Heavenly honor bestowed on Nawahi - News

When the Messenger spacecraft begins orbiting Mercury in March 2011, it will look down on "Nawahi Crater." A little smaller than Kauai, the crater is named for Kaho'oluhi Nawahi, also known as Joseph Kaho'oluhi ... Full Story
Kuleana

Waipahu, HI

#1 Nov 23, 2008
"The legacy of Joseph Kaho'oluhi Nawahiokalaniopuu, native Hawaiian painter, teacher, legislator, lawyer, journalist and cabinet member to Queen Liliuokalani, continues to grow 112 years after his death."

FAMOUS QUOTE of NAWAHI, a staunch activist known for his resistance against the Annexation of Hawai'i, and the author of the Ku'e Petitions, Monster Petitions signed by over 40, 000 'citizens' of the Nation of Hawai'i said:

"The cause of Hawai'i and Independence is larger and dearer that the life of any man connected with it. Love of country is deeper seated in the breast of every Hawaiian, whatever his station."

KU'E, KU'E, KU'E!!
wahine96740

United States

#2 Nov 23, 2008
Aloha mai kakou,
Maika'i loa keia nuhou. This is a wonderful honor and tribute to this very important Kanaka Maoli who shaped history. Please access the URL below to learn more about the Ku'e Petitions and to link to the actual documents.

http://128.171.57.100/digicoll /annexation/pet-intro.html

Mahalo to the crew of the Messenger Spacecraft for acknowledging this very important person.

E malama pono
Translator

Kailua Kona, HI

#3 Nov 23, 2008
Awesome. Just the coolest.
Haupia Girl

AOL

#4 Nov 23, 2008
Right on!!!!!!!!
wahine96740

Rio Linda, CA

#5 Nov 23, 2008
Aloha hou,
E kala mai ia'u, but for some reason cutting and pasting the URL above doesn't seem to be working, so try to cut/paste this one: http://libweb.hawaii.edu/digicoll/annexation/...

p.s. If all else fails, please google "Nawahi" and "Petitions" (no need to include quotes when actually typing in to google), and it should bring up the link to the University of Hawai'i at Manoa Hamilton Library Special Collections website with the digitized Ku'e Petitions.

A hui hou....
kaipo mai aotearoa

Auckland, New Zealand

#6 Nov 24, 2008
Awesome article... Does anyone know how to access views of the five paintings of Nawahi?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keaau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Last post wins Feb 20 mossy seaman 1
Review: Alahou Clean & Sober Housing Feb 17 Bob 1
crime Feb 13 worried 1
Hilo Music Thread (May '12) Jan '15 Musikologist 20
Review: A A A MR. K'S Taxi Jan '15 Aaron 1
Gas prices drop, but could it be more? Jan '15 Guru 2
Review: Sasaki Monuments LLC Dec '14 UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER 1
Keaau Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Keaau People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:35 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:35PM
Why CB Is San Francisco's Top Non-WR Draft Need
Bleacher Report 9:18 PM
San Francisco 49ers: Should They Sign Reggie Bush?
Bleacher Report11:48 PM
Oakland Raiders Must Cut MJD, Bring Back Darren McFadden
Bleacher Report 9:56 AM
Raiders Must Create Recreate DL by Adding Suh, Hardy
Bleacher Report 4:03 PM
Why Combine Standout Jalen Collins Is an Ideal Fit for 49ers' Secondary