Letters

There are 10 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Apr 7, 2008, titled Letters. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Honolulu needs better, cheaper bus service If our government is really concerned about the working poor and families who are trying their best not to become homeless, what isthe planto helpwhen gas prices reach ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

John

Wailuku, HI

#1 Apr 7, 2008
Let's not be concerned with what type of rail is better than the next. First, we should ask,"Do we have enough riders for a rail system?". The City's requirement that technology vendors provide systems that can handle 9,000 passengers per hour is bogus. There is no current ridership data for this project.
The City Council should ask for ridership numbers from the Administration. The numbers exist and are being withheld from the public.
Pupuka

Wailuku, HI

#2 Apr 7, 2008
This is an opportunity for Lingle, Hee, Magoay, Nakata, Harbin to move the needy to Turtle Bay. What a winner! Oh, I forgot Gill, Paty, and their committee
Light Rail - NOT

Kahului, HI

#3 Apr 7, 2008
I don't live in Waikiki because I like the 3rd-world ambience. I live here because it is no more than 15 minutes from most jobs, even downtown jobs.

I don't feel sorry for the people who live Leeward and have to drive 2 hours to work.

Move or quit complaining. But don't make me pay for your luxury ride.

Lexus lanes? Thy name is rail.
JWB2002

Salt Lake City, UT

#4 Apr 7, 2008
Popular vote: The US Constitution and the Federalist Papers should be required reading in social studies and passing a test on the Constitution to graduate high school. All elected officials should also have to pass the test before having their names on the ballot. Then maybe they would uphold their oath of office.
Thimk

Kilauea, HI

#5 Apr 7, 2008
Why do people drive their cars to the same place everyday and then park the car, then drive back and park the car at home?

The process takes at least a couple of hours and causes traffic congestion for miles. Why don't people thimk about that the next time they wake up at 4:30 in the morning to sit in a big wave of red and white lights paying God knows how much at the pump when they could have spent 40 dollars for free access.

Time management...do your groceries on the weekend, get the kids a bike and have them off to school that way.

No more after school triple whoppers and double cheeseburger and obese little brats with attitudes waiting for life to give them a Hummer or an Escalade so that they can sit in traffic JUST LIKE MOMMY AND DADDY.
&fe ature=related
Pony

Honolulu, HI

#6 Apr 7, 2008
Oahu people. You don"t need the rail system, use the Supperferry. The west side people can drive on, sail into Honolulu harbor, drive off go to work. The Supperferry can then load up with visitors show them Oahu from the ocean, and be back in time to pick up the workers, sail them back to the West side. Save your money for the rail system, put the Supperferry to good use, and make the people on Kauai and Maui happy. Win, win for everyone.
JOF

Maunaloa, HI

#7 Apr 7, 2008
Thimk wrote:
Why do people drive their cars to the same place everyday and then park the car, then drive back and park the car at home?
The process takes at least a couple of hours and causes traffic congestion for miles._A-p8&feature=relate d
I think what is missing from the transit project is "Station Cars". Mass Transit doesn't meet everyone's needs -- feeder bus routes to/from the train stations don't go where everyone needs to go -- in general, Honolulu isn't dense enough for mass transit to meet everyone's needs.

They should spend some money building a station car depot at major stations -- a pool of fuel efficient or electric rental cars that can be rented for a reasonable day-fee to get from the train station to the user's final destination. Let someone like Zipcar ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipcar ) manage it.
give me a break

Kaneohe, HI

#8 Apr 7, 2008
Don't you people read anything, "the train will NOT help the traffic jams"---never---ask the mufster's gang!!!!!!

The best solution is to build the mew U.H. on the west side (notice there is VERY LITTLE traffic on NON SCHOOL DAYS)?

But the frosting on the cake is A MORATORIUM ON BUILDING "NO MORE BUILDING PERMITS" UNLESS THEY INCORPORATE INFRASTRUCTURE-----GET IT INFRASTRUCTURE-----THIS WILL ALSO KEEP SOME OF OUR BEST FARM LANDS "FARMING NEW CONCEPT, LATELY".

This will also aleviate the land speculation (buying ag lands then go for zoning changes) haven't we seen enough of this already!!!!!!1

But the builders say we need housing, YES WE DO, ONLY THE KEY WORD IS AFFORDABLE. This is like swearing at the builder/developer "no money in it"!!!!!!

The believers gul-a-ble enough to believe the mufster that the "m" train is the only way to go SHOULD BUY THE BRIDGE ACROSS SAN FRANCISCO BAY CHEAP-----GET IT-----

Still from Kaneohe.
JOF

Maunaloa, HI

#9 Apr 7, 2008
Give me a break "give me a break". The only reason the train will not increase congestion is because car traffic is expected to increase to replace riders that move to transit. And there will be drivers that move to transit, especially as gas prices continue to rise.

Even if you could build enough cat lanes to handle the additional traffic without rail (rail handles about 10 times the passengers/hour as double-occupancy cars), where do you think all of those cars are going to park? Have you ever tried to park in downtown Honolulu or Waikiki?
Gayle Nakama

Honolulu, HI

#10 Apr 7, 2008
Unemployment:

So much attention is focused on the Aloha Airlines, ATA and other businesses that are folding or deciding to close. The greatest challenge to continued growth and development is right before us, it is our people, the citizens of Hawaii. We make it happen and we make it fail.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the displaced Aloha, ATA and others affected by the closures, however, there are others needing assistance from state, county, federal or private enterprises. Hey agencies, we are still here!

Give us all a chance and help Hawaii prosper. Restore our faith in government by restoring our dignity and that is something that we all must partake in.

Next time you see someone needing help, lend a hand, open a door, offer to help, a smile goes much farther and makes that person's life much brighter. You might just be that person's shining star for that one moment in time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaau Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... (Apr '15) Nov '16 Tua Tua isa foa 12
glen hara considered legally insane as is his s... (Sep '16) Sep '16 MELODY PARKER CARS 1
ricky roy damerville being sued by fbi collage ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
News Top 10 activities on Kauai, Hawaii (Jan '16) Jan '16 Josh 1
scott owner of steamvent inn move back to hamuk... (Dec '15) Dec '15 michael steamvent... 1
News Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite (Jan '15) Jan '15 lanigirl 1
Review: Wlsn Pacific LLC (Nov '12) May '13 Kohala Hospital 3

Kapaau Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Kapaau Mortgages