore- legs, or two wings, or two arms on the shoulders, and two legs on the hips, and no more? Whence arises this uniformity in all their outward shapes but from the counsel and contrivances of an Author? Whence is it that the eyes of all sorts of living creatures are transparent to the very bottom, and the only transparent members in the body, having on the outside a hard transparent skin, and within transparent humours, with a crystalline lens in the middle, and a pupil before the lens, all of them so finely shaped and fitted for vision, that no artist can mend them? Did blind chance know that there was light, and what was its refraction, and fit the eyes of all creatures, after the most curious manner, to make use of it? These, and suchlike considerations, always have, and ever will prevail with mankind, to believe that there is a Being who made all things, and has all things in his power, and who is therefore to be feared.
BTW You need to keep taking that Outsiders test till you get it right. Which will be never...
Try the God test...If you diligently seek me , you will find me.
You need only take it once ,,,,Given you accurately follow the instructions....
Well Sir Isaac Newton lived before the theory of evolution. But I see you assume he knew all.

Evolution is not exactly "blind chance".
The eye, and its evolution has been shown to have evolved bit by bit. Its complexity is reducible. The light of the sun can be felt by nerves, even without an eye that focuses upon it. But as this slow eventual focusing group of cells gather, it eventually becomes a spot. We can see this spot in some animals, many worms, today. All building points of the eye can be seen in some animal today. And not all eyes evolved the same. Humans are a bit backwards, this is why we have much poorer vision than many other animals.

Now the creationists will still insist the eye is irreducibly complex, but this is only a lie, or ignorance. The steps can be shown clearly if only one looks at the actual science.

This argument was used in the court case for ID. And the science was so sound, it nailed the coffin for ID in the public classroom in this case.

Newton broke some ground for science. It was the beginning of a new movement for science. It was far from the last word on science.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes ,Sir Isaac Newton dealt with those issues ,way back when;
Isaac Newton
In a paper of a few pages, entitled A Short Scheme of the True Religion he discusses Godliness, Atheism, Idolatry and Humanity, or our duty to man. Relevant to Creation he wrote:
... Can it be by accident that all birds, beasts, and men have their right side and left side alike shaped,(except in their bowels,) and just two eyes, and no more, on either side of the face; and just two ears on either side of the head, and a nose with two holes; and either two fore- legs, or two wings, or two arms on the shoulders, and two legs on the hips, and no more? Whence arises this uniformity in all their outward shapes but from the counsel and contrivances of an Author? Whence is it that the eyes of all sorts of living creatures are transparent to the very bottom, and the only transparent members in the body, having on the outside a hard transparent skin, and within transparent humours, with a crystalline lens in the middle, and a pupil before the lens, all of them so finely shaped and fitted for vision, that no artist can mend them? Did blind chance know that there was light, and what was its refraction, and fit the eyes of all creatures, after the most curious manner, to make use of it? These, and suchlike considerations, always have, and ever will prevail with mankind, to believe that there is a Being who made all things, and has all things in his power, and who is therefore to be feared.
BTW You need to keep taking that Outsiders test till you get it right. Which will be never...
Try the God test...If you diligently seek me , you will find me.
You need only take it once ,,,,Given you accurately follow the instructions....
So you do have more in common with apes than a banana appetite? So you are ready to take back your earlier claims?
You are very much like an ape. Now get over yourself and admit it.

Since: Feb 12

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Jehovah’s Witnesses—Who Are We?
Sales and marketing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

JCototheburn wrote:
So what is the purpose of this topic? Just to argue with each other till the end of the world? Truly this is not how one should live life. What makes this such and interesting topic to bash each other. And what of man kind role in this?
There have been studies on religion much deeper then this pathetic little fight you guys are having over this. In the study, they research every religion ever known to man kind. Two things show up in all the religions, can you guess what it is?
1) They claim to be the right religion of all religion.
2) They point to one Deity.
Some where down the line, religion got reworked, remade, re-translated. It seems that the closest religion to be correct, is no other then Wicca. Given, lets break this down. Can you tell me the names of the King of Gods in Greek and in Egypt? By chance, could that be the same God with a different name? Make it more simple for Christians to understand this. Even the Bible says God is known for many names, does it not say that? What if by chance, Jehovah is also Zeus? Maybe Hercules was Jesus.
What if there is a god, but not the way most religion believe nor see it nor understand it. Wicca nickname is called Old Religion, but was made over to this age to better understood. Wicca believes that there is one Deity, and everything makes up that Deity. Gods and Goddess, demigods as well. Take one out and the Deity is for ever lost.
I do not bash Christians, but I do use them for example because they are well known but sadly to say, can not agree with each other as well. If you study the religions carefully with an open minded, you can tell that different angels from the Bible, are gods or goddess in religion. Who is Hades from the Bible, I bet one of the angles starts with a G.
But with people, being open minded is just too much to think over, and no one will ever really give in to hearing out what another person says because they want to be right, they want to believe that something they believed in all their life was true, and not one big lie they lived all their life.
Just something to think about.
You ask why we argue, but this is just what you are doing here.
The greatest difference between humans and other animals is, we can use language so detailed, we can exchange complex ideas. And one way we do this is by debating those ideas.
Writing simply makes one think. At least it does for me.

Just because religions have similarities, does not mean they are of a real god. They have similarities because they are all made of the same sort of mind, the human mind. Many have similarities due to the exchange of ideas from region to region. Yes, I mean the ideas have been borrowed from one another.

And yes, most religions claim to have the correct knowledge, just as you did for yours here. Welcome to the crowd of hubris. It is the human condition. This is why we debate. Welcome to reality.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
Blame John K. Edoga.
It would make just as much NON sense.

Unless John K. Edoga is professing to be a god, who can raise the dead after being entombed for days, your comparison is weak and futile at best!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Some feel it is just a thread to argue on.
Some feel it is about holy myths not being allowed in public schools.
<quoted text>
Yes they are all correct in their own mind.
<quoted text>
A wiccan once said "1) They claim to be the right religion of all religion."
<quoted text>
What if by chance a myth is just a myth.
Maybe a delusion was a delusion.
<quoted text>
For some on this thread your statement rings true. I agree.
Yes they are all correct in their own mind.

JCototheburn wrote:
It seems that the closest religion to be correct, is no other then Wicca.

All religions seem to not recognize a contradiction or irony.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ever heard of a detective that could solve UN-witnessed crimes by putting evidence together?
Yes I have,,,,,,But never by using gibberish and nonsense.
Those cases are readily dismissed when the evidence is based on opinions ,unconfirmed events which can not be explained and other types of nonsense.
How one interprets nonsense does not alter the fact that it is nonsense.
That , in spite of the opinions of those who have adopted Science Fiction as reality.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He Saved Me!
Believe what you want!
You seem to always say this when you have no rebuttal.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No one worships Plato. Plato's words are not hinged upon Plato existing or not. It does not matter if Plato was Plato. It does not matter if the writings attributed to Plato were of Plato.
Plato's words are just food for thought. No one need hinge his worldview on Plato's every word. He is free to accept of not accept his philosophies. No threats of eternal lakes of fire come with Plato's advice. Plato makes no demands. He is simply a philosopher and claims to be no more than that.
Now apply that to your Jesus. You go far beyond just taking his words as advice, you insist he is a god and must be obeyed. You insist his death caused some absolution of peoples atrocities.
I say he has no right to give this absolution, because I do not see him as a god. I am not even sure he was a person. And you cannot prove either.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you do have more in common with apes than a banana appetite? So you are ready to take back your earlier claims?
You are very much like an ape. Now get over yourself and admit it.
Some may believe that they are the descendants of Apes..
Others think and behave like jackasses...
I will leave it at that

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>See... There is where your wrong!
We had a couple of JW's in our school too!
We never though ill of them for not standing, as our teacher told us about it!
But they NEVER said WE could NOT do it, as you Liberals
want to make US stop!
That is where YOU are Anti-American!
Keep your hands off OUR Rights!
I do not mind you, the citizen saying a pledge. Just don't insist the government push it.
Here is the critical difference. This is the point you miss about freedom. The Constitution is not granting the government freedom to worship, it is granting it to citizens. It restrains government from endorsing religion, such as in the pledge as it has god(religion)attached to it as a government endorsement.

I love how you speak for all of American citizens and how they think as if you could possibly know. Hubris. One cannot know all of what another is thinking. So to make such a claim is massive ignorance. And you could not even know if some of these kids were not picked on by others, as you cannot be in all places at once. And you cannot be in all American classrooms at once, so what happened in yours, may not be what is happening in another.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Incase you've NOT Read it.... Jesus is Not about Murdering anyone!
He's about Love!
This nation was founded on the teachings of Christ!
You can believe whatever you want!
See... you push your tripe all you want, but in the end...
WE WIN!
Push on!
Did I say Jesus? Nope, I said god. The god of the bible insists you murder non believers. Moses often carried out this order he claimed was of your god. Stop diverting and answer to your gods crimes.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Incase you've NOT Read it.... Jesus is Not about Murdering anyone!
He's about Love!
This nation was founded on the teachings of Christ!
You can believe whatever you want!
See... you push your tripe all you want, but in the end...
WE WIN!
Push on!
"founded on the teachings of Christ". Not sure just what you mean by this, or what the point of it is? Even if it were true, does that mean the Constitution should be avoided? Should we have government respect the establishment of Christianity?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like she did great in her life...
I wonder what you do with yours?
Nice diversion. Thanks for admitting you got nothing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Just like Obama swearing to uphold the constitution, and then shredding it!
Just like Bush swearing to uphold the constitution, and then shredding it!
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Yada yada don't be an adulterer... How many Christians have divorced and remarried and where is the passage that says Jesus went to church on Sunday?
Yada yada not to worry, I'm not, for St Whatevers sake.

I don't know (but can't see why anyone would want to-once is certainly enough!) and I don't know, I wasn't around at that time.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Hypocrites LOVE to call people Hypocrites.... I think, they think, it cancels them out!
Now if you could only find something I have said that is hypocritical, you could have evidence to your claim. But as with fundies, they make all sorts of wild claims with zero evidence to support said claim.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Learn reading comprehension you clueless simpleton, I never said anything in reference to how YOU or anyone else feels in my post. You and everyone else is entitled to your opinion, but when stating such, state it as your opinion and not fact!
The only person showing their ignorance here is you,,, your lack of reading comprehension, your inability to use the dictionary, and your constant misuse of words and their meanings. Last, but not least, your incessant, non stop whining , babbling and baby talk!
<quoted text> Everyone is in agreement when it comes to your ignorance, therefore originality is out of the question.
Thank you for confirming with your second sentence Your Lack of Reading Comprehension. Where I stated everyone is entitled to their opinion! See where reading comprehension is pretty darn important!
Your third paragraph; first sentence again confirms your Constant misuse of words and their meanings!
For the rest of your comment, nothing but bobble heading to hear that pea rattle around in all the empty space between your ears!
Your last sentence..... What the hell you trying to say here? Joke..... What Joke?
In Conclusion.... Your Post ended up proving everything I stated about you in my comment! You are the illiterate I D I O T .
Laughing .. word of advice... When debating any subject, Make sure Sista is on the Opposing Team, You will then claim Victory!!
In the true spirit of blessed rude and crude hypocrisy-

"GFY".

Amen.
SistaNoneYa

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
WTH? Thanks for proving I am the "double loser"
In which case-edit my response to your continued state of perpetual ignorance to-

"GFY" "GFY".

Amen. Amen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 107,541 - 107,560 of127,924
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••