Black Nurse suing Michigan hospital f...

Black Nurse suing Michigan hospital for discrimination

Posted in the Keavy Forum

Margie

Glenview, IL

#1 Feb 19, 2013
Image: Nursing Examiner

A nurse is suing a Michigan hospital, alleging discrimination because managers agreed to a father's request that no black medical staff care for his baby.

The lawsuit alleges that a note was attached to the newborn's care chart stating that "NO AFRICAN AMERICAN NURSE TO TAKE CARE OF BABY."

The situation started when the father approached African-American nurse Tonya Battle while she was caring for his baby in the neonatal ICU of the Hurley Medical Center in Flint.

When she introduced herself, he asked to speak to her supervisor, to whom he explained that he didn't want African-Americans looking after his child. He also showed a tattoo that may have been "a swastika of some kind," the lawsuit alleges. Later Battle's manager phoned her at home and told her that the father's request would be granted.

Eventually the hospital's lawyer told staff they had to stop honoring the man's request, but prior to that, more than a month had passed during which no black staff had been permitted to care for the baby.

The case "puts into tension two different facets of the law," law prof. Lance Gable told the Detroit Free Press. Women patients can chose to see female gynecologists, for instance. But discriminating among medical staff on racial grounds probably breaches the 1964 Civil Rights Act, among other laws. "The bottom line is that the law is not clear about this, although I suspect the nurse will have a pretty strong case," Gable said.

Via CNN and Detroit Free Press.

Should the hospital have agreed to the father's "no black nurses" request?

>
No, it was discrimination

>
Yes, patients have a right to chose

>
I can see both sides here

View results
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/4674-hospit...
fear this

Houston, TX

#2 Feb 19, 2013
not all church people are racists.
our church welcomes people of all color.

but i feel that theblacks are the most racist, because they have their own colored church, and you dont see them at awhite church.
they tend to segregate themselves and blame their oppression on others.
bill cosby tells them like it is.
http://www.wnd.com/2004/05/24697/
I used to be crazy

Gray, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2013
fear this wrote:
not all church people are racists.
our church welcomes people of all color.
but i feel that the blacks are the most racist, because they have their own colored church, and you don't see them at a white church.
they tend to segregate themselves and blame their oppression on others.
bill cosby tells them like it is.
http://www.wnd.com/2004/05/24697/
I agree completely with your statement, this is how the blacks act and they blame the whites for every little thing that goes wrong in their lives, they have a live long crutch, lets blame the white girl if I don't get my way, when are we going to start telling them to grow up and get a life.
I used to be crazy

Gray, KY

#4 Feb 21, 2013
Margie wrote:
Image: Nursing Examiner
A nurse is suing a Michigan hospital, alleging discrimination because managers agreed to a father's request that no black medical staff care for his baby.
The lawsuit alleges that a note was attached to the newborn's care chart stating that "NO AFRICAN AMERICAN NURSE TO TAKE CARE OF BABY."
The situation started when the father approached African-American nurse Tonya Battle while she was caring for his baby in the neonatal ICU of the Hurley Medical Center in Flint.
When she introduced herself, he asked to speak to her supervisor, to whom he explained that he didn't want African-Americans looking after his child. He also showed a tattoo that may have been "a swastika of some kind," the lawsuit alleges. Later Battle's manager phoned her at home and told her that the father's request would be granted.
Eventually the hospital's lawyer told staff they had to stop honoring the man's request, but prior to that, more than a month had passed during which no black staff had been permitted to care for the baby.
The case "puts into tension two different facets of the law," law prof. Lance Gable told the Detroit Free Press. Women patients can chose to see female gynecologists, for instance. But discriminating among medical staff on racial grounds probably breaches the 1964 Civil Rights Act, among other laws. "The bottom line is that the law is not clear about this, although I suspect the nurse will have a pretty strong case," Gable said.
Via CNN and Detroit Free Press.
Should the hospital have agreed to the father's "no black nurses" request?
>
No, it was discrimination
>
Yes, patients have a right to chose

I can see both sides here
View results
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/4674-hospit...
Give me a break, there was a reason this person didn't want a black person around their child, maybe his wife was raped by a black man at one time or something else traumatic, I except the fact i am white and this does not give me a ticket to go to the front of the line and this should be the same for blacks, if he had said he didn't want a female Dr, should the Dr sue the hospital? Get over yourselves, we are!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The pope's lost his mind 10 min No no no 2
U will suckup 2keep ur Job 15 min so what 18
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 39 min JustJoe 176,747
another shooting 1 hr BobCat 22
constable 1 hr Sara 12
Commonwealth Attorney 2 hr CountyVoter 12
September berry 2 hr The Real Yeti 4

Keavy Jobs

Personal Finance

Keavy Mortgages