Letters to the Editor - Editorials

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

How paradoxical it was to first watch actor Sean Penn be embraced by his peers and awarded the Oscar on Sunday for his portrayal of gay rights pioneer Harvey Milk ... and then see the hatred demonstrated by ...

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Martin Hollowell

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

Didn't you hear Sean's acceptance speech? He thanked the "commie, homo-loving" crowd. So thank you for your redundancy.
old country gal in Kailua

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

LindaS wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. The rights of any minority were never meant to be put to a vote. Our founding fathers were very concerned about protecting the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority.
You are absolutely right!!
old country gal in Kailua

Kapolei, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Thanks to you, Manny, and the rest of the Trinidad family for sharing your precious Corky with us. We are all the better for it.
Martin Hollowell

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Judged:

Faithful in Hawaii wrote:
Since letter writer Martin Hollowell asks "What would Jesus do" regarding the issue of gay marriage, I offer the answer that He wouldn't vote for nor condone it. Everywhere in the Bible that homosexuality is mentioned, it is discussed as a sin, an abhorrence to God. And, everywhere in the Bible that marriage is discussed in the Bible, it is heterosexual relationship. While Christ had (has) compassion for all sinners, He never condoned that they continue in the practice of their sin. Quite frequently He admonished them with, "Go, and sin no more".
How wrong you are. The bible was written by zealots and kings that wanted society as they wanted it. Besides, hasn't anyone ever heard of separation of church and state? I care not that the bible says women should be slaves and stoned and shell fish eaters be stoned and those wearing certain garments be killed and on and on... that bears no logic to thinking people of today. Keep your bible thumping behind closed doors. Your choice to lead your life as a religious zealot should have no bearing on others. Keep your religious cultish thinking in the closet. It is your choice to live in ignorance. And have a nice day.
Martin Hollowell

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

elaine wrote:
Martin Hollowell...Jesus would love the person and disapprove the action. If everyone would see this issue in this way, protests would be more CIVIL rather than EMOTIONAL...sometimes a hard thing to do when you believe in the ACTION so strongly than the PERSON!
Thanks "elaine" for speaking for Jesus. He must be proud...
Stumpy

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

I've ridden the city bus a few times, and don't see how phones distract the driver. What I did see was women sitting directly behing the driver and yapping their heads off at him for the entire bus ride. The only cell-phone talkers I see that are a real problem on a bus are the school bus drivers that yap while driving the kids. I know the bus companies say it's not allowed, but they should come out to the leeward side and watch them. It rare to see a woman bus driver that's NOT yapping.
Poi Boy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Oh Pablo. How many times will there be an accident when you're going to work or to meet your friends? What did people do before cellphones were in existence, they couldn't call either party? The excess talk on the bus just disrupts the somewhat peace and quiet, especially for those who are reading or sleeping. Think about that!!!!!!!!
Martin Hollowell

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

And what is exactly is an "ultra liberal"? Must be anyone with far more education than people who make such short-sighted and ignorant statements as your. Besides, my original statement was meant to show how such ignorance was easily demonstrated on the night of the Oscars. The hatred demonstrated here in Hawaii by the religious zealots has frightened a new generation. One small step forward only be shoved far back into the closet by closed minded bigots... I'm guessing the ilk of which you must be familiar... the ULTRA CONSERVATIVES?
willie wrote:
Martin Hollowell - and who was it voted to give Penn that Oscar...oh yeah, the ULTRA LIBERAL Screen Actors Guild in Hollywood. Never mind that the actual acting was just average and any of the other nominees did a far better job, best to send out the "message" rather than vote based on talent.
Thankfully laws are not written based on what faction is the most vocal but rather on what the majority of the community deems is propper.
Hoailona

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2009

Thom1s wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't you have the honesty to call a spade a spade?
Homosexuals have taken an innocent word once used by children to describe a carefree, even joyous moment of their innocent lives and have utterly corrupted it.
Why are you so afraid of the word "homosexual"?
Perhaps it is that homosexuals are ANYTHING BUT gay, in the traditional meaning of that once-innocent word.
If there is to be peace between these two communities and, at some point, genuine tolerance, it will NOT be based on cloaking truth with euphemisms. Let us resolve to be HONEST in our use of the words we choose to have these discussions.
"Homosexual" is a perfectly good word and there is no sense letting it go to waste.
One word has clearly kept it's meaning: HATE

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 29 of29
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Kapaau Discussions

Search the Kapaau Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
pau pizza Jun 23 in love 1
Big Island kava bars (Dec '09) May '14 HEP C RISK 4
Review: DR. Stover's Cosmetic Centers Of Hawaii Apr '14 Potentail Patient 1
About Town | 4-2-14 Apr '14 Juli 1
Boyfriend is indicted in murder and arson (Jan '07) Apr '14 Big man 27
Kumu follows own kumu's 'path' (Mar '08) Jan '14 Kawewehiokeana 11
Review: Wlsn Pacific LLC (Nov '12) May '13 Kohala Hospital 3
•••
•••