Southerly North Slope Bo, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

Judged:

I would like to state that I was very pleased with the renovations and improvements the Lasters made when they took over the Mercantile and Cafe. I have been very pleased with the service and overall aspect of the operation and even believed that the new owners were very good people. BUT!!!!!

For the last year my daughter, has worked there in just about every capacity available. She has worked long hours, had no complaints from customers and was even being groomed in the ordering and inventory part of the operation. She worked hard and had the utmost respect for her employer.....BUT!!!!

One saturday she was to work, she was sick and called in....the next day sunday she was scheduled to work on the evening shift....at 11a.m she was called by Destiny Laster and told what a good employee she was but they could no longer allow her to work there!!!!! No reason, no excuse nothing!!!!! Just don't come back to work and pick up your check in the office.

We were dumbstruck!!! My daughter had never had any problems with the Lasters, she had never been warned about any kind of infractions she might have done at work, in fact the week before she had received a note with her paycheck saying congratulations you have been a good employee for 1 year and you have earned a weeks paid vacation...according to a regular customer, Mary Laster had been singing my daughters praises just the day before. So what happened???? Why was she so abruptly dismissed???? And why when she went into pick up her check was she scowled at and ignored by Destiny Laster when she greeted her??? I just don't understand and would like some answers.

I would also like to know why it is my daughter, who is a good, hard working girl was fired, and Sarah, Rocky's sister who definately has some major issues in the work environment, is allowed to draw a salary for almost no work done during her shift, and is actually causing some decrease in business because of her behavior and attitude. Can you say nepotism?

Anyway enough ranting....I would just like to say that I myself and a few of my friends have decided to boycott the Kasilof Mercantile and Rockys Cafe due to unfair labor practices in this instance. I feel really sad that this had to happen, because I was a very good patron of that establishment, but morally I cannot see any other way. I refuse to line the pockets of people who have no regard for others, as seems to be the way it is in regards to the Lasters.
Alaska Mom

Southerly North Slope Bo, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2008

I would like to clarify my earlier comments. While I do not like the way they fired my daughter, I do believe that they have every right to fire anyone they choose. My point was that it was done over the phone with no reason whatsoever, she wasn't even given the common courtesy of being told face to face, and then was treated poorly when she went in to pick up her last paycheck. That is why I am so angry. I feel she was treated unjustly and deserves to be given a reason why she was let go so abruptly. Its only the right thing to do.
Kasilof Neighbor

Anchor Point, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2010

Let us not judge without all the facts. I would not post this complaint on the internet until I marched right into the merc and said " Hey what the #@$% did I do to be treadted this way" Or in a childs case, "please let me know how I can improve for my next employer" I will not boycott a good thing until I know the facts.
Vanessa

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

I know that you were angry and all, but think about it she could now find a better job and have experiance.
Former patron

Soldotna, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

As a regular patron and someone who was helping out to see if I might want to work the indefinately during the very time, I know exactly what happened to clear the record all this time later. This employee was by far the very best they had. She was speedy, extremely compitant,and had a good attitude (which had been lacking with other employees for sure). The day this person called in sick to work, it was the beginning of August and this employee had been asked to work the counter alone for several days, with the explaination given that business was slowing down and the owners felt this person could handle it. Well when let's call her Candy was ill, the boss lady had to work. The nest day she complained at whtat a rough night she had, people constantly coming in (to spend money) and she had enough. Then six guys came in to get fishing liscenses. The stress was too much for the owner, and next Candy was fired. I sincerly believe that the boss should not ask employees to perform work that aren't willing to perform themselves, however this is not the case at the Merc. The employee was far superior at performing her job than anyone else there, not the owners or their kids or any other employee. It is a shame that this business has been taken over by a woman who may be misguided on how to run a business, and her family that works there certainly knows this but in what they think is their best interest they do not challenge her athority. As for the daughter who kind works there, no one should have to work with someone who obviosly was not taught how to have a work ethic and is also mentally challenged. For these reasons I had a fly-on-the-wall perspective, and I do not go there anymore. It sucks because I used to like to support this local business. Unfair practices have made me change my mind.
Similar deal

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

I agree that Mary has serious issues and treats her employees poorly - Rocky is awesome to work for according to my daughter but the rest of the work environment is just bad.
Kasilof man

Soldotna, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

I see the problems at the Merc as well as you, but I just have to say. Do you all really want Mary Lamb back???? dident think so.
Kasilof Woman

Soldotna, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2013

As far as I can see they spit out employees. That tells me there are major problems with the owners. It is a family business. Bob and Mary, Rocky and Destiney ( whom have recently left) and Sarah. You never know what you are walking into Bob for the most part is pretty happy, Mary and Sarah are jeckle & hyde's. most of the employees are rude and unhappy. The few good ones they have had they treat like crap. I won't eat there, cook quit last week so dish washer got promoted. I quit eating there a long time ago after seeing Rocky serve a bowl of chili with a little beard in it. Yuck! They have ran out of decent employees long ago. Unfortunately Alaska is a at will state, no reason they can fire anyone.too bad the community don't fire the Merc.
Meet me at the Merc

Fairbanks, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

So far I understand some are displeased, so this will never sway me from the Merc. After Mary Lamb the merc is like disneyland. Never have I had someone give me a bottle of Pepto-Bismal after closing time telling me to pay for it when I feel better. I did not know Rocky at the time! All business has its low points but I must say job well done by all. Miss you Lassiter Family, please come back even if you dip your stash in my chili I will always love the way you treated me! Lucy will know who I am!
Concerned

Palmer, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2014

Don't judge until you've walked a mile in there shoes. In Alaska you can be fired for no reason at all, and they don't have to give you one. Maybe not the best way to do it, but it is perfectly legal and done all the time by Alaskan employers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kasilof Discussions

Search the Kasilof Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Review: Andrea Trescott MD Jul 14 Umm FIFO 1
Air, ground search for Alaska family of 4 expands Jul 10 Zara 1
Seek out the ideal of 2013 Prom Dresses (Jul '13) Jul 2 Daniel 11
Human remains found by firefighters in Sterling Jun 29 Dennis Normand 1
2 Men Trying for Eagle Photo Rescued From Mudflats Jun 29 Parden Pard 4
Troopers search for missing Soldotna woman Jun 26 Sharene 1
Adams/Hundley/Jividen Jun '14 Duly Noted 1
•••
•••