Schwans Route Drivers

Posted in the Keavy Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
JODIEMEEKS4PREZ

AOL

#1 Jan 27, 2009
Does anyone know what they make. Is it a good place to work. Any info would be helpful.
ky guy

Lexington, KY

#2 Jan 27, 2009
they make pretty good but not hiring right now ive allready applied nothing related to sales will be hiring for awhile
UKBLUE

Booneville, KY

#3 Jan 27, 2009
I worked for Schwans for over 2 years. At that time they paid straight 11% commision. NOthing more. They have changed that now. U get a base salary plus commission if u hit certain sales per week. The goals they give u to hit are achievable but not easy. Especially in this economy. I do know that Schwans is ALWAYS hiring. ALWAYS. But, remember this. You will work 60-70 hours per week. Normally 6 days per week.
I finally woke up

Pikeville, KY

#4 Oct 6, 2009
You don't want to work for this company. I have given them many years of my life taking time away from my family and never having time for myself due to my dedication to this company. It is never enough and it just keeps getting worse and worse. It is a sales company so you have to sell, but they don't seem to understand the economy right now and its not just that way in London, its every where. They want you to give your life for them and like an idiot I did for many years until they crapped on me like they do every body else. The money might be appealing, but trust me no amount of money is worth the crap they will put you through.
lexingtonguy

Taylorsville, KY

#5 Oct 7, 2009
did you work out of London or Winchester? I have been offered a job as a driver, could you tell me a little more?
I finally woke up wrote:
You don't want to work for this company. I have given them many years of my life taking time away from my family and never having time for myself due to my dedication to this company. It is never enough and it just keeps getting worse and worse. It is a sales company so you have to sell, but they don't seem to understand the economy right now and its not just that way in London, its every where. They want you to give your life for them and like an idiot I did for many years until they crapped on me like they do every body else. The money might be appealing, but trust me no amount of money is worth the crap they will put you through.
I know

Somerset, KY

#6 Oct 7, 2009
You would be better off to work at mickey ds. On a week you may average 5.00 an hour when you total it all up. You work from daylight to about 11:00 6 days a week..
curious

Somerset, KY

#7 Oct 7, 2009
how much pay?
lexingtonguy

Taylorsville, KY

#8 Oct 7, 2009
To 11pm?? Wow, well I am looking into this carfully. I use to be a restaurant manager at Applebee's here in Lexington, and I got tired of working 3pm to sometimes 4 am.
There starting salary is $32K base, and the guy told me that most drivers get up to about $50K within a year to year and a half.
haha

London, KY

#9 Oct 7, 2009
they hire through a job shop you work 40 hrs a week till you come off the job shop then you best be prepared to working at least six days a week fourteen to sixteen hours a day good check but poor pay for the hours you work.
I know

Somerset, KY

#10 Oct 7, 2009
Well if its such a good deal why are you asking everybody about it. Sounds to me like your convinced go work for chickens feed..LOL
bitsnbytes

Wilmington, MA

#11 Nov 9, 2009
This guy describes life as a Schwan's driver: 65-hour weeks, sales quotas that must be filled, and mandatory holiday work.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Employees/Schwan-...

A friend of mine is also a current Schwan's guy, and describes his work week similarly.
ha ha

Corbin, KY

#12 Nov 9, 2009
my brother works there out of winchester, his route is in lexington, he works about 11-12 hours every day but he doesn't complain, he said its alright, hell, he calls me for hours at a time bored.... so, its obviously not that damn hard, so u might have to work awhile, oh well, aint like u cant stop and see ur wife for alittle bit or somethin on lunch, grow up, life sucks and u have to work alot.
my opinion

London, KY

#13 Nov 10, 2009
my opinion is that working for schwans would be equal to being a slave, my husband and i see their trucks out as late as 9:00 p.m. or later.. this seems cruel considering that they start so early..schwans is the one place that seems not to take their employees needs into consideration.. i would say don't work for them i know people are desperate for jobs but don't take a job that would be likely to ruin your life..
Just Wondering

London, KY

#14 Feb 9, 2010
I work at Schwan's and have for 10 years. I have managed to allow my wife to stay home with my beautiful children through the week because the income can be great. It all depends if you are great or a lazy slob. Work and make all kinds of money. Bluegrass District is where you want to be if you are starting new. London, Ky is ranked in the top 3 sales companies in the nation. Good look getting on here, but it don't matter where you go. You are selling the same great food to the same great people. It is rarely six days a week. If it stays that way long, get out.....your wasting your time and Schwan's time. If you want to make something of yourself and make your family grow, come work for Schwan's. Every customer you get to know will be your best friend. Wow, what a hard job. Stop and visit people you consider to be like family and make money. Don't be stupid if you decide to go work there. Weekends are for my family. That's a choice. What you want to do. Work 8 hours a day making nothing for your family and still not see them as much as you would like. Or, make enough money to go out of town on any given weekend and enjoy life?
Tim

Richmond, KY

#15 Oct 14, 2010
Do they still have the step down program, where you lose salary and work on commission only after a period of time? And if you have a big regular route but don't continually sign new customers, do they fire you?
ex csm

United States

#16 Oct 30, 2010
Hey it all sounds like we have been there. And that we have all probably heard the good and bad of schwans. But the only thing people really need to look at is that there is NO work/life balance when you are working for schwans. If you do what you are supposed to do and be out selling for 12 hours and then add another hour or two for paperwork and what not and that leaves little time for family ando friends. I don't know about everybody out there but I work so I can afford to live. I don't live to work. That's what it takes to be a good schwans man plain and simple. Sign your life over, divorce your wife (or just let her divorce you), forget what your kids look like and you'll do well at schwans. If you want to see your son play t-ball, your daughter go to dance, play around of golf with your buds, go hunting with your old man and brother, and see your wife or husband schwans issue not for you.
424 potroast

Poughkeepsie, NY

#18 Nov 5, 2010
I am a CSM for Schwan's in the northeast. I'm up at 6:00 am and am lucky to be home by 11:00 pm. 5 days a week. I have a wife and 3 kids. I see them on the weekends. This is a slave company. You never work enough hours or sell enough food. They do pressure you to sell more and add new customers all the time. The threat is termination if you dont meet sales goals. Think this job is great? Try backing one of their stupid trucks up a twisty driveway in the dark off a busy highway at 8:30pm at night. Then do it 20 times every night. Rain? Sleet? Snow? Nothing stops the Schwan man. Your outside pulling frozen food off a truck in the dark regardless of weather. No rain gear either. Schwans jackets arent really rainproof. You get soaking wet all the time. God forbid if you get sick. You're looked at as weak and lame. You must make up that sick day too. Schwan doesnt pay you for sick days or holidays. You must work a weekend off day to cover for any sick time or holiday time. No exceptions. This job sucks. Do yourself a favor. Don't even dream of working here. Every day is a living hell.
as a customer

London, KY

#20 Dec 11, 2010
as a customer i can say that they work very long hours, one night i was in the bed and heard a truck in my driveway it was schawam, it was after 10.15p.m and i got up and the driver acted like it was 10.15 am i asked him what are you doing here this time of night he said , well i am not done an have to get all of my customers and he told me i still have 5 more to go to i might get them all by 12.00 am .i said man want they be in bed well i have to try if they are i have to get them up .i told him dont come back to my place this time of night and i have gone through i bet 5 drivers in as little time as less than a year, they all have told me start at 6.00am if lucky will be done and home by 12.30 or 1.am. and they all are worn out i have my come bye now at, 11 00 am cause i called the head of the company the next day, that is what the driver told me to do if i didnt want a late service like that again, they run when they are unloading at my house and always on the go.
onlyoneknows

Charleston, WV

#23 Jan 25, 2011
DO NOT WORK FOR SCHWANS I DID FOR 9 VERY LONG YEARS. The only thing schwans cars about is MONEY!!!!!
many different drivers

London, KY

#24 Jan 25, 2011
i buy schwan's foods, i dont know how many drivers i have had in less than 2 years. i have to e mail them alot when they dont show up on the day they have me to stop like it is ever other wed. i had to e mail them last week they showed up on sat. about 11.00am. they send me a e mail and told me that they work till 10.00pm and they could come before then.so all the drivers i talk with say the same thing we never see home but on Sunday, and late at night, dont sound to good if you are a family man, now if you are single and dont care about getting home you can make the good bucks, if i was a going to do that go on to truck driving school, and drive the big rigs and make the big money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hey porters do not sell boozes 7 min FYI 2
Daily Bible Verse (Oct '12) 45 min Walk with God 1,212
S and j wholesale pallets 48 min Broker 1
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr LMS 148,316
twin valley road eyesore 2 hr real estate 1
Walk to Emmaus DECEPTION or NOt? (Nov '12) 2 hr Phil GG 520
liar liar liar 3 hr Rebecca 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keavy Mortgages