Galilean Children's Home near Corbin, Ky

“I calls em like I sees em”

Since: Jul 09

I Live Online

#1545 Nov 25, 2011
bump to top
Anonymous

Nicholasville, KY

#1546 Dec 7, 2011
Pearl wrote:
I am doing some research on the Galilean Children's Home that was located on Bee Creek. It was an orphanage and was in existence from the mid 1930's to the late 1950's. It was eventually closed due to very inappropriate behavior by the Rev. John Vogel who ran the home. Does anyone know who the county attorney was that procecuted Vogel around 1958? I have read both Rev Vogel and his daughter's books and am still trying to gather information. Any comments on this subject are welcome.
Was there any connection between this family (the Vogels) and the Tuckers who started the Liberty, KY Galilean Children's Ministry near Liberty, KY?
Badrap

United States

#1548 Dec 8, 2011
I've heard a lot about the Galilean Children's Ministry in Liberty, KY but have never heard of any links to the old place. This new "Ministry" has a whole different set of problems and scandals. If all the Amish and Mennonite people really knew what goes on behind those slick dress and bonnet wearing photo ops I doubt they would support it. The Mennonites here talk bad about it. Seems immoral behavior thrives in these type of religious "ministries". But I'm just worried now that I won't be able to enjoy a leg of chicken at KFC with that dirty old man looking down at me. Sad.
Rumors

Roanoke, VA

#1549 Jan 14, 2012
Badrap wrote:
I've heard a lot about the Galilean Children's Ministry in Liberty, KY but have never heard of any links to the old place. This new "Ministry" has a whole different set of problems and scandals. If all the Amish and Mennonite people really knew what goes on behind those slick dress and bonnet wearing photo ops I doubt they would support it. The Mennonites here talk bad about it. Seems immoral behavior thrives in these type of religious "ministries". But I'm just worried now that I won't be able to enjoy a leg of chicken at KFC with that dirty old man looking down at me. Sad.
My dad was in this home during the 40s, he has told me how Harland Sanders personally took the kids
to his home for Thanksgiving. He gave a scholarship to my father. He sent the kids on a trip to see the white
house in DC. Male & Female alike he helped the children. Dad never remembers inappropriate behavior
with any kids, but says there was a secretary that was forced to leave for misconduct. We have never found
any relatives of my father, but the home was a blessing for him. He has stated that the work was sometimes hard, but he was better for it. He has been successful in life & blessed with a wonderful wife and 5 kids.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#1550 Apr 25, 2012
EWJ wrote:
Trudie,
My dad wanted me to ask you if you Wanita and her sister which I cant remember her name and Wanita most likely is spelled incorrectly. But they are his cousins, also is the "Earl" In the picture is this Earl Wilson?
I am the niece of Juanita and Ruby...they are named Carlita and Pearl in the book "Ninety Brothers and Sister". How are you related? My mother is Norma Powell.
chicken choker

Somerset, KY

#1551 Apr 27, 2012
It Happened wrote:
My Grand-Father died when he was 98 (108 if alive). He told us about the children's home & the abuse that took place there. And yes, our KFC fellow WAS involved. It would hurt the area reputation if that got out and it was effectively covered up!
He was hung like a rooster.
Irene

Dayton, OH

#1552 Apr 27, 2012
All these people that are now saying that the abuse was going on,and truly had a reliable source of information, did they try to stop it?

I was there and do not recall the abuse and my older sister, who would have been around 16 when the home broke up said it did not happen.
BeeCreek

Pine Knot, KY

#1553 Apr 27, 2012
I lived on bee creek in them days and rode the school bus to the galilean home to pick up two or three kids from there, it was known as the Vogal road back then,, there was a shy dark haired girl that boarded the bus, I think she was a Tucker and would of been about 14 or so. We all knew something weird was going on but the Tucker girl was quiet concerning the camp. The rumors of child molestation was alive then for sure and many parents did not allow their kids to visit any of their friends that lived at the Galilean due to the fear of abuse.
just saying

Nerinx, KY

#1554 Apr 27, 2012
dad was from the hood wrote:
my dad was raised in the neighborhood around the home. he told us that there was a very prominent business man involved in that also. he said that total there were 3 men and they were all run out of town under threat of being tarred and feathered. one became a well known resturanteer (cant spell) worldwide! if my dad was alive he would be 80 yrs old.
that would be Colonel Sanders.
interested

Leander, TX

#1555 May 10, 2012
when and where was the trial of mr. vogel that had the hung jury? who were the attorneys on both sides and the judge? witnesses? what happened to the children who were at the home when it was closed down? i would like to research this topic to find out if i am related to any of the kids who were at the home. thank you.

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1556 Jul 18, 2012
Irene wrote:
All these people that are now saying that the abuse was going on,and truly had a reliable source of information, did they try to stop it?
I was there and do not recall the abuse and my older sister, who would have been around 16 when the home broke up said it did not happen.
Irene is your last name Cecil?

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1557 Jul 18, 2012
interested wrote:
when and where was the trial of mr. vogel that had the hung jury? who were the attorneys on both sides and the judge? witnesses? what happened to the children who were at the home when it was closed down? i would like to research this topic to find out if i am related to any of the kids who were at the home. thank you.
contact me , [email protected]

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1558 Jul 18, 2012
interested wrote:
when and where was the trial of mr. vogel that had the hung jury? who were the attorneys on both sides and the judge? witnesses? what happened to the children who were at the home when it was closed down? i would like to research this topic to find out if i am related to any of the kids who were at the home. thank you.
I think if you read the topix you will find the names of the attorneys.
Irene

Troy, OH

#1559 Jul 18, 2012
Trudie Edwards DePriest wrote:
<quoted text>
Irene is your last name Cecil?
Hi Trudie, Yes my last was Cecil. I remember you and your sister Judy.
I too am proud to be from The GCH. I do not know what would have become of me, Pete, Nola and Goldia, my siblings.

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1560 Jul 18, 2012
Irene wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Trudie, Yes my last was Cecil. I remember you and your sister Judy.
I too am proud to be from The GCH. I do not know what would have become of me, Pete, Nola and Goldia, my siblings.
I remember all of you so well. I remember how much Aunt Bess loved Nola June. Wow, our trip to Florida and moving to Yalaha. and the men spraying for bugs on the road by the orange groves. Beverly has been wanting to find you. I am visiting my son Andy in Michigan and don't have her address with me. Contact me [email protected] and I will get it to you next week. I live in Tennessee. Good to hear from you. Trudie
Searching

Dalton, GA

#1561 Jul 19, 2012
My mother in law was in that home. Her last name was cupp and she has been trying to find out who her father was but it seems someone doesnt want her to know as the records from the home Which had his name were burned and it seems that everytime we get close the person with the info dies mysteriously. Her mother was Nannie marie cupp any idea who the father was?

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1562 Jul 19, 2012
Searching wrote:
My mother in law was in that home. Her last name was cupp and she has been trying to find out who her father was but it seems someone doesnt want her to know as the records from the home Which had his name were burned and it seems that everytime we get close the person with the info dies mysteriously. Her mother was Nannie marie cupp any idea who the father was?
The only Cupp I remembr is Molly, she had two brothers, Arley and Jessie. The home closed it's doors in 1959. That was after we (the GCH) had moved to Florida. I would suggest that maybe you could contact the Williamsburg Court in KY and check there since all children that entered the home, whom ever brought them there had to go there and sign papers. Trudie

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1563 Jul 19, 2012
searching, could you give me a first name
Searching

Chatsworth, GA

#1564 Jul 19, 2012
It is molly

“I'm A "GCH KID" AM PROUD OF IT”

Since: Feb 09

GCH CORBIN KY

#1565 Jul 19, 2012
Searching wrote:
It is molly
I did get to meet Molly several years ago at the GCH. We had a small reunion and she came. It was so good to see her. I know that one of her brothers was adopted seems he could find out from his adopted parents or he himself could delve for the answer only if he would. Molly was in a different building than I but I always remembered her because she was so small and delicate. I hope she is well. I don't have a land line any more and I sorta lost contact with her. Are you the one who contacted my church? They sent me an email that someone from the GCH was looking for me. Trudie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charlie (chuck) gray 9 min Looking 3
Seem like London gets more restaurants then cor... 17 min Go london 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 21 min CriminalForever 159,585
Truck that almost hit my child 44 min Moore 11
Whiny little bitch 3 hr HaHa 3
Woman Runs Naked With Corbin Track Team 3 hr gayinlex 6
Place to live 3 hr James ctter 1

Keavy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keavy Mortgages