'Humiliated' entrepreneur shuts down ...

'Humiliated' entrepreneur shuts down egg stand

There are 12 comments on the Journal News story from Aug 18, 2009, titled 'Humiliated' entrepreneur shuts down egg stand. In it, Journal News reports that:

NEW ROCHELLE - Susan Beshar-Dedona said she has closed down a farm stand in front of her house because of the sudden attention it has been receiving. Advertisement "I didn't want to cause any problems," she said yesterday. "My phone hasn't stopped ringing, and strangers keep coming to my home. I didn't need to be completely humiliated."

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal News.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#1 Aug 18, 2009
Humiliated because she can't read the Zoning Code?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse; nor need it be a cause for humiliation. Good for her for starting up a business; but she can't abuse her neighbors by hurting their property values.

If this nice lady would go looking, she would find plenty of vacant stores nearby for her business. This publicity can only be good for her. I'd buy fresh eggs from her.

Since: Jul 09

Tamaqua, PA

#2 Aug 18, 2009
"He could have come to me and talked to me if he had a problem," she said. "I would have listened. I don't know what desire he had to call the city and the newspaper to ambush me all at once."

Now she's a victim?

"I didn't know who she was, but I saw something improper outside and I called the city," he said. "I followed the right procedure."....Brown said he was not aware of her situation and intends to reach out to her to make amends.

Why is Brown going to "make amends" when there is nothing wrong with what he did?

She broke the law and is playing the victim. Brown did what any citizen should do and feels guilty.

This woman is ignorant of the law and broke it. No one should feel sorry for her, but throw in that she is a single mom and some people's reason goes out the window.

It's a crazy world.
New Rochelle Guy

Bridgewater, NJ

#3 Aug 18, 2009
I hope to meet you soon Mr Bill and perhaps I even know you....but is it not all about someone close (geographically) to this lady who has nothing to do and reported her and although...yes...legally she is wrong....some busybody who was bored reported her.??
Mr_Bill wrote:
Humiliated because she can't read the Zoning Code?
Ignorance of the law is no excuse; nor need it be a cause for humiliation. Good for her for starting up a business; but she can't abuse her neighbors by hurting their property values.
If this nice lady would go looking, she would find plenty of vacant stores nearby for her business. This publicity can only be good for her. I'd buy fresh eggs from her.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#4 Aug 18, 2009
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
I hope to meet you soon Mr Bill and perhaps I even know you....but is it not all about someone close (geographically) to this lady who has nothing to do and reported her and although...yes...legally she is wrong....some busybody who was bored reported her.??
<quoted text>
Mr_Bill knows Mr. Brown, and he is a fine and civic-minded fwllow.

The citizenry all have an obligation to uphold our laws. Zoning laws and regulations are not enforced by the police except on a complaint basis, same as housing law. Someone had to initiate a report.

Next thing you know, her neighbor may decide to open a factory in his basement, or a whore-house (as was done last year, right next to our High School.)

Doing one's civic duty does not make one a busybody.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#5 Aug 18, 2009
I hope that NR Guy, and Ms. G will both come to the GRAND REUNION:

General New Rochelle REUNION ***FREE ADMISSION***
Saturday, October 3, NOON (Rain day Sunday, 10/4)
New Rochelleans of all quarters, and vintages will meet
at the South Lawn of the Tom Paine Cottage,
20 Sicard Avenue, New Rochelle,
Tell all your FRIENDS and relatives, former college classmates,
Bring your family. This reunion will be the FIRST ANNUAL.
It will be FREE-FORM, there are no planned events, speeches, meals.
Go to the FAIR (below,) Meet your old GANG, show off your kids, &c

AND: The COLONIAL FAIR ***FREE ADMISSION***
Saturday, October 3,(Rain date Sunday, 10/4)
10:00AM to 5:00 PM
Tom Paine Cottage, 20 Sicard Avenue, New Rochelle,
Colonial crafts, One Room School House, Colonial and Red Coat soldiers,
Fun, food, activities, History comes alive.
http://www.thomaspainecottage.org/calendar.ht...

Tamaqua, PA

#6 Aug 18, 2009
LOL...It's Mr. G

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#7 Aug 19, 2009
Bayview wrote:
LOL...It's Mr. G
I remember you as the baby, sorry.

Tamaqua, PA

#8 Aug 20, 2009
Yes, I am the youngest of 5.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#9 Aug 21, 2009
Bayview wrote:
Yes, I am the youngest of 5.
Come to the reunion, Mr grown-up G; and tell your sibs. Ask Sue to bring her step-son.

Tamaqua, PA

#10 Aug 21, 2009
I'll tell the sibs, but October 3rd I'll be in Milford, PA selling at a craft show.
http://www.moonshadowsfarm.com/index.php...
jim dandy

Morning Sun, IA

#11 Aug 21, 2009
Given the choice, for animal control or local law enforcement agencies...which call would they personaly choose to respond to...someone's pit bull dog,on the loose or out of their control...someone's illeagle, wild exotic and dangerious pet, escaped...or a woman raising chickens? Well they can't be everywhere at the same time. can they? So they start with the woman with the chickens, and milk it until their shifts are over...the other problem critters, are left for the next shift of workers to deal with. I suspect, those patrol people are looking for anyone, that owns a gerbel or parakeets, have been marked for a visit in the near future!
Vespasianne

AOL

#12 Aug 22, 2009
Jeepers Creepers, it sounds like you folks need to do something to keep busy.... Someone did something against code, she was warned, embarrassed, whatever, and it's OVER -- what's all the fandango??? I'm reminded of rubberneckers on a highway.... Get OVER it, already. Yeeeesh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Katonah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The old A&P/Food Emporium Yorktown Heights (Jun '11) Apr 6 Van Buren St Guy 16
News Robert Durst, the epitome of the macabre: dispatch (Mar '15) Apr 1 Parched 2
Hallmark Job Opportunity in Mahopac Mar 28 VictorOrians 1
best pizza in town of yorktown Mar '17 Van Buren St Guy 3
Stop Prosectors Abuse Mar '17 Nancy Guttenberg 1
News Westchester judge resigns after investigation (Jul '07) Mar '17 GLADIO 13
News Loading them Up (Mar '07) Mar '17 Donald J Wump 90

Katonah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Katonah Mortgages