Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
93,461 - 93,480 of 130,550 Comments Last updated 7 hrs ago
Really

United States

#97801 Mar 29, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
Your children will see what you're all about by what you live rather than what you say.
so if we're not happy out kids will not be??

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#97802 Mar 29, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text> so if we're not happy out kids will not be??
That is usually true. Children in a happy loving home turn out well balanced and children from unhappy homes turn out to be followers of a cult

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#97803 Mar 29, 2013
Many people have pointed out that I am a religious nut, some even call my religion a cult.
True, but my religion does not pry in to others personal life, does not violate others rights,(unless you are violating my rights) we do not harm anything for any reason other than survival and we are kind and good.
The christian cult is the opposite of us, they are evil, judging others, condemning others, prying where they have no business, killing and raping evil
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97804 Mar 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Seems that some spokesman for God always PRAISES God's wrath for BRINGING disaster to punish the sinners. Andrew hit Miami because of homos? Charlie hit central Florida because of "gay days?" Katrina hit New Orleans because of Mardi Gras? There are always religies thankful to God for someone else's suffering.
<quoted text>
That's why they call it "blind faith."
Is that one of things things that make some go hmmm category?
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97805 Mar 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight. The vast majority of Christians do not condemn Wicca, they actually support it? What Jr. High school did YOU gradeeate frum?
The juneeyor high school uf take a poll for doofuses.

Tsk. Geez.
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97806 Mar 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
And I posted my dog's name one time. Find it.
fiest? Oscar? Hey you lab looking thing?

lol
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97807 Mar 29, 2013
Constitutional Warrior wrote:
if a parent wants their kids exposed to the bible, then it should be on the parents. not tax paying citizens. Many christian private schools offer bible studies, and i do not believe our government should teach religion. who strongly believe in the constitution and where it states, "separation of CHURCH and STATE" and the bill of rights where one has the right of freedom of religion? what if it was a Jewish bible class up for discussion? we wouldn't be having a discussion now would we?
Probably, being as the Bible is partly reiterated from the Jewish Tanakuh.

Isn't it amazing how unbalanced some people get when they "think" others might actually read something for themselves! Can you imagine how those same types would act, watching people walk into a public library!!!!
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97808 Mar 29, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
The Mormon church here says that they are direct decedents of the pure Jewish blood line so they are gods chosen people, they are the ruling race of people and they are above all others.
So they are no different than other christians, using religion to elevate themselves and defame others.
Social status and wealth are the god of the christian cult
That's how LONG some faiths have been in existance.

The Holy Scriptures — The Tanakh:

Table of Contents

Navi - Prophets

Ketuvim - Writings

Joshua
Judges
I Samuel
II Samuel
I Kings
II Kings
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Ezekiel

Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

Psalms
Proverbs
Job
Song of Songs
Ruth
Lamentations
Ecclesiastes

Esther
Daniel
Ezra
Nehemiah
I Chronicles
II Chronicles
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97809 Mar 29, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>What about a Satanic bible class? How about prayer to Satan in school?
It's probably covered in advanced Theological degrees.
Paganeatereggs

London, KY

#97810 Mar 29, 2013
Constitutional Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
my grandmother pulled me out of school and tried to sue them for me reading a book on greek mythology. she is a penicostal, and crazy as a bat. me on the other hand, i would rather my child learn from mother therisa, ghandi, or even sarah palin before i would want them to read about abraham almost killing his son. or noah's sons violating him in his sleep, or of an angel of death that kills every first born of egypt. i dont want my son asking me "daddy are u going to kill me? daddy, should i molest yuou when ur drunk passed out? daddy will god kill me if i dont do what he says?" read it in its entirety, and yes you will find a lot of good from the book. but u will also find a lot of boozing, a lot of death, and a lot of "do this or i will fucking spank you"... those are not the morals i want for my kids
That is WHY, genuine theological subject matter is generally presented at far more advanced instructional levels, by way of a learner's CHOICE to do so, rather than just merely forcefed from some appropriated soap box of self per say.

It takes actual enlightenment, and enlightened environments, to enlighten, and to allow for free thinkers to do just that, with out having material be subjected and leveled down to just biased, mere opinion.
TruthIs

London, KY

#97811 Mar 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I see. So we can and should just cancel the entire arm of science called psychiatry and every industry related to it because all 'rightness' of being is inspired by cosmic supernatural forces. Delusions are sacred, hallucinations are divine visions, psychopaths are demon possessed and conscienceless sociopaths just fail to hear the Voice of God.
Hallelujah and Amen Brothers, Welcome to the Borneo of the West! The state of mind where all the sanity you ever need is supplied by preachers, prayer and prostration.
See now that is where there seems to be a problem for some (including those that wish to lump and label ANY sector of society with same ignorant broad brush strokes) in differentiating between peoples harmless personal beliefs, and psycho-socioIllogical behaviors.
That type of brandishing is either
A. Outright Ignorance (willful or otherwise)
or
B. Psycho-Socio ILLogical.

Because, many times, there IS a difference.
TruthIs

London, KY

#97812 Mar 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, talk about putting words in someone's mouth.
I'm not against science, or psychiatry, or physiology. Never did I even allude to that.
Keep posting.:-)
TruthIs

London, KY

#97813 Mar 29, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Many people have pointed out that I am a religious nut, some even call my religion a cult.
True, but my religion does not pry in to others personal life, does not violate others rights,(unless you are violating my rights) we do not harm anything for any reason other than survival and we are kind and good.
The christian cult is the opposite of us, they are evil, judging others, condemning others, prying where they have no business, killing and raping evil
You must've had some bad experiences in dealing with people who've used the label of "Christianity" to act however?
I don't think ALL people who might believe in much of the good found with in, are all evil. That would be like saying ALL NON believers of any faith, are all "good". That's just SO far from any kind of real truth, it's rather pathetic, and very Illogical and irrational.
TruthIs

London, KY

#97814 Mar 29, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
As in as well-the same as saying it's okay for any/all "atheists" to act however, because they are "atheist" or trying to apply any other labelduhm label to anything to Use it as nothing but an excuse.

And that type of thing in and of itself, is "evil", "ignorant" or "socio-illogically" warped.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#97815 Mar 29, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Wicca is the christian version of magik or witchcraft.
I'm not sure I would use the term "christian version" to describe Wicca, but I know what you are getting at.
I was a practicing Wiccan witch for a while but eventually realized that the foolishness I saw in Christianity was exactly the same as in Wicca.

Many Wiccans that I know sound just like Christians. "Oh, I prayed to the Goddess for this or that," or "I thanked the Goddess for giving me whatever it was that I wanted."
They are anthropomorphizing an invisible deity. Lots of that kind of thinking going around, sadly.

I am a happy atheist now. Reality matters to me.
I can enjoy a mystery without having to label it or having to makeup an explanation.

Don't get me wrong...I love mythology. My copy of the bible joins Bullfinch's Mythology, the Iliad, the Odessey, the Elder and Younger Eddas, Grimm's Fairy tales, and the Lord of the Rings on my bookshelves.(All of which are better reading than it is.)
Fantasy is entertaining, and, at its best, educational.
It just shouldn't be confused with reality.

pat

Mount Ida, AR

#97816 Mar 29, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy MOSES lol u can b a BACTERIA if u want. I'm a child of the KING
Not sure which book you read but not the one I read. CRAZINESS U SPEAK. rofl. God bless you and may He open your eyes and ears to the TRUTH before your last breath
...please, spare me...I do not fear death...do you remember before you where born???...???.well, I'm positive that's how it will be when were dead.....no pearly gates, no fire filled hell...I'm not stressin' on answering to noone besides those damn microbes that turn us into carbon.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#97817 Mar 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize you will have to explain to him what a "fallacy" is right?
Crap, I forgot about that part.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#97818 Mar 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Still not a good comparison. I don't know one single adult that has ever said they felt the presence, or influence of the tooth fairy. Nor have I met an old person that is full of wisdom and life experience devote their life to Santa Claus.
People's experiences with God are real, and they are personal. That's the cool thing about it. You have your own relationship with God. My experiences won't mean squat to you, but once you feel the Holy Spirit, you then know for yourself, and you want to share it with others, to which it will not mean squat to.
Leprechauns ... some people had even swore to catching them. There is more evidence supporting leprechauns than any of the proposed gods, any of them. There's more evidence of Zeus than the christian god even. Just consider your sources for a moment, then consider who has the greater incentive to lie ...

Religious leaders:
1. Money comes from the followers.
2. Their influence over the followers garners them political power.
3. They have more rights in the area with the same religious belief.

Atheist/Agnostic:
1. No followers, therefore no money.
2. Must stand on your own demonstrated value and worth for opinions.
3. Act right without the threat of punishment or reward.
4. Risk not only losing rights but also risk bodily harm by admitting to it.

Who has the reasons to lie?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#97820 Mar 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that we are God's purpose. We are His children and He wants the best for us. He has promised us all He has if we just follow His commandments. We are in a progression state to become like Him. His involvement is to help us when we need it. The whole point of this experience is to become more like Him.
Just like our own children, if we hold their hand every step of the way, they don't learn how to make decisions on their own. We intervene when necessary. And sometimes we have to let our children learn things the hard way. His relationship with us is very similar to our relationship with our children.
Really? If one of my kids was about to be...oh....I don't know...raped and murdered and tossed down a well, and I had the power to stop it, guess what I would do?

I'd stop it.

The god-as-parent argument is, to me, ridiculous. Unless god is just as fallible and weak as a human parent. But that's not the God you believe in. Your God can create universes and orchestrate the entire human condition.

He could stop a rape and murder.

Why doesn't he?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#97821 Mar 30, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the Mormons bring in over 7 billion a year in tax free tithing, I'm sure others religions do even better.
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...

"The home in the photo (above) is the $1.75 million mansion of the Reverend Randy White, the former head pastor of Without Walls International Church in Tampa, Florida. While some people may be bothered by the fact that there are pastors who live in multimillion dollar homes, this is old news to most. But here is what should bother you about these expensive homes: You are helping to pay for them! You pay for them indirectly, the same way local, state, and federal governments in the United States subsidize religion—to the tune of about $71 billion every year."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 min Jay 151,294
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 25 min Me 1,591
Forcht Bank 1 hr findanewbank 3
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,601
Joyce Meyer-the multimillionaire hypocrite (Oct '10) 3 hr Memyselfandi 105
Preachers/Deacons Cant Have 2 Living Wifes 3 hr question 78
Why does Whitley County not clean up Bambi Cour... 4 hr Shocked in Whitle... 3
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Laurel County was issued at August 30 at 8:24PM EDT

•••