Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,151)

Showing posts 103,001 - 103,020 of123,141
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you did not get to the point at all. You played the game of dodge.
No religious persons here dared confront the actual question, can god create a rock he cannot lift.
I did not ask if he wants to create the damn rock, I asked if he can.
So either answer my question, or keep playing games to avoid answering the question. I am sure you will do the latter, as you often do when confronted with a hard question.

I am really just dumbfounded you claim to not be playing games.
This question proves nothing. There is no answer to this question that will satisfy either party. It's as pointless as asking: can a true writer write a poem that he cannot read? Well, then he must not be a good writer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Can you tell us which animal does this, other than humans?
I have heard of no study that makes this claim.
Here's too easy examples of this. Cats kill mice just to play with the carcass, then get bored and move on.
Dogs kill rabbits, or other small animals while wagging their tails about it, spit it out and then walk away. It certainly isn't for food. It isn't because they are practicing for the big game on Saturday. It isn't because they need to show how macho they are.

You don't need a study for that one. Just own a pet.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Leviticus 20:13
King James Version (KJV)

13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
King James Version (KJV)

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 12:17-19
King James Version (KJV)

17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>that was to du what, and I suspect some cats play with mice and birds because they are challenged by the motion, and do not eat them afterwards. I am not even sure if they intend to kill, in some cases. There certainly is no evidence of hatred in their killing, in such cases, at least.
This wasn't even my point. My point was that just because the animal kingdom has certain behaviors, doesn't mean we should copy them.
So even if you believe dogs and cats kill for practice or to hone their skills, doesn't mean humans should do this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Then why has it not in any of the countries that have allowed gay marriage? That is why your slippery slope is a fallacy, because there is no evidence suggesting that it would happen, none, zero. It is also the exact same slipper slope used by those against interracial marriage. You have so little faith in humanity because you put it all into your imaginary friend. But humanity is real, and does a lot of good things, your imaginary friend is not real, and has not done any good things.
Who says incest and polygyny doesn't happen in other countries??

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Because it's not supported by any evidence.
Buy a cat. Find your evidence.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Link?
I don't have a link. I heard it on the news

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

King James Version (KJV Bible)

In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611, just 85 years after the first translation of the New Testament into English appeared (Tyndale, 1526). The Authorized Version, or King James Version, quickly became the standard for English-speaking Protestants. Its flowing language and prose rhythm has had a profound influence on the literature of the past 400 years. The King James Version present on the Bible Gateway matches the 1987 printing.

The KJV is public domain in the United States.

Matthew 16:23
King James Version (KJV)

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

“Life is a learning highway”

Since: Mar 13

that too many get lost on

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose asking for evidence of this is too much to ask. As of yet this has never been witnessed, nor documented, as far as I know.
That's not 100% true. Some animals kill for fun.

A well fed dog that kills chickens, the whole coop at once with no desire to eat them and they are not presenting a threat.

And the animal that kills for fun and just for sport the most,,, HUMANS! Case closed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? several primates commit Murder within their own troops and have went on War Paths attacking other troops and killing all that they can...
Your Cat has never killed a bird or other small animal just to play with until they kill it? Mine do all the time and will do so and drop them on the door step as presents....
Wolves will many times attack and kill rivals with and outside of the pack because of plain dominance...
http://sciencefocus.com/qa/do-animals-murder-...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/33...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-19353...
So you are asserting that you know what they were thinking, I expect that from a creatard, not you. All animals are territorial, all of them, without exception, because that trait has proven beneficial in the wild. They also need practice at their skills, to hone them better, all animals also learn, and the biological brain works best through practice and making mistakes. Then there are the psychological instabilities and drugs. A whole slew of possible reasons that could baffle even the greatest minds simply because they don't know where to look.

Felines practice their skills, but they always eat what they kill ... eventually. Domestic felines do not have to eat their kills immediately, thanks to them being in a more protected environment, so they would not feel the pressures those in the wild do to consume their kill right there. But it is in the felines' instincts to hunt, stalk, and even chase, so your domestic cat example is moot, it's simply acting on known instinctual behaviors. Domestic felines are not that far removed from their feral kin, in mannerisms and instincts, and the feline has been heralded as the perfect hunter.

As to the others, we know they learn, and practice, much like we do. Though their methods are not always understood. They even teach others, and prune their own populations when resources are scarce. We have documented cases of apes teaching their offspring to use tools, many such things, as well as birds and other animals doing the same thing. Why is it such a stretch to consider that they'd also teach their own how to fight and just take it too far, we have a word for that phenomenon when humans do it, berserk rage.

Then there is the tiny technicality of murder implying law, but that is a minor technicality.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not 100% true. Some animals kill for fun.
A well fed dog that kills chickens, the whole coop at once with no desire to eat them and they are not presenting a threat.
And the animal that kills for fun and just for sport the most,,, HUMANS! Case closed.
So now you not only know everything about every poster on here, you can also read the minds of animals.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says incest and polygyny doesn't happen in other countries??
Most such countries also ban same sex marriage, so your point is still moot.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Buy a cat. Find your evidence.
I have raised 5 from kittens, and took in several strays in my lifetime. My first kitten chose me when I was about 8, she was put to sleep due to a broken hind limb, back then such breaks were considered a death sentence for animals due to lacking proper medical understanding of their physiology. My second feline companion chose me a few years after the first passed away, she was full grown when I met her, and the best feline I knew. She would chase dogs, even the large pittbulls down the street, back into their yards when they were out without a leash. I raised her granddaughter from a kitten too. The first feline I leash trained I adopted when I was in Colorado, my first real road trip started then, use to run with her to chase the birds, since we were car bound a lot. After that all my felines were leash trained, so when I lived in the city I could take them to the park to hunt. One kitten I adopted was from a litter of kittens which a stray had in my apartment, I fed the local strays all the time. She was an excellent hunter, took down a large bird of prey once, it was pestering her so she figured out a trap for it. It was a beautiful sight to see her take down her first large prey. She was the second toughest feline companion I ever had. My last one, yeah, I'm skipping a few to make this short, was a rescued stray. He was very timid and was never more than 10 feet from me when outside. Leash trained but never needed it. But then, he was beaten into submission by other humans, the scars were there to remind me of the horrible things the apes called humans are capable of.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So you are asserting that you know what they were thinking, I expect that from a creatard, not you. All animals are territorial, all of them, without exception, because that trait has proven beneficial in the wild. They also need practice at their skills, to hone them better, all animals also learn, and the biological brain works best through practice and making mistakes. Then there are the psychological instabilities and drugs. A whole slew of possible reasons that could baffle even the greatest minds simply because they don't know where to look.

Felines practice their skills, but they always eat what they kill ... eventually. Domestic felines do not have to eat their kills immediately, thanks to them being in a more protected environment, so they would not feel the pressures those in the wild do to consume their kill right there. But it is in the felines' instincts to hunt, stalk, and even chase, so your domestic cat example is moot, it's simply acting on known instinctual behaviors. Domestic felines are not that far removed from their feral kin, in mannerisms and instincts, and the feline has been heralded as the perfect hunter.

As to the others, we know they learn, and practice, much like we do. Though their methods are not always understood. They even teach others, and prune their own populations when resources are scarce. We have documented cases of apes teaching their offspring to use tools, many such things, as well as birds and other animals doing the same thing. Why is it such a stretch to consider that they'd also teach their own how to fight and just take it too far, we have a word for that phenomenon when humans do it, berserk rage.

Then there is the tiny technicality of murder implying law, but that is a minor technicality.
So lets say we can blame instinct when cats kill and don't eat. That still doesn't mean we should use humans as targets when honing our sniping skills. So my point still stands that just because animals do it, doesn't mean we should.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Most such countries also ban same sex marriage, so your point is still moot.
No, it really isn't. No matter how bad you want it to be.
So lets have your answer. Are you ok with all forms of incest being legal and supported because they are consenting adults?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I have raised 5 from kittens, and took in several strays in my lifetime. My first kitten chose me when I was about 8, she was put to sleep due to a broken hind limb, back then such breaks were considered a death sentence for animals due to lacking proper medical understanding of their physiology. My second feline companion chose me a few years after the first passed away, she was full grown when I met her, and the best feline I knew. She would chase dogs, even the large pittbulls down the street, back into their yards when they were out without a leash. I raised her granddaughter from a kitten too. The first feline I leash trained I adopted when I was in Colorado, my first real road trip started then, use to run with her to chase the birds, since we were car bound a lot. After that all my felines were leash trained, so when I lived in the city I could take them to the park to hunt. One kitten I adopted was from a litter of kittens which a stray had in my apartment, I fed the local strays all the time. She was an excellent hunter, took down a large bird of prey once, it was pestering her so she figured out a trap for it. It was a beautiful sight to see her take down her first large prey. She was the second toughest feline companion I ever had. My last one, yeah, I'm skipping a few to make this short, was a rescued stray. He was very timid and was never more than 10 feet from me when outside. Leash trained but never needed it. But then, he was beaten into submission by other humans, the scars were there to remind me of the horrible things the apes called humans are capable of.
So you should have witnessed one killing for a reason other than food.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

1859536680 play a game wrote:
if you know the person that this number belongs to then tell them game on!

You are a digit shot there bubba

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Pride in your own opinions separates you from God.
That's code for "using your brain". I'm happy to be separated if that be the case, my friend. Happy indeed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked Q about the slippery slope. Polygyny would most likely be next, followed by incest, and I would wager, it will eventually come to human and animal. And in maybe 200 years people will be considered bigots for not wanting incest and beastiality to occur.
No, no, no.

It will not come to humans and animals. Holy hell, people. What part of adult, mutual, and consent do you NOT understand??

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. Being attracted to your sister is NOT. Desiring five wives is NOT. Those are completely different issues.

And if they ever came to the forefront of the culture wars (I doubt they will, personally, because far fewer people are compelled to practice incest or have multiple spouses) then we will parse the subject out fully, in public and open dialog...just like we have been doing with homosexuality for decades.

Jesus effin' Christ. If I was as scared of everything as you guys seem to be I'd just never leave the house.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider rulers of countries as bumpkins?
My point is, just because it is mainstream doesn't mean it's right, so why teach it until it is known? If it was taught as an uncertainty, I'd be ok with that. But to teach mainstream opinion as fact can be dangerous.
Yes, some rulers are bumpkins. Especially a thousand years ago. The "mainstream" of expert opinion does not always match what the uneducated are thinking. We have congressmen right now who believe the earth is about 6000 years old and that women's bodies can "shut down" rape sperm.

Science is always a provisional engagement. It is not absolute. Everything single theory that I am willing to call fact on this day could be overturned in the future in light of new evidence and new theories.

But in the meantime we have to teach kids what we think is the best idea today. The big problem, I think, is that we don't teach kids critical thinking at an early age. For some reason we are afraid it will cause them to question our authority or something. But without critical thinking skills you get adults who think Zija cures warts and a hologram on a plastic bracelet improves your balance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 103,001 - 103,020 of123,141
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Keavy Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Keavy People Search