Hip-hop dance becomes a lesson for da...

Hip-hop dance becomes a lesson for daughters - Hawaii Editorials

There are 14 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 8, 2009, titled Hip-hop dance becomes a lesson for daughters - Hawaii Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

On May 18, my 12-year-old daughter came home from school excited about a dance she was practicing for the sixth-grade class graduation hoolaulea at Keonepoko Elementary School, in Pahoa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

Since: Feb 08

Santa Maria, CA

#1 Jun 8, 2009
Amen! Great write up! Maybe people will wake up and actually talk to their children as you did! Kudos to you.
cubist

Kihei, HI

#2 Jun 8, 2009
I used to do "F*** tha police" but now I do "Are We There Yet?". See how I have struggled then triumphed.
Local Mama

Wailuku, HI

#3 Jun 8, 2009
Hats off to you dad! With parents like you, your daughters will be just fine.
alice

Kahului, HI

#4 Jun 8, 2009
I do not care for hip hop noise. I much prefer classical ballet
DTC

Honolulu, HI

#5 Jun 8, 2009
While I concur with your decision, I disagree somewhat with your characterization that "large corporations produce songs and videos that create images of blacks and Latinos and present it as hip-hop so that ignorant people will see those images as cool and try to emulate them." A lot of popular hip-hop & rap is actually produced by blacks and Latinos. Jamie Foxx, Black Eyed Peas, Flo Rida and Kayne West are examples of producers of songs which I find quite offensive in their portrayal of women. Also, I think it rather naïve for you to assume your statements would not have led to the cancellation of the dance.
Well Done

Honolulu, HI

#6 Jun 8, 2009
Don't back down. The right choice is usually the more difficult choice. But you and your family already know that. Your girls will be strong women.
Als Bar and Grill

AOL

#7 Jun 8, 2009
Get a college degree!!!!!!!!
Rock Bottom

Waterbury, CT

#8 Jun 8, 2009
Imagine, while some are commemorating D-Day, the "teachers" are promoting hip-hop. And Fascism is a "mad beat" away, yo...
CMK

Honolulu, HI

#9 Jun 8, 2009
Great comment Nick. I struggle with this, too. One of the accessories for teens is the Ipod, Zune, whatever (I have one, too). There is a lot of great music being made called hip hop and I trace this from NYC's Last Poets from the 60's to Arrested Development to now. I've come to the uneasy understanding that some hip hop is great art, some is popular entertainment, some is vacuous bubble gum nonsense, some is dangerously explicit (for teens), some is just plain dangerous (inciting people to do stupid things in the wrong situation). As straight adult entertainment, I think some hiphop is enormously entertaining but as a parent I need to monitor my kids listening and viewing habits (garbage in, garbage out-There is no TV, at all, at our house). I salute you Mr. Osborne for taking an active role in your children's lives as I try to do in my children's lives.
makaha wahine

Honolulu, HI

#10 Jun 8, 2009
RIGHT ON DAD! Stick to your guns and later on, the girls will be telling their children how Papa taught them about this and that. Akamai oe! Aloha.
MOWS

Honolulu, HI

#11 Jun 8, 2009
I looked at the lyrics and can't understand what they mean. Maybe you are reading too much into what I see as just a good dance song.
Kaneohe Parent

Kaneohe, HI

#12 Jun 9, 2009
MOWS wrote:
I looked at the lyrics and can't understand what they mean. Maybe you are reading too much into what I see as just a good dance song.
"Tootsie Roll" is a vulgar reference to female genatalia. When in doubt, check out the urbandictionary.com for information on contemporary slang.

Completely inappropriate for children. Bravo, Nick!
astroblack

United States

#13 Jun 30, 2009
"...hip-hop is a living thing, a movement of people, a culture of endurance, struggle and triumph. Hip-hop is the voice of the oppressed against the oppressors, the voice of those crushed into poverty and violence, the voice of those who's cultures and heritage have been stolen away, perverted and destroyed."

true. real hip-hop.
+1
VERNON BALMER JR

Honolulu, HI

#14 Jul 30, 2009
BULL FEATHERS.
It used to be, but once in the hands of the oppressor as a money making tool, it was preverted and rehashed as "Gangsta," and the lude and lascivious mindless tripe it is in some instances nowadays.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keaau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
council DOUBLES property tax 18 hr maddude 1
News 17 students arrested after series of fights at ... (Nov '09) Apr '17 keani 40
News Workers on Big Island find snake in shipping co... (Apr '14) Apr '14 District 1 2
George Zimmerman Scandal (Sep '13) Sep '13 Lonny Mandaloniz 1
Taylor wind Set (Jul '13) Jul '13 Lynn 2
News Pahoa man released on bail (Jan '09) May '13 Dennis 4
News Speed limit to drop on Highway 130 (Apr '13) Apr '13 DocD 1

Keaau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keaau Mortgages