Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the Feb 10, 2010, The Courier-Journal story titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

SistaNoneYa

London, KY

#112557 Sep 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Render unto Caesar, A-hole. You are part of a larger society - deal with it.
How about vouchers to pay for your own Jesus police, vouchers to build your own private religie roads and vouchers to pay your tax deductible tithes? How about we trash and burn the reference section from the libraries and restock them with vouchers for the local Christian bookstores? Ya babbling Faux brained twit.
Don't evennnnn be touching the reference sections now lol
curious

Ocoee, FL

#112558 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The difference is, I still take the test. I take it all the time. I do not think you ever took the test. You even claimed it was of the devil. So I have evidence you likely did not take the test.
I have little doubt you were anything but a Christian. You were likely raised (brainwashed) a Christian from birth. You were likely told daily by those you trusted that god was real. I doubt you ever had a single doubt. You had no room for a test in your faith.
No , the difference is , I took God's test , I paseed it , the results were more than satisfactory and I need not take another test.
I believe that one needs to take the same test over again only if you fail it or if you are unhappy with the results..
Which leads me back to what I have stated before.
Your need to continue taking the test might be due to your search for that which you claim does not exist.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#112559 Sep 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If we are to discuss the irrational and illogical let us begin with the following;
The Universe , all therein including life as we know it could not have been created by a super intelligence well beyond our abilities to comprehend .
It could only have been created by accidental means.
Because we are unable to identify this supernatural power by using natural means , we therefore must conclude that;
Nothing created something from nothing.
Once this something was created from nothing it was able to acquire intelligence and life by some unexplainable means.
The non intelligent created intelligence..
The non living created life.
How this happened can not be explained other than to say that over a period of billions of years , it did occur.
Oddly enough , mankind , alive and intelligent is unable to duplicate that which nonintelligence and the non living was able to accomplish.
In effect , the nonliving and non intelligent are superior and can accomplish more that the living and intelligent.
Once you accept that nonsense as being factual , then you can build further nonsense on top of that fallacious foundation in order to deny God's existence.
One can complain about the validity of what may have been written
about Jesus a hundred years after his death based on reports attributed to his apostles and yet accept as factual unconfirmed and unwitnessed events that supposedly occured billions of years ago in an unknown place , an unknown time for which NO evidence of any sort can be provided.
I am not buying into this nonsense that a chicken can turn into a dinosaur or that I am a monkeys uncle.
Only thing I have in common with monkeys is that we both like bananas and like to climb trees.
You start from a flawed premise.... "The Universe , all therein including life as we know it could not have been created by a super intelligence well beyond our abilities to comprehend " .... There was never a Creation... There was a Conversion.... At no time is Anything in the Universe Created... Everything from Stars to your Computer is Converted.... Nothing in the Universe shows any evidence of ever being Created....

From that basic flawed premise the rest of your post becomes self evident as ignorant of the knowledge base on the subject....
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#112560 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Got any words or your own? I did not read this, and will not read your cut and paste unless it is used as evidence to a claim.
Mr.Duquette,
That is why you are so shallow minded...you refuse to read anything that proves your erroneous claims to be FALSE!
The information I posted was intended as evidence. But if you refuse to read it you will never know....NOW WILL YOU?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#112561 Sep 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You start from a flawed premise.... "The Universe , all therein including life as we know it could not have been created by a super intelligence well beyond our abilities to comprehend " .... There was never a Creation... There was a Conversion.... At no time is Anything in the Universe Created... Everything from Stars to your Computer is Converted.... Nothing in the Universe shows any evidence of ever being Created....
From that basic flawed premise the rest of your post becomes self evident as ignorant of the knowledge base on the subject....
You better take those ignorant remarks up with Stephen Hawkins , another nut waiting to be packaged by Planters Peanuts.

I am assuming that , based on his new theory , that gravity ,which he says is responsuble for the spontaneous creation of the Universe from nothing , is also the creator of life and intelligence.
The scientists that work at Planters Peanuts would have a field day with some of the Brains that occupy this website
....>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

In his 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking had seemed to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. But in the new text, co-written with American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, he said new theories showed a creator is "not necessary".

The Grand Design, an extract of which appears in the Times today, sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have been created out of chaos.

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will CREATE ITSELF FROM NOTHING," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.

London, KY

#112562 Sep 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You better take those ignorant remarks up with Stephen Hawkins , another nut waiting to be packaged by Planters Peanuts.
I am assuming that , based on his new theory , that gravity ,which he says is responsuble for the spontaneous creation of the Universe from nothing , is also the creator of life and intelligence.
The scientists that work at Planters Peanuts would have a field day with some of the Brains that occupy this website
....>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>
In his 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking had seemed to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. But in the new text, co-written with American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, he said new theories showed a creator is "not necessary".
The Grand Design, an extract of which appears in the Times today, sets out to contest Sir Isaac Newton's belief that the universe must have been designed by God as it could not have been created out of chaos.
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will CREATE ITSELF FROM NOTHING," he writes. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist.
Those are simplistic words to put across an idea to a general population that do not understand the actual constructs.... Einstein used mathematical proofs to explain it and Hawkin does not disagree with those proof... Before there was Matter there was Energy... Matter is converted from energy and energy is converted into matter... Hawkin uses the idea of Nothing for the simple minded as he would concede there is No Such Thing as "Nothing" But how do you explain that Energy in a unified form absent Physical Matter is "Something" to a general populace with no education into physics....... Be glad to debate it with Any Physicist including Hawkin... Because it's easy to back up that Nothing in the Universe from a Star, a Galaxy, A Solar System all the way to an I-Phone or Computer is Never Created... Only Converted from the Unified Energy that all matter was converted out of some 16 Billion Plus years ago....

I'll just do one...

An I-Phone... No one waved a wand and Poof a I phone popped into existence... First Energy converted into Matter at the beginning of the Universe.. Over time some of that matter due to gravity formed clumps and converted due to Gravity, Magnetic Fields, Weak and Strong Nuclear forces into Stars as the mass increased... Those stars converted energy in to matter and matter in to assorted forms of energy and stable/unstable assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table... Around some of those stars some of that assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table clumped together to form planets, moons, asteroids, comets, dust ect.. Due to those same Forces some of those elements converted into organic compounds and some of those organic compounds via applied forces and environmental variable converted into long chain sequences and some of those long chain sequences converted into a little Japanese guy that picked assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table and converted them into an I-Phone....
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#112563 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Patriotism can be as dangerous as religion. And demanding kids chant the pledge is only for brainwashing patriotism. It is not showing the merits of our country. And adding god to the equation only shows the lack of understanding of our Constitution and its secularism.
Supreme Court has ruled on several occasions that students cannot be compelled to recite the Pledge, or punished for not doing so. Secondly, the original Pledge did not have Under God or The United States of America in it. Those were added later. The original draft was as follows: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" It has actually went through 4 changes since 1892. As for it being just as dangerous as religion, anything, when practiced to an extreme or abused can become dangerous.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#112564 Sep 6, 2013
I myself, don't see any harm in reciting the Pledge.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112565 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you should worship the volcano god, as this article shows the cause is of volcano's. Worship a calf, worship a volcano, but don't murder someone for doing so.
Missed the point completely. Scientists have found evidence of the plagues in Moses' time.

Location hidden

#112566 Sep 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So he was visited by a god and defied his order? And you still think worshiping a calf in defiance of Moses is punishable by execution?
The only think consistent about you is having double standards.
No, he never joined the Methodist church.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#112567 Sep 6, 2013
tema wrote:
<quoted text>
One may say that Jesus wemt off the deep end by socializing with those that his mission was to reach.
He came to call sinners , not the self righteous , to repentance.
In essence he went off the deep end to throw a lifeline to those who were drowning in their immoral iniquities.
As he said" I came so you may have life and have it more abundantly"
The comedians you admire were crude ,insulting ,ill mannered , mocked women ,homosexuals and those afflicted by Aids.
Compassion for the less fortunate was not part of their comedy routine.
Their personal lives were a disaster.
Those are facts that can not be denied and have nothing to do with self righteousness.
You have stated that " I see you're familiar with some of my favorite comedians. I prefer them over the religious ones you hang with"
Therefore you are in agreement with their lewd comedy
and prefer them over the religious ones I supposedly hang around with.
When you jumped off the deep end , based on what you wrote ,it was to wallow in the mire with them , not in order that they may lead a more productive and abundant life.
At least , that is how I interpreted what you wrote.
You further stated that "You don't have to believe in God to have a moral compass."
The comedians in question , Sam Kinnison , Rodney Dangerfield ,
George Carlin did not believe in God and based on their professsional and personal lives had no moral compass.
At least that is my interpretation of the facts at my disposal.
BTW I have no use for the Pharisees or the self righteous.
There are fools who may claim to have led sinless lives and have no reason to repent.
I make no such claims
George Carlin did not believe in God because God does not exists. Sam kinison was a preacher but gave up the faith knowing it was a con game. Sam used his preaching skills "thanks to pentacostal church" to make people laugh and make a lot of money. Rodney Dangerfield one of my favorites and so funny. Lots of people love Rodney's comedy. I bet plenty of christians love these guys and saw many of their performaces, even the toe tapper Ted Haggard.

Now all those nasty things you accuse the comedians of, the bible shows God does much worse. God slices open innocent pregnant women and even makes women eat their own fetuses. I could go on and on but I don't want to make a big deal out of it because I know the Bybull, well lets say is full of it.

Sorry your such a stick in the mud but thats your choice.
Now here is more comedy that I liked also. You might like it.

Mr. Deity Episode 1: Mr. Deity and the Evil

Location hidden

#112568 Sep 6, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>I believe maybe he did do that for his mother. What I don't believe is that he really had instructions by God not to join or associate with other religions. He did that and others have been killed or burn alive by God for doing so in the bible.

What does the bible have to say about this?

Matt 10:37
"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Joe Smith loves his mother more than God. He even commits a sin against the Holy Spirit after warning him about mixing with apostates.

Heb 10:26 For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.."

In other words a sin against the Holy Spirit.

I know that you have been taught all the excuses to evade documented evidence that shows Joseph Smith is clearly shown in the bible to be preaching a heresy including Brigham Young.

Sorry, the evidence you have shown in this case is just not excused by the bibles own criteria for chosen to be anointed by God.
I haven't been taught anything but what I have researched on my own.

The direction was not to join any other churches. The direction was not that he could not mix with other apostates. I think you're confusing this church with the Jehovah's Witness church.

Location hidden

#112569 Sep 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>So if I call the belief of a Norseman that still believes in Thor as a Myth I'm insulting him... Guess I should not insult the Flying Unicorn That Poop Glitter Believers out on their Myth either....
In almost every Myth Known to man there are some that believe them reality as much as you yours.....
So why insult any of them?

Location hidden

#112570 Sep 6, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>My belief that Jesus was a man who was killed for inciting the derailment of temple control and its money train is ludicrous and insulting?
If you are offended that I call your dog a mutt, I realize it's because you love him - but he's still a mutt and you can't change his true pedigree through any amount of admiration and Alpo.
If you had any proof the dog was a mutt. How do you know it isn't a purebred missing papers?

Location hidden

#112571 Sep 6, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>He said he liked their *comedy.*

An entertainer is not your friend.
You don't have to admire their personal life in order to be entertained by them.

Do you check to see if a singer is "moral" before you enjoy the song they are singing...or determine if an actor is "righteous" before you like a movie they were in?
In some cases yes. For example, my niece used to love Hannah Montana. Would her parents be choosing well to let her keep idolizing Miley after her recent actions?(Niece is 12)

Roseville, CA

#112572 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't been taught anything but what I have researched on my own.
The direction was not to join any other churches. The direction was not that he could not mix with other apostates. I think you're confusing this church with the Jehovah's Witness church.
What I been reading is he tried to join the church but other members were against his joining. No I'm not confusing you with "Known Facts aka no facts".

I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon,(as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it.

So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-.

That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book.(The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p.1).

Like so many of the early Methodist records, the early class books of the Harmony (now Lanesboro) Church are lost, so we will never know for certain whether Joseph Smith remained a member for only three days or six months. However, there was never any dispute that he had become a member, and by this one act he undercut the story he later put forth that God in a special vision had instructed him specifically not to join the Methodist Church.

- Wesley P. Walters

Roseville, CA

#112573 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
In some cases yes. For example, my niece used to love Hannah Montana. Would her parents be choosing well to let her keep idolizing Miley after her recent actions?(Niece is 12)
FYI

In 1993 Rodney Dangerfield married Joan Child, a woman thirty years younger than him, and a Mormon.

Sorry, I had to show this. Does this women deserve to be excommunicated from the Mormon Church?

London, KY

#112574 Sep 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So why insult any of them?
I don't... Never have... Not my fault of some people take what I say as an insult.. That's more about Them than me... I do at times make fun of delusional people for comedic effect but that is not an insult just because they get offended... Being Offended is not the same as getting insulted...
Azazel

Somerset, KY

#112575 Sep 6, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
I myself, don't see any harm in reciting the Pledge.
I grew up as a JW and we were not allowed to say the pledge at school because we were not allowed to pledge our allegiance to anyone except God. We could stand but we had to keep our hands down to our side and be quiet. If they played the national anthem then we were not allowed to stand for that and had to remain seated.

That makes it hard on children who then get picked on and asked why they hate their country or why they hate God. The adult JWs seldom had to go through this so it was real easy for the parents to tell their children how much it would displease God and how we might as well bow down before Satan.

Just another example of mind control over children to brainwash them at a young age. What a wasted youth.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#112576 Sep 6, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are simplistic words to put across an idea to a general population that do not understand the actual constructs.... Einstein used mathematical proofs to explain it and Hawkin does not disagree with those proof... Before there was Matter there was Energy... Matter is converted from energy and energy is converted into matter... Hawkin uses the idea of Nothing for the simple minded as he would concede there is No Such Thing as "Nothing" But how do you explain that Energy in a unified form absent Physical Matter is "Something" to a general populace with no education into physics....... Be glad to debate it with Any Physicist including Hawkin... Because it's easy to back up that Nothing in the Universe from a Star, a Galaxy, A Solar System all the way to an I-Phone or Computer is Never Created... Only Converted from the Unified Energy that all matter was converted out of some 16 Billion Plus years ago....
I'll just do one...
An I-Phone... No one waved a wand and Poof a I phone popped into existence... First Energy converted into Matter at the beginning of the Universe.. Over time some of that matter due to gravity formed clumps and converted due to Gravity, Magnetic Fields, Weak and Strong Nuclear forces into Stars as the mass increased... Those stars converted energy in to matter and matter in to assorted forms of energy and stable/unstable assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table... Around some of those stars some of that assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table clumped together to form planets, moons, asteroids, comets, dust ect.. Due to those same Forces some of those elements converted into organic compounds and some of those organic compounds via applied forces and environmental variable converted into long chain sequences and some of those long chain sequences converted into a little Japanese guy that picked assorted types of matter we note in the periodic table and converted them into an I-Phone....
I would venture to say that all computers and I phones came about as a result of some intelligent being using his intelligence to design such a machine and manufacturing it.
Did not happen by accident , nor by a system of evolution ,survival of the fittest or natural selection.
An intelligent being designed it and manufactured it.
Just as everything else in the Universe...
Except for one big difference ...He who designed and manufactured the Universe has Supernatural intelligence.
That is something that the natural mind in it's natural state is unable to comprehend.
Therefore , they must design theories and allude to events that supposedly happened billions of years ago , unwitnessed , unvalidated ,for which no record exists and which can not be duplicated.
Of such , are fairy tales born.
Once upon a time , a long time ago , in a land far far away a dinosaur laid a chicken egg and so on and so on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boxer "rocky" drug behind vehicle 2 hr truth _1 6
PS4-8Games-2Controllers FOR SALE 5 hr PS4 FOR SALE 1
rising sales of us constitution put DHS on alert 5 hr Logical 7
everyone here is on something 7 hr wow 1
What kind of store does Corbin need? 7 hr Curious 1
cta 8 hr Anon 1
Junk collection day? 11 hr Trashy 1
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE