Deputy shoots, kills man

Deputy shoots, kills man

There are 29 comments on the Cedar Creek Pilot story from Jul 12, 2007, titled Deputy shoots, kills man. In it, Cedar Creek Pilot reports that:

A possible "suicide by cop" case is being investigated by Texas Ranger Richard Sheen after a 911 call from a nine-year-old daughter resulted in the shooting death of her father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cedar Creek Pilot.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hopes for Justice

Porter, TX

#1 Jul 13, 2007
I strongly feel, if you so choose to report on an event, you should have accurate information. I also feel in order for you to have the most accurate information, you need ALL the details and more than likely it's best to either come from both sides OR persons who don't have their best interest on the line.
Why aren't there any facts about the VICTIM? Why aren't others asking questions and getting answers that don't conviently go in the Rangers ruling's favor? Why doesn't anyone care about justice? Why doesn't this discuss the whole 911 tape, the correct medical history, or the EMS/Hospital? You're missing a lot of imformation and no one cares!?!
FOOTBALL GHS

AOL

#3 Jul 16, 2007
What are you saying Hopes for Justice? Are you saying that the Deputy didn't have the right to defend himself? WOW! Was he supposed to say "Sir before you shoot me do you have any medical problems I should be aware of? Also is that a real gun you have pointed at me about to take my life and take me away from my wife and kids?" If this is what you are saying then you have got a problem. If it is not then I sincerly appologize for my misinterpretation.(PS When you have someone about to shoot you WHO CARES ABOUT THE SO CALLED "VICTIM". I am sorry that this happened but if you have never been put in this situation then it is impossible to know how it feels. The true victim is the deputy that has to live with the fact that he HAD TO take another humans life.)PLEASE GOD BLESS THIS DEPUTY.
You think you know

Springdale, AR

#4 Jul 16, 2007
Football, you hit the nail on the head, the deputy was in a situation we have not been in. Mostly because anyone with common sense would not have gotten themselves there. The officer was trained on how to handle these situations and he greatly failed to handle it as he has been trained. Nobody was endangered once he was on scene. All he needed to do was get the family out of the house, set up and secure the perimeter, and allow a trained professional speak to the suspect. You are an extremely heartless man if you have the guts to say who cares about the victim and for that I say may God have mercy on you for feeling that way. The deputy has not only a right to defend himself but a sworn duty to protect the citizens of his jurisdiction and I do not believe him acting as a superman and entering the environment he was aware of solved a thing. He had to take another humans live as a result of his lack of self control, and experience. Hopes for justice you are right!!! The truth will and must be told and heard then and only then will justice will be served.
FOOTBALL GHS

AOL

#5 Jul 17, 2007
Yes I do know. Obviously you have never been in that situation. Guess what? I have. He was not being a superman but doing his job to protect the public and himself (LEARN THE LAW PLEASE)and further more if someone points a gun at me I will do the same thing he did. And as far as your comment "You are an extremely heartless man if you have the guts to say who cares about the victim and for that I say may God have mercy on you for feeling that way." and since you brought God into it why don't you study the Bible where God states that it is our duty to protect each other and ourselves. Hey I do feel bad for the the "VICTIM" and his family but the DEPUTY did his job. He didn't just show up for a social visit. They (the "VICTIM'S" family) called him out there for help. Why don't you go to the police acadmey and see what it is like. I don't expect you to understand but you don't know him and you don't know me and you obviously have never stared down the barrell of a gun. So please don't judge his actions if you have never been there. GOD BLESS THE DEPUTY!
Proud to be a Texan

United States

#6 Jul 17, 2007
FOOTBALL GHS wrote:
Yes I do know. Obviously you have never been in that situation. Guess what? I have. He was not being a superman but doing his job to protect the public and himself (LEARN THE LAW PLEASE)and further more if someone points a gun at me I will do the same thing he did. And as far as your comment "You are an extremely heartless man if you have the guts to say who cares about the victim and for that I say may God have mercy on you for feeling that way." and since you brought God into it why don't you study the Bible where God states that it is our duty to protect each other and ourselves. Hey I do feel bad for the the "VICTIM" and his family but the DEPUTY did his job. He didn't just show up for a social visit. They (the "VICTIM'S" family) called him out there for help. Why don't you go to the police acadmey and see what it is like. I don't expect you to understand but you don't know him and you don't know me and you obviously have never stared down the barrell of a gun. So please don't judge his actions if you have never been there. GOD BLESS THE DEPUTY!
I agree completely, GOD BLESS THE DEPUTY!
You think you know

Springdale, AR

#7 Jul 17, 2007
How is entering the house protecting the public???? Where in the police academy do they teach you to confront a man by yourself in his own home when the only person endangered is the suspect himself?(Especially knowing the history of the suspect including his medical history) WHY WHY WHY would you confront somebody instead of maintaining patience and giving them space. That is what they train you to do, take your time and evaluate the situation. And by you saying over and over again that you have been in this deputy's situation I surely hope you have used your weapon in the line of duty or seen time at war because that is the only way you have been in his shoes. Police officers know what they signed up for when they are sworn in and facing these situations is part of the job. If you cannot maintain your composure and keep your head straight when responding to these types of calls you have no business with a weapon supposedly protecting the good faith of our public. Please enlighten me as to what law you are asking me to read. Please let me know which law has been and or not been properly followed. By the way are you talking about law, or procedures taught in the academy?? And one last thing.....DO NOT question my knowledge of the bible for you are not to judge and I am aware God asks us to protect on another but it is also listed (somewhere in there I think, you would probably know more so than I) Thou Shall Not Kill!!!
FOOTBALL GHS

AOL

#8 Jul 17, 2007
TO:You Think you know. Maintaing composure, what are talking about? He shot a guy pointing a gun at him. Besides leaving a suicidal person alone is NEVER an option!!! Oh and Questioning you about God; all I have to say is that you questioned my Christianity and my (Soul) first. Oh and the thou shalt not kill part... What about David??? HUM? Seems like God told him to destroy the giant (Goliath.)I am done with responding to you. It is obvious that you are blind to the real world. Thanks for your delusional commentaries. Next time your family needs protection or somebody violates your property call a crack head you may find him more sensensitive to your liberal needs.(PS BIBLE should be capitalized.) GOD BLESS THE DEPUTY!
My experience

United States

#9 Jul 18, 2007
A long time friend of many years once remarked to me that 80% of the law enforcement officers who wear badges are not worthy to wear their badges. Also keep in mind that when one applies for training to become a law enforcement officer, in the majority of cases, making a high score on the tests in intelligence automatically disqualifies them for entry into training. The exception to this rule are such organizations as the FBI.
I agree, this officer was out of line in conforting this individual directly, his first responsibility was to get the family out and secure the area till someone came on the scene that was familiar with hostage type situations. If this was done according to procedure this ill individual would still be alive.
You think you know

Springdale, AR

#10 Jul 18, 2007
Football....I am glad to hear you are done speaking on this topic although you have left many of my questions unanswered.(which I will not loose any sleep over) And to: My experience, thank you so much for your input. I am at peace knowing there are people out there in the "real world" that have both common sense and morals at the same time. And just for all to know next time I am in trouble or somebody violates my property I will either resonsibly handle it myself or call in a professional law enforcement officer to assist me. And for the record I 100% believe that even a crack head would have gotten the family out of the home and allowed somebody that is properly trained to handle the situation.
widow

Dallas, TX

#11 Jul 28, 2007
i was their and that stupid poor deputy did know of his condition and still shot him anyway in front of 4 kids under 12 and me his wife !!!!
FOOTBALL GHS wrote:
What are you saying Hopes for Justice? Are you saying that the Deputy didn't have the right to defend himself? WOW! Was he supposed to say "Sir before you shoot me do you have any medical problems I should be aware of? Also is that a real gun you have pointed at me about to take my life and take me away from my wife and kids?" If this is what you are saying then you have got a problem. If it is not then I sincerly appologize for my misinterpretation.(PS When you have someone about to shoot you WHO CARES ABOUT THE SO CALLED "VICTIM". I am sorry that this happened but if you have never been put in this situation then it is impossible to know how it feels. The true victim is the deputy that has to live with the fact that he HAD TO take another humans life.)PLEASE GOD BLESS THIS DEPUTY.
widow

Dallas, TX

#12 Jul 28, 2007
I was in the home, we called a ambulance to help with my husband having a sizure as we had over 100 times before documentented on 911 also and this time we get a cop that killed him infront on me and my 4 kidshow is that right he could have shot him in the knees or arm i was telling him it was a bb gun, he did not have to shoot him 4 times in the liver and kill him ! I will never trust cops again scum of the earth
widow

Dallas, TX

#13 Jul 28, 2007
FOOTBALL YOUR ARE A IDIOT!! YOU WERE NOT THIER THIS WAS A UNTRAINED STUPID MAN WHOM TOOK SOMEONE LIFE FOR NO REASON !!!!!!
FOOTBALL GHS wrote:
TO:You Think you know. Maintaing composure, what are talking about? He shot a guy pointing a gun at him. Besides leaving a suicidal person alone is NEVER an option!!! Oh and Questioning you about God; all I have to say is that you questioned my Christianity and my (Soul) first. Oh and the thou shalt not kill part... What about David??? HUM? Seems like God told him to destroy the giant (Goliath.)I am done with responding to you. It is obvious that you are blind to the real world. Thanks for your delusional commentaries. Next time your family needs protection or somebody violates your property call a crack head you may find him more sensensitive to your liberal needs.(PS BIBLE should be capitalized.) GOD BLESS THE DEPUTY!
You think you know

Springdale, AR

#14 Jul 30, 2007
God Bless The Widow and her Family!!! I am praying for you all!
gazazk

Ismailia, Egypt

#15 Jul 30, 2007
uyuiyij;p'o[opouiyiutyghjhj
anonymous

Forney, TX

#17 Aug 12, 2007
This man had a seizure disorder and the Sheriff's Dept knew of his condition and address well. They have been to this address numerous times and knew how to handle this man. The one time they send in someone who doesn't know how to handle him, he ends up dead. Great job?? I think not. Just goes to show you how much a "deputy" knows in how to handle the public. Give a man a gun and he wants to save the world.....
FREIND

Dallas, TX

#18 Aug 23, 2007
wHAT ABOUT THE 12 YEAR OLD BOY WHO WATCHED C. WHATLEY KILL HIS DAD AND NOW THE BOY CAN NOT SLEEP AND CRY'S THINKING HE IS HAVING A HEART ATTACH AND GOING TO DIE,MR. WHATLEY I HOPE YOUR CHILDREN OR WIFE NEVER HAVE TO SEE THINGS LIKE THIS.I HOPE YOU CAN GET UP DAILY KNOWING YOUR CRUSHED 4 CHILCREN FOR LIFE!MAY GOD SEE YOU THRU THIS. A FAMILY FRIEND OF THE MILLERS
OMG

Mayfield, KY

#19 Aug 24, 2007
To the family and friends of the man who was shot, I am very sorry for your loss. I pray the God will help you through these tough times. For all of you that are playing Monday morning quarterback, stay out of it. Mabey the Deputy didn't do exactly the right thing, mabey he did. You don't know, you weren't there. You can't second guess a situation if you weren't there because you don't know what you would do unless you are faced with a situation. I know from being a police officer for 11 years that if someone points a gun at you, you do what you are trained to STOP THE THREAT. Police officers are trained to shoot to stop the threat. They are trained to shoot "center mass" of the body to stop the threat. I have never been trained or heard of anyone being trained to shoot someone in the leg or arm, only to shoot center mass to stop the threat. I kept repeating the phrase "stop the threat" so that you all may be able to understand how engrained this is in a police officer's mind. When you are placed in a high stress situation, your mind automatically reverts to your training. Muscle memory kicks in and you do what you have been trained to do. Again, I am sorry for the family's loss but please don't crucify this Deputy unless you have all of the facts and you have been in a situation like this.
JFJ

Dallas, TX

#20 Aug 30, 2007
Dear OMG,

You as a officer are very well aware that a officer is also trained to evaluate the situation,and not walk wright in on a 911 call of a post-ticular sizure victom and you are that other persons are in the room that could have been killed as well just because you as a cop could not use all training, I as well know many cops and they have all said the same thing, thats okay the lawyers love to have these cases and god knows that the cop should not be a cop he can not use his head and a inacent sick man is dead and another widow and kids all alone in this world thanks to our own paid police dept. sounds like another cop cover up that movies make millons off of. concerned
The rest of the story

Grand Prairie, TX

#21 Sep 16, 2007
No one in the home besides the wife, an off duty police officer (the neighbor) and the deputy.
No children were inside because they had been sent to the neighbors house.
The wife invited the deputy inside and asked him for help.
The deputy has spoken with the man many times and had visited with him in the past over many issues (none of which were violent)
The man did not have a history of mental problems and was depressed because he could not work to help his family due to his seizures.
The last words the man said to the deputy (recorded on 911 tape) were "I'm sorry"
You decide for yourself what to believe, not want someone on the internet tells you to.
Also

Grand Prairie, TX

#22 Sep 16, 2007
The 911 tape and the dash camera video are public record and recorded the whole incident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kaufman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Three indicted for mortgage fraud (Apr '08) Apr 1 SALINITY FARTS 18
News New Details Revealed from Search Warrant in Kau... (Apr '13) Mar '18 Rattlesnake Pete 9
kemps new police chief. jimmy council. an hones... (Jan '13) Jan '18 SJM1092 3
Genesis Center Jan '18 Beto 1
Southern Home Craft Inc Nov '17 Need info 1
Surveiiance for neighborhoods (Oct '17) Oct '17 Rugrat 1
wwii vet and his flags (Jul '17) Jul '17 god bless america 1

Kaufman Jobs

Personal Finance

Kaufman Mortgages