Letters to the Editor - Editorials

Feb 24, 2009 Read more: Honolulu Star-Bulletin 29
How paradoxical it was to first watch actor Sean Penn be embraced by his peers and awarded the Oscar on Sunday for his portrayal of gay rights pioneer Harvey Milk ... and then see the hatred demonstrated by ... Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
willie

Farmington, MI

#1 Feb 24, 2009
Martin Hollowell - and who was it voted to give Penn that Oscar...oh yeah, the ULTRA LIBERAL Screen Actors Guild in Hollywood. Never mind that the actual acting was just average and any of the other nominees did a far better job, best to send out the "message" rather than vote based on talent.

Thankfully laws are not written based on what faction is the most vocal but rather on what the majority of the community deems is propper.

“Marriage=Love+Co mmitment.....”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 24, 2009
willie wrote:
Thankfully laws are not written based on what faction is the most vocal but rather on what the majority of the community deems is propper.
You are incorrect. The rights of any minority were never meant to be put to a vote. Our founding fathers were very concerned about protecting the rights of minorities from the tyranny of the majority.
Fleet Ghost

AOL

#3 Feb 24, 2009
Oppose cell phone yapping on buses.

“Don't believe what you hear.”

Since: Sep 08

Wahiawa

#4 Feb 24, 2009
Government should get out of the marriage business altogether.
Get rid of tax breaks of any sort for married couples (of any gender, creed, racial diversity, etc.)
Establish a civil union law that has penalties for not complying with certain basic contractual tenets (as isn't that what a marriage is?)
Establish moral guides that affect the entire population that limit public display of affection to contact of less than 2 seconds unless at a funeral or similar event and the act is a consoling hug (not french kissing.)
Groping in public should not be legal.(no matter the sexual orientation of those involved.)
If a company, religion, or ??? wants to offer benefits to the "significant other" (male or female)of the civil union, that is their option, not to be mandated by the government.

"God" may have put it in "the book" that a man shouldn't lay w/ a man, but "the book" doesn't account for all the different issues that come about when 2 sets of genes randomly interact and then become a human being. Case in point, hermaphrodites, conjoined twins. If "God" can permit/enable physical differences, why is it impossible that peoples brains cannot be wired differently? Some people are born with great intellectual abilities, some not. Some have great motivation, some not (could be a social issue also.)
I think sexual orientation, although in some cases a choice, is not chosen by the majority of those affected. As such, who am I to judge.
However, I do believe that sexual activities should be relegated to the security of a private residence out of sight. This is applicable to all persons, not just of one persuasion or the other. Holding hands is one thing, grabbing/groping is something entirely different.
Alan Cummings

Port Angeles, WA

#5 Feb 24, 2009
Fleet Ghost wrote:
Oppose cell phone yapping on buses.
I agree with you. I guess the letter writer seems to forget that the world still revolved before cell phones, and will if they are banned from buses. Even though it was not on the bus, some inconsiderate jackass was blocking the isle at a grocery store yesterday while she was yapping to her friend(in a voice the whole store could hear). She had her back turned to the other people in the same isle and ignored the people who asked her(politely) to please move.
jealous no cell phone

Kailua Kona, HI

#6 Feb 24, 2009
To Pablo W.- In an age when lots of pre-teens have cell phones - how can you adopt the silly attitude that people oppose cell use on buses out of jealousy for not owning a cell phone? Ridiculous.
wharfrat

Kailua, HI

#7 Feb 24, 2009
Mickey Rourke got screwed and he's a heterosexual! The academy has never seen a gay character they wouldn't give the big award to. What a pile.
lukela

Honolulu, HI

#8 Feb 24, 2009
Howinthehell did we ever survive before cell phones??
Faithful in Hawaii

United States

#9 Feb 24, 2009
Since letter writer Martin Hollowell asks "What would Jesus do" regarding the issue of gay marriage, I offer the answer that He wouldn't vote for nor condone it. Everywhere in the Bible that homosexuality is mentioned, it is discussed as a sin, an abhorrence to God. And, everywhere in the Bible that marriage is discussed in the Bible, it is heterosexual relationship. While Christ had (has) compassion for all sinners, He never condoned that they continue in the practice of their sin. Quite frequently He admonished them with, "Go, and sin no more".
kailuaresident

Kaneohe, HI

#10 Feb 24, 2009
We knoe faithfull objections to 444 is bible based, but I am wondering if Thomas Stuart's is to. Becauase that is the only objection around and totally inappropiate for legislators to consider (seperation of church and state). I agree with getting the governemnt out of the marrige business altogether..
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#11 Feb 24, 2009
kailuaresident wrote:
We knoe faithfull objections to 444 is bible based, but I am wondering if Thomas Stuart's is to. Becauase that is the only objection around and totally inappropiate for legislators to consider (seperation of church and state). I agree with getting the governemnt out of the marrige business altogether..
So you have no problems with a husband testifying against his wife in a trial?
What Separation

United States

#12 Feb 24, 2009
Faithful in Hawaii wrote:
Since letter writer Martin Hollowell asks "What would Jesus do" regarding the issue of gay marriage, I offer the answer that He wouldn't vote for nor condone it. Everywhere in the Bible that homosexuality is mentioned, it is discussed as a sin, an abhorrence to God. And, everywhere in the Bible that marriage is discussed in the Bible, it is heterosexual relationship. While Christ had (has) compassion for all sinners, He never condoned that they continue in the practice of their sin. Quite frequently He admonished them with, "Go, and sin no more".
Proof that all the protests against 444 is religion based. So much for separation of church and state.
"What would jesus do?" He'd just die.
Nuuanu Mama

Honolulu, HI

#13 Feb 24, 2009
Based on the trend in France, heterosexual couples might want to demand the establishment of civil unions. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...
Pablo BS

Honolulu, HI

#14 Feb 24, 2009
Hey Pablo ! Go back to your Commie spewing biased UH news rag ( which virtually no student reads,).

Just about everyone has a cell phone. That's not the point. The point is Hawaii folk are genrally quiet people on a Bus and just don't want to hear screeching walky talky sounds or loudmouths ( maybe like you ) droning on and on for the entire ferakin Bus ride.

Get it ? If you don't you may find yourself being thrown off the Bus by a bunch of angry bruddahs !
elaine

United States

#15 Feb 24, 2009
Martin Hollowell...Jesus would love the person and disapprove the action. If everyone would see this issue in this way, protests would be more CIVIL rather than EMOTIONAL...sometimes a hard thing to do when you believe in the ACTION so strongly than the PERSON!
No Mas

Honolulu, HI

#16 Feb 24, 2009
Look,Sean Penn probably is Gay as are so many of the Hollywood Creeps with Schizophrenic,Multiple Personailty Disorders ( Thats what you ned to be a Contemporary Actor ).

What most object to is Hollywood Creeps using their Bully Pulpit for their so called Social Engineering.

Hey Sean ! You like being around Gays ? Be my guest but don't try and force that AIDS Disease spreading Lifestyle acceptance on the rest of us.
alice

Pahoa, HI

#17 Feb 24, 2009
Look, I am a UH student and have no problems with the huge number of gays among the faculty. Live and let live.
Thom1s

Honolulu, HI

#18 Feb 24, 2009
kailuaresident wrote:
My, my, my.

Let's see now: "We knoe [SIC] faithfull [SIC] objections to 444 is bible based, but I am wondering if Thomas Stuart's is to. Becauase [SIC] that is the only objection around and totally inappropiate [SIC] for legislators to consider (seperation [SIC] of church and state). I agree with getting the governemnt [SIC] out of the marrige [SIC] business altogether."

Is there ANY joy more sublime than the delight of discovering a brain dead adversary?

BTW there is no REPEAT NO such thing as separation of Church and State.
Yeah

Mililani, HI

#19 Feb 24, 2009
Thom1s wrote:
<quoted text>
My, my, my.
Let's see now: "We knoe [SIC] faithfull [SIC] objections to 444 is bible based, but I am wondering if Thomas Stuart's is to. Becauase [SIC] that is the only objection around and totally inappropiate [SIC] for legislators to consider (seperation [SIC] of church and state). I agree with getting the governemnt [SIC] out of the marrige [SIC] business altogether."
Is there ANY joy more sublime than the delight of discovering a brain dead adversary?
BTW there is no REPEAT NO such thing as separation of Church and State.
The head of the class. Teacher and student combined in one body. What a combination.

My, oh, my!
Thom1s

Honolulu, HI

#20 Feb 24, 2009
alice wrote:
Look, I am a UH student and have no problems with the huge number of gays among the faculty. Live and let live.
Then why don't you have the honesty to call a spade a spade?

Homosexuals have taken an innocent word once used by children to describe a carefree, even joyous moment of their innocent lives and have utterly corrupted it.

Why are you so afraid of the word "homosexual"?

Perhaps it is that homosexuals are ANYTHING BUT gay, in the traditional meaning of that once-innocent word.

If there is to be peace between these two communities and, at some point, genuine tolerance, it will NOT be based on cloaking truth with euphemisms. Let us resolve to be HONEST in our use of the words we choose to have these discussions.

"Homosexual" is a perfectly good word and there is no sense letting it go to waste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Hernandez Connie ND Apr 2 JAYNE T 1
News Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite Jan '15 lanigirl 1
News Weekly gas report: Price for regular unleaded f... Jan '15 Joann jacomb 1
News About Town | 8-29-14 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Dody Clifford 1
Fun in Waimea (Jul '14) Jul '14 James 2
pau pizza (Jun '14) Jun '14 in love 1
News Big Island kava bars (Dec '09) May '14 HEP C RISK 4
More from around the web

Kapaau People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE