How Do You Get Rid Of Gnats?

Posted in the Keavy Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steph

London, KY

#1 Jul 31, 2009
Is anyone else having a problem with gnats in their house? I would love to know how to get rid of them. I have been keeping my kitchen clean but they won't go away.
this really works

Sheridan, AR

#2 Jul 31, 2009
take a mason jar with lid...poke holes in the lid with a nail and put in some white vinegar...about half way full and just put the jar where ever they are...it actually works
60 Gunner

United States

#3 Jul 31, 2009
Steph wrote:
Is anyone else having a problem with gnats in their house? I would love to know how to get rid of them. I have been keeping my kitchen clean but they won't go away.
I got the same problem.SOMEBODY......HELP!!!! !!
joe ray

Englewood, CO

#4 Jul 31, 2009
destroy their food source and they will dry up almost immediately
Mama

Greenbrier, AR

#5 Jul 31, 2009
Take away their food and they will be gone shortly after.
60 Gunner

United States

#6 Jul 31, 2009
this really works wrote:
take a mason jar with lid...poke holes in the lid with a nail and put in some white vinegar...about half way full and just put the jar where ever they are...it actually works
Thank ye much!Gonna try it.Have a great weekend!
Sunshine

Sheridan, AR

#7 Jul 31, 2009
They are bad i dont know where they come from it is like they germinate in things , i laid a loaf on bread on my table and never knew there was a knat no where near my house and somehow they got into the inside of the loaf of bread and it had never been opened ,It is terrible where in the world are they coming from and why i had never seen a knat like this before ever i think this is some new kind of knat that we have never had before .
Gnat Killer

Sheridan, AR

#8 Jul 31, 2009
I pour about a cup full of bleach down each drain in the sink and put the stoppers in at night. I spray down the counter tops with an antibacterial spray and clean them. Make sure you also don't leave wet dish cloths laying around cause they love dampness. Take out all trash at night. These steps finally eliminated my problems.
60 Gunner

United States

#9 Jul 31, 2009
Gnat Killer wrote:
I pour about a cup full of bleach down each drain in the sink and put the stoppers in at night. I spray down the counter tops with an antibacterial spray and clean them. Make sure you also don't leave wet dish cloths laying around cause they love dampness. Take out all trash at night. These steps finally eliminated my problems.
I'll try anything!Thanks.
Old Man

Albany, KY

#10 Jul 31, 2009
This time of year is bad for gnats, with watermelon, tomato, corn and cucumber hulls all draw gnats. Watch your garbage can liner it may leak and have the inside of your garbage can nasty so wipe it out good too. All the steps above should get rid of them, also watch the kids with spilt pop, kool aid or popcycles, these are all problem food sources for gnats.
buggy

Cynthiana, KY

#11 Jul 31, 2009
If it was in bread, you better look close to make sure it's not a weevil. They're harder to get rid of than gnats.
duh

London, KY

#12 Jul 31, 2009
clean ur house LOL

“YHWH prevails Rev 20:10”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Jul 31, 2009
Gnat Killer wrote:
pouring bleach down your drain will hurt your septic system.

If you want to clean your drains I'd recommend pouring in some baking soda followed with vinegar and turn the faucet on.
Starving Bull Dog

AOL

#14 Jul 31, 2009
Why not pour about a pint or so of white vinegar down the drains give it a few hours for all the gnats to find it and commit suicide then pour the baking soda in make sure you get the water running quickly tho. Eliminate two problems at once
knats be gone

Somerset, KY

#15 Jul 31, 2009
Steph wrote:
pet food, bananas, apples, bread, etc. is a big problem. the odor these items put out is what draws knats. you can place a banana peel, or some bread, or even some moist pet food in your garbage can. this will allow the knats to gather in one place...then spray some Raid heavy on them. this pretty much kills all of them at one time or you may have to do it again. after just make sure you don't leave anything out to create them again, especially dish water.
knats be gone

Somerset, KY

#16 Jul 31, 2009
Steph wrote:
oops! knats...i meant (g)nats!
this

Somerset, KY

#17 Jul 31, 2009
We finally put out some apple cider vinegar in cups with tape strips across the top leaving little cracks for them to crawl down inside. It finally worked, although it took a few days. The cup is full of them now.
Roxy

London, KY

#18 Jul 31, 2009
Put some sweet pickle juice in a small tea cup or dish about half full. Leave it out for several days. It will draw them to it and they drown. Got it going right now in my kitchen and I have caught several. They seem to be going away.
mary

Middlesboro, KY

#19 Jul 31, 2009
i use turpentine myself
hey

Middlesboro, KY

#20 Aug 1, 2009
mary wrote:
i use turpentine myself
i have searched for terpentine. where did you buy yours...

also want to tell the story of how yeast atracted gnats.
dad used to make homebrew, and those crazy gnats swarmed like crazy.
dad argued it was the yeast. mama argued it was the sugar working off the home brew.
so i never did actually figure out who was correct.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Missing dog 39 min kayla 2
Be cautions of buying a dog at "The Dog House" ... (Mar '09) 42 min peaches 25
What Do Your Eyes Say About You (Jul '09) 1 hr girl that loves b... 176
Debate: Marijuana - London, KY (Aug '10) 1 hr Logan martin 404
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr HistoricallySpeaking 133,444
Londons most beautiful naked woman (Dec '08) 1 hr Tom 7
no disability check in mail today (Oct '12) 2 hr Michael Richardson 21
Keavy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keavy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM