Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,372

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#111831 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was moral, I said I can understand God's anger.
And I can kinda picture the Far Side comic I saw one time when you say you condemn Him.
It was a picture of God in front of a control panel with a screen that showed a guy walking under a piano being lifted. His finger was about to push a big butting that said "Smite".
I kinda picture Him having to take 10 breaths when some one says what you did. Then going: No, I'm calm. I'm not going to do it.
Haha
Well seeing as how Deuteronomy says to make the decision for murdering unbelievers into your own hands, I can see why you get a chuckle out of this.

God made the bots and is pissed he programmed them poorly so he drowned everything. Nuts.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111832 Aug 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First, it makes no logical sense that people of those times could not follow the philosophy you follow now.
Now lets keep in mind, humans learn by example.
So this tale being in the bible is highly likely to be teaching one to murder in mass. We know by history it has happened. We know by reading the bible Moses took it upon himself to have troops kill the innocent kids and women many times.
You have your apologetics down pretty well, but it still does not cut the mustard with reality.
If I was all powerful and a robot builder, I would not need to murder my robots, I would just reprogram them with my words as I did the first time.
Something I find curious is that god doesn't really tell people what to do prior to Moses. I mean, there some things he says but mostly it seems to be implied. I don't remember there being much said about what specifically drove him to kill every man, woman, and baby in the world with the flood. I know it says he was not pleased with humans but what exactly had they done? And when did god give them specific commandments not to do those things?

This is one of the reasons I don't think the Bible is a very good tool for figuring out what is morally right. God sends far too many mixed messages. One minute he seems to not know what's happening while he's away from Eden, the next minute he's a burning bush, and then he's attacking Moses on the side of the road. Later he's demanding burnt offerings and issuing hundreds and hundreds of mandates. Then he's commanding his people to murder and pillage and steal land.

Then he impregnates a virgin who bears his son...who gets killed for political reasons. And we're supposed to find some kind of consistent and applicable moral code in that jumbled mess somehow.

Isn't it easier to use our brains and our shared sense of ethics to figure out what to do? After all, that's what we do anyway. I don't' care how much a person talks about the spirit of the lord and the holy ghost in the end that person is using his brain to make decisions about what to do. God is not telling him anything.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111833 Aug 27, 2013
JUST FRED - Humor
An Arizona Highway Patrol officer stops a Harley for traveling faster than the posted speed limit, so he asks the biker his name.

'Fred,' he replies.

'Fred what?' the officer asks.

'Just Fred,' the man responds.

The officer is in a good mood, thinks he might just give the biker a break, and write him out a warning instead of a ticket. The officer then presses him for the last name.

The man tells him that he used to have a last name but lost it.

The officer thinks that he has a nut case on his hands but plays along with it.'Tell me, Fred, how did you lose your last name?'

The biker replies,'It's a long story, so stay with me.' I was born Fred Johnson. I studied hard and got good grades. When I got older, I realized that I wanted to be a doctor. I went through college, medical school, internship, residency, and finally got my degree, so I was Fred Johnson, MD. After a while I got bored being a doctor, so I decided to go back to school. Dentistry was my dream! Got all the way through School, got my degree, so then I was Fred Johnson, MD, DDS. Got bored doing dentistry, so I started fooling around with my assistant and she gave me VD, so now I was Fred Johnson, MD, DDS, with VD.

Well, the ADA found out about the VD, so they took away my DDS. Then I was Fred Johnson, MD, with VD. Then the AMA found out about the ADA taking away my DDS because of the VD, so they took away my MD leaving me as Fred Johnson with VD. Then the VD took away my Johnson, so now I am Just Fred.'

The officer walked away in tears, laughing.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111834 Aug 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Something I find curious is that god doesn't really tell people what to do prior to Moses. I mean, there some things he says but mostly it seems to be implied. I don't remember there being much said about what specifically drove him to kill every man, woman, and baby in the world with the flood. I know it says he was not pleased with humans but what exactly had they done? And when did god give them specific commandments not to do those things?
This is one of the reasons I don't think the Bible is a very good tool for figuring out what is morally right. God sends far too many mixed messages. One minute he seems to not know what's happening while he's away from Eden, the next minute he's a burning bush, and then he's attacking Moses on the side of the road. Later he's demanding burnt offerings and issuing hundreds and hundreds of mandates. Then he's commanding his people to murder and pillage and steal land.
Then he impregnates a virgin who bears his son...who gets killed for political reasons. And we're supposed to find some kind of consistent and applicable moral code in that jumbled mess somehow.
Isn't it easier to use our brains and our shared sense of ethics to figure out what to do? After all, that's what we do anyway. I don't' care how much a person talks about the spirit of the lord and the holy ghost in the end that person is using his brain to make decisions about what to do. God is not telling him anything.
All persons use their brain to deduce what is right and wrong. But some do not think deeply about it and just follow the herd. Religion is the herd in many cases. Now if that herd always did the moral thing, I might think religion was the way to go, but this is not the case.
No herd always does the right thing, so following any herd to the letter can lead to some moral problems.

And yes, the story of god before the flood is vague as most of the bible is vague. So the lesson of the flood is what? Don't be bad a bad world of people? Vague.

Sounds more like something some religious/political leader told his people so they would follow his orders.
It is a control tool for the dictators.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111835 Aug 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said it was moral, I said I can understand God's anger.
And I can kinda picture the Far Side comic I saw one time when you say you condemn Him.
It was a picture of God in front of a control panel with a screen that showed a guy walking under a piano being lifted. His finger was about to push a big butting that said "Smite".
I kinda picture Him having to take 10 breaths when some one says what you did. Then going: No, I'm calm. I'm not going to do it.
Haha
So you are undecided on if the flood was moral? You keep defending god for why he did it, so I just assumed you thought it was a good thing to do.
If I kept giving justifications for Hitlers holocaust wouldn't you think I was claiming the holocaust was moral?
They were both mass murders with reasons of justification. I agree with none of them.

Really what I am seeing from you is apologetics of a holocaust.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#111836 Aug 27, 2013
SistaNoneYa wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit, you got distorted off topic by the hyped hysteria.
There's hope for you still then.
Do you know what the Constitution is, and comprehend it(including the Ammendments)?
If so, Did you notice it being breached yet AGAIN this week?
Disgusting.
I see you are off topic and did not address my points.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

#111837 Aug 27, 2013
SistaNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Y'all figure out what those beeps are when dialing up yet over there?
I have it on good authority that those 'beeps' were mandated by the state for safety precautions when a rather robust woman's backside became oversized and posed a threat in our work zone.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111838 Aug 28, 2013
The Real Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats true, doesnt mean people like me who would gladly protest and mock you on that same property ;)
No! Actually....
If you are prohibiting the free exercise thereof, I'd say...
If you don't like it... walk on by!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111839 Aug 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
BS, you tiresome little man. You excuse every lie and foible of the Republicans and condemn every breath of a Democrat. You don't stand for anything good, you're just another cheerleader for partisanship.
Weiner!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#111840 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>All persons use their brain to deduce what is right and wrong. But some do not think deeply about it and just follow the herd. Religion is the herd in many cases. Now if that herd always did the moral thing, I might think religion was the way to go, but this is not the case.
No herd always does the right thing, so following any herd to the letter can lead to some moral problems.
And yes, the story of god before the flood is vague as most of the bible is vague. So the lesson of the flood is what? Don't be bad a bad world of people? Vague.
Sounds more like something some religious/political leader told his people so they would follow his orders.
It is a control tool for the dictators.
I'll be honest, even if being Christian meant 100% morally sound living all the time I would still have a problem with it. The problem for me is truth. All sense of reason screams that Christianity is irrational and incorrect. I don't think I could get behind anything that blatantly wrong.

For one thing, I don't think we can force ourselves to believe anything. I think we are compelled to accept things by factors such as logic and reason, and often emotion. I think acceptance of religious claims is primarily emotionally based (fear of death, fear of being alone, need for acceptance, etc) and then logic and reason are employed to make post hoc justifications for beliefs that logic and reason would otherwise reject.
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111841 Aug 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
There is no god.
A fool in his heart says...
You Prove God's existence with EVERY post!
:-)
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#111842 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And this is a great example of what you "think" you "know". All evidence shows you were not shot in the head TWICE and yet you insist you know otherwise.
Your stories are textbook delusions and false perceptions. We should send you down to the universities for live examples of how the mind can play tricks upon a person.
Next you will be telling is a god spoke to you.
And this is a perfect example of a man assigning the attributes of a being
he denies to himself!
You... do not know what happened, you THINK you know!
I on the other hand, was there, was Saved by Christ, was
Told by God to look into my life for this proof...
You know what I think???
You just cant stand it... To know someone achieved something you
did not!
You either didn't achieve salvation for lack of desire, or...
You did, and satan led you away like he did me!
Only... I hope it doesn't take you 40 years to get back on track...
We don't have that kind of time!
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111843 Aug 28, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> I have it on good authority that those 'beeps' were mandated by the state for safety precautions when a rather robust woman's backside became oversized and posed a threat in our work zone.
Excuses, excuses.

Good humor though-second time I laughed at that joke lol.

Duquette, wasn't that a funny story? Why anyone could even consider it a typical, absolutely no thought required, woebegone, uh, tale.
SistaNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#111844 Aug 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I see you are off topic and did not address my points.
No, I was right on topic and just decided to change the actual topic, just like you did. And it's not my problem if you cannot comprehend the answers given to whatever pointy head question in your pile of many, you're referencing, yet Again.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#111845 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Weiner!
Oblivious! You prove my point.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111846 Aug 28, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>And this is a perfect example of a man assigning the attributes of a being
he denies to himself!
I on the other hand, was there, was Saved by Christ, was
Told by God to look into my life for this proof...
You know what I think???
You just cant stand it... To know someone achieved something you
did not!
You either didn't achieve salvation for lack of desire, or...
You did, and satan led you away like he did me!
Only... I hope it doesn't take you 40 years to get back on track...
We don't have that kind of time!

Shoot, hit, deform/splatter, pieces ricochet along a cone of incidence. Not enough mass or velocity left to even hurt the moths in your head. I'm not surprised you don't remember when and where the holes in your jacket >actually< came from.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#111848 Aug 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
I think the topic of the political/religious mix within the military is interesting and kinda scary. The armed forces used to have a broader mix of these ideas but today's military seems to be overwhelmingly religious and conservative, which I think is a terrible mix.
Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.

Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111849 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Good thing Obama has no fear of using the overwhelminly religious and conservative military when enemies use weapons of mass destruction. I wonder if he'll recover more chemical, biological or radiation munitions than Bush.
We know that your definition of "patriotism" is to watch Faux News and burn more domestic fossil fuels.'Nuff said.
Being gullible or duplicitous gives no honor or glory to Christ and I won't sully the blood, sweat, and sacrifices of veterans by claiming that they are patriots because they love Jesus.
By "religious and conservative military," do you mean any member of the Romney clan, or the ever-growing list of chickenhawks? Since you mention the draft, what are the odds of someone obtaining a CO status based on the grounds that they are a pacifist atheist? " " " " a pacifist Christian?
All anyone needs to do is >find< WMDs and he'll have passed Bush's record.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#111851 Aug 28, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>that is nonsense. you just want to apologize for a nasty God that made evil, which is the type of God you obviously believe in if you believe in the Biblical God or in an allpowerful creator God of the universe we live in.

to appreciate one nice thing, one needs a little time and space in between similar events, and a variety of other nice things. we can appreciate blue and yellow and red and pink, without their being a color that is bad. we can appreciate classical music and jazz, without there being horrid noise that deafens us in contrast.
It isn't nonsense. I will admit it doesn't fit 100% of the population.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#111852 Aug 28, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want to go back to the draft? Today's military is 100% voluntary; if atheists and liberals wanted to join, they could. They just don't seem to want to demonstrate their patriotism like religious conservatives do.
Maybe it would do the youth of America good to experience a few years of discipline and service to the country. No deferments, no special treatments, no "Don't you know who my daddy is?", no "Yo, mofo... you be messin wif my freedom of esprexion, yo."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
have you been raped or molested and never told ... (Dec '10) 39 min allowingaccepting 107
is there bullying in laurel county schools (Apr '12) 40 min allowingaccepting 45
no such thing as a friends (Oct '08) 58 min allowingaccepting 140
Wrigley Taproom And Brewery 1 hr Jim Thompson 1
good good 1 hr looking 1
how to complain against csx (Oct '10) 2 hr troop28 44
Roxanne Almgren 3 hr tree 2

Flood Warning for Laurel County was issued at March 05 at 4:09AM EST

Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance