Officials line up behind Sterlite's b...

Officials line up behind Sterlite's bid for Asarco

There are 2 comments on the Arizona Daily Star story from Jul 26, 2008, titled Officials line up behind Sterlite's bid for Asarco. In it, Arizona Daily Star reports that:

Some state legislators and local officials are urging a federal bankruptcy court to reject efforts by Grupo Mexico to reacquire Tucson-based Asarco.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Arizona Daily Star.

Carlos eastside

AOL

#1 Sep 3, 2008
Asarco, Sterlite, or Grupo Mexico are all rotten apples. You are trading one for the other. What they must do is relocate the residents of Hayden away from this polluting, poisoning smelter. Whom ever gets the bid, this must be a requirement. We can not simply sit and watch this community rot away. Adults die at alarming rates and the children are beginning to show the same ill effects as these adults showed when young. If our leaders are sincere about their citizens they must act in their interest. Why? I ask, is this community's population all hispanic. Could this have something to do with the fact that Asarco convenitely looks the other way. They must first re-locate the residents not less than 20 miles and have their employees commute to and from the smelter. The children are the biggest loosers.
AsarcoOps

United States

#2 Sep 14, 2008
The majority of my co-workers live in or around the Hayden/Winkelman area and most of the people, when asked, said they do not want to leave due to "historic" reasons. Many live in the rickety shacks they were born in. Delapitated, hazardous houses with garbage piling up.

Asarco has offered to dig up and replace 2' of top soil in every yard, paint every house, and make repairs as needed to these homes. The problem is these residents want more than a helping hand, they want the entire wallet. Therefore the problem lies within it's stubborn ass residents.

Yes, the population of this town is predominantly Hispanic. I highly doubt this factor as the reason for prolonging the clean up. I am hispanic myself so I have to call the Bullshit Card on you for pulling the Race Card on this. It's the people who don't want to get out!

If it were up to me, I'd burn down that shit hole and mine what's underneath it. Then Asarco could give MORE donations to the townspeople seeing as that's all they're after... MORE.

Get real people! They're not going to beg you to give up your great Nana's shack in San Pedro!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kearny Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
post feature points referral codes here (May '15) Feb 13 Beekylah354 28
News In Arizona, could Jefferson Davis Highway becom... Sep '17 Solarman 1
Mattie Earp Gravesite (Dec '09) Jan '17 Melissa K 29
News Kenneth Dickey Arrested for Manslaughter Follow... (Jul '11) May '16 Mike 20
Ray/Sonora/Barcelona....Kearney (Aug '08) Jul '14 Michael Beaulieu 63
the largest free sex singles site!! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Michal Feuerstein 1
News Christopher Estrada headed to Camp Pendelton (Jun '13) Jun '13 simpleglam 1

Kearny Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kearny Mortgages