Comments
1 - 20 of 671 Comments Last updated Jun 14, 2014
First Prev
of 34
Next Last
stupid Hawaii

Honolulu, HI

#1 Jan 7, 2011
Is it something in the salt water? the poi? the Heineken?
Smart person

Honolulu, HI

#2 Jan 7, 2011
It's a lack of education, poor parenting and isolation from mainstream America.
Thomas

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 7, 2011
No I don't feel that the Hawaiian people are anymore stupid than anywhere else , Hawaiians are more of a laid back people and not as uptight as mainlanders , the weather in Hawaii is much more milder and relaxing than parts of the mainland , people in Hawaii generally enjoy life more !
poi eateh

United States

#4 Feb 10, 2011
Thomas wrote:
No I don't feel that the Hawaiian people are anymore stupid than anywhere else , Hawaiians are more of a laid back people and not as uptight as mainlanders , the weather in Hawaii is much more milder and relaxing than parts of the mainland , people in Hawaii generally enjoy life more !
Some of these stupid people you may cross arent from Hawaii.
They are typically from the Philippines.
Too much "ainokea" supports the stupid people in Hawaii.Too much relaxtion=laziness which causes stupidness to most.
Squawk is Cheep

Mililani, HI

#5 Feb 11, 2011
People from the Mainland often assume that they're smarter than many locals simply because they speak Standard English better than them. But Standard English is a true second language for many locals, who grew up speaking either Hawaiian Pidgin or an "accepted" foreign language, like Filipino, Chinese, etc.

Even as a local, I sometimes fall into the trap of initially assuming that a Mainland haole I meet is intelligent, simply because he/she speaks well. But the more they keep talking, oftentimes the more they reveal that they're only of average intelligence... or worse. They can talk the talk, but they can't necessarily walk the walk.

The ability to speak English well is not always a valid measure of intelligence when you're dealing with such a multi-ethnic society.
leeward lolo

Honolulu, HI

#6 Feb 11, 2011
Yep, I was being really stupid, fortunately realized it and deleted four + paragraphs about why we live here compared to other climates.

So the smart people will enjoy life where they are now. You would be out of place here among us dummies.
not so fast

Honolulu, HI

#7 Feb 11, 2011
Squawk is Cheep wrote:
People from the Mainland often assume that they're smarter than many locals simply because they speak Standard English better than them. But Standard English is a true second language for many locals, who grew up speaking either Hawaiian Pidgin or an "accepted" foreign language, like Filipino, Chinese, etc.
Even as a local, I sometimes fall into the trap of initially assuming that a Mainland haole I meet is intelligent, simply because he/she speaks well. But the more they keep talking, oftentimes the more they reveal that they're only of average intelligence... or worse. They can talk the talk, but they can't necessarily walk the walk.
The ability to speak English well is not always a valid measure of intelligence when you're dealing with such a multi-ethnic society.
So in other words they use big fancy words to say something stupid..
poi poi

Tacoma, WA

#8 Feb 11, 2011
Squawk is Cheep wrote:
Speaking pidgin does not automatically make you stupid.
Nor does being a haole from the mainland who speaks good english makes one smart.
The stupid people in Hawaii have no common sense or are just plain idiots.
If you have in a car in Hawaii, you would know what I'm talking about.
leeward lolo

Honolulu, HI

#9 Feb 11, 2011
But speaking of dummies on Oahu:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2011/...

But this will bring in educated workers from mainland and raise rental income. They have been recruiting supervisors for a long time in California.
Squawk is Cheep

Mililani, HI

#10 Feb 11, 2011
not so fast wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words they use big fancy words to say something stupid..
I guess it depends on what you consider a "big fancy word."
Opinion

Waianae, HI

#11 Feb 11, 2011
stupid Hawaii wrote:
No...it is because of the likes of you.Grab that statement and go rub it on your sheets for all that it is worth.
Opinion

Waianae, HI

#12 Feb 11, 2011
Ban him.
Best Guesser

Mililani, HI

#13 Feb 11, 2011
stupid Hawaii wrote:
Nah, It's probably something in those BBQ ribs that we're known for. Oh wait, that's not Hawaii.
Opinion

Waianae, HI

#14 Feb 12, 2011
Best Guesser wrote:
<quoted text>Nah, It's probably something in those BBQ ribs that we're known for. Oh wait, that's not Hawaii.
Resist the urge brother...he is A.I.
Squawk is Cheep

Mililani, HI

#15 Feb 12, 2011
poi poi wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking pidgin does not automatically make you stupid.
Nor does being a haole from the mainland who speaks good english makes one smart.
The stupid people in Hawaii have no common sense or are just plain idiots.
If you have in a car in Hawaii, you would know what I'm talking about.
I agree that Hawaii drivers are poor as a whole. Two things in "our" defense:(1) Many here are immigrants who didn't even learn to drive a car until they were much older than the typical Mainland driver. Years of driving experience makes a difference.(2) Many people here have either no, or very limited experience, driving in the freeway/traffic/weather conditions that one would encounter living on the Mainland... especially if you've lived in multiple locations, have driven interstate/cross-country, etc. This is also kind of in line with the first point as well.

Driving can be as much about driving experience as it is about intelligence and what most drivers would consider plain old common sense. For example, the classic Hawaii drivers who feel totally justified in driving 45 mph in the (fast) left lane on the H-1. Legally, they're totally within their rights... but had they been used to driving in the Mainland, they'd know that's not acceptable... and that they'd either get run over by a semi, or maybe even ticketed in some jurisdictions if they tried that there.

You don't know how many times I crack up when I'm at the beach, and watch ivory-white tourists who are probably of at least average intelligence fumble around dealing with what even local kids would consider beyond the simplest of things -- like washing sand off their feet. They look so stupid. Why do they struggle? I assume that it's because many of them have little experience in dealing with beach sand and rubber slippers (aka, "flip-flops," lol).

But back to your point on Hawaii drivers -- trust me, I'm swearing every other minute that I'm behind the wheel.
Ira v

United States

#16 Feb 12, 2011
Squawk is Cheep wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that Hawaii drivers are poor as a whole. Two things in "our" defense:(1) Many here are immigrants who didn't even learn to drive a car until they were much older than the typical Mainland driver. Years of driving experience makes a difference.(2) Many people here have either no, or very limited experience, driving in the freeway/traffic/weather conditions that one would encounter living on the Mainland... especially if you've lived in multiple locations, have driven interstate/cross-country, etc. This is also kind of in line with the first point as well.
Driving can be as much about driving experience as it is about intelligence and what most drivers would consider plain old common sense. For example, the classic Hawaii drivers who feel totally justified in driving 45 mph in the (fast) left lane on the H-1. Legally, they're totally within their rights... but had they been used to driving in the Mainland, they'd know that's not acceptable... and that they'd either get run over by a semi, or maybe even ticketed in some jurisdictions if they tried that there.
You don't know how many times I crack up when I'm at the beach, and watch ivory-white tourists who are probably of at least average intelligence fumble around dealing with what even local kids would consider beyond the simplest of things -- like washing sand off their feet. They look so stupid. Why do they struggle? I assume that it's because many of them have little experience in dealing with beach sand and rubber slippers (aka, "flip-flops," lol).
But back to your point on Hawaii drivers -- trust me, I'm swearing every other minute that I'm behind the wheel.
My favorite drivers are the ones who allow passengers to ride in backs of trucks without anything to keep them in.You know, the passengers who ride in the back who look like they may fly away if the driver breaks really hard or makes a sharp turn. Only in Hawaii.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#17 Feb 12, 2011
Ira v wrote:
<quoted text>
My favorite drivers are the ones who allow passengers to ride in backs of trucks without anything to keep them in.You know, the passengers who ride in the back who look like they may fly away if the driver breaks really hard or makes a sharp turn. Only in Hawaii.
Why are you worried about them? This is the tropics and people ride in the back of trucks. Almost every time you read of an accident like this it was some idiot sitting on the edge of the bed, or drunk, or racing. Why don't you whine about something in your own area instead of trying to change us?
wow er

United States

#18 Feb 13, 2011
stumpy wrote:
<quoted text> Why are you worried about them? This is the tropics and people ride in the back of trucks. Almost every time you read of an accident like this it was some idiot sitting on the edge of the bed, or drunk, or racing. Why don't you whine about something in your own area instead of trying to change us?
You're from Waianae. That figures.
kokey kid

United States

#19 Feb 13, 2011
stumpy wrote:
<quoted text> Why are you worried about them? This is the tropics and people ride in the back of trucks. Almost every time you read of an accident like this it was some idiot sitting on the edge of the bed, or drunk, or racing. Why don't you whine about something in your own area instead of trying to change us?
Your commet is dangerous.
stumpy

Waipahu, HI

#20 Feb 13, 2011
If some dummy falls off the edge of a truck bed and splits his head open, that's HIS business. You new-age yuppies just can't mind your own business for two seconds. You drive a Prius, don't you. Probably light blue.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 34
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapolei Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abercrombie sets historical defeat 1 hr American_Infidel 1
Watch KITV's Friday midday webcast 2 hr American_Infidel 1
Abercrombie screws HHSC employees by starting r... 2 hr Creature 6
Construction on Honolulu's King Street bicycle ... 3 hr American_Infidel 1
Last Post Wins (Apr '11) 5 hr -Lily- 2,155
Police looking for suspect in Zippy's Kapahulu ... 9 hr Joe Balls 2
Michael Brown a Thug Like Trayvon 9 hr Joe Balls 121
•••
•••
•••