Guest column: Smoking ban for hotels hurts Wisconsin's border cities

Aug 29, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Green Bay Press-Gazette

The Green Bay Press-Gazette's editorial "Legislature needlessly relights debate" left out some of the facts about the bill to partially exempt hotels from the statewide smoking ban.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Mar 17, 2010
ridintheloop

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Judged:

Smoking and second hand smoke hurts Wisconsin's citizens and visitors to Wisconsin. Most folks will seek out these motels/hotels that ban all smoking on the premises and all rooms. We do.
winewbie

Corvallis, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2009

Judged:

I recently visited Marinette planning a relocation. Coming from a smoke-free state (Oregon), it was kind of a shock to walk into bars, restaurants and hotels where smoking is allowed. From our experience in Oregon, business in bars and restaurants actually went UP, not down when the smoking ban was implemented. People who had avoided going out because of smoking actually started to frequent these establishments. "Non-smoking" started to be used as a plus, not a minus. Many hotels have gone 100% non-smoking, and proudly advertise that fact.
Tim

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

Restaurants use this issue as a "smoke screen" but it has been proven time after time that a smoking ban in public places does not decrease business. Wisconsin is noted for its clean air and outdoor living, so it is a shock to walk into a bar or restaurant and be overwhelmed with the smoke. Smoking kills, second hand smoke kills and it is time to move those who choose to engage in this risky behavior out doors.
anigma

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2010

Judged:

I would rather smell smoke when I am eating than a fart!!! Farting should be made an offense too.
rider

Marquette, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2010

Judged:

WI can have Bart--Daily Kos: State of the NationFor most of the decade Bart Stupak has enjoyed subsidized rent living at the swank Washington DC "C Street House," registered as a church, that became notorious over the last ...

www.dailykos.com/story/2009/11/7/801631/-Will... -· Cached pageDaily Kos: Family Member Stupak Says He Can Block ...Representative Bart Stupak (D-Mich) has repeatedly protested that he isn't trying to kill health care reform. But, as Stupak told the arch-conservative CNSNews service on Thursday ...

www.dailykos.com/story/2009/11/6/801298/-Fami... ...· Cached pageThe Family « Michigan MessengerDespite weeks of media attention paid to the now-infamous “C Street” house owned by The Family, a secretive Christian group, U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak — who lives at the house ...

michiganmessenger.com/tag/the-family · Cached pageThe Democrats' new "Family" values - Democratic Party ...Thanks to C Streeter Bart Stupak and his allies, the GOP isn't the only party kowtowing to the Christian right

www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/11/10/stupak_... · Cached pageStupak denies knowledge of connections to mysterious ...Stupak denies knowledge of connections to mysterious ‘C Street’ house he lives in 'I don’t know what you’re talking about,[The] Family and all this other stuff.'

michiganmessenger.com/23484/stupak-denies-kno... ...· Cached page

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kaukauna Discussions

Search the Kaukauna Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 23 hr Jaimie 6,989
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 21 selfridge 451
What To Do About Bad Lawyers (Sep '06) Jul 20 Anthony 89
Police say Michael Potts shot Artheddius Pierre... (Nov '08) Jun '14 Thi Nguyen 8
WI Who do you support for Attorney General in Wisc... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Judge 88
Review: Alpine Concrete Polishing (Feb '10) May '14 Jimmy 3
Review: Apple Valley Camping May '14 mlitt73 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Kaukauna Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kaukauna People Search