Contractor changed plan for protecting Kauai bones - Hawaii News

HAENA, Kauai>> Contractors did not follow an approved plan to protect skeletal remains while building a home on Kauai's north shore in August, a state archaeologist said yesterday. Full Story
aeowynne

Honolulu, HI

#1 Nov 8, 2008
I am not surprised at the calousness of the contractor or owner. If he had any class he would have donated the land to the Hawaiians or trade it off for another parcel of land in a different area. Let me guess the contractor is not Hawaiian, is he? Because if he were he would know better than to build on a heiau. All I KNOW is if that house is built on the graves, well that man can expect to be haunted by the spirits of the people buried there. If he shows no RESPECT he will receive none. I am so sick and tired of these people moving to Hawaii and not having any RESPECT for our HAWAIIAN CULTURE!!
tama2cool2

Mililani, HI

#2 Nov 8, 2008
i cannot fathom the idea of anyone building anything over a known grave or gravesite. This behavior is typical of an "outsider". one of those whose attitude is "i got the $...get outta my way"...hmmmm...the hawaiians and their culture need to be protected like the mainland natives. The folks who come here and have no respect for the hawaiians are just arrogant and should not be tolerated. money or no money...law or no law...is all da same...act right...or go home!!
The Berrys of Dingle

AOL

#3 Nov 8, 2008
He should be heavily fined and banned from contracting in the state of Hawaii permanently!!!!!!!!
The Berrys of Dingle

AOL

#4 Nov 8, 2008
The contractor should be fined at least $50,000.
uilani

Worth, IL

#5 Nov 9, 2008
aeowynne wrote:
I am not surprised at the calousness of the contractor or owner. If he had any class he would have donated the land to the Hawaiians or trade it off for another parcel of land in a different area. Let me guess the contractor is not Hawaiian, is he? Because if he were he would know better than to build on a heiau. All I KNOW is if that house is built on the graves, well that man can expect to be haunted by the spirits of the people buried there. If he shows no RESPECT he will receive none. I am so sick and tired of these people moving to Hawaii and not having any RESPECT for our HAWAIIAN CULTURE!!
OMG get real even the hAWAIIANS HAVE NOT respect for their own culture so deal with it....so much construction over burial sites in this state and others...move on...
Mary

Honolulu, HI

#6 Nov 17, 2008
Tom....this article is filled with inacurate information....basically lies...did you call either Mr. Brescia and/or Galante Construction to get comments from them to check your information?....nothing that you quoted Nancy McMahan as saying was true....everyone especially the contractor has followed the rules to the T....there was an Archeologist on that site AT ALL TIMES... Nancy McMahan is the problem....there were NO letters of reprimand because NO ONE CHANGED THE PLANS to protect the bones because there WERE NO PLANS TO PROTECT THE BONES.... Nancy dropped the ball in protecting those graves or anyone and that was brought out in one of the court hearings...Judge Watanabe said that the problem lied between the Historic Preservation Division and the "Bones Council"...the right hand did not know what the left hand was doing....Nanacy is a fake....to date Nancy has not contacted Galante Construction via e-m or small meetings, as you wrote, to discuss anything...so Tom...I'm disappointed you did not check the facts before printing this article because you are reporting irresponsibly and promoting false information...this is a heated situation and I never see the truth printed in defense of a man who bought this land legally thru real estate agencies with absolutely no disclosure of graves....passing through escrow companies with no disclosure of graves...getting permits properly...and upon finding bones as he started his house a slew of people came down to stake claim to land and dead people they never knew existed....you need to write an article after you have contacted the opposing parties
Beast

Bulgaria

#7 Nov 17, 2008
What was the name of that Steven Spielberg movie?

This sounds very similar.
Mary

Honolulu, HI

#8 Nov 17, 2008
The Berrys of Dingle wrote:
The contractor should be fined at least $50,000.
the real estate agents who made boatloads of money from the sale and resale of that property should be fined....the planning department who gave out all the permits should be fined....Nancy McMahan should be fined.....Mr Brescia offered to sell the land to those special interest groups....you would have thought that all those Hawaiians (and fake Hawaiians)would have come together with the State and County powers to aquire that land if they were so passionate about all those dead bones!

Since: Oct 08

Kaumakani, HI

#9 Nov 17, 2008
Mary wrote:
<quoted text>
the real estate agents who made boatloads of money from the sale and resale of that property should be fined....the planning department who gave out all the permits should be fined....Nancy McMahan should be fined.....Mr Brescia offered to sell the land to those special interest groups....you would have thought that all those Hawaiians (and fake Hawaiians)would have come together with the State and County powers to aquire that land if they were so passionate about all those dead bones!
I'd be interested in knowing exactly what a "fake Hawaiian" is? Please clarify...what makes one person of the koko any less Hawaiian than another person of the koko? These people fighting the desecration of iwi in Naue are lineal descendants or long time residents of Ha'ena. They have every right, but more than that, they have the kuleana to do so. To say that Brescia was unaware of the iwi on the property is naive. This is not the first property he has developed in Naue nor the first time he has encountered burials. The responsibility for this mess falls squarely in the lap of the State Historic Preservation Division and its representative, Nancy McMahon. Beyond that, many people and entities did not behave in a manner that is pono or respectful of the burials and therefore it is not surprising what a mess we have today.
Pu ukohala

United States

#10 Nov 18, 2008
Ka Huaka i a ka Po walk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Kapaa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New record temperatures set at Lihue, Honolulu ... Oct '14 Joe Balls 1
Food bank delivers to a community in need Sep '14 Katy Means 1
Kauai Water Department wins approval of explora... (Oct '12) Sep '14 Seth Ashford 2
Kapaa Music Thread (Apr '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 14
A new lava flow begins as another ends Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Walgreens seeks to open store in Nanakuli - Bus... (Sep '08) Jun '14 tommy 52
Father Gets Probation for Making Son Walk 1 Mile Jun '14 Warren Jones 2
Kapaa Dating
Find my Match

Kapaa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Kapaa News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Kapaa

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]