Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,206

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99552 Apr 13, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>... It would not have a human Male DNA sequence and only have Female Human base pairs.... That is if the story is true.....
Why?
If we are created in God's image, then he has a body too. So he would have DNA as well.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99553 Apr 13, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...another question that continues to give question!!
and science will solve the questions and give real answers instead of lettin ppl be ignorant to reality forever and just say God did it. and once science proves it u will have to adjust your whole "truth" to include the real truth just as they did about the earth being flat and earth being the center of the universe, and the earth sitting still as the sun revolved around it and all those other things that god didnt even know how worked until a scientist informed him. for a creator he sure is forgetful of his creation.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99554 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
You mean like claiming the Earth is 6000 years old, that Adam and Eve were the very first humans, that the Earth was submerged beneath a billion cubic miles of water 4500 years ago (and the 8 survivors repopulated the Earth and built the tower of Babel within a couple generations) and that Jonah recorded a speech he made to God from the belly of a fish?
That kind of arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
That is foolishness in your eyes,not mine.I posted the reasons why I believed Atheists are arrogant,foolish,misinformed and deceitful.
and can provide further evidence to support my views on that subject. Oddly enough,you did not take the opportunity to dispute my views,,,,You merely changed the subject,an old political trick
used by mediocre politicians when they find themselves in a bind.
Nice try

Location hidden

#99555 Apr 13, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>The story I told you about the man who turned a wand into a snake you did not believe, can you see why others would also doubt your friends story.

This may be off topic yet a point to be made.

There have been many reasons why people my lie to embellish themselves,to build faith in others or for personal gain.

Consider this lie about Vietnam soldiers being spit on after coming home from the war.

A Vietnam Vet myself, I have run across a few who claim they were spit on, yet never had witness any soldier spit on during my 4 years of active duty.To this day some who claim to have been spit on never even serve in Vietnam, some Vietnam I know of never was spit on.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2009/08/26/part-...
I don't remember that story but it sounds like a parlor trick with no real purpose. I have only witnessed answered prayers on things that help people.

Location hidden

#99556 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Explain that chronology to me again? The priests and prayers beat the 911 responders... Wow - your EMS coordinators are Really incompetent.
Long story (though an interesting one, if anybody wants to hear it.) When my uncle was a kid, he fell and almost bit his tongue off. No hospital, no priests, no medicines stronger than rock salt. It healed. A couple decades later (before I was born), he died in a motorcycle crash. But his heart restarted, so I guess you can curse me for talking to the dead.
No no. His father holds the priesthood. No priest was called. All worthy males in the LDS Church hold the priesthood.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99557 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a friend of mine. He had no reason to lie to me. He was a very honest man. His wife was honest too. And his son was too small to lie about something like this.
No I wasn't there, but I have no reason to doubt.
every person taht has ever lived has told lies. even if Jeus lived u can guarentee he lied and i can show u a lie of his on the bible fromt he sermon on the mount when he said ppl there would never die before the kingdom passed and him and the father returned but to my knowledge there are no ppl alive that are over 2000 yrs old today. so that makes jesus himself a false prophet and shows he lied. why your friend lied i have no idea but if the ear healed in a dark closet and no one even saw it heal then who is to say it was cut at all. maybe the child was playin a joke on his mom and dad. and further more who would put their child ina dark closet with it bleeding that way and the ear being hangin off, that itself kinda shows your friends as not being all that great of parents. they should have been makin sure he wasnt goin in to shock and other things instead of puttin him in a closet and prayin for god to heal it. i have to call BS on this one too but u did say u had more stories that u your self witnessed so maybe u should tell us one of those so that u can prove your claim first hand. it would be easier when u know that whole thing and was part of the situation.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99558 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just looking for the rest of the story. Did he get his dog back? How?
Looks like a post didn't make it or something. I'm on a cliffhanger. I won't sleep tonight.
he pointed out he post with the miracle part got deleted or something and he would repost but for some reason the repost never happened. he just rattled on about it gettin deleted and blah blah blah, ill repost and didnt. but he found time to reply to other threads even tho the miracle still hasnt been posted.

Location hidden

#99559 Apr 13, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>almost completely cut off is not an amputee. show me one person that has lost a limb that god miraculously helped out and put their limb back on. i almost cut my finger off but a good doctor with good medical science did a thing called surgery and then put stitches in it so it could heal back together...that my friend was no miracle. it was just common medical science knowledge about how to handle the problem. if they had cut my finger off and let the stitches heal then my finger grew back then i could say now that is a miracle. not one thing about a cut ear that got reattached is anything close to a miracle and i find it hilarious that u would even suggest that as a miracle when all it takes is stitches to put an ear back on that has been completely cut off as long as u get to the doctors before the ear is dead from lack of oxygen.
If you don't think that is a miracle, then you are one that would believe nothing. The child's ear was restored within minutes of if happening, I'm not talking about stitches and bandages. By the time the medics got there, there was nothing wrong with him.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99560 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
If we are created in God's image, then he has a body too. So he would have DNA as well.
So let me get this right God is a Human Being in a Human Body? Just has magical powers to go between dimensional states, make new human beings out of dirt and rib bones, create planets, stars and galaxies but has to write down his rules on rocks that men can break on a stump... Really? And you don't think sounds kinda Goofy?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99561 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't think that is a miracle, then you are one that would believe nothing. The child's ear was restored within minutes of if happening, I'm not talking about stitches and bandages. By the time the medics got there, there was nothing wrong with him.
Horsey Puckey Doo Doo.....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99562 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
What kind of DNA based brain would be able to hold all of the descriptors of every piece of information of the universe?
What kind of reasonable being defends the pre-bronze age notion that God created man instead of the simple and obvious truth that it was the other way around?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99563 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
im not sayin that wouldnt be a miracle cuiz it would be. im sayin your friends are liars. cant say it no clearer than that. funny that no one seen it happen, not even the parents. the put him in a closet and he came out fixed....lmao i said the kid could have just been playin a joke on them too. tehre are many factors and u just accepted it all as truth cuz u are part of the group and u think they wont lie to u but reality is everyone lies. especially the more religious they get, for example, the same cripple that gets healed at each new town as the revival travels across the country. hearsay and all that is not a miracle unless there is some proof when everyone knows that everyone lies.
mgz1

Berkeley, CA

#99564 Apr 13, 2013
I don't think mixing the teaching of the bible in high school is necessary. Since the kids are minors the parents are responsible for guiding their kids on which faith they want them to learn. When they reach 18 then the child who is now an adult can choose whatever faith or non-faith they want to follow. Public schools should be kept as a neutral zone when it comes to education. The mixing of church and state has been historically a bad mix.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99565 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No no. His father holds the priesthood. No priest was called. All worthy males in the LDS Church hold the priesthood.
What do you think is "miraculous" about a fleshy and cartilaginous piece of flesh knitting? Do you seriously think the parent was going to tug on the ear to see if he could get it to come back off, or do you suppose he was going to keep it compressed in place for as long as possible?

So "worthy males" of the LDS are able to leash the POWER of GOD to their beck and call... umm.. yeah, okay. Worked well enough for Bishop Willard.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99566 Apr 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is foolishness in your eyes,not mine.I posted the reasons why I believed Atheists are arrogant,foolish,misinformed and deceitful.
and can provide further evidence to support my views on that subject. Oddly enough,you did not take the opportunity to dispute my views,,,,You merely changed the subject,an old political trick
used by mediocre politicians when they find themselves in a bind.
Nice try
You mean I was supposed to respond to the "content" of post #99487?
There WASN'T ANY.
I didn't change the topic, I just held up a mirror.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#99567 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe the moon and sun are inhabited?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99568 Apr 13, 2013
Bearsfan wrote:
I didn't read through all the comments, but I will say, I believe in the power of prayer. I was diagnosed with cancer almost 9 years ago. Things did not look good for me at all. I had many many people, friends and family praying for me, and I am cancer free today. I do not think all of it is due to medical science, I fully believe in divine intervention. I am convinced if not for all the prayers, I would not be here today. Even my Dr. was totally amazed.
I am VERY glad you doing good. That is awesome! I mean that with all sincerity.

But you are committing the fallacy called post hoc ergo propter hoc", the same as the other poster (do whut):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_pr...

"Latin for "after this, therefore because of this", is a logical fallacy (of the questionable cause variety) that states "Since that event followed this one, that event must have been caused by this one." It is often shortened to simply post hoc."

You got sick. People prayed. You got better. In your heart you want to believe it was God answering prayers. But didn't you go to the doctor? Did you do the standard cancer treatments?

Which is more likely:

1) You got sick, took medicine, and got better as a combination of medical care and the natural course of the illness.

2) People said prayers and a deity used its magic to fix you.

If you think #2 is more likely then how do you explain the millions of people who also receive prayers who do NOT recover in this way? Does God simply not love them?

Isn't it more likely that this is how nature works and that medical science - imperfect as it is - can in fact help?

Doesn't giving the glory to God sort of send a slap in the face of all the professionals who have fought this terrible set of diseases with science and hard work? I think it does.

I also think it is a dangerous message to send. Have you read any of the news stories about people who believe so much in God and prayers that they simply didn't go to the doctor...and died? There was that teenage boy last year who had a leg injury and his parents - Christians who shun medicine - didn't take him to the hospital. They just prayed. So his leg got infected and he died a miserable, painful death.

God had something against that kid?

Location hidden

#99569 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Except the black ones. They aren't white and delightsome.

Oh..wait...your Prophet got a revelation or phone call from God in the 70s that said, reluctantly, the dark ones can have the Priesthood too.

Kinda right in line with the victories of the Civil Rights movement. Huh...funny that. Sort of like Joseph Smith getting a revelation from God that it's ok to marry multiple women...after he had already been doing multiple women in secret.

Nice.
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99570 Apr 13, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
and science will solve the questions and give real answers instead of lettin ppl be ignorant to reality forever and just say God did it. and once science proves it u will have to adjust your whole "truth" to include the real truth just as they did about the earth being flat and earth being the center of the universe, and the earth sitting still as the sun revolved around it and all those other things that god didnt even know how worked until a scientist informed him. for a creator he sure is forgetful of his creation.
And until that day, that proves or disproves that wich we do NOT know, I will keep my faith as well, for all the right reasons.

Location hidden

#99571 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you do. Just as you doubt anything that happened in the Bible. Anything short of Jesus Christ appearing before each individual to perform a miracle that could not have happened medically would not be enough for most people to believe. And even then people would question what they had seen. It's human nature.
This wasn't a claim, this happened to someone. It's not a theory.
And I have other stories that I was personally a witness to that have convinced me that prayer works. I have shared them on here before.
See my previous post to Bearsfan because it is intended to answer this one too.

Here's one of the problems I have with what you're saying.

Let's say you have a friend who falls off a ladder and breaks his neck. He's lying on the ground, dying. You pray for him. Immediately following your prayer he wakes up, rubs his neck, gets up, and walks away.

That would be AMAZING. But guess what? It would not be proof that prayer works. That is not how we evaluate extreme claims. Now, if he was bleeding and you applied pressure to the wound we could say the pressure helped stop the bleeding. We've seen that a million times and we know it works.

Prayer is magic. We have no evidence or experience with magic. So making a claim that magic works, even in the extreme neck breaking example, would not be sufficient to prove it. You would have to produce some kind of viable hypothesis and then do experiments or observations to support the hypothesis.

We have done this several times with prayer. Prayer has no efficacy in controlled studies. So the only way to believe in it is to simply have faith. And faith is NOT reality. It is just faith. Baseless, empty, and irrational.

I know that isn't something you will accept but it is a fact. This is how reality works and this is how we navigate reality. We do not do it by faith, we do it by reason and evidence. Otherwise we would have prayed polio away instead of doing it with science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what jobs hire with no drug test? (Apr '14) 13 min NonSmok3rsAreLos3rs 21
last of the mohecans 1 hr santa 27
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 1 hr Walk with God 728
Above the law 3 hr are u a ti 7
best place for short trendy haircut 4 hr neighbor 6
High School: Islamic vocabulary lesson part of ... 5 hr wowed 15
dem the real party of the rich 5 hr fred g 5
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web