pissed off

London, KY

#67 Sep 26, 2013
well you will not be giving me a course in writing. have you been to cotton eyed joes lately.
Ten Four

United States

#68 Sep 26, 2013
LoveMoreTaxes wrote:
How come 5 people can increase taxes for an entire county? How many people in Laurel County have had raises in the last 10+ years? How many of the board members, administrative office personnel have degrees in Finance and\or Business administration? I went to Laurel County schools for 13 years, never once were asked to do fundraisers, unless it was for a trip or something. Now it's a monthly thing to ask for some student asking for a donation. Why don't we get some people with actual business knowledge and run these schools like a business. If a teacher does well, give him or her a bonus. Poor performing teachers should get wrote up or put on probation until they improve. We have the nicest playgrounds in the state, but why? Does a school need 3-4 different sets of playground equipment... a set for each grade?
It would be nice to have some one with a Business or Finance Degree on the School Board. However, I have yet to meet anyone with these Degrees willing to run for the office.
Sinking ship

United States

#69 Sep 26, 2013
surfboard wrote:
<quoted text>Oh come on now. You are not familiar enough with the school system to know if it is in mess or not. All you care about is Roll Tide Roll.
Oh come on remove your lips from the Butts
Taxed max

United States

#70 Sep 26, 2013
Ten Four wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be nice to have some one with a Business or Finance Degree on the School Board. However, I have yet to meet anyone with these Degrees willing to run for the office.
yea right educated...lol. That's a good one! No one ever runs so they have to settle for what they got! Wish they would spend some tax money and buy them all an award for managing to ruin what was five or six years ago areally good school system! Showing in the class room and our sports programs
Spinner

United States

#71 Sep 27, 2013
Where all dat money go? Who dat takin all dat money? Who dat?
cpa

London, KY

#72 Sep 27, 2013
Spinner wrote:
Where all dat money go? Who dat takin all dat money? Who dat?
You know nothing about school district finance. The school board financial records are audited annually by an independent certified public accountant. If something did not appear to be right, it would be thoroughly checked out.
curious

Corbin, KY

#73 Sep 27, 2013
Who hires the firm that audits the board finances? Who owns the businesses where the school board buys things?

Fencing, computers, supplies, car companies? Follow the money. They control the purse strings and do the hiring and firing.
Red dog

United States

#74 Sep 27, 2013
cpa wrote:
<quoted text>You know nothing about school district finance. The school board financial records are audited annually by an independent certified public accountant. If something did not appear to be right, it would be thoroughly checked out.
Dat you?
Keep it low

United States

#75 Sep 27, 2013
curious wrote:
Who hires the firm that audits the board finances? Who owns the businesses where the school board buys things?
Fencing, computers, supplies, car companies? Follow the money. They control the purse strings and do the hiring and firing.
you might just be on to something....lol. CPA is not as smart as they thing they are....lol
Swamp land

United States

#76 Sep 27, 2013
cpa wrote:
<quoted text>You know nothing about school district finance. The school board financial records are audited annually by an independent certified public accountant. If something did not appear to be right, it would be thoroughly checked out.
Yea right. That's a good one. Keep believing that ;)
Ten Four

Hot Springs Village, AR

#77 Sep 27, 2013
IF they are audited when was the last time the audit was published? when was the last time you saw the budget in the News paper?
Under table

United States

#78 Sep 27, 2013
curious wrote:
Who hires the firm that audits the board finances? Who owns the businesses where the school board buys things?
Fencing, computers, supplies, car companies? Follow the money. They control the purse strings and do the hiring and firing.
We think you just figured out why they did another big tax increase here$:/
Wrong

Nicholasville, KY

#80 Sep 28, 2013
A tax increase and my child still sits in a Kindergarten classroom with 30 other children.
Property owner

United States

#81 Sep 28, 2013
Wheater it is waste, not educated enough to run on a budget, mis management or just flat out gone money...the bottom line is they failed and have to keep doing tax increases. This system is going down each and every year even with more money! Moral at all time low with kids, parents and school employees! Money is going somewhere special! This school system is no longer a step above like it once was. My opinion money hungry people not knowing how to budget got us what it is today just another big tax increase!
bid law

London, KY

#82 Sep 28, 2013
curious wrote:
Who hires the firm that audits the board finances? Who owns the businesses where the school board buys things?
Fencing, computers, supplies, car companies? Follow the money. They control the purse strings and do the hiring and firing.
School boards are required by law to advertise for bids of any item that exceeds $2,000. Every firm, company, corporation, whatever has the chance bid for the items advertised for sale. The law requires that advertisements be placed in the local newspaper with the largest circulation. Hope this helps.
bid law

London, KY

#83 Sep 28, 2013
Ten Four wrote:
IF they are audited when was the last time the audit was published? when was the last time you saw the budget in the News paper?
Kentucky school law does not require boards of education to publish school budgets and audit reports.However...both are public records and you may go to the local superintendents office and ask to see copies of each.

Boards of education are required by law to publish annually a copy of the districts revenue and expenditure by categories. This is a big expense for the board, but the law requires it. Check your local newspaper for the article.
Accountable

London, KY

#84 Sep 28, 2013
Property owner wrote:
Wheater it is waste, not educated enough to run on a budget, mis management or just flat out gone money...the bottom line is they failed and have to keep doing tax increases. This system is going down each and every year even with more money! Moral at all time low with kids, parents and school employees! Money is going somewhere special! This school system is no longer a step above like it once was. My opinion money hungry people not knowing how to budget got us what it is today just another big tax increase!
The moral of the story, about twelve years or maybe more you had some power hungry board members who wanted to run the system and some employees that wanted to advance in their jobs and they set out to change the system. Well they went through 5 or was it 6 superintendents lots of central office changes. Well guess what the system now is struggling financially and academically. Teachers need to be reminded that they thought their jobs were too hard and didn't want to be evaluated. Laurel Co. At one time was a leader in the state, not anymore. Most of the county would not mind tax increases if they could see that the money was being used wisely and the children were advancing in academics. Check the school system's ranking in the state, very sad.
overcrowded

London, KY

#85 Sep 28, 2013
Wrong wrote:
A tax increase and my child still sits in a Kindergarten classroom with 30 other children.
You and your child are fortinuate. When I was in the first grade in another county that adjoins Laures there were 60 of us. No kidding.
officer of finance

London, KY

#86 Sep 28, 2013
Ten Four wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be nice to have some one with a Business or Finance Degree on the School Board. However, I have yet to meet anyone with these Degrees willing to run for the office.
School Business Officials do not run for office. They are hired on their professional certification by the Kentucky Department of Education.
A required course of curriculum is required to meet this certificate. Finance officers are specialist with training to maintain the financial records and reports that are required to be sent to the state department of education. Not an easy job. Not just anyone can do it.
roll tide roll

London, KY

#87 Sep 28, 2013
Property owner wrote:
Wheater it is waste, not educated enough to run on a budget, mis management or just flat out gone money...the bottom line is they failed and have to keep doing tax increases. This system is going down each and every year even with more money! Moral at all time low with kids, parents and school employees! Money is going somewhere special! This school system is no longer a step above like it once was. My opinion money hungry people not knowing how to budget got us what it is today just another big tax increase!
Living down there is Alabama and you worrying about how schools are run in Laurel County Kentucky is interesting. You need to worry about
Dick Saban and whether he is breaking rules to have the team he has.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pygmy goats for sale cheap (Jun '11) 19 min sianakate 28
Alycia Castle affair with Tyler Dotson? 1 hr Jackson 1
Why People GO From One Church To Another (Jun '11) 1 hr Jackson 27
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr spaceship 133,421
what happened in Tattersall Sat night? 3 hr tired 10
Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Jan 28 Bethany Ky 701
Man accused of trading pills for sex acts (Sep '08) Nov '14 nxtstrtovr 31
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster
Yahoo! Sports 9:39 AM
Dalton to replace Rodgers for Pro Bowl
NFL10:12 AM
Andy Dalton added to Pro Bowl roster
NBC Sports12:57 PM
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton headed to his 2nd Pro Bowl
NBC Sports 3:15 AM
Marvin Lewis on Andy Dalton: We don't have time to waste on QB competition