Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,073

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103551 May 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Energy is not complex like a god, so it is more reasonable that energy preceded everything.
Care to try and explain an applicable, relative, mathematically infallible theory for "black holes" ?

:-)
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103552 May 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly the majority if tea party members are also creationists. Kind of makes you wonder if they are the best thinkers in politics.
Wahwahwah..duquette can't get one to think exactly like he does lol.
IDC

United States

#103553 May 14, 2013
Sue wrote:
Our school was founded on beliefs of the bible. Schools began in churches. How could it be wrong to teach morals? To me, it's unconstitutional to not teach what our founding fathers believed so much in.
Our founding fathers wanted to create a wall between church and state. Not only that the entire American government was designed to be secular with absolutely no religious involvement. The pledge of allegiance did not have "under God" prior to 1954 and "in God we trust" was absent from our currency till 1956. If you require proof look up McCarthyism, it was not a shining moment in American history.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103554 May 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
There's been PLENTY of archeological evidences that attest to varying aspects of the CULTURES of the times the Bible was written of and about. The BOOK itself is actually one, just the same as would be with something like Mark Twains Tom Sawyer books being written with some of the CULTURAL aspects apparent of the times it was penned in.
Even today-aspects of the same cultural beliefs, traditions and practices still exist, and just because people not might always agree on them, or practice them all the same themselves, does NOT mean that they do NOT exist. Do you need the book to smack you in the head or something to "GET IT"?
What part of that REALITY is so hard to grasp, the world is FULL of DIFFERENT cultures AND beliefs-even two thousand years ago, when Christianity was basically considered a subversive practice, a duck among geese, its existances of customs, often forced into secret places (of which there is MUCH much evidence-SEE:
Goreme Open Air Museum: cave churches with frescoes
Zelve Open Air Museum: an empty cave town with churches
Kaymakli Underground City: the largest underground city
Derinkuyu Underground City: the deepest underground city
Ihlara Valley: the deepest gorge of Anatolia
Uchisar: Roman rock-cut castle
Ortahisar: Roman rock-cut castle
Avanos: center of pottery since the Hittites
Pasabag: mushroom-shaped fairy chimneys, monks valley
Devrent: animal-shaped fairy chimneys, imagination valley
Hacibektas: center of Bektasi sect of Islam
Gulsehir: first settlements in Cappadocia
Forgotten Cave Churches: churches located in the valleys
Caravanserais: 13th century hotels on the silk road)
Why do people like you insist on denying the REALITIES of such? Just because you don't like it or agree with it???
SORRY. That is NOT reality. And that is NOT how AMERICA works either-like it or not!!!!
Spider-Man fights bad guys in New York City. New York is a real place. Does that mean Spider-Man comics are true?

Location hidden

#103555 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Science attempts to explain what it observes in the natural world and is not equipped to explain that which is outside of the natural world
The Bible speaks about the Supernatural or Spiritual world
I think we can agree on that.
Up until the big bang theory was developed,many Scientists believed that the Universe was Eternal,contrary to what is stated in the Bible.
Now,they have evidence that the Universe was created.
As I understand it, according to the BB theory,there was nothing before the creation of the Universe.If there was nothing,then one would have to conclude that something was created from nothing...
If there was something before the Big Bang,how was that something created,was it eternal?
Anyhow,we know that the Universe was created.
If the Bible is about the spiritual "world" and science cannot comment on it, then why are you concerned with science at all? Let science do what it does best: explain nature. And you can have your Bible to help you with the emotional and spiritual stuff.

Easy peasy.

Also, we do not "know" that the universe was "created". By using the word "created" you are infering an intelligence. You're using a simple form of the Cosmological Argument, which, as most philosophers will tell you, is a load of bollocks.

As I said to you or someone else on here, how does your argument get you to the God of the Bible? Even if we grant that you are correct (for the sake of argument, mind you) it ONLY gets you to the point of stating that the universe was created.

That says absolutely nothing about what did it. It could have been cosmic hamsters or Zeus or me.

What is your line that connects this flimsy argument to your own personal deity?

And why is it so important for you to prove God by logic and reason? If it wasn't important we wouldn't be having a conversation. Yet faith is about faith, not evidence, right?

The need to be correct normally indicates the possibility of being wrong. I seek truth because I know I could be wrong. I want to find the best path to truth. But if you truly have faith then you don't need to do that, right?
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103556 May 14, 2013
The big problem with the Bible is that it hasn’t really changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.
The big problem with fundamentalist Christians is that their adherence to, interpretation of, the Bible hash’t changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.

Some fundamental Christians not only refuse not to change their interpretation of the Bible, they also refuse to live in the present. Their world is still flat. The moon landing was obviously filmed on a sound stage here on Earth. Jesus didn’t drive a car, so they sick to a beasts of burden for transport. The Bible was translated to an older version of English, to they pray with words like thee and thine.

Time travel is easy. If you don’t already live in the past, just travel a few miles or spend some time with your Christian neighbors. Most are nice people. Some are not.
“Feel free to crucify me for believing differently.” WWJD
Bible and Science

Williamson, WV

#103557 May 14, 2013
Bible and Science

Williamson, WV

#103558 May 14, 2013
Bible and Science

Williamson, WV

#103559 May 14, 2013
Dolly

Monticello, KY

#103561 May 14, 2013
kuda wrote:
The big problem with the Bible is that it hasn’t really changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.
The big problem with fundamentalist Christians is that their adherence to, interpretation of, the Bible hash’t changed for centuries even though the world and our understanding of it has changed considerably and continues to do so at a maddening pace.
Some fundamental Christians not only refuse not to change their interpretation of the Bible, they also refuse to live in the present. Their world is still flat. The moon landing was obviously filmed on a sound stage here on Earth. Jesus didn’t drive a car, so they sick to a beasts of burden for transport. The Bible was translated to an older version of English, to they pray with words like thee and thine.
Time travel is easy. If you don’t already live in the past, just travel a few miles or spend some time with your Christian neighbors. Most are nice people. Some are not.
“Feel free to crucify me for believing differently.” WWJD
Romans 12:2..Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God. No His word has never changed , He got it right the first time. People have changed. If you were smart you would know new versions are abundant. The Elizabethan English has been changed to more modern English. BTW.. FYI the Bible has no problem . The problem lies within you.
Dolly

Monticello, KY

#103562 May 14, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Bible is about the spiritual "world" and science cannot comment on it, then why are you concerned with science at all? Let science do what it does best: explain nature. And you can have your Bible to help you with the emotional and spiritual stuff.
Easy peasy.
Also, we do not "know" that the universe was "created". By using the word "created" you are infering an intelligence. You're using a simple form of the Cosmological Argument, which, as most philosophers will tell you, is a load of bollocks.
As I said to you or someone else on here, how does your argument get you to the God of the Bible? Even if we grant that you are correct (for the sake of argument, mind you) it ONLY gets you to the point of stating that the universe was created.
That says absolutely nothing about what did it. It could have been cosmic hamsters or Zeus or me.
What is your line that connects this flimsy argument to your own personal deity?
And why is it so important for you to prove God by logic and reason? If it wasn't important we wouldn't be having a conversation. Yet faith is about faith, not evidence, right?
The need to be correct normally indicates the possibility of being wrong. I seek truth because I know I could be wrong. I want to find the best path to truth. But if you truly have faith then you don't need to do that, right?
The Bible was recorded for all of us here on earth. God already knows what it says. It is not about the spiritual world it is for and about you and me.

Location hidden

#103563 May 14, 2013
Dolly wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible was recorded for all of us here on earth. God already knows what it says. It is not about the spiritual world it is for and about you and me.
Right. Because this is for you and me:

"'Every grain offering you bring to the LORD must be made without yeast, for you are not to burn any yeast or honey in a food offering presented to the LORD."

Leviticus 2:11

Dangit. I just made a burnt offering this morning and I put honey in it.

And if you happen to be a woman remember your value:

"1The Lord said to Moses, 2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them:‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, 3set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekelsa of silver, according to the sanctuary shekelb ; 4for a female, set her value at thirty shekels"

Leviticus 27

You are correct. This book is just chock full of stuff that is for you and me.

Location hidden

#103564 May 14, 2013
Dolly wrote:
<quoted text>Romans 12:2..Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God. No His word has never changed , He got it right the first time. People have changed. If you were smart you would know new versions are abundant. The Elizabethan English has been changed to more modern English. BTW.. FYI the Bible has no problem . The problem lies within you.
It opens with two different creation myths. Light is created before the sun. Cain, when being cast out by God, worries what other people will think of him...WHAT other people?? There is only Adamn Eve, Cain, and Abel (now deceased...sadly).

In all the lists of animals no mention of dinosaurs. Thousands of species of known dinosaurs that reigned the earth for millions of years...and not a single word about them in the Bible.

Noah gathers two of every kind of animal. Did he catch a redeye flight to Australia for some marsupials? Did he hop over to Madagascar for some lemurs?

God is called by many names. When Moses encounters him he doesn't know what to call him.

God keeps making covenants with people, then forgetting he made them.

God abandons the Hebrews in Egypt for many years while they suffer in bondage. When God reappears it is as if for the first time.

God tries to kill Moses RIGHT AFTER asking him to lead the Hebrews.

Yeah...sounds like the Bible got it right.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103565 May 14, 2013
Bible and Science wrote:
http://evidencebible.com/witne ssingtool/scientificfactsinthe Bible.shtml
Let me preface my comments with a warning that the link on your post triggers an application named “witnessingtool,” which is flagged as a potential security risk.

I suspect you have posted your series of three links about the Bible being scientifically accurate in response to my post about problems that often occur in Biblical interpretation. I see no problem with Biblical interpretations that are facilitate living effectively in the present as a member of society at large. Lots of Christians are able to fit well in modern society. Many function effectively as scientists and/or mathematicians.

Some people, however, have major problems in this regard. Michelle Bachman, for example, recently asserted her belief that god is punishing the US for immoral behavior through a pattern of terrorist attacks, which she interprets as her cue to advocate that we should return to living in the past. There are advocates for teaching creationism as a valid theory despite factual evidence refuting it. Living nearby are religious groups that ride in black, horse-drawn buggies and discourage their members from mixing with “the English.”

I would welcome your discussing these issues with me, but it is difficult to respond to a series of links lacking any personally written narrative from you. Please feel free and encouraged to talk. I love to argue, but I don’t bite unless bitten first.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103567 May 14, 2013
Dolly wrote:
<quoted text>Romans 12:2..Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable, and perfect will of God. No His word has never changed , He got it right the first time. People have changed. If you were smart you would know new versions are abundant. The Elizabethan English has been changed to more modern English. BTW.. FYI the Bible has no problem . The problem lies within you.
Hello Dolly (I know, surely you get that a lot.).

Yea verily, thou witnesseth the word whereof I spake.(Sorry, my 17th century English skills are pretty bad.)

Which reminds me of a question I have that you may be able to answer. Why speak modern English except when talking religion? Lots of folks seem to do this and I’ve always wondered why. It happens even though there are modern translations of the Bible, as you have noted. Is it kind of like speaking hip hop when in the hood, but not in the suburbs?

I agree that the problem is not that the Bible is trapped in time, as are all written publications. The problem is to cling to interpretations that are trapped in the same time frame. The books of the Bible were written centuries ago and some English translations are more modern than others.

When you say the problem lies in me, do you mean that the problem is that I don’t necessarily interpret the Bible as hey did centuries ago? Just curious, because the assertion sounds like copy for a bumper sticker., like “WWJD” or “The Bible says it, I believe it and that’s that.”
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103568 May 14, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Spider-Man fights bad guys in New York City. New York is a real place. Does that mean Spider-Man comics are true?
A.Based upon that illogic, George Washington founded the Potomac Company to establish east/west trade routes for America. Since America and the Potomac are real places, does that mean it isn't true?

OR

B. Wrong category-(non)Einstien. Not even comparable, to those with at least HALF a working braincell anyway.
KiNg JaMeS

Lexington, KY

#103569 May 14, 2013
the best version

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103570 May 14, 2013
Dolly wrote:
<quoted text>BTW.. FYI the Bible has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the dice have no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the cocaine has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the whiskey has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the shopping has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the hookers have no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the speed limit has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the AUCE buffet has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI the firearm has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI education has no problem . The problem lies within you.
BTW.. FYI religion has a problem . The problem lies within you.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103571 May 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
A.Based upon that illogic, George Washington founded the Potomac Company to establish east/west trade routes for America. Since America and the Potomac are real places, does that mean it isn't true?
OR
B. Wrong category-(non)Einstien. Not even comparable, to those with at least HALF a working braincell anyway.
Are you inferring that because there were real meeting places among the early catholic communities, the events compiled about Jesus (and probably an overwhelming majority of the OT) are indelibly accurate - just as surely as young George chopped down the cherry tree and threw a silver dollar across the Potomac?
Your point that the world does and has been comprised of countless myriads of both diverse and related cultures and subcultures is duly noted - and is far more likely to be discounted by the average congregation member than by those you choose to debate and deride here.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#103572 May 15, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min xbosgay 5,524
Chicken Festival Large Frying Pan Question 25 min Me again 10
Hot guys at Laurel Cookie Factory (Oct '08) 29 min Copy Paste 261
Where to meet over 40s 1 hr I know 2
Laurel Cookie Factory -- what do you think? (Jun '08) 1 hr Dreaming 9,184
Corbin Manor 3 hr 2kool 2
papa johns 4 hr 2kool 2
•••
•••
•••