News | /2008/05/17/

News | /2008/05/17/

There are 34 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 17, 2008, titled News | /2008/05/17/. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

CNN.COM The headline "Kilauea's toxic gas kills crops, sickens islanders," appeared on a CNN story last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
John W Bienko

Ottawa, Canada

#1 May 17, 2008
Volcanic toxic gas emissions are dangerous to health. The higher the Air Quality Index the greater the risk to health. However full and complete studies on the long term risk of the toxic gases has NOT been made.
The wisest course of action is NOT BE EXPOSED to any level of volcanic toxic gases.
John W Bienko

Ottawa, Canada

#2 May 17, 2008
I should have added that volcanic toxic gases comprise largely of SULPHURIC ACID. THat is a very dangerous chemical compound.
Mike Hu

Portland, OR

#3 May 17, 2008
Decreased tourism should be the least of their concerns.

At some point, people have to realize that the best indicator of long-term health effects are short-term health effects, and if they have trouble breathing, shortly, they will stop breathing altogether, or develop bad breathing habits -- by not wanting to breathe deeply.

We don't need for our congressional delegation to arrange those earmarks to pronounce definitive negative effects -- but have to consider immediate removal from a toxic environment and its obvious effects. That's less of a concern for a tourist only exposed for a day or two.

While the public relations department may be calling it "Paradise," the obvious truth of the matter is that it smells like Hell. It reminds me of that bit in the movie "Jaws," in which the mayor doesn't want to release the information that there's a shock in the water eating people because it would kill the tourist season.

The tourists, in this case, could probably continue o take their vacations there -- but those people living day after day under those conditions, should consider moving moving somewhere they can enjoy breathing again.

Since: Mar 08

Lihue, HI

#4 May 17, 2008
Mike Hu wrote:
While the public relations department may be calling it "Paradise," the obvious truth of the matter is that it smells like Hell. It reminds me of that bit in the movie "Jaws," in which the mayor doesn't want to release the information that there's a shock in the water eating people because it would kill the tourist season.
Big difference in this case is that Hawaii state/county/tourism/governmen t officials have been forthright with information about the situation at Kilauea and across the state. The way I see it, nobody's hiding anything and the general public has to use its common sense in these kinds of situations. The park has been closed down when levels have become dangerous and they've been doing a good job getting accurate information out to the public, both residents and visitors. Media could be doing a better job communicating the facts of the situation for us, but sadly most take the sensational route in telling the story.
iole

San Diego, CA

#5 May 17, 2008
*Cough, gasp* Been there, done, that.
Thankfully Tradewinds are back!
4Rreal

Aiea, HI

#6 May 17, 2008
If you can't fix it, just spin it.

Instead of engineers/scientists/ the first people they think is media experts- that's about as as scary as the vog.
macuu222

Kamuela, HI

#7 May 17, 2008
I live on the Big Island in Keaau (south of Hilo)and all I can say is that the media and others are just sensationalizing this vog thing.It's not as bad as the media is telling everyone.

I'm an asmattic and although occasionally I may get a slight wiff of vog in the early morning it clears up fast. We still have the cleanest and freshest air on the planet out here in the middle of the pacific and would never move back to a mainland city.
Seth in California

Pittsburg, CA

#8 May 17, 2008
The numbers for California were from the second day of a very stagnant air heat wave and are WAY higher than normal, in fact it was the second day in a row of "spare the air day" (health alert) in the San Francisco Bay Area. The air quality here is typically similar to Honolulu.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#9 May 17, 2008
I agree..Hawaii is in trouble with this bad air. It is worse than LA. The very bad Lingle economy promises to get worse.
Ron Clark

Makawao, HI

#10 May 17, 2008
This VOG is bad stuff.

I predict that someday, maybe years from now, we will all die.
Sunny of Kaneohe Oahu

Honolulu, HI

#11 May 17, 2008
Coming home from work @ 9pm last night, the vog was so thick & hanging low it looked like New Year's Eve! Today, it still makes the sky appear overcast (I want a vanity plate that says "NOMOVOG")! LOL
I'm never one to get headaches, but this past week I've had several & my lungs are congested.
It's sad how its already killing flowers, fruits, veggies and putting these farmers in financial crisis.
If vog becomes a constant, it WILL impact the visitor trade and you'll see the exodus of locals to the mainland greatly increase. Count me in, as there still are plenty places that DO have nice clean air, reasonable rents & lower cost of living.
I agree the long term health issues will be more severe than we're being led to believe. However, the reality is that most families have to keep windows open to cool homes & not many will wear masks when outside.
So, all we can do hope/pray for the trades to return & blow this junk out to sea once more.*sigh* Talk about frustrating!
alice

Honolulu, HI

#12 May 17, 2008
I agree sunny..I am from North Dakota and can tell you that you are describing my state. Hawaii is alrgely overblown and overhyped. With poor business and governmental leadership, an inept Governor nad Mayor, and mass corryuption it really is a dump in many ways. I forgive it as I do like the UH but at least i get to go home.
Whistleblower

Honolulu, HI

#13 May 17, 2008
Has anyone personally viewed this second vent eruption? Will
I did and it's horrendously
devastating! The second vent
is pouring out (10) times the
amount more SO2 than the first
one in which being around for
over (20) years. Gentlemen, it
doesn't look like it's to slow
down soon. This is a detrimental
LONG HALL! the worst part is yet to come when it rains in
which the toxic gases of SO2
will emulsify into acid rain
and this acidic chemicals will
fall on the plant's, drinking
water(catchment system) lakes,
and finally human life and that's it! All of our main
resources will be contaminated.
Just viewed on TV, local farm
crops are dying. Plants are
dying so wonder who's next!
alice

Honolulu, HI

#14 May 17, 2008
whistelblower is so right. The tourist moguls are terrified na dhiding their terror from the public. Not to worry...Lingle is in israel to whom she is loyal and will do nothing to help.
Kingo Mel Fujii

Evanston, IL

#15 May 17, 2008
My great concern about Hawaii's vog is whether there is a possibility of sulfur dioxide changing to hydrogen sulfide which could make the island(s) uninhabitable. People in Japan were using it to commit suicide.
Most of my relatives are in Hawaii. What about sulphuric acid? Auwe! Auwe!
96795east

Hilo, HI

#16 May 17, 2008
Looks like another day offshore Long Beach, CA. or oceanside, San Francisco.
96795east

Hilo, HI

#17 May 17, 2008
alice wrote:
whistelblower is so right. The tourist moguls are terrified na dhiding their terror from the public. Not to worry...Lingle is in israel to whom she is loyal and will do nothing to help.
She will tout the thousands and thousands of miles of real estate open for development. She will also hint that Iraq has open arms for tourists and development, having the Original starbucks coffee hangouts, the best goat cheese from original goats,etc.. There should be no racial discrimination because they would claim to the the Original race.
alice

Honolulu, HI

#18 May 17, 2008
Lingle could care less. She is in israel reporting to her masters. Meanwhile, hawaii shrinks into disaster economically and environmentally.
Whistleblower

Honolulu, HI

#19 May 17, 2008
Well, were on the CNN news so it's just a matter of time before the
shell shock devastate the community
and the rest of the world. My son
work's for the Moana Surfrider Hotel,
and what they say about the VOG not
effecting the tourist industry is
whole bunch of KROCK! They are so
slow at the hotel is pathetic! it's
like the other guy mentioning the
Jaws movie where the mayor covertly
concealed valuable information of the
dangerous conditions involved in the
water. Do you Kamaaina's remember
when the Kona winds would last for
not just a week, but weeks to come?
I'm pretty sure there's detrimental
illnesses and probable death in the
ER in regards to this horrific situation but the local news media
are not crossing the line and wonder
why? Could it be GREED! It surely
can't be health? HMSA just affirmed
an $10 million dollar loss. Hmmm!
Doe's HMSA know something that the
public don't or are they prepping
themselves for the big holocust? And
KHON2 TV, shame on you for not following-up to this subject matter.
You're numba #1 in the islands, so
LET'S GO!
96795east

Hilo, HI

#20 May 17, 2008
How about the thought of Military Housing Development in the area? Wouldn't that justify the economic aid U.S. is giving to Israel? They also claim the best Tourist areas!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Keaau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
hilo hawaii stay away from there (Jun '13) Jan 8 Irate 2
Last post wins (Feb '15) Jan 6 tiger_-_dad 2
Is hawaiian paradise park safe to live? (Jan '07) Dec 19 anon 78
News Hawaii real estate suit filed over noisy frog -... (Sep '07) Dec '16 HairyGuy 161
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... (Apr '15) Nov '16 Tua Tua isa foa 12
Hilo Music Thread (May '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 23
mary jane cobain send the head of cia to lsoa n... Oct '16 glen hara 2

Keaau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Keaau Mortgages