|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Captured uranium. Riiight...
U 234, captured by the Americans. It's cargo was 560 Kilos of uranium oxide from Germany, meant for the Japanese atomic bomb. They were within 11 days of completing it but the German submarine was ordered to surrender as there was no hope of winning the war. We had no uranium oxide to build the bomb until we offloaded the German submarine in New York. Study some history.
Jimminy Cricket

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Notice the dates do not match; making up again Pinocchio.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> U 234, captured by the Americans. It's cargo was 560 Kilos of uranium oxide from Germany, meant for the Japanese atomic bomb. They were within 11 days of completing it but the German submarine was ordered to surrender as there was no hope of winning the war. We had no uranium oxide to build the bomb until we offloaded the German submarine in New York. Study some history.
Sources of uranium for the Manhattan Project were already established--domestic and Canadian. This u-boat you cite is a historical sideline, having been captured AFTER Japan surrendered and AFTER the bombing or Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Your claim is therefore in error.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

What matters is you are wrong due to ignorance. All the raids following the attack at Pearl were on MILITARY BASES.
The Pacific Theater came about as a RESULT of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor--an attack that would not have occurred if the US had no presence here.
Japan had long been focused on dominating China (a dynamic similar to European expansionism, or "empire building") for its vast raw material reserves, and for political power on the global stage.
Logistically (and logically), Japan would lose focus on their real goal of taking China and Indochina if they were to expend resources invading and occupying resource poor places like Hawaii.
After they bombed Pearl Harbor, they needed to put forward a good offense as a good defense.
Japan wanted China. US had military presence all around China. US had big navy in Hawaii. Knock out US navy and destroy US and British bases elsewhere in Pacific because US was strangling resources. Buy time to establish Empire.
Figure it out genius!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Sources of uranium for the Manhattan Project were already established--domestic and Canadian. This u-boat you cite is a historical sideline, having been captured AFTER Japan surrendered and AFTER the bombing or Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Your claim is therefore in error.
No I'm not wrong, you are. The Japanese were still very much in the war in May, the Germans were not. The US didn't even have enough to run tests with. Really, you should do some research because I'm not a history teacher.
Kapaa Kolohe

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Melt down man!
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Saying so does not make it so.
Your 560 kilos (less than a ton) of "uranium oxide" pales in comparison to the thousands of tons of uranium already in the Manhattan Project pipeline.
But I do stand corrected. Germany had surrendered, and you are correct that Japan was still fighting.

This statement of yours, however, is a romanticism, and highly unlikely:
"Our bombs were made using the very uranium that we got off the captured sub enroute to Japan from Germany."

You assert that Japan was "still very much in the war" but by the time Germany surrendered, they knew it was over, and fending off an invasion from US ground forces was the only option left. Being "11 days of completing" their own bomb is quite dramatic, but only in a Hollywood way.

You are asserting reality from some parallel history book you may have read, but it doesn't make it true just because you read it somewhere.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

District 1 wrote:
Saying so does not make it so.
Your 560 kilos (less than a ton) of "uranium oxide" pales in comparison to the thousands of tons of uranium already in the Manhattan Project pipeline.
But I do stand corrected. Germany had surrendered, and you are correct that Japan was still fighting.
This statement of yours, however, is a romanticism, and highly unlikely:
"Our bombs were made using the very uranium that we got off the captured sub enroute to Japan from Germany."
You assert that Japan was "still very much in the war" but by the time Germany surrendered, they knew it was over, and fending off an invasion from US ground forces was the only option left. Being "11 days of completing" their own bomb is quite dramatic, but only in a Hollywood way.
You are asserting reality from some parallel history book you may have read, but it doesn't make it true just because you read it somewhere.
Why not check it out and see for yourself? We did NOT have the needed material.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Joe Balls wrote:
<quoted text> Why not check it out and see for yourself? We did NOT have the needed material.
I did check it out. The account you cite is widely refuted. Days before the U-234 set sail, the Riken Lab (where it would likely have been enriched) was destroyed in an Allied bombing raid. So much for your war's end hysterics.

A quick browse of Wikipedia says "The uranium subsequently disappeared, most likely finding its way to the Manhattan Project's Oak Ridge diffusion plant. It has been calculated that it would have yielded approximately 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg) of U-235 after processing, around 20% of what would have been required to arm a contemporary fission weapon."

If Wiki is to be believed, your assertions are dramatic exaggerations at best.
Bippitie Bobbsy Boo

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Mirror, mirror on he wall it is the gerbil perv.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

Judged:

Bippitie Bobbsy Boo wrote:
Mirror, mirror on he wall it is the gerbil perv.
So...again looking in the mirror you see what???
Guru Not the Fake Ass One

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

I'LL USE CAPS; BBB CALLED YOU A GERBIL PERV.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2013

caps does not make it any more clear.
PLEASE BE THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>I did check it out. The account you cite is widely refuted. Days before the U-234 set sail, the Riken Lab (where it would likely have been enriched) was destroyed in an Allied bombing raid. So much for your war's end hysterics.
A quick browse of Wikipedia says "The uranium subsequently disappeared, most likely finding its way to the Manhattan Project's Oak Ridge diffusion plant. It has been calculated that it would have yielded approximately 7.7 pounds (3.5 kg) of U-235 after processing, around 20% of what would have been required to arm a contemporary fission weapon."
If Wiki is to be believed, your assertions are dramatic exaggerations at best.
Old news. That story has been updated as more things have been revealed.
District 1

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

So do tell. Post a link to support.
I say you are spreading mythology. But I would be happy to know the truth if my view is incorrect.
teesha

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

District 1 wrote:
What matters is you are wrong due to ignorance. All the raids following the attack at Pearl were on MILITARY BASES.
The Pacific Theater came about as a RESULT of the Bombing of Pearl Harbor--an attack that would not have occurred if the US had no presence here.
Japan had long been focused on dominating China (a dynamic similar to European expansionism, or "empire building") for its vast raw material reserves, and for political power on the global stage.
Logistically (and logically), Japan would lose focus on their real goal of taking China and Indochina if they were to expend resources invading and occupying resource poor places like Hawaii.
After they bombed Pearl Harbor, they needed to put forward a good offense as a good defense.
Japan wanted China. US had military presence all around China. US had big navy in Hawaii. Knock out US navy and destroy US and British bases elsewhere in Pacific because US was strangling resources. Buy time to establish Empire.
Figure it out genius!
Very interesting Mr. District! U.S. military presence indeed is a good central point of its attack on Pearl Harbor. Never looked at it that way...thought provoking honey!

My thought is that as Japan emerged as a military power in the early 20th century, did not the Japanese justify their expansion in conquering other lands in the same political and military notion as the European powers, mainly the Spanish, French and English, colonized other nations globally? Korea, was already a Japanese posession, and of course, all of mainland China would naturally be the jewel on their global crown.

If the U.S. military were not present in the Pacific and throughout East Asia, what would have detered the Japanese from "eventually" conquering the Island nations throughout the Pacific? Had Japan conquered China, rich in resources and a large population, it's military confindence would have had fierce momentum thus fearing nobody! Do you think that the Island nations in the Pacific would have "chosen" to embrace Japanese imperialism had the U.S. stayed a regional power?

I do understand the reality of why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, knocking off its chief military rival in the Pacific. But if the U.S. was never there, and Japan rapidly emerging as a military and political player globally during the first half of the 1900's, don't you think Hawaii would have been sitting ducks and eventually (whether by military force and political negotiations)succumb to Japanese imperialism?

Black girl who loves history...lol...
teesha

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

P.S.

I originally commented my dumb comments based on the "light-hearted and silly" topic sentence of this thread. But, after reading "your" excellent posts, and many others, regarding a fascinating time in history, I do humbly apologize...

Looking forward to your response!
teesha

Santa Ana, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

P.S.S.

To clarify further, would an independent Hawaii (not being annexed by the U.S. in 1898) withstand being colonized or conquered by a rapidly rising new imperial global power of Japan? Why or why not?
Mitsubishi Zero

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Tora, tora, tora. By the way *Splat*.
carol

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

yup

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Kapolei Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Kapolei People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••