Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,481 - 97,500 of 130,526 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102040 May 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one way, and nothing but assertions. Without any actual evidence, you have nothing to back those assertions up. So, your bible is nothing but myths and legends.
That may be how you view your Bible, but for others, it's a book that contains LOTS of words of true wisdom...and some interesting geographical descriptions and historical references, even to people like Simcha Jacobovici. Now there's some interesting and worthy telebision.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102041 May 2, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is ,you refused to answer my question
That's rich...coming from you.
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102042 May 2, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what you find confusing about the question. He's not asking you to label your life. He's asking what your position is on the topic.
I'm unaware of any evidence of your god's existence. I'm squarely in position 3. Pretty simple.
Have fun sitting in that box of lumped and labeled.
Too broad brush paint stroked and compartmentalized for moi lol.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102043 May 2, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
We have dealt with that question and I have given you the answer
based on what is clearly stated in Scriptures.
You and many others say that you want evidence of God's existence,
and God has provided you a way by which you can attain that evidence, if you really want to know him
God says" If you diligently seek me,you will find me"
God does not say,If you diligently seek me, others will find me.
There is evidence of God"s existence in the natural world,evidence that you refuse to accept.
You are not looking for evidence,you are looking for signs, signs that you will readily dismiss.
If you really wanted to know God,you would not hesitate to put him to the test, so he could reveal himself to you.
When you really want something,you make every effort possible to get it....
You need ask yourselves,When have you ever made an honest effort to seek God?
The fact is,you don't want to know,and,when you claim you do,you are deceiving yourselves,
As I understand it,that is called Spiritual blindness
Are you looking for Mohammed, Allah, or Zeus? How honest, and diligent is that effort?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102044 May 2, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
"curious",
I just wanted to add to your statement---there are over 360 prophecies in the Hebrew Scriptures(Old Testament) that point forward to Jesus and he fulfilled every one of them.
So why do god believing Jews not believe this?
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102045 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure most fiction novels are based in cities that are real.Does that mean any of the claimed events are real?
I am glad historians do not blindly accept tales just due to the city being real. But thanks for telling us what evidence you require. Why are you not a Muslim?
Stay away from Judea-it's not really there.

Why am I not a Muslim?

Because I don't want to be one, as some of the "traditional" garb has been scientifically declared to contribute to possible deficiancies in vitaman D, which can lead to things like MS.

And, being as I prefer healthy balances, I take issue with the extremist frays of that "organization" as well.

Location hidden

#102046 May 2, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>You are purposely ignoring most of what was explained to you just so you can continue to claim there was a "miracle" when nothing out of the ordinary happened.
You weren't there. There is nothing you can explain to me. There is nothing you can educate me on here. It wasn't like we went to a general practitioner. We went to one of the best cancer doctors west of the Mississippi.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#102047 May 2, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I've gone over this before. I post under no other names. Why are you so fixated on that? You've accused me of posting under several other names in the past. I think at one point you accused me of being everyone who disagrees with you...or close to it.
Are you a conspiracy nut? Do you believe the moon landing was a hoax? Maybe the CIA is controlling your thoughts? Is the New World Order coming to take all your rights away?
Curious also thinks I "may be gary" just because I responded to his post.

Makes me think of the unfaithful husband who accuses his innocent wife of cheating.
Since he is doing it, he thinks everyone is...

I wonder if curious realizes that people who accuse others of doing something without any proof are generally doing that exact thing themselves.

Location hidden

#102048 May 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Show me the money.

Because from what I understand it is passages like this one that you base your belief on:

Gen 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.(KJV)

I mean, if this is what you call prophesy then your bar is indeed extremely low. This verse says literally NOTHING about the coming of Christ. And when you add up all the verses like it that are called "prophetic" you get a sum of zero.

The Hebrews did believe that the Messiah would come. It is very convenient for Christians to then find Hebrew passages stating their belief in the possibility of a coming Messiah as proof that Christ is that figure.

Imagine I wrote a novel stating that I think there will eventually be born the best novelist in history. Then, years later, some novelist comes along who is extremely popular and out sells most people. Then his fans find my book and claim that he is the fulfillment of my prophecy.

Its the same damn thing.
Please google prophecies of Jesus. Quickly you will see a long list of scripture that was fulfilled. I'm not sure why you think the examples of these prophecies are so general. They are very specific.

I thought you said you had read the Bible?

Location hidden

#102049 May 2, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Too broad brush paint stroked and compartmentalized for moi lol.
Aren't those contradictory terms? How can something be both too broad and too compartmentalized?

Location hidden

#102050 May 2, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>Some people actually think that way though, which I think is sad, rather than funny, because that would be like living life on the end of the strings of puppet masters. Not a very appealing thought, to have to exist in a world based upon the whims of manipulators. especially if they are evil!
Sorry, I don't remember anything from the Cosby schtick show or stand up comedic acting routine...finding that kind thing good for a momentary laugh maybe....bt not much else beyond that, mostly because it's make believe, far from anything real.
That's why it's called comedy.

Location hidden

#102051 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the propaganda tells you that looking for evidence is no way to find god? Of course it does, because it is impossible to find evidence for what does not exist.
That voice you hear is the brainwashing that told you to blindly believe.They are called thoughts.
It isn't propaganda that tells me this. I told you what God's plan was for why we were here, and why there is no proof.
Lets see if you listened. Can you tell me what I said about why we are here?

Location hidden

#102052 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If suffering is the only way to be a better person, then I suppose we should start torturing people. Or maybe, just maybe, you are wrong. Do you have the humility to think you just might be wrong?

If god is not causing the miracles, then who or what is causing them? I have asked this several times yet you keep skipping it. Is it the devil?
Sure I can admit I may be wrong. I don't have all the answers. I'm sharing my beliefs.

Well, I believe that God does cause miracles, so if you require a different source, why would you ask me to provide it?

Location hidden

#102053 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Seems no one is at that point in their life for the holy ghost to answer, because I have asked many and no one has answers.
If your god does not have good answers, I am inclined to not look to him for answers.
Well, let me look up what the prophets have said on this matter. I'll get back with you.

Location hidden

#102054 May 2, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious also thinks I "may be gary" just because I responded to his post.
Makes me think of the unfaithful husband who accuses his innocent wife of cheating.
Since he is doing it, he thinks everyone is...
I wonder if curious realizes that people who accuse others of doing something without any proof are generally doing that exact thing themselves.
I agree, he's projecting. I'm also sure he's thinking that you and I are the same person now.

I always picture him hunched over his keyboard mumbling incoherently to himself and periodically erupting with cackling laughter for no reason. More than likely that's not the way he is at all...but, it's the image I have of him.

Location hidden

#102055 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe, just maybe you are wrong. Do you have the humility to admit you could be wrong?
I do not need proof, I would be happy with just some evidence. Do you know the difference? I would be a bit pleased with just some logical answers, but you do not have them.
Of course I could admit I'm wrong. But I think I'm right so I will continue my path until shown otherwise, same as you.

What evidence do you want? That God is real? That there is one true church? That Jesus was the Son of God? Which one?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102056 May 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you guys have an extremely low bar for proof when it comes to Jesus, yet you want science to show you a crocoduck to accept evolution.
I don't care if Jesus claimed to be Michael Jackson and then said "Lo, Billy Jean surely shall not be mine".
Here's the problem with Ancient Interpretation: it is made up.
You dig through thousands of passages hunting for words or phrases than could possibly be interpreted in a certain way, such as to validate Jesus as a superhero. Obviously in a tome as wordy as the Bible you're GOING TO FIND IT. I can go to the Bible right now and find something that I could say points to Michael Jackson's birth, rise, and fall. It is not that hard to do.
The only reason you find this stuff compelling is that you believe in it already. You are not testing the idea, you are simply looking for validation of it. And when you pile up all these ridiculous fantasies the mound becomes so large you assume that means "good evidence".
Look up Modern Interpretation. This is the method of Bible interpretation that began sometime around the 17th century, particularly in Germany. Those are the guys who figured out that Genesis, for example, was written by no fewer than 3 different authors in 3 different times. The two different versions of creation in Genesis were written by two different authors. The story of Jacob blessing the 12 sons is a myth that explains how the 12 tribes of Israel came to be as they were. And so on.
Ancient Interpretation is pious in nature. It assumes the Bible is perfectly harmonious. Modern Interpretation is scientific and historical in nature. It assumes very little.
This is what I asked you

"Can you explain how this method of,Ancient Interpretation, when applied to all the prophecies that were fulfilled in Christ, invalidates them, and on what basis are they invalidated.?

Here is how you responded
"Here's the problem with Ancient Interpretation: it is made up.
You dig through thousands of passages hunting for words or phrases than could possibly be interpreted in a certain way, such as to validate Jesus as a superhero. Obviously in a tome as wordy as the Bible you're GOING TO FIND IT. I can go to the Bible right now and find something that I could say points to Michael Jackson's birth, rise, and fall. It is not that hard to do."

Since it is that easy,as you claim,Then,you should have no problem
providing me with 5 Biblical prophecies that point to Michael Jackson,,If you can't find them,then try to apply them to anyone else of your choosing... That should not be very hard for you to do.

By the way,your very simplistic response to a complex set of events that you clearly do not understand,has convinced me that,you do not understand

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102057 May 2, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
"curious",
I just wanted to add to your statement---there are over 360 prophecies in the Hebrew Scriptures(Old Testament) that point forward to Jesus and he fulfilled every one of them.
"your very simplistic response to a complex set of events that you clearly do not understand,has convinced me that,you do not understand" -curious
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102058 May 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Show me the money.

Because from what I understand it is passages like this one that you base your belief on:

Gen 3:15 - And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.(KJV)

I mean, if this is what you call prophesy then your bar is indeed extremely low. This verse says literally NOTHING about the coming of Christ. And when you add up all the verses like it that are called "prophetic" you get a sum of zero.

The Hebrews did believe that the Messiah would come. It is very convenient for Christians to then find Hebrew passages stating their belief in the possibility of a coming Messiah as proof that Christ is that figure.

Imagine I wrote a novel stating that I think there will eventually be born the best novelist in history. Then, years later, some novelist comes along who is extremely popular and out sells most people. Then his fans find my book and claim that he is the fulfillment of my prophecy."
==========
I say that your analogy is simplistic,at best,bordering on gibberish.

On the other hand,if you had accurately predicted where he was born,what type of novels he would write,exact location of his birthplace,what his nationality would be,the exact location of his headquarters,described the major problems he would encounter during his lifetime, and what caused his death,among other things,then one could conclude that HE is the fulfillment of your prophecy

Psalm 22:16-18:“Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.I can count all my bones
( Pierce my hands and my feet,I can count all my bones ,signifies crucifixion.

This prophecy was written long before crucifixion was invented )
; people stare and gloat over me. They divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothing.”

Likely the clearest prophecy about Jesus is the entire 53rd chapter of Isaiah. Isaiah 53:3-7 is especially unmistakable:“He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.”
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102059 May 2, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"your very simplistic response to a complex set of events that you clearly do not understand,has convinced me that,you do not understand" -curious
Hey,RustedChromeman,
Seems that your inflexible mind is not able to come up with an original thought,,,,,So CUTNPASTING some one elses has to suffice.

Obviously,you have not LEARNED anything
A wise man can learn more from a fools question,than a fool can learn from a wise answer

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 9 min ret 1,422
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Limbertwig 151,239
Alison Grimes, Not No, But Hell No! 18 min ivote 7
Beagle pups for sale 20 min Beagle pups for sale 4
missing dog beagle f london ky 24 min missing dog90 1
Kroger coupons 26 min sorry 2
A child molester from rockholds comes home 55 min Zophie88 1
•••
•••
•••

Keavy Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••